Major in cs

>major in cs
>can't find any jobs
are you shitting me? what an absolutely saturated field. don't even bother unless you are willing to grind leetcode 5 hours a day, have 3 top 100 apps, and go to a prestigious school

Attached: 1536456414224.jpg (1280x720, 136K)

It is a saturated field. I'm just hoping for the day this industry collapses on its own weight

Literally pasting a post I made in another thread.
Nobody needs your kind anymore because Pajeet will do your job 2x worse but also 8x cheaper, which means Shlomo would much rather hire 2 pajeets and still save more money than he would hiring you.
Programming is the new case of the domestic assembly worker replaced by automation, but the automation in this case is millions of Pajeets.

Might as well practice tying nooses. The game is rigged.

To add on, it's fucking stupid to see people go for a degree that's oversaturated and the act surprised when "NO JOBS WUT".

Attached: 1524324229395.jpg (651x651, 83K)

> major in cs
> don't want to put in work to make a ludicrous amount of money with a meme degree

Programming is one of the most intellectually intensive and educated career options out there, I guess being smart and working hard isn't enough to be successful these days, you just have got to be born rich!

Attached: soul when.png (462x320, 19K)

lmao you also posted this QQ thread in Jow Forums. Are you going to go jerk yourself off in /sci/ too?

I can't disagree with that. But oh well, what can we do if existence itself is already broken?
Only way to not lose at the game is to not play.

Attached: 1439479847313.png (566x433, 507K)

Never visited leetcode in my life and didn't go to a top 3 uni. Asian male. Still got a six figure job lined up before graduating. Apply yourself.

> he doesn't grind 1337code 5h erryday
Anón, maybe you'd be more profficient at some other field

Attached: 1534397846884.jpg (539x405, 35K)

I hear the truckstop gloryhole is hiring

or have a vagina

>3 top 100 apps

What does this mean?

Most people aren't good at it.

With the number of cs, ce, se, and even software centric ee's who turn down my job offers I've been given the opposite impression. Of course, you would want to live 1.5-2 hours drive from the nearest major city with a decent chain restaurant. Amazon still manages to deliver in 2 days or less though.

>already bored of all my sub 500 line projects
>all the vidya coming out is shit, too lazy to practice my other hobbies
>unironically just doing leetcode to pass the time outside of work and the gym
it's actually pretty [spoiler]fun[/spoiler] once you get used to it. hopefully i start getting interviews at big companies and it pays off eventually.

Attached: 1525575872625.jpg (1000x800, 61K)

how long do you work at a problem before checking the solution?

>Programming is one of the most intellectually intensive and educated career options out there
ha sure

usually im being pretty lazy and I just go off of when I really feel stuck, I make sure to always at least get to the point where I've attempted a brute force solution and tried to find the optimal one out on paper though. When I'm timing myself I usually check at ~45 minutes to an hour if I'm not getting anywhere. My current speed for mediums is generally comfortably under 30 and hards vary a lot.

>grind leetcode
if you can't do leetcode you should find a different industry

Going to college is too risky. A degree isn’t enough, a portfolio isn’t enough. You need connections. Me I’m gonna learn plumbing instead.

a trade is unironically the right choice for youngsters imo
this coming from a 29 year old making 95k on a BS degree

Average programmer IQ is 120.

[Citation Needed]

Need that 120 IQ to install muh npm packages

oh you're telling me people who think entirely linearly, and whose entire existence is based on logic, perform inordinately well at the IQ test, one known for strong bias for logic-based reasoning?

i don't disagree that CS folks are smart. i refute the career requiring it. correlation vs causation.

This is definitely not true

Isn't it mostly in the US where software engineer jobs are very competitive and saturated, how bad is it for Europeans? I know we get paid less but how hard to get a job

Attached: _0.jpg (640x533, 53K)

get a real degree, a real engineering degree. or dont waste your time and money with a 4 year ""education""

Are you saying cs is not a real degree? Because it pays a lot more than most engineering degrees, if not all of them

ignore the b8

inb4 referring to real programmers

>liberals literally blame existancs itself before the social system of Capitalism

>Only way to not lose at the game is to not play.
Who says you have a choice?

In my university there is somewhat of a problem with IT/CS students, where they have difficulty ever finishing their masters because the companies are recruiting them so aggressively.
Most of my friends with their bachelors are currently getting close to 3k/month which is pretty decent here.

i met this girl in college

>i met this girl in college
what's she like? is she as pure and adorable as she seems in her videos?

did you fug?

Is she smart and a legitimate SE, or one of those "guys did everything for me in school and I'm a SE now hehe" types?

very normie but kind type of girl from initial impressions. we weren't friends but had mutual friends and a few discussion sessions
no she has a longterm bf
i never heard anything bad about her
she would answer questions in class at least
normiebook pic for proof

Attached: may.png (499x94, 18K)

Protip: Never commit to make a living doing anything that can be done remotely.
You will just be outsourced.

Wouldn't killing yourself be rejecting the system?

It's oversaturated with women and indians. You should have gone EEE or at least embedded systems, that actually takes intelligence and you'd rarely find pajeets and women there.

Are you sure you have the balls to see that through?

you know what's better than rejecting the system?
burning the whole fucking thing down.

Hur Hur why don't you just do a trade like plumbing or welding.
Technology isn't going anywhere. We need competient computer scientist just like we need competient car mechanics.
If you can see the value you really are a brainlet.

Killing myself? Obviously not, as my first two attempts were unsuccessful. People seem to think I need drugs; I do not. I've been in a mental hospital, which honestly just makes it worse.

>tfw no degree
>currently lead developer
You shouldn't have fallen for the degree meme

Then...why play the game to lose? Why not play to win?

>can't find a job
>3.2 gpa
am i fucked?

Because I have a deep rooted inadequacy and insecurity and running linux makes me feel in control. Yet my life, I have no control of.

ECE/EECS is basically CS+Physics+"Engineering"
Where Engineering consists of ethics/communication/management etc.

Basically more employable and versatile CS. CS is great (esp. at top tier schools) but engineering is never a worse option.

find a niche problem
find the soultion
start your own business
create your own job

this isn't me posting..

depends on the ranking of your school, prev experiences, side projects, coding skills, [...]

GPA doesn't tell the whole story. Aside from fintech companies that usually require 3.5+, GPA is rarely a deciding factor.

Been at this shit for ten years and want to get the hell out. No real end game to code monkeying other than "management" and that's another saturated area. Would rather become a monk than listen to dipwads contradict themselves five times a day.

Attached: 1384648822209.jpg (572x507, 172K)

You can stay mired in that worldview or you can get out. It's your choice.
Hang in there.

>fail at failing
>twice

kek

still one of the most lucrative jobs.

What's fintech?

True, I laugh at that every day. Oh, did I say laugh? I meant cry.

financial tech, I'm guessing. Not sure though.

True, what's your point?

Attached: 1431202535192.png (541x582, 233K)

I don't have the stats on hand but a couple years ago I compared the projected annual job openings and number of degrees per year of many different fields and CS was one of the very few to have less graduates than job openings. If you can't find a job with a CS degree you either need to move to a major city or better yet find an overlooked specialization.

It's kinda is if you're socially awkward. I went to my 2nd career fair the other day and it wasn't that much better than the 1st. Still no internship or even an interview despite expanding my skill from just C++ to C#, Java, and Python.

financial technology, although it's turned a buzzword nowadays. "hedge funds" is closer to what I meant: Two Sigma, Jane Street, etc.

Im in cs right now. Id be ok with 50k a yer plus bennies. Am i screwed? Should i go into networking?

>find a niche problem
tell me how senpai

Have 3 top 100 apps

Look around at your daily life. They are all over the place.

life sucks but ur a privileged white male with 6 figure salary so stop complaining

Attached: americanpsycho.jpg (1252x704, 139K)

being socially awkward shouldn't be a factor in job hunting aside from networking. if it's that bad you stand 0 chance of getting a job in any field regardless of your gpa until you fix it. your real problem is probably that your resume sucks and you just haven't practiced much, I wasn't having good conversations until my 4th-5th career fair and most people aren't good at it from the start.

have github. make genuine/unique projects. put them on your resume. use latex to make it nice and don't use cringey templates.

That would be cool if I got to enjoy it. Being an actual software dev is miserable shit if you aren't working for a star company.

Attached: 1265074653000.png (262x300, 148K)

I'm in central Europe. There are lots of jobs in small to mid size industrial companies. Embedded and automation kind of work, not webshit.

While these companies might have some old fashioned structures, the work can be satisfying.

No shit, big N or bust.

Attached: main_900.jpg (900x589, 244K)

I got a fuckin literature degree and I'm trying to learn programming on my own
how impossible would it be to get a job in the field
honestly I'm fine with it just as a hobby but I figure if I can take it far enough it could be a good employment opportunity

Self taught programmer here. I know python, C/C++. I have a few projects but nothing major. What do I need to do to get a job in programming? Not webdev

this

going back to uni is the only realistic option

I know a bit of programming but don't have a university degree. All the colleges around me are shit rural schools. Are there any good online schools that won't be immediately laughed at?

ALL online degrees are worthless if you're going for "prestige".

EXACTLY what this guy said. I was talking with a shill from microsoft earlier this week and he basically said that they look for self drive and actual technical skills.

I don't give a crap about prestige, I just want that piece of paper saying I can actually do what I claim to do.

I'm working now only 6 months since I graduated.

This. If you can't find work you're not the l33t computer wizard you thought you were.

Building an impressive github profile >>>>>>>>> piece of paper.
Many mid-career programmers who didn't go to a top 20 university don't even list education on their resume.

I don't have experience in the field but from what I've read that sounds like a terrible idea.
considering many people in the field dont even have college degrees including someone I know personally

Should fill my resume with relevant projects instead of wasting page naming that one shitty retail job I have?

Are you going to learn linear algebra or any other higher tier maths?
If you go self taught you will be stuck webdev tier.

On your own**

you have to tailor each resume for the specific employer
if you're applying to McDonalds, tell them about the retail job
if you're trying to get an IT job, tell them about your experience in IT

For every one of those "edge cases" there are 100s of others that failed. If you actually want to break into the upper echelon of society and not settle for a shitty code-primate job at a mediocre company, formal higher education is the only proven and reliable option, no matter how much Jow Forumscscareerquestions tell you otherwise.

Attached: 20_colleges_with_the_most_alumni_at_Google.png (895x922, 184K)

Something like this should work:
Education
Skills
Projects
Relevant Coursework (if there's too much space left)

Assuming youre still Junior-ish in college, no prior dev experience isn't detrimental.

Just finished my BSc and already pulling in €3500 a month. I and everyone around me was getting harassed by recruiters throughout uni. Life's good.

not really looking to break into the "upper echelon of society" desu
I just want something that can pay a decent wage as in 50k+

I am always at a loss what to work on. I tried learning laravel and basic webdev stuff but it just seems so shit tier. What are good projects to work on that really get into serious programming, not just pajeet level?

Start learning CURRENT_TRENDY_SCRIPTING_LANGUAGE

Also, more competition because the bar is so low anyone and learn scripting languages and be a code monkey.
If you want to be a computer scientist, go to school.

>but it just seems so shit tier
At least you're not delusional. I recommend going through the classics like K&R (The C Programming Language). And you could publish your solutions to the exercises (don't cheat, obviously). Then you can move on to more involved projects in any higher level languages

As arbitrary as it may seem, rote exercises at least demonstrate critical thinking and seem more genuine than a shitty webdev project.

Explain

Don't do it, it's a trap. Trades are for brainlets. If you're a brainlet that do a trade.