Windows 10 mobile is still a top-tier mobile OS in 2018

windows 10 mobile is still a top-tier mobile OS in 2018

> dark mode
> minimalist UI
> fast and responsive, even on mid-tier 2016 hardware
> iris unlock
> camera performance that rivals iPhone and Pixel
> live tiles: offer a customizable and informative HUD, not grids of static icons and tons of notifications
> get security patches through 2020, meaning a Lumia 950 XL from 2016 will get updates longer than most high-end Android devices in 2018
> will still get all the feature updates in microsoft's other apps, like outlook, onedrive, onenote, store

> in b4 no apps
> all the normie apps are accounted for:

fb
messenger
ig
whatsapp
twitter
musical.ly
line
netflix
pandora
waze
fitbit
walgreens
plex
kindle
todoist
dropbox
uber
spotify
united airlines
slack
photoshop express
telegram

it has cortana, a decent voice assistant

> also haxor apps

foo irc
enpass
vlc
mega
8zip
rdp
metro commander

why arent you using a Lumia 950 XL or Elite x3?

Attached: edge.png (1080x1920, 327K)

Other urls found in this thread:

scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/united-states-v-microsoft-corp/
theguardian.com/technology/2013/dec/10/microsoft-satya-nadella-surveillance-ceo-governments-nsa
latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-microsoft-nsa-surveillance-lawsuit-20130830-story.html
v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/2350094/microsoft-ceo-nsa-spying-is-creating-friction-with-our-customers
mercurynews.com/2017/04/15/microsoft-says-users-are-protected-from-alleged-nsa-malware/
windowscentral.com/keyboard-windows-10-phone-has-virtual-precision-pointing-stick
old.reddit.com/user/Tobimacoss
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

word

Attached: word.png (1440x2560, 50K)

calendar

Attached: outlook calendar2.png (1440x2560, 108K)

You reek of a shill. What the fuck is your thread about other than shilling Windows?

Lacks of essential apps that I need to live in this shithole, but I miss WP keyboard.

messaging

Attached: messaging.png (1440x2560, 54K)

as opposed to people who shill ios and android

having a strong preference doesn't make you a shill

Attached: microsoft store 3.png (1440x2560, 1.33M)

andromeda when

>> camera performance that rivals iPhone
That's not much of an accomplishment.

Attached: 1522538440433.png (719x990, 850K)

which apps?

I really need a decent voip app like grasshopper

Attached: windows - uninstall an app.png (1440x2560, 1.33M)

Isn't it literally discontinued though? Why would I buy a phone that could only get updates for a couple more months, if that?

android cameras have improved but for long time they lagged behind ios and lumia

Attached: windows - all apps.png (1440x2560, 1.52M)

it will get security updates for at least 2 more years and all updates to microsoft’s uwp apps

that is longer support than most android devices sold today

Attached: wp_ss_20180907_0021.png (1440x2560, 145K)

Some apps made by uni to check the bus schedule and the curriculum, taxi order app, and bank app.

Attached: vlc.png (1080x1920, 46K)

>that is longer support than most android devices sold today
Not really.

yeah its those niche ones that get you

maybe pwa will improve situation

Attached: windows - start menu 2.png (1440x2560, 3.43M)

This is fucking not, Microsoft don't give a damn about it.
t. lumia owner

>shilling a literally dead product

Attached: shishi.png (200x346, 38K)

That's low lighting, and it's on the outer most edges of the lens where most cameras will look bad. iPhone X still resolves quality details in low light better than the newest phone cameras.

Attached: download.png (619x883, 669K)

Oh yeah, I moved to android after my lumia bootlooped itself, how the fuck has no one made a keyboard even close to the WP keyboard? I installed swiftkey but it's not the same

>All I can say is that there is some strange stuff going on. I have a 1520 and a 950XL which are both unlocked for use on the T-Mobile network. My outlook mail and Microsoft edge tiles went dark and were in pending mode for about 10 days. I Experienced a few random reboots and frozen screens at times. When I tried to open documents with any of the Microsoft office apps it was in read only mode and told me that my subscription wasn't current when it is. Now as of 24 hours, my office apps and outlook mail are working properly. The only thing that is dark and says pending is the edge browser. After reading some of your treads, I know that I'm one of the lucky one's.

vast number of androids sold are down market
usually running an old version of android to begin with
if lucky on a newer android version that includes play security layer

Attached: windows - alt-tab.png (1080x1920, 963K)

what's hilarious is multi-lens cameras are the remaining trend for flagships except for iPhone and Google, yet they produce the worst picture quality details even in good lighting.

Attached: x 8 plus.png (612x885, 610K)

>all the normie apps are accounted for:
tell that to my bank
>and favorite GPS/Navi software, and alarm, and I want GPlay, and, and..
The Windows Mobile interface is actually alright, tiles and shit make some sense on mibile. But as theres fuck all to launch anyway, better just getting a 10-style launcher for Android.

Attached: WindowsApp_FUCKNO.jpg (302x129, 5K)

My android one phone gets guaranteed feature for 2 years and security for 3.
Why the fuck should I buy this buggy discontinued shit?

too bad metro is garbitch

Shove your lumia up your ass and kindly jump off a bridge

I got a bunch of updates just last week

Attached: wp_ss_20180907_0009.png (1440x2560, 551K)

ally bank is pretty much it in US

Attached: allybank.png (1440x2560, 101K)

>[email protected]

Yeah the lumiafag really thinks someone will fall for this

>i-its not dead guys!

>“Windows phone apps for Skype for Business, Microsoft Teams, and Yammer are retiring on May 20, 2018.”

so support scheme is basically the same
w10m isn't any more buggy than android
interface is far superior
not a google botnot

Attached: windows - start menu folder.png (1440x2560, 2.72M)

>not unlocking bootloader and running Windows 10 ARM on a Lumia 950XL
>yfw they reintroduced desktop telephony support in the new fast ring
What is wrong with you? Literally the best feature of a Windows phone, since WP10 is gimped shit.

>w10m isn't any more buggy than android

metro was poorly deployed to users in 8.1
but live tiles are more useful than icons in a grid
they are also far more efficient than icon badges, distracting notifications, or having to swipe away to a dash panel

Attached: settings.png (1440x2560, 139K)

>not a google botnot
Its a Microsoft one instead you stupid faggot.

>We have tried VERY HARD to incent app devs. Paid money.. wrote apps 4 them.. but volume of users is too low for most companies to invest.
the absolute state of windows phone

google's primary business model is advertising

microsoft's is services, which they have fought government to supreme court to protect from nsa spying

choice is yours

Attached: movies and tv.png (1440x2560, 3.24M)

you're actually delusional

it's just as absurd as asking companies to develop for Linux desktop

many companies already have a windows store app and offering a version for mobile is relatively easy, which is why windows mobile still gets updated top-tier apps

Attached: recently added.png (1080x1920, 1.01M)

>microsoft's is services, which they have fought government to supreme court to protect from nsa spying
Maybe old Microsoft, but Pajeet Nandela Microsoft's is the opposite of that, just take a look at Azure, Windows 10 and Office 365.

says someone from the board that pushes Gentoo or Arch and 5-year-old thinkpads

Attached: todoist.png (1080x1920, 37K)

I've literally never shilled those meme distros and a Thinkpad can run whatever OS you want and thus has easily a decade more of support.

lol

Attached: outlook mail - create mail.png (1440x2560, 80K)

What about that thing Microsoft was planning to run Android apks? Did it ever got released? Also, post the dialer, I never touched a Windows Phone but I always liked the aesthetic.

Based.

azure, office 365, windows 10...all services

and Nadella is who fought the NSA

scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/united-states-v-microsoft-corp/
theguardian.com/technology/2013/dec/10/microsoft-satya-nadella-surveillance-ceo-governments-nsa
latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-microsoft-nsa-surveillance-lawsuit-20130830-story.html
v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/2350094/microsoft-ceo-nsa-spying-is-creating-friction-with-our-customers
mercurynews.com/2017/04/15/microsoft-says-users-are-protected-from-alleged-nsa-malware/

go back to Jow Forums

Attached: photos.png (1440x2560, 61K)

what is that blue thing in the keyboard?

Fuck off, shill.
Try not to dox yourself next time.

Attached: 1536455117032.png (1440x2544, 80K)

Does it have a removable battery?
If not its automatically shit regardless what meme os is on it

microsoft's experiments running android on windows mobile actually became windows subsystem for linux (WSL)

Attached: phone.png (1440x2560, 58K)

lmao, you are really in denial.

>HDR+ off
No wonder it looks shit.

So you can't run apks?

Yes, Lumia 950 and 950 XL do

Attached: money.png (1440x2560, 1.27M)

it's like a software trackpoint

Attached: unigram.png (1440x2560, 84K)

No

Attached: windows - lock screen.png (1440x2560, 2.1M)

What does the blue dot do?

it is a software-based precision pointing stick aka trackpoint

windowscentral.com/keyboard-windows-10-phone-has-virtual-precision-pointing-stick

Attached: outlook calendar3.png (1440x2560, 69K)

>musical.ly
why the fuck did you even post this as an advantage

I would actually like to try a win10 phone. There's cheap ones in AliExpress. Which one do you recommend? Battery life is relevant, the rest not so much.

How are you today, pajeet?

I listed it under normie apps

For normies

I would never accuse anyone on Jow Forums of being able to dance

Attached: wallet.png (1440x2560, 126K)

You could at one time, it was called project astoria, it couldn't run applications that required Google services though and only supported devices that had enough RAM

lumia 950 and 950 xl is ideal, but gsm-only, can usually be found ~$100

Alcatel Idol 4S is fine, but camera isn't Lumia quality

elite x3 is a true phablet, like a galaxy note, and works on Verizon if you need that

there are some obscure Japanese models, like a VAIO model, that works there and in Europe, no US band support

Attached: onedrive.png (1440x2560, 106K)

project astoria was not really an android emulation layer like in BB10

it was a wrapper that android developers could put around their android app to ship it to w10m

kind of like apple is doing with marzipan to get ios apps to mac os

it was announced at build but never went much further

the research on that became wsl

Attached: netflix.png (1080x1920, 722K)

Europefag, so I'll probably get the Lumia 950. Thanks for the info user :D

you can use wip to unlock parts of Astoria

you can also use wip to unlock your lumia 950 and run windows 10 desktop on it if you want

Attached: phone2.png (1440x2560, 70K)

no officai jewtube client
no free ssh client (that i know of, and i can't figure out how to search for apps only on microsoft.com, what are they thinking)
absolutely proprietary and soon abandoned
shill thread 0/10

>iris unlock
Retards don’t realize this, but iris scan is not retinal scan, retinal scan is what you’d want. Iris scan is like taking a picture of your hand VS scanning your fingerprint lol

> youtube client
there are several good third-party clients. the lack of any official google support is a big problem for windows 10 mobile. it also exposes the outsized market pressure google has to influence the mobile industry. google should not get to chose what mobile platforms exist or not. google needs to be broken up.

>findings apps
click the magnifying glass and search

>proprietary
android and ios are proprietary too, unless you are using ubports or lineageos not a real complaint

> soon abandoned
like that galaxy s9 that will never get android pie, meanwhile a $49 lumia 635 from 2016 will get app and security updates for the next 2-3 years

>shill thread
i am only here to make my case. believe it or not there's not a lot of money in arguing for an obscure mobile os that Jow Forums is going to hate first and foremost because it's microsoft

Attached: settings - privacy - background apps.png (1440x2560, 156K)

>maybe pwa will improve situation
I thought pwas were broken in wp10, I read somwhere that edge needs an update to be fully compatible and MS won't do it tho

this desu

Best OS would be Symbian or Meego

what is suprising is that the mid-tier priced lumia 950 had some kind of facial unlock and amoled in 2016, also headline features in apple's phone two years later for twice as much

Attached: telegram.png (1440x2560, 67K)

Nevermind, there seems to be a SSH client now.
Not having the rest of the Google suite of apps is not really a problem since there are alternatives, YouTube is a big miss though.
I remember the Nokia devices were well built.

On the bottom left of your screenshot, under "Available On", click "Mobile" and that should show you the Windows 10 apps that support mobile devices.

Attached: microsoft store - audible.png (1440x2560, 772K)

I would buy a phone running sailfishOS, it's the fork of meego being actively developed

I would also buy a webos or tizen phone too, if there were such a thing

I am waiting to see what comes of ubports now they have rebased to 16.04 and are working on android app support in anbox

Attached: myradar.png (1440x2560, 1.79M)

yeah on what phone?

it was a nice concept but MS bailed

Okay well I tried amoled 6 years ago it was garbage back then and it is garbage now, either retina or microLED, I am glad I sailed over the amoled
Windows phone sucks and won’t succeed, end of story.

Attached: 20EB0524-957E-4612-B2A0-8A92F01E6BD4.jpg (460x345, 41K)

I already am using Windows 10 mobile op, Lumia 830, I like the os very much it's very disappointing that Microsoft gave up the platform.

pwas are sometimes funky on edge, particularly notifications

pwas packaged into apps by vs 2017 are generally fine, the uber app for windows 10 across all devices including mobile is a pwa

Attached: world clock.png (1440x2560, 198K)

Yeah, if they release WP keyboard, I would auto-install the app out of the box.

nice

yes, it is frustrating, but I am glad they are continuing to push security and app updates

Attached: windows - pull-down menu.png (1440x2560, 1.08M)

they are starting to make android launchers that mimic live tiles

I am surprised no one has come up with a keyboard for android that just happens to closely resemble the windows 10 mobile keyboard

you would think with all the thinkpad fans on here they would appreciate the trackpoint in the Microsoft keyboard

Attached: remote desktop.png (1440x2560, 83K)

>mutter irc
>wire
>onion browsers
>signal
>riot matrix
>encrypted super secure iOS
>biometric security
Eat shit NEETs

Attached: B60CD313-67B3-47BB-B118-F325C011401E.png (640x1136, 1.4M)

I got nothing against Windows 10 on mobile practically, the shitty flat UI makes more sense on a phone than on the desktop, I use less than ten applications and wouldn't mind the lack of an app store presence, and there's a good chance that C# and C++ applications will run less poorly than Java shit on Android. But, this is Microsoft, and fuck Microsoft, you couldn't pay me enough money to go near that shit with a ten-foot pole. If I refuse to use W10 on the desktop, why would I even begin to imagine using it on my phone?

Also, fuck what they did to Nokia, I want an N901 and I want it yesterday.

Attached: 1534086947563.png (635x473, 268K)

a lot of people feel that way about Microsoft, I get it, particularly windows phone fans who are mad Microsoft mishandled their hardware strategy and then abandoned it altogether

not nokia n901 but tcl bought the rights to palm ip and hired the top Samsung designer to launch a new palm device, it just passed fcc approval a couple weeks ago

Attached: settings - network and wireless.png (1440x2560, 70K)

My lumia got stolen with 800 in cash behind the battery inside the back the night donald trump got elected. I also had a seizure.

Just tried it. The mimic is still half-assed and it seems like the developers lack of researching about why the tile is intuitive.

Moreover, it's harder to justify settling in to Microsoft's walled garden over others'. Google's really integrated into Android (unless you don't install gapps), but on the desktop, that synchronization ends where Chrome does, which means you can use it on anything Chrome runs on, but also can pick and choose what you want to use browser-wise if you don't want that. Apple's walled garden is great if you have a Mac or another iDevice, since a lot of apps work wherever and you only have to pay once for the ones that do, and iTunes is good on everything it's made natively for. Microsoft has a degree of OS integration and Edge, except nobody uses Edge unironically, and the integration with Win10 probably ends around where OneCloud does. Oh, and you can sync your anime wallpaper and Wifi passwords, I guess. Oh, and I guess something involving the Xbox application. Does anyone use that at all?

Like, what the fuck is the selling point of going all-in with Microshit? I hate all this shit and run my shit without gapps, but I can at least see some appeal for normalfags in falling for the Jewgle or the Apple meme. But even if Winphone had applications and shit, what's the point? Everyone who claims they absolutely positively MUST use Windows is doing it for the games or for the proprietary software, all of which is win32. Nobody is considering buying an application off the Windows Store and hoping it works on both mobile and desktop. Nobody has a crying need for the anime wallpaper on their desktop to be synced to their phone. What's the appeal? Shit's dumb.

Attached: 1518901441129.jpg (1017x579, 304K)

>funky
that's a funny way to say that they're not supported like they should be, and they won't be because MS doesn't care.

> Microsoft has a degree of OS integration and Edge...and the integration with Win10 probably ends around where OneCloud does

Cortana also links Windows 10 desktop and mobile, allowing you to send/receive text messages from your desktop via your Windows phone. You can disable all of that though.

> except nobody uses Edge unironically,

I tried Edge and stuck with it. It's perfectly fine for me and better on battery life than Chrome. There are some websites that won't work in Edge so I keep Firefox around.

> Oh, and I guess something involving the Xbox application. Does anyone use that at all?

No.

> Everyone who claims they absolutely positively MUST use Windows is doing it for the games

The games are a nice part about running Windows, but I am excited to see what comes of Steam's work with Crossover, Wine, Vulkan, and other open source projects to get Windows games running on Linux.

> proprietary software

Yup. There is some really nice proprietary software for Windows that is simply unmatched on Linux and macOS.

> Nobody is considering buying an application off the Windows Store and hoping it works on both mobile and desktop.

Well you don't have to hope, it tells you, but I was suprised how many apps in the Microsoft Store have desktop, mobile, Xbox, HoloLens, Surface versions.

> What's the appeal?

Live tiles.
Also being in a small club of passionate weirdos.
Mostly live tiles though.

Attached: plex.png (1440x2560, 200K)

>shilling for a dead (killed) os
yeah, it's more like a scam
imagine actually paying money to use this
it's not even OG WP7 what's the fucking point at all it's just MS trash

old.reddit.com/user/Tobimacoss

it's not a scam if you get into it now, knowing the future for windows phone in it's current form is bleak

but you know Microsoft has at least r&d'd a surface phone

it would be easier to re-enter mobile and maintain it with less overhead once windows completes the structural changes they are making-windows coreos, etc.-to make it more modular across platforms

at a certain point you will have windows 10 running on arm tablets and someone is going to want to put a sim card in it and be able to make calls

so maybe not in it's current form but Windows is definitely working in arm, IoT, and cross-platform apps/emulation it could come back if it wanted to

Attached: united airlines.png (1440x2560, 816K)