Raspberry Pi as a daily driver

I am almost broke and my computer has shat itself. I was wondering that maybe I could buy a Raspberry Pi with a nice case and use it as my main computer.

Would a Raspberry be usable for this? I just want to be able to do the typical normie shit (web browsing, movies, maybe some text processing) comfortably enough.

Attached: 41CdYS1EvWL._SX425_.jpg (425x425, 13K)

Other urls found in this thread:

warosu.org/g/thread/67368760
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Get an odroid xu4 or other faster SBC. RPi is too slow for most things.

it can't run 30 fps 1080p videos on youtube so prob no

this but I've heard people getting these broken and unable to boot without getting a refund

Which one? A 3 might be usable.

why buy new?
buy some used computer on craigslist

Nah mate, have a look at a Dual core i5 intel NUC (specifically I've had the quad core celeron - ITS SHIT) that will do plenty for you man.

The last one, the raspberry pi 3 b+

web browsing and internet browser nowadays isn't as light as it used to be, adblocker helps tho. as for movies, it depends on the quality you usually watch. you'll be fine with yify tier movies but will struggle with better quality movies.

dude, for around what you'd spend on a pi and accessories you can get a used computer off craigslist that'll run circles around it

Probably better to get an old 2 hand laptop or desktop. A core 2 duo and 2-4gb is enough for almost all people.

you can usually get something like this or better for around forty bucks if you just shop around

raspi is still fucking useless as a daily driver

>buying celery anything
ya done goofed

Poor people are bad at being poor

If you're poor, fucking save up to buy nicer things, stop buying cheap things. You know it's going to break and cost more to repair than it would to keep so why bother?

Save up for longer (even if it fucking sucks) and then find some cheapo laptop/desktop, most people will throw that shit away for free or very cheap because it takes up too much space.

Then you use that for like a year, after that you'll save up enough to upgrade for a cheapo decent PC, buy it on Amazon because they give no complaints returns, shit they'll even say sorry and give you a gift card most of the time.

You're like that worker who buys a new pair of shoes for $20 every month because they break, meanwhile someone who can afford a $150 pair of shoes keeps them for 2 years. It's just the same with tech, you'll buy cheapo headphones, cheapo mice, cheapo keyboards, cheapo everything..They all fucking break after a few months and you know it.

Just look on eBay for $100 dell from 2010.

Just buy afucking used thinkpad for $50-70. It will be 5-10x faster than rapspberry pi while total cost will be 2-4x less.

Somethings are better bought cheap.

Buying a dozen cheap $1 earphones are better than buying $120 earphone that lasts 2 years.

yeah, that raspi + nice case money alone is probably enough for something used/refurb

I don't know about youtube, but it should play 60fps 1080p videos in the OS with proper drivers.

>all this shit advice
Probably better to buy something else used, but considering the low electricity it needs the pi isn't too bad. What do you need it for? Office and going online? It does that pretty well. Also cheap as fuck
>35 dollar pi
>5 -10 dollar micro SD if you don't have one already
>5 dollar HDMI if you don't have one
Pretty cheap, doesn't need a lot of energy and is decent for going online and stuff like that.
Also you don't really need a case. And if you do just make one yourself. So yeah you can use a pi reasonably well.

Not everyone has shit for ears, you get entry level audiophile for $50

no way dude, $1 earphones last a damn week before one ear stops working

plus they sound like shit

Then buy dozen $5 earphones. That lasts few months each.

Whatever the case, it will be the better option.

>buy $100 monitor
>buy $10 shitty microSD that goes 1-2MBps speed KEK

OR

>buy $50 thinkpad
>buy $20 60 GB SSD
Enjoy it

i'd say $10 minimum for earbuds unless you are ok with absolute garbage.

3 would work for text editing and maybe surfing the web. You wont be multi tasking.

It was only for use as a HTPC.

I bought a Raspberry Pi to use as an OpenBSD box but it turns out B+ models aren't supported yet. I even bought USB/TTL convertor to do the necessary firmware changes on the rpi to boot OpenBSD. Not sure what to do with it now, might wait till openbsd support improves or install another *bsd.

Attached: two_and_a_half_xans.jpg (1500x1500, 587K)

Forgot the monitor but it's not unlikely that he has some sort of monitor or television to connect to. Also I don't now what you are talking about. I bought a 10 dollar sd card and it's much faster than 1 or 2 MB. Also it doesn't even matter if he only wants to go online and use office. Unfortunately we have no idea what OP wants his computer to do.

Yeah, going Celeron will do you little good unless you'd enjoy posting your painful experience for the amusement of Jow Forums. Like this recent user:
warosu.org/g/thread/67368760

Except a Raspberry Pi is not a fragile device, your argument is retarded.

dude just visit your local goodwill

They finally unlinked the ethernet and sd bus, looks like. Still, the max speed you'll get is 10-20 MBps on those SD cards. That's 1/5 of the speed of a shitty hard drive.

Yes. I got a $7 case for mine and it looks and works great for basic computing. I think it’s a better choice than some old, loud and clunky goodwill PC.

Since this is an SBC thread: Debian Stretch Minimal or DietPi? It's for a rock64 but they both seem well-supported so it's down to which one is the best OS

nooooo dude
just get any laptop with an i5, even a 1st gen will perform better than any low-power meme. you'll regret living that way

Dumpster diving is the solution.

I got the parts for an AMD build for a friend and I literally put everything together in a cardboard box.

Don't. Get a used computer from cg, eBay or goodwill.
Essentially this is so true. Do proper evaluations, make proper decisions. I always say: I'm too poor to buy cheap.

Attached: 1328624037782.gif (300x215, 2.9M)

I think the main thing that'll get the RasPi past being "just" a tinker board is more RAM, which to me seems like it's principle limitation.

where do you dumpster dive my dude