What's their end game?

What's their end game?

Attached: Microsoft-loves-Linux.png (728x408, 45K)

Other urls found in this thread:

microsoft.com/en-us/azure-sphere/details/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Embrace, Extend, Extinguish

to release a windows based open source linux
it will finally be the end of loonix
just imagine all the loonix nerds foaming that the "year of the linux" will come because of microsoft - the normies will all be switching to linux alright - MSFT Linux
entire distros dev teams will commit seppuku

Attached: loonix.png (167x128, 25K)

Full Annexation

This

If that happens, everyone will move to OpenBSD
>This kills the microsoft

pls don't leave us, the botnet needs you. Here, look, here's you're GNU right here.

Why run some shitty distro when all the software runs in a container on Windows? Literally no reason except for tin hats.

Why run some shitty windows version when all the software runs in a container on Linux? Literally no reason except for shilling.

> If Microsoft ever does applications for Linux it means I've won.

- Linux Torvalds

or do what apple did and just make a skin for BSD

That's old microsoft.
New microsoft is "Embrace, Extend, Fill with ads and it eventually dies by itself"

The whole point of linux is having a more efficient and stable kernel running on your PC.
You should at least have a pendrive with a liveboot linux to do your internet banking.

>entire distros dev teams will commit seppuku

you do know bunch of them have no honor
those sjw cucks wont do shit

I think they're going to make many options to use GNU/Linux from Windows and some tools for Linux that Linux users will use as well, e.g. Visual Studio Code. When Linux users get used to Windows being able to run Linux and the same tools on both Windows and Linux, they'll start using Windows out of convenience and this creates a possibility that they'll stay Windows users.

from microsoft.com/en-us/azure-sphere/details/
>A custom Linux kernel enables silicon diversity and innovation.
but
>The Linux kernel is released under the GNU General Public License version 2 (GPLv2),[6][18] with some firmware images released under various non-free licenses.[8]
>The GNU General Public License (GNU GPL or GPL) is a widely used free software license, which guarantees end users the freedom to run, study, share and modify the software.[7] The license was originally written by Richard Stallman of the Free Software Foundation (FSF) for the GNU Project, and grants the recipients of a computer program the rights of the Free Software Definition.[8] The GPL is a copyleft license, which means that derivative work can only be distributed under the same license terms.

is Microsoft committing seppuku here?

Attached: 1525422070108.jpg (3264x2448, 711K)

To remove Linux from the market.
Microsoft is buying up open-source

Attached: 1536266785229.png (633x692, 327K)

Please cite one time in history when it worked.

Office documents: In a memo to the Office product group in 1998, Bill Gates stated: "One thing we have got to change in our strategy—allowing Office documents to be rendered very well by other peoples browsers is one of the most destructive things we could do to the company. We have to stop putting any effort into this and make sure that Office documents very well depends on PROPRIETARY IE capabilities. Anything else is suicide for our platform. This is a case where Office has to avoid doing something to destory Windows."

Cloud

If God is really just they will replace NT with Linux.

>GPLv2
Microsoft can make Linux its bitch if they want

explain how?

>Embrace, Extend, Extinguish
They embraced nothing, they were Office. Please tell me when they destroy something that was not theirs.

MS already makes massive contributions to the linux kernel, moreso than any other single organization. At this point, everyone is using a Microsoft OS whether you like it or not.

Attached: 1509265963936.jpg (1024x576, 108K)

Internet Explorer and MSN.

Embrace doesn't mean what you think it means.

"Embrace: Development of software substantially compatible with a competing product, or implementing a public standard."

>Internet Explorer and MSN.
Those are M$ products. When did they kill a concurrent product with the EEE method?

>competing product, or implementing a public standard
COMPETING PRODUCT
PUBLIC STANDARD

When did it happen? Did they succeed?

If you weren't a underage you would know that it was basically impossible to browse the web in late 90's if you weren't using IE, so it did work to a extent until they got sued to hell. About MSN, they adopted the AOL IM's protocol and modified it thus making it incompatible with their messenger.

I'm 35
>impossible to browse the web in late 90's if you weren't using IE
was browsing the web under GNU/Linux at that time and it was OK. And did they extinguish the web or did the web win? They lost that fight, today they have to comply standard. The only thing they did that modify the web was the creation of AJAX, and it was a good thing.
>so it did work to a extent
You're totally dreaming user, totally.

>they adopted the AOL IM's protocol and modified it thus making it incompatible with their
Ho, yes that's how they killed AOL IM, AOL died with AOL... You're funny user. Stop believing that boogeyman are real, you're ridiculous.

So no actual examples but you want to call others underage.
Got it.

They're actually using a new tactic, but you guys keep posting the EEE meme WHICH only came out because of the lawsuit. Since Ballmer's departure they're using a much more effective tactic that isn't as overtly aggressive as EEE, and yes it does have a name. You guys don't know what it's called though because YOU JUST KEEP REGURGITATING MEMES.

Anyone who's taken a high school biz course is taught what nuMS does nowadays, it's an exceptionally simple concept.

Could you develop?

cringe and bluepilled

god damn, reading that made me hard

Basically the elites who want total control of the glub-nubs get wealthy philanthropists on their side by selling them a story about how people aren't responsible enough for technology, and that if they don't control what people are allowed to use, everyone's going to start using Linux to make briefcase-nukes. So the purpose of "tech companies" like Microsoft, Apple, or even Nintendo is to make new machines as weak, useless, limited, and controllable by governments as possible. Getting rid of Linux is an added security measure for them, basically.

I was using Netscape fine.
Dumb ass!

>So the purpose of "tech companies" like Microsoft, Apple, or even Nintendo is to make new machines as weak, useless, limited, and controllable by governments as possible
You're right the TCG want to get rid of our freedom. But not for governments, just to force us to buy videos, music, wallpapers, etc. They want to monetize everything in the web. They want monopoles.

I'm still using netscape.

Wouldn't this be possible? Just make the OS open source but keep shit like DirectX closed source. It's not like they are getting money from people buying Windows 10 anyway, they are getting money from ads, data collection and enterprise support.

FPBP

Attached: lehappyshark.png (504x566, 18K)

This, he has already won

Quit talking out of your ass, they are not the top.

Sell more Azure

Office
OneDrive
Store sales

>Office
Can still closed source, maybe relying on their closed source framework
>OneDrive
Same as above
>Store sales
You can sell GPL2 software just fine, but they can still make the OS "free" and sell keys to download their framework that makes it run .exe and shit like that.

They just wanna be ibm. Thats all they want. And they are spending all their resources on it.

They want to be best friends with intel and IBM.

But it's Linus and his trusted partners who accept the pull requests and code commits, not Microsoft shoving their cocks in. If the code is good, it goes in, doesn't matter who.

I came here to say this. Fpbp.

Attached: b85.gif (500x375, 1.72M)

Gib sauce plz

If it's licensed under GPL then I really don't care who develops it.

Attached: 1529984745161.jpg (350x350, 40K)

takes literally one click to find out you fucking cunt, fuck you and your sauce

Embrace, extend, and extinguish

HOLY FUCK THANKS! I didn't know this existed!

Attached: Screenshot_Clover_20180908-100512.png (1080x1920, 945K)

cringe

this

Attached: 1492129213531.png (1098x1645, 1.09M)

Does MS AZURE use win server or loonix?

autism

Windows is behind systemd
prove me wrong

Burden of proof lies with you faggot

i don't see much of the extinguish
why kill it if they can dominate linux-based commercial services field
refusing free (and open source) help, coding, testing and troubleshooting for their products (well, services)?
I think it transformed into Embrace and Commercialize.
After realizing that simply refusing to do something or be somewhere (Android apps, for example) doesn't help them - people won't just go to their platforms, instead of losing by not doing anything, they now do something. Something like, locking people into their ecosystem on other platforms, like they do with mandatory ms account login for Office apps on mobile.

Tell me if it's something like this

REMINDER:
The "Linux" Subsystem in Windows 10 is NOT Linux. It has a Linux-kernel compatibility layer, made by Microsoft using clean room engineering. It has no code from kernel.org (yes, with closed sores you will never know for sure, but let's believe them). It's rather an abomination that could be called GNU/NT or just GNU but definitely not Linux.

When one of your many business is IaaS, then multi OS support is a plus

Also, the age of local computing where the standard consumer owns a Windows box on a desk is coming to an end.

Dominance, the same reason why Google buys start-ups.

true, but microsoft is blatantly lying about that desu
>pic related

Attached: WSL-Windows-10.jpg (1268x664, 258K)

To destroy it.

Except, how are they extending in a way that makes everyone use what they are doing?

Who cares? It would still be Linux. We could all celebrate the death of the Botnet.

vidya

Don't really get how IP work, but shouldn't WinXP sources be in public domain by now?

I for one would really like an open source OS that's not derived from UNIX. A fresh start.

Attached: micro.png (728x408, 24K)

kek

Java for a few years

Destroy UNIX

Pretty sure Tux isn't an emperor penguin. Who is that penguin?

Attached: 1532882710106.png (247x247, 31K)

It's just an iteration of the true and tried soul vs. soulless meme. Don't think too hard on that

Microsoft subsystem for linux is a pathetic attempt to stop you from wiping windows from your computer and installing GNU/Linux, like people with common sense should.

That was only for one release because they had to dump a bunch of hyperv code for gpl compliance.

To delete my dualboot partition, and they've been successful

Attached: Screenshot (38).png (1920x1080, 130K)