When will we be fully rid of these things? SSDs are still roughly 4 times the cost per GB

When will we be fully rid of these things? SSDs are still roughly 4 times the cost per GB

Attached: 1200px-Laptop-hard-drive-exposed[1].jpg (1200x918, 103K)

never

Attached: 200_s.gif (357x200, 32K)

Unironically this. We will all be dead before good ssds cost less.

Just bought a 240gb SSD for 35 bucks.

They aren't that bad anymore.

not bad but I would love to be able to toss my 2TB HDDs for the silent speed dream machines for less than an organ or two.

Attached: bateman pepe.png (559x558, 193K)

Never ever

Stop using windows.
Their I/O scheduler is shit.

If you want a faster disk without having to do anything just install linux.

>when will SSDs cost less
>install linux

fucking freetard

tfw all I have is 40 80gb drives and one 250gb drive. I wish I could mash em all up into one drive, or just have 41 sata cords

Storinator S45, do it user!

Hard drives are comfy when you have kernel RAM cache and decent writeback.

Attached: 47b1fcb3c3376eac366b2872eb7e924983c4125a.png (578x790, 263K)

Honestly they are good enough for media storage

my main linux install takes less time to boot than my windows 10 + solidworks disk that runs less on boot than stock (i've 'disabled' a bunch of shit)
linux is installed on a 7 year old 500GB hdd, and windows on a 9 year old 64GB ssd

(and yes, i realize the ssd is nothing compared to new ones, but it's still considerably faster in every way to the hdd)

All my user machines are SSD only, i only have mechanicals in my home server which i keep in a closet.

It's pretty sweet, with modern GPUs having a passive cooling mode, and sweet sweet silence noctua fans, i'd forget that my computer is powered on if the screen wasn't on.

No, they aren't.

Windows 10 on a HDD is fucking torture.

>Windows 10 on a HDD is fucking torture.
it was originally setup the other way around (linux is my main os, after all)
but yea, it was just awful on a hdd

my hdd is just as silent as my ssd because its on rubber strings.

get on my level niggers.

>SSDs are still roughly 4 times the cost per GB
you answered your own question. Hard drives will die when SSD space is no more expensive than HDD space.

Anyone else finding that there hard drive storage needs aren't growing as fast as it used to?

I think it a combination of netflix, less time caring about movies, and most importantly that 1080p rips are good enough. I don't need a 4K rip.

>4 times the cost
it's more like 8 when you compare 8 TB drives to 512 GB SSDs

not sure why you don't think you "need" 4K rips but I can tell you that if you decide you do you'll use up space very quickly. They be like 60-100 GB per movie, that's like a ton of 1080p movies or a boatload of flac files

Feels like they've been coasting on old technology for too long. Even 10-14 TB drives nowadays are done by cramming 6-8 platters into 3.5 inch and using helium.

This, hdd's are better forlong term storage.

> When will we be fully rid of these things?
You can easily operate with only SSD already. Do it if you want.

Personally I hope HDD will not disappear from the market any time soon, because it would likely just make storage drop in price slower if they did disappear.

Yes, my storage needs aren't growing as fast either. I might even reduce the overall drive count eventually.

give up on ssds. just get a small one for booting and use hdds for storage

>netflix
no im not a fag