Uefi > bios

Why do y'all zoomers always hate on the GUI. Look how pretty that stuff is.

Attached: uefi.jpg (800x572, 285K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xdcvhZZIXUE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

go back to /v/ you have no idea what those terms mean

idiot of the day
youtube.com/watch?v=xdcvhZZIXUE

Nice try NSA

I don't want to waste 512 MiB of disk space just to have a ESP partition so I can boot my operating system. MBR was good enough to kickstart GRUB, and a boot partition with plenty of space for kernels and initramfs takes up less space. Oh, and don't forget broken backwards compatibility. Loading some init code to handle hard disks larger than 2 TiB would've been a better solution.

Nice try FBI

Attached: 1535640676145.png (1600x900, 742K)

The pretty basic part is for beta normies.
The advanced ugly part is for true alphas

Jesus christ why do motherboard manufacturers always make their UEFI crap so fucking edgy and why does it always look like it's targeted to "gamers"

Attached: ugly trash.png (602x452, 234K)

UEFI is botnet.

How does one get a BIOS system in this day and age? I've given up

is that what nu-simpsons looks like?

>Look how pretty that stuff is
yea because my basic hardware setup system really needs to look good.
people who like the uefi gui are those who get excited about switching from "balanced" to "energy saving" or "performance" mode so they can tell people they optimized their build without actually knowing what they're doing.

When I first had issues with UEFI I looked up the differences and was shocked. The BIOS boot process was honestly pretty simple and elegant, maybe a bit old-fashioned but still functional. It also allowed isolation between disks and was much less likely to get permanently fucked up.

I really don't understand why UEFI needed to be created at all, if BIOS understood GPT that would gotten rid of all of the old warts really. Why does the bootstrap process need to do much shit anyway

>posting a pic of an asus windows app instead of UEFI

Attached: 5r235.gif (493x342, 480K)

UEFI is cool because it's cross platform, and you can write C right away without having to call it form ASM, but holy shit is it bloated. There are fucking ports of vim to UEFI, and there's a full libc.

>buys "gaming pro" mobo
>is surprised when it seems targeted at gamers
luckily you've only got to look at it once in a blue moon.

Yo do not need an entire operating system to boot another operating system. You do not need a bunch of spinny bing bing wahoo horse shit embedded in the boot firmware. UEFI is bug riddled shit that never works right.

You wanna know what proper boot firmware looks like? Open Firmware. You want a graphical interface? Take a look at SGI ARCS. These are examples of boot firmware that just works. Fuck your numale UEFI trash.

Attached: 1535506990719.jpg (252x370, 13K)

Attached: 1413160336826.jpg (135x135, 8K)

What about gpt?

Uefi is more open. You saying you prefer each OEM propietary ASM implementation?
Except for the silicon init. PEI, DXE and even BDS of uefi all have an open source implementation. Lots of oems use it even IBV like AMI and Inside. OEM direct are huge proponents. Only more so in the future.
Tianocore.org check it out
Go back to your cave and tinfoil hat

I don't care if software is proprietary. I want something that works. UEFI doesn't fucking work, and no companies follow the standards. And one uses Tianocore anyways.

Go be a dumbass somewhere else.

Attached: This+type+of+computer+errors+_59c12cacca7f54d3d237d9ecc69a564e.gif (300x191, 35K)

Lol whatever dude
>No companies follow the standards
Yet I can still boot from uefi using the linux kernel or windows
Better USB drivers
Greater filesystem support
Secure boot
Program in C or Cpp instead of ASM
Option roms standardized, no longer a rootkit shit show
Shell apps
Setup browser with forms that plug in
Organized software architecture
Symbolic debugging
Actual display driver

Go back to your cave.

t. microsoft shill

>seabios

>Tianocore
f-f-f-f-f-agot

Attached: 116659998.png (957x725, 471K)

Not as compatible as MBR, and I never had a need for more than 4 partitions.

>I don't want to waste 512 MiB of disk space just to have a ESP partition
then don't, if you look you'll notice that you have probably used something like 18 MB on your efi partition. I know installers tend to propose big defaults for both the efi and boot partitions but you're fine with 64 MB EFI + 256 MB boot.

You could literally have the boot and EFI partition in one. I could live with less than 32MB.