Jow Forums which do prefer vim or emacs ?

Jow Forums which do prefer vim or emacs ?

Attached: vim-5.jpg (720x365, 61K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/c0llision/dotfiles/blob/master/vimrc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Vim. Emacs's default keybinds are RSI inducing crap and the elisp ecosystem is a Jenga tower of suck.

I prefer a more functional text editor like Sublime, Atom or VSCode

vim

The only reason people like emacs (evil) is because of vim *dabs on vimlets*

>I prefer a less functional but pretty looking one because I like shiny things because I have down syndrome text editor like Sublime, Atom or VSCode
ftfy

vscode browserified as Theia ought to be pretty good as part of Eclipse Che's next release. Pretty and available vi keybinds is always good.

I guess shiny is fine, but vi key binds suck

No other fucking editor can compete with vim once the user customizes it using vimrc

Attached: screenshot-2018-08-04_14-16-37.jpg (1600x900, 743K)

they are both crap and obsolete

Nano

Emacs. with just minimal customization you get a really powerful text editor and besides that it is fascinating how much you can use it for, org-mode for note taking and calender, mu4e for email, elfeed for rss and opening websites inside of it with xwidgets, emms for music, etc.
I dont understand people who are complaining about keybindings, I never had a problem with it. Pressing ctrl for every keybinding is not much different than pressing shift for capitalizing words.

It doesn't even have an IRC client, it's unusable.

JetBrains + Vim keybinding
And you're god.

Post your vimrcs

Vim has some very straight shortcomings that I think Emacs can solve. As much as you customize there are somethings it simply can't do.

That said, though, I still think Emacs bindings are garbage and are repetitive. Or, maybe I don't understand it enough - yet.

no

emacs. I'm planning to switch to vim for a while though to see what it's all about, I never bothered with it

Today I discovered the power of recording macros on vim, so as of right now I prefer vim.

you can do that on emacs though as well.

They're both terrible

mcedit

am i faggot?
i never understood vim.
I always have been using nano

Both is the correct answer. First Vim for learning and then Emacs but with Vim motions

>picture related

Attached: 1299460506698.png (301x397, 214K)

vim for quick edits
vs code for anything serious
i don't even use vim bindings on vs code though desu

Attached: vimrc.png (1918x1060, 330K)

vim but only because I haven't ever really used emacs

I'll switch to emacs if you switch to vim

vim has the best colorschemes
it's not fair desu

You need all that to make it usable? YIKES.

Solarized Dark is THE color scheme and it is available for almost everything imaginable

Monokai or die

gooby pls

Attached: 1536236853386.gif (149x181, 835K)

Emacs. Also everyone who complains about keys can always use evil so check mate him users

A lot of that stuff is unnecessary, but is nice to have. I get your point though. By far the biggest disadvantage of vim is it's creator's retarded obsession with making vim vi-compatible by default. It does take a lot of research to make it truly powerful. We got to the point where half of the plugins written for vim do something that it already can do, but the creator was unaware of, due to how hidden away everything is.

Attached: 1533727651785.jpg (400x398, 63K)

>him

vim of course.

Attached: 85e.jpg (764x551, 263K)

ugly as shit

Where's your minimap bitch?

Ok I'm gonna blindly copy paste every single line of this

vim, but both are fine. I have emacs installed with evil mode. it's nice for reading gnu info pages, since evil lets me page through it with j/k instead of arrows

both are actual trash.
Im making my own from scrap, this will force me to learn all the shortcuts instead of having to check a fucking manual

I prefer a text editor I don't have the learn 20 commands to do something my cursor can do.

wrong on both accounts

I can't post it, but some stats:
>244 lines, 119 without comments/spacing
>18 misc remappings
>30 fugitive remappings
>8 other mappings
>23 plugins, 3 of which I wrote
>the rest are minor settings changes

Still a recovering plugin junky, but I keep things minimal for the most part.

Richard, is that you!?

Mousepad!

Attached: 1403116732838.jpg (700x714, 34K)

vi keybinds in shiny is trash. VSCode isn't bad if you're doing anything JS related.

I just use plain old vim, but if I were to use something heavier, I'd want it to have the binds I'm used to.

After learning the very basics in vim, I basically just occasionally try stuff out to see if it works how I think, and I've learned a lot of the more advanced stuff that way.

Both

Attached: 2018-09-04-1536034004.png (1286x1012, 107K)

no, im his ex, he forces me to use both of those editors and asks me which one is superior every week. I banned him on Skype fucking done with that loser

Emacs but it is a massive bloat

Its creator looks like a bloated corpse

I can see bloat if you're working on like an 8086 or something but does it really matter if you're on a modern desktop/laptop?

mister stallman is a very sexy man

Attached: rms-pose.png (640x377, 228K)

Doom Emacs

/thread

>derivative crap
Why not just configure emacs how you like and avoid their weird branding and bloat?

>youbloateme
>c++
>polybloat
>all those color scheme
>icons on a terminal
>bloatline
>bloatline themes
>bloat tree
>more bloat tree stuff
please be bait

WEAK! my vimrc is 4236 lines more than 200 mapping plus many many functions bitch please! Go back to nano

Attached: 1535141637854.gif (310x325, 1.94M)

vim for general text editing. emacs org mode and evil mode for note taking and making easy latex PDF documents

>Emacs's default keybinds are RSI inducing crap
It's not a problem because Emacs commands are more powerful than Vim commands.

>Vim: delete a word
>Emacs: delete all instances of a method call foo on variables of type bar, replace the ones that occur as an expression with a string "spam" and replace the ones that occur as a statement with log.print("do thing")

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-09-08 at 2.05.45 AM.png (1944x1774, 630K)

Emacs for literally everything except browsing.

What do the functions do?

And text editing...

>using plugins on vim
I seriously hope etc. etc.

Emacs with vim keybindings because I don't have 20 fingers.

Emacs

Because org-mode and the keybindings are a non-issue once you get a non-shit keyboard that allows you to press CTRL with your palm.

Emacs
>M-x shell
>M-x gnus
>M-x erc-tls
>M-x Tetris
Vim kiddies will never know.
>Muh muh RSI
Prove it other than some meme
you have weak ass pinky.

I've been using both for a couple of years and I can say that emacs is just better at managing the workspace, while vim is just plain faster in the startup and I tend to use it just for fast editing when I need to access a single file fast. Everyone saying that emacs is RSI inducing crap is fucking retarded and doesn't know about evil which comes even pre-installed on some dists (like spacemacs). The reason I switched to emacs is mainly because I changed my keyboard layout from querty to colemak and I needed and editor that could give me the same vim bindings in the querty keyboard but on a colemak keyboard (with some changes). The answerd was emacs because with its evil mode I edit the keys from scratch instead of remapping everything using nnoremap which made my .vimrc an abomination. In the end I discovered that emacs has much fancier plugins and elisp is slower to load but way faster to execute. If you don't like it there is always guile-emacs which allows you to use the blazing fast guile scheme to even make multi-threaded configurations/plugins for the editor.

>TRAMP
>evil-mode
>org-mode
>magit

I honestly don't see why anyone would ever use vim.

RMS didn't create emacs

Ok Linus.

Why would I need either of these applications?

YOU don't.

VIM because I'm pretty sure all the Emacs users are too gay to figure out all the intricacies of it and that makes them jealous.

Vim is actually quite fun to use with a 60% keyboard.

But I still have to figure out how to use Vim effectively with bigger than single file projects.

Also :
>occur
>ediff
>eshell (protip: there are eshell specific command in eshell, like find-file which will open the file in a buffer)

I use Atom

emacs with modal control

can you do bash completion in eshell? i've only used ansi-term

you do realize emacs is MUCH bigger and more complicated than such a simple thing like mere text editor vim, right?

Spacemacs is actually really badly written.
doom-emacs is the objectively superior evil distribution.

Vim is a guy (female)

nano works for most cases if you learn to use it (that is read the keybindings)
vim should better if you're programming and refactor often, but for admin work (edit config files, scripts, etc) nano will be fine

may I know the usefulness of using two vim buffers in one console? Why wouldn't you just open another emulator, I mean you're already using i3

I use Vim haven't tried Emacs. Discovered Vim because of Rangers bulk renaming. I use it mostly for quick edits.

I use Emacs with Vim keybindings. You get the best of both worlds. Emacs is so customizable, it feels more like a text editor framework rather than just an editor. I have my configuration files split into multiple different files to handle core functionalities I want and some languages.

github.com/c0llision/dotfiles/blob/master/vimrc

You should use ed instead. Ed is the editor that doesn't waste my VALUABLE time.

Ed, man! !man ed

ED(1) UNIX Programmer's Manual ED(1)

NAME
ed - text editor

SYNOPSIS
ed [ - ] [ -x ] [ name ]
DESCRIPTION
Ed is the standard text editor.
---

Computer Scientists love ed, not just because it comes first
alphabetically, but because it's the standard. Everyone else loves ed
because it's ED!

"Ed is the standard text editor."

Let's look at a typical novice's session with the mighty ed:

golem> ed

?
help
?
?
?
quit
?
exit
?
bye
?
hello?
?
eat flaming death
?
^C
?
^C
?
^D
?

---
Note the consistent user interface and error reportage. Ed is
generous enough to flag errors, yet prudent enough not to overwhelm
the novice with verbosity.

"Ed is the standard text editor."

Ed, the greatest WYGIWYG editor of all.

When I use an editor, I don't want eight extra KILOBYTES of worthless help screens and cursor positioning code! I just want an EDitor!! Not a “viitor”. Not a “emacsitor”. Those aren't even WORDS!!!! ED! ED! ED IS THE STANDARD!!!

TEXT EDITOR.

When IBM, in its ever-present omnipotence, needed to base their “edlin” on a Unix standard, did they mimic vi? No. Emacs? Surely you jest. They chose the most karmic editor of all. The standard.

Ed is for those who can remember what they are working on. If you are an idiot, you should use Emacs. If you are an Emacs, you should not be vi. If you use ED, you are on THE PATH TO REDEMPTION. THE SO-CALLED “VISUAL” EDITORS HAVE BEEN PLACED HERE BY ED TO TEMPT THE FAITHLESS. DO NOT GIVE IN!!! THE MIGHTY ED HAS SPOKEN!!!

?

emacs has a built in file manager dired and you can also do bulk rename in it.

y u du dis Dolan?

>since evil lets me page through it with j/k instead of arrows
Wattafak? That's exactly what Vim does...

>he sacrifices productivity for his cursor
Please be bait
Visual Studio Code is bad no matter how you look at it.
It does because using bloat encourages more heavy software and heavy software = bad software
Cringe and bluepilled
Based and redpilled
Because you are, hopefully, a rational human being who can see that they are the best choices.
He does, and so need you...
So based and so redpilled, this is true /thread

Real word applications: none

You have to go back

>bloat
>heavy
these are completely subjective and not very meaningfull terms.