Looking at a 4bay NAS

looking at a 4bay NAS

only has 2gb of RAM

are these things shit? I could build a better NAS for about the same price

Ryzen 3 with 4 HDDs and 16GB of RAM

Attached: 457155-synology.jpg (640x360, 24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

techpowerup.com/230794/synology-acknowledges-erratum-in-intel-atom-c2000-powered-nas
youtube.com/watch?v=t_P203uaAkU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>not buying a 4bay HDD enclosure and software RAID all the hard drives

yeaaah but i want it on the network also plex media and shite like that

You are right

>buying NAS with intel processors (24+ hardware security vulnerabilities and the Atom series go defect after 8 months)

techpowerup.com/230794/synology-acknowledges-erratum-in-intel-atom-c2000-powered-nas

> are these things shit?
Yes. Closed bootloader, updates can be stopped at any moment, weak hardware. The only thing they have is software working out of the box.

You're better off building your own around one of those new $50 Athlons with integrated GPU. It will probably beat any Pentium or Celeron and is $50 cheaper than a Ryzen 3.

but faster CPU is better for SMB tho.

cue the graphs my fellow autists!

youtube.com/watch?v=t_P203uaAkU

your missing the point, horses for courses. They are designed to be (somewhatt..) quiet, simple (tho they keep adding more crap) small footprint and low power usage, etc.

For what you are actually doing with a Synology, or most any other NAS, 2GB or *Gb wont make a fuck of difference, you wont even use the extra, never mind max it out.

If you were doing heavy duty video, transcoding, multiple simultaneous destinations, build something else, or if you want a VM server, buid a fucking server. But a NAS is a glorified external drive box, pimiping the fuck out of it with go faster stripes n shit wont actually make it any faster.

> I could build a better NAS for about the same price
/thread

This.

For the small insurance office with 4 people who just need a way to backup and share all their contracts to one spot, and want things easy because they aren't really techies, but the owner's son knows a thing or two about PCs, a cheap pre-built NAS is wonderful. They can have stuff getting dumped to it within a half-hour of set-up, and everything works fine for the insurance office for the next 4-5 years, at least. That's what they paid for, thats what it does, nobody complains.

For the technophile who wants a home server in a box, this isn't that. Build an actual server. Even if it's just a low-power server, just grab a $20 ATX case with a ton of internal 3.5" drive bays, a stack of your favorite HDDs, flavor-of-the-month low-power CPU and board, and boot it with unraid or a server-focused brand of linux or something.

the synology software and ease of use is what you actually are paying for

just build your own and install freenas. this is for people too stupid to build their own computers

In addition to what everyone else said - devices like this tend to have parts that are proprietary (e.g., PSU) and thus not easy to get a hold of, so having such a part die on you after the warranty runs out would tend to suck.

first post... best post?

because you have to maintain it too

Correct me if I'm wrong. I thought the advantage of NAS like these (418play) is that they have hardware decoding for h264 so it can stream 4k easily.

4bays are a meme.
You're ultimately paying them for hardware (shit, unless you're willing to pay twice the amount for it), OS, and walking you through the process (other words, not fucking it up), and a compact design.

You can build it yourself for alot cheaper. Just make sure you don't fuck it up.

I have a qnap myself. Overpriced but it was simple as hell to set up. Runs plex and madsonic. Also use it for downloading torrents and serving up TBs of lolis. No issues.

That's based on their Synology software for multimedia. I don't know how good or accessible their software is, but I'm pretty sure plex demands more hardware power, especially memory.

I've been looking at getting one of those J-series motherboards with the solders on CPU for a NAS. InWin do a 4bay case, but it's a little bigger than a typical NAS box. There is also an 8bay version too...

I just don't know what software to jam on it. FreeNas is the obvious option right?

Attached: ipc_product_MS04_l_01.jpg (960x745, 54K)

FreeNAS is a great and easy solution for data storage.
One could use FreeBSD and create the exact same setup while also learning something. Plus you could make it a multi purpose server.

They work great, especially that brand. You can cobble some shit together for less money, but it will run hotter, be louder, provide way less support for any issues or changes you wana make.

Its kind of like the apple walled garden. You have a bunch of things like apps and plugins that have been tested to hell, so you know whatever you are doing is going to work and not fuck your data.

I actually own a sysnology 1812 and packed it with 10TB drives. I really recommend them, as I used to use one of my old computers with a raid card till I had a close call with my power supply almost frying everything. They used the same one at my work so I spent some time playing with it and really liked how straightforward and simple it all was, so I bought one

Consider those thing cost 600 euros.
You can buy an HP Enterprise micro server for 300 euros. Faster CPU, more ram, Better support. Also upgrade, repairable and boss over OS and quiet as fuck, The only thing making actual sound are the disks.

Attached: serveimage.png (800x600, 271K)

>HP Enterprise micro server
4 bays vs 8, and for home use there's no need for a more powerful processor, even 2gb of memory is plenty. On the software side from what I heard HP software is shit.

But what? "the only thing making noise is the disks"? Unless the thing is suposed to be in a rack it has to have a fan.

If you look closely you'll see that OP posted a 5 bay nas.
In the hp server here is one 90mm fan that you can not hear over the disks.
>implying rack appliances don't have fans.
Also, that HP software?

>If you look closely you'll see that OP posted a 5 bay nas.
and you posted a 4 bay

Attached: 1505054813618.jpg (200x294, 21K)

One bay more at the cost of double the price, restricted software and inability to repair.
>worth it

Also at least try to make an effort and respond to all my carefully created arguments.