AMD stock coolers are horrible garbage!! Avoid!

It's building time again and I feel compelled to point out that the stock cooler included with both the Ryzen 5 2400G and the Ryzen 5 2600 is a very tiny pathetic piece of metal that doesn't even have a copper core. The included Wraith Stealth cooler is insufficient for these CPUs by a wide margin yet AMD pushes you to accept these into your home and then you're stuck with them until you either get them to a recycling center or hand them off to someone dumb enough to accept them. They could be fine for a 35W TDP CPU, but they sure aren't close to big enough to cool down a 65W.

Using the stock cooler will make the CPU run a lot slower and cost you performance. You absolutely must resist. Various shills have claimed it's good enough because the CPUs don't overheat with the stock cooler. Well, that's not strange, THEY THROTTLE. As an example, the 2400G with no overclocking can go to 3.85 GHz (supposed "boost") and stay there for hours with all cores loaded with a real cooler (like the one I will abuse for this build). It barely stays at 3.6 GHz with the stock cooler and it's loud fan running at full speed.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. I TRIED TO WARN YOU BUT YOU PROBABLY WON'T LISTEN.

Attached: try-to-warn-them-but-they-wont-listen.jpg (4160x3120, 2.79M)

Other urls found in this thread:

guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_5_2400g_review,34.html
anandtech.com/show/12425/marrying-vega-and-zen-the-amd-ryzen-5-2400g-review
tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-5-2400g-zen-vega-cpu-gpu,5467-5.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

it's worth noting that the stock Cooler Master made cooler is specially bad on the APUs because the VEGA GPU part will also clock down due to insufficient cooling.

Post this on /pcbg/

>Ryzen 5
>X470 chipset
What did he mean by this?

We had literally same thread yesterday but abought asrock non-public beta bios having bugs (which is why it's non-public beta). Looks like shilling to me.
AMD stock coolers are incredible.

>AMD stock cooler
>shit
Tell me something I ALREADY DON'T FUCKING KNOW

gold rated psus are a meme

Literally any stock cooler is shit whether intel or amd just get the meme evo cooler if you are such a baby about it

Ehh. It's not shit. It's not great, but it's usable if you don't overclock and have otherwise good case cooling. That said I want to replace the cooler on mine. Any recommendations?

I guess I should but I doubt they will listen. They never do.

The (only) reason I bought the normally much more expensive ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F instead of the usually much cheaper STRIX B450-F or some other B450 board was that there happened to be a really good weekend sale on it at a local webshop. The choice is obvious if you can get the X470 at the same price as the B450 even if it's basically the exact same board. And it is. For example, the X470 chipset supports two more SATA ports yet both the X470-F and B450-F come with six so it's not like they've bothered to add the extras the X470 supports.

>asrock non-public beta bios
The broken AGESA BIOSes are, in fact, not beta. Gigabyte lists them as stable releases on their website which is why I ended up with a unbootable system and complained about it yesterday.

>shilling
more like shitposting

>gold rated psus are a meme
The EVGA G2's were made by SuperFlower. I've used them in other systems and really like those, prefer them over the G3. But that wasn't the reason for buying it or a gold one, it was 30% off a few weeks ago (probably because the G2 series is discontinued).

>put 30 dollar fan on cpu
>never gets goes above 50c under load now

Attached: 3063.png (386x444, 67K)

Cryorig H7

>it's usable if you don't overclock
Sure, you can use it. But it doesn't perform very well. And it's not about overclocking, not intentional anyway. The Ryzen 2000 series CPUs have this builtin boost thing which takes temperature sensors into account and adjusts clockspeed accordingly and this happens with stock settings.

I put the stock cooler on the 2400G when I bought that for my HTPC. It was loud and annoying. I also noticed that there was just a very brief clock boost when I did stuff like compiling the kernel (uses all cores with make -j9) and then it would drop down and stay down while k10temp reported 70C but never more. It appears to be the limit where it clocks down to protect itself. You can see how this plays out by running something like watch "sensors;cpumonitor info".

I didn't replace the shitty stock cooler with a bigger 150W TDP Arctic Freezer 33 to get higher clocks, I did not yet know. I did so because I found the stock cooler's cooler master fan (it's them who make these) to be too loud. Only then did I discover that the 2000 series goes near "boost-clock" and stays there permanently as long as Tdie/Tctl is way lower than the 70C limit. Cooling does matter for performance which is why the pathetic stock cooler is so disappointing.

As for cooler recommendations, I'm happy with the Arctic Freezer 33 but it is quite frankly a bit expensive. Generally, I highly recommend that you buy one with a TDP rating massively above your CPUs. It'll be a lot quieter.

Attached: kernel-compile-2400G-2018-09-07.jpg (1063x906, 203K)

>GUYS
>HEY GUYS
>GUYS
>THINGS THAT COST MONEY
>GUYS
>YOU ARE NOT GONNA BELIEVE ME BUT GUYS
>THINGS THAT COST MONEY ARE BETTER THAN FREE ONES
>YOU'VE BEEN WARNED. YOU CAN THANK ME LATER.

Good goy, remember that only intel makes """"quality"""" coolers

Attached: shit.png (1500x1500, 1.27M)

wait those are the shitty fans that intel comes with? i take it back .. dell sells machines with better heatsinks than either of those 2 manufacturers.

(and the dell cpu fans are pretty shit)

Stock coolers aren't free, just included in the cost of the CPU. So they should either increase the price by $5 and include one that's acceptable or decrease price slightly and not include on at all.

and this is a prime example, I know some OEMs do use those "coolers" but I don't know a single person with an Intel CPU who's running a rig with one of those.

Hyper 212 Evo or X.

is the wraith spire I got with my 2700x okay?

You tell me, I don't have it. But my guess would be NO given that the AMD product page says the 2700X is a 105W TDP CPU. The 2400G and 2600 are 65W TDP parts. I'm guessing the Wraith Spire would be just fine for those 65W parts but there no way in hell I'd put that shit on a 105 TDP CPU.

Are you sure that's what was included, btw? I thought they bundled the Wraith max or Wraith Prism or whatever their "biggest" stock cooler is with the 2700X. I can't believe they would ship that Wraith Spire with it. But perhaps they do, I would not put that past them since they include that Wraith Stealth garbage with parts that should, at minimum, have the Wraith Spire.

One last detail, I now have 3 Wraith Stealth, one used for a short period, two never used. Do what with them, throw them out the window? Throw them in AMDs office window?

Attached: AMD-new-Wraith-coolers-1.jpg (1200x670, 189K)

2700X should came with Wraith Prism.

Wait... how tech illiterated are you?

Buy NOCTUA motherfucker.

Stealth is rated for 65W, Spire for 95W and Max for 125W
The 2700X should come with the Wraith Prism (which is pretty much the same as Max but with disco lights)
>Do what with them
You can sell then on eBay, they're fine heatsinks for casual usage, and great for hobbo electronics projects

Learn to build a PC properly with some airflow through the case, these ryzen coolers are fine, I can play any AAA 2018 videogame without any of my fans barely speeding up

I'm running a r5 1600 at 3.8 ghz on stock cooler with no problems. I can push it to 3.9 ghz and stay below 80c if I don't run it at 100% and it stays around 70c during regular loads like gaymen.

Attached: _0.gif (498x498, 613K)

Attached: 692.png (851x680, 386K)

Stop trying to herd every interesting thread into all these disgusting generals sucking the life out of every board.

I have the stock one for my R7 1700. Work fine and OC'ed it every one in a while. Sounds like an operator problem.

I've got the 2400g, with no overclocking & stock colder, it routinely gotta +70°C under use. Ordering a replacement this weekend, because that's awful if you're the type of person to keep boxes for a long time.

the 2700x comes with a RGB cooler.

Attached: Ryzen-7-2700X-fan-620x348.jpg (620x348, 32K)

70c is nothing to a modern cpu.

>CPU's are running as fast as the possibly can past their stock speed within thermal limits automatically.
>This is a bad thing.

The only other person in this thread who understands how AMD auto overclocking works and how it relates to temperature.
I put a 220w TDP cooler on my 2600X and it runs at 4.2 ghz constantly when loaded because the temp never gets above 60*.

Attached: 20150303_200830_hacadhi.png (500x376, 70K)

maybe you can answer this , why does the 2700x have a +20c offset on the temps shown?

I built a 2400g with stock cooler. Works perfectly fine for me. Maybe you just need to git gud.

because all AMD CPU's have offsets, use ryzen master instead

My 2600 has no problem maintaining it's boost indefinitely on stock cooler. Maybe you have shitty thermal compound?

I have a pretty different experience. Mine is pretty quiet; not 100% silent, but not bad either. Load temps are in the 60s, idle in the 30s. (of course, all relative depending on ambient temperature). Maybe yours is defective or poorly mounted.

Bottom line, I have no real complaints for it with respect to it being a minimal stock cooler. Obviously, other 3rd party cooler, and even the other higher end AMD stock coolers are better, but the 2400g stealth cooler isn't "bad" either. At least in my experience.

I may have lucked out though.

Literal shilling. My stock cooled 2700x is inaudible and never gets hot. Most of the temp I feel coming out is from the gpu.

What temps are you getting under load?

60s usually with ~20 degrees ambient.

>those plastic pins

Damn. That's ten cooler than mine on average. I wonder if it's a quality control thing, or I fucked up on install somehow.

Must be a golden bin, my 2600X got up to 75 with the stock cooler even with 2 140mm corsair ML fans blowing at it

2600 cooler is not good.
But its decent on 2600x, good on 2700 and excellent on 2700x.
Of course you'd know that if you bothered to read reviews before buying shit.

The R7 1700 came with the Wraith Spire & and the first generation doesn't have the temperature sensors the second has and it doesn't adjust the clocks the same way.

yeah get a big cooler for it

70c is hot but the more important issue is that it's where the 2400G said "I'm too hot now" and clocks down.

I'm guessing it's a question of "under load". If you play some game that uses a core or two at 100% then you're looking at a situation that's different from something like compiling or video encoding which loads all cores and threads

you probably didn't screw anything up, could be a result of the silicone lottery or "load" not actually using all the cores at 100%

AMD should have dropped the Wraith Stealth and went with the Wraith Spire as the minimum. I'm guessing the cost of isn't that much higher

>flashing your BIOS
What, your LEDs didn't work like you wanted them to, faggot??!? Grow up and take responsability for your actions, nobody forced you to flash the damn thing, you decided to.

>they never listen to my 8 pages long shill post
i wonder why no one talks to you user

I have a 1600 OC to 3.8ghz too. It's been running fine on stock cooler for well over a year now.

>amd stock coolers are shit

thats weird you know cause literally no one is complaining about them

Wraith prism, wraith max, and wraith spire are the best stock coolers on the market by a mile. The wraith stealth is made for ultra cheap OEM builds, not gaming machines.

Attached: 102426-pinnacle-AM4-wraith-cooler-lineup-prism-addition-1260_0.jpg (1260x414, 115K)

>WRAITH STEALTH IS BAD
>T-TRUST ME GUYS I KNOW ABOUT TECHNOLOGY

meanwhile at every benchmark that has being made
guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_5_2400g_review,34.html
anandtech.com/show/12425/marrying-vega-and-zen-the-amd-ryzen-5-2400g-review
tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-5-2400g-zen-vega-cpu-gpu,5467-5.html

kek this thread doesnt even deserve a (you)

Intel push-pins are absolute garbage.

Not sure about ryzen 2xxx stock coolers, but ryzen 1600 cooler was more than usable. When I replaced it with noctua nh-u12s all I won was 6 degrees celsius.

My noctua D15 only runs about 5-6c better than my wraith prism did with my 2700x.

Kind of insane considering the size difference.

The Ryzen 1600 has a TDP of 65W. The 2600 also has a TDP of 65W.

What did AMD mean by bundling the 1600 with the Wraith Spire and the 2400G and the 2600 with the much smaller Wraith Stealth?

not sure about the higher end ones, but my stock R3-2200G barely warms up at all
i have enough case cooling coming from an overclocked 8320 that the thing won't even overhead under full load with the cpu fan outright turned off

because the stealth is capable of 65 watts tdp
its perfectly normal for non oc users if you want to overclock go buy a fucking better cooler instead of shitting on amd that they didnt bundled a monster like on threadripper

I used this fan on a i5-4590 for a year and it was silent and functional.

If you don't know shit about anything, lurk moar

why didnt amd shipped wraith max on ryzen 5 and wraith spire at ryzen 3?

why didnt amd bundled wraith ripper to ryzen 7 and wraith max on ryzen 5?

ontological questions