Elon Musk derped at the Joe Rogan Experience...

Elon Musk derped at the Joe Rogan Experience. He said that current energy sources needs to be replaces with photovoltaics and batteries. He's an engineer, he knows how fuckin inefficient these are. You'd need to cover half a country with panels. And there isn't enough lithium to supply the whole world with batteries. Am I insane for believing that nuclear energy is the only solution? Everyone is talking about solar energy where it's a fuckin joke at its current state.

Attached: http _o.aolcdn.com_hss_storage_midas_8aec982ee713d58bbba3c4230fe0543b_206211815_RTX4RL42.jpg (630x315, 28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ycPr5-27vSI?t=4725
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineer
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elon_Musk
eandt.theiet.org/content/articles/2018/03/bad-news-for-batteries-cobalt-and-lithium-supplies-critical-by-2050/
cleanenergywire.org/news/renewables-cover-about-100-german-power-use-first-time-ever
t-online.de/nachrichten/deutschland/gesellschaft/id_83703850/ganz-besonderer-1-mai-als-deutschland-100-prozent-oekostrom-hatte.html
theguardian.com/environment/2015/jul/10/denmark-wind-windfarm-power-exceed-electricity-demand
futurism.com/denmark-just-ran-their-entire-country-on-100-wind-energy/
economist.com/the-economist-explains/2015/06/03/how-renewable-energy-can-become-competitive
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nuclear_power_accidents_by_country
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onkalo_spent_nuclear_fuel_repository
nature.com/news/why-finland-now-leads-the-world-in-nuclear-waste-storage-1.18903
economist.com/international/2017/04/12/how-to-dispose-of-nuclear-waste
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>i know more than a genius billionaire

I agree that nuclear is the future, but good luck making people see it that way

Here's the video:
youtu.be/ycPr5-27vSI?t=4725

anyone with a brain knows that.

However, musk stands to profit, and not from.nuclear
Also, look at france. Willing adoption of nuclear power, sells excess energy to neighbours. No history of explosions.

We're simply gonna have to make homemade nuclear reactors

this

a nuclear reactor for every home and for every car

Anyone else think he's all talk?
I don't trust him

>current state
you mean current *consumer* state? as with most technology, what's currently available is not equivalent to what is being developed. the only idiotic solution is relying on a single source. why not expand all technologies if the market allows it?

>this
>a nuclear reactor for every home and for every car
I really wouldn't entrust individuals with nuclear power

Do you have a car in space? Have you landed a fucking rocket? No? Shut the fuck up then

lol yeah. Even when Rogan asked if those sollar panel shingles for the roof would power the whole house he hesitated.

He should be pushing us to mine the moon for HE-3 for fusion

Perhaps it would be possible, although expensive, to have enough batteries to cover the daily changes in solar output. But there's no way countries that have seasons can switch to solar as their primary source of electricity. Even as it is, without the cost of batteries, solar is some 2-3 times as expensive as coal (and it gets worse further north you go). Maybe solar will get cheaper as the technology develops, but right now it just doesn't seem worth it

Nuclear would be perfect to carry us until fusion becomes viable, but normies are retards who are afraid of muh radiation and what about muh Chernobyl and Godzilla and sheeeet

his business model is talk.
he pillages government subsidies and "green" charity to do a bunch of fun stuff.
It just happens that some of those things actually pay off - spaceX rockets are cheaper for launching satelleites than the old tech.
Tesla has a moment, and did help a few related technologies
The hyperloop thing is a big joke, but the boring machines would help cities build subway networks at a marginally better price.

He's not saying its more efficient, just that it's sustainable and therefore will inevitably replace unsustainable energy sources
>Am I insane for believing that nuclear energy is the only solution?
yes. Nuclear waste makes it not a real long-term solution

We really should cover the deserts in solar panels, but we should probably figure out a carbon neutral and pollution free method of manufacturing them first.

>Nuclear waste makes it not a real long-term solution

Attached: 95 - guJ03ZP.png (827x681, 395K)

Fucker, ask any engineer about photovoltaics and if its possible to supply energy for a whole country solely on it. My small country produces 49,100,434 MWh, go do the numbers how many panels and batteries you'd need for that.

Attached: Tesla South Africa.jpg (1108x1205, 759K)

smug anime is not an argument

PV is a joke right now, even residential scale your ROI is longer than the panels lifetime.

>Do you have a car in space? Have you landed a fucking rocket? No? Shut the fuck up then
I find it really strange how people worship him. He comes off as very pretentious. Dramatic too. And consider all the tax he's been wasting and all the scam like dealings I can only assume he has bots like you blindly massaging his balls
>lol yeah. Even when Rogan asked if those sollar panel shingles for the roof would power the whole house he hesitated.
Yeah. Its just a nice in words but shit on paper think. I think he exaggerated a lot.
>He should be pushing us to mine the moon for HE-3 for fusion
Too easy ;P
I'm sure there is a conspiracy with oil and coal companies
I think people give him too much credit for recycling others ideas
Honestly why don't we just eject nuclear waste into space. Maybe too risky since everything explodes

Nuclaer waste is close to nothing compared to the coal waste. You cover the whole shit in water underground and it's all good. Don't buy into the fearmongering of nuclear waste, it's not that bad.

can someone reply to this post with the bike helmet wojak

>li-ion are the only kinds of batteries
>you think you know how much land area needs to be covered with panels

g8 b8 m8 i r8 8/8

>musk
>engineer
Typical PR bullshit, the guy has degree in finance, not engineering

Radioactive material already exists in the earth naturally.
Furthermore, oil and other fossil fuels have done far worse to ecosystems and livelyhoods.

One oil tanker crashing or oil line bursting is worse ecologically and financially than you're average meltdown.

Oil in particular has a bad batting average for both byproducts and accidents.
Worse when you consider how much we get back for our risks.
Makes you wonder who would have the motive and funds to smear nuclear energies name.

Lastly, I'd like to say that nuclear energy would remove our dependency on foreign oil, reducing our need to fight for "freedom" in oil rich countries, further inflating our monstrous military industrial complex.

Lower taxes, lower carbon emissions, more energy, and the money goes right back to us.
Speaking from an American perspective, of course.

Pays for itself in about half of its lifetime mang

I don't really know the guy. In the show he said he's not a businessman but an engineer so I took his word for that.

Well said.

>you need a degree to be proficient, the work you do doesn't count

Attached: 1427542983018.jpg (324x291, 18K)

>You'd need to cover half a country with panels
nah

>And there isn't enough lithium
you can make batteries without lithium

>implying Musk has ever worked as an engineer

NPCs are afraid of nuclear energy
You can't get through to them, I've tried

I'm sure its shit and I believe you, this photovoltaic shit. Unfortunately Musk is right in that we DO need to transition towards it, to lean off of the stuff like nuclear, and use the extra time it buys us to work on other renewable energy technology.
I mean, I'm no engineer but that is the impression I got watching Musks interview. He's a scatterbrained guy who's super stressed out, I think you're not doing anything productive by breaking down what he said into such literal and extreme interpretations.
Waste material is an argument. If energy conversions produce any waste energy that cannot be reused and does not produce any effect that can be considered useful, it is wasteful, and ineffective, and we can do better by improving or making newer more efficient energy conversion technology. Dont be a nigger, faggot

>You'd need to cover half a country with panels.
No, you don't. Yes, it needs way more space than conventional power plants, but its far, far away from "half the country".
I.e. take Germany:
If the conditions are right, they can already produce more than 100% of their power with renewables (which is a whole 'nother bag of problems, since no storage), so read up some articles that are neither republican biased nor from the 90s.
>And there isn't enough lithium to supply the whole world with batteries.
Source please? also, nowadays, Li is old news, everyone is worried about Co.
And in both cases, battery manufacturers are hard at work to reduce the amounts needed, so don't worry.
>Am I insane for believing that nuclear energy is the only solution?
If you are talking about nuclear energy in its current state: Yes. And not only insane, but also retarded.
Now you do have a point if you talk about possible/hypothetical future reactor designs (molten thorium, fusion…), but why bother with those when we can simply use solar and wind (+ some biofuels for the few uses where it's not feasible (i.e. long distance transportation where trains are not feasible))?
>Everyone is talking about solar energy where it's a fuckin joke at its current state.
Educate yourself.
It's now more economical (that means: costing less moneys/making more moneys) than conventional sources, and nuclear has never ever been even close to economically feasible.

>He's an engineer
He isn't.

Yeah. I like nuclear it gets a bad rap because its non renewable, and hippie faggots think we dont need non renewable or that it's just "so easy" to switch off it.

>nah
solid argument

>you can make batteries without lithium
you can make electricity with potatoes

Attached: DVj0bCqU0AAx6fh.jpg (645x729, 49K)

>He's an engineer
Isn't he just a rich business guy with fun ideas?
He basically throws out ideas, and pays engineers to make them happen.

>he isnt
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineer
>The work of engineers forms the link between scientific discoveries and their subsequent applications to human and business needs and quality of life.
>Competencies: Mathematics, science, design, analysis, critical thinking, engineering ethics, project management, engineering economics, creativity, problem solving
>mathematics
>engineering economics
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elon_Musk
>Born in Pretoria, South Africa, Musk taught himself computer programming at the age of 10. He moved to Canada when he was 17 to attend Queen's University. He transferred to the University of Pennsylvania two years later, where he received an economics degree from the Wharton School and a degree in physics from the College of Arts and Sciences.
>physics and economics degrees
>track record of effective business use of applied sciences and successful design work.
Nigger stop sniffing glue, he's more engineer than you'll ever be

Stop pretending Elon Musk isnt an engineer so you can feel better.

>If the conditions are right, they can already produce more than 100% of their power with renewables
Sources, I call bullshit on that

>Source please?
eandt.theiet.org/content/articles/2018/03/bad-news-for-batteries-cobalt-and-lithium-supplies-critical-by-2050/

Literally the first article in Google.

>Educate yourself.
I am. That's why I'm talking about this. And you know nothing about nuclear reactors so I don't know why you even post.

>I need to make an argument against something that is blatantly false

Attached: 2018-09-09-011614_1072x658_scrot.png (1072x658, 553K)

>You'd need to cover half a country with panels.
Umm... I think it's more like

>inefficient
>have to cover half the country

no chance you'd do us all a favor and take yourself to the trash, eh?

>Maybe too risky since everything explodes
bingo
>even one out of a million nuclear waste rockets malfunctions on launch and blows up
>entire area is uninhabitable

Attached: AreaRequired1000.jpg (1000x706, 386K)

damn youre retarded

Attached: 2018-09-09-012405_895x606_scrot.png (895x606, 674K)

since you don't even have common sense, no one should take anything you say seriously

Attached: world_splar_energy_9buz.jpg (700x474, 85K)

>Sources, I call bullshit on that

>cleanenergywire.org/news/renewables-cover-about-100-german-power-use-first-time-ever
Yeah, its an evil, lefty green site, but it was also reported by some German Fox-Tier crapsite:
>t-online.de/nachrichten/deutschland/gesellschaft/id_83703850/ganz-besonderer-1-mai-als-deutschland-100-prozent-oekostrom-hatte.html
also, Denmark (yeah, wind, I know, but wind is just 2nd hand solar):
>theguardian.com/environment/2015/jul/10/denmark-wind-windfarm-power-exceed-electricity-demand
>futurism.com/denmark-just-ran-their-entire-country-on-100-wind-energy/

>Literally the first article in Google.
Yet, you could not find the first article on google about germany…
also:
>eandt.theiet.org/content/articles/2018/03/bad-news-for-batteries-cobalt-and-lithium-supplies-critical-by-2050/
>The research team suggests that cobalt-free battery technologies - including post-lithium technologies based on non-critical elements such as sodium, magnesium, zinc, calcium and aluminium - represent the best way to avoid supply issues in the long term.

Literally the first sentence in the article.

>And you know nothing about nuclear reactors so I don't know why you even post.
What makes you think that?
Sure, I'm no nuclear engineer, so I'm no expert on the stuff, but I bet I have more knowledge and first hand experience in the nuclear industry than you have.

>If you are talking about nuclear energy in its current state: Yes. And not only insane, but also retarded.
U wot mate? Nuclear is already feasible and widely used, and future reactors will be even better
>It's now more economical (that means: costing less moneys/making more moneys) than conventional sources, and nuclear has never ever been even close to economically feasible
Dude what? Spermany has to pay massive subsidies to renewables in order to get companies to invest in them, and so far the end result has been a massive shitshow. Really expensive electricity, increased coal use (coal power is used to even out the varying solar production), increased electricity imports (often from neighbors who use nuclear). In short, Spermany invested heavily into renewables, it was a massive shitshow

>I can do greentext and paint.exe

Attached: 1536481508546.png (1072x658, 586K)

That map is fucking retarded and if you believe that it's realistic I'd recommend that you kay why ess because you can't do even the most simple of calculations. Even disregarding the problem of storing energy you would need a much larger area just to produce the total amount of energy needed (on a yearly basis).

You are worse than reddit.

wow, you are cancer

>Nuclear is already feasible and widely used,
Yes, it is used, and I'd agree that it is feasible for military uses (aircraft carriers and subs), but for anything else, it's stupid because there's two key issues that are not solved yet:
>How to run it without insane subsidies
>What to do with the waste
There's some ideas that could solve those issues, but current designs are just not doing it.

He's just some dumb rambling stoner

lithium will be mined from celestial objects

elon about to announce the first private sector mining contract with the newly minted space force coalition (he's been talking with Trump, don't trust the media charade)

elon understands thing you don't, elon has all the information, elon has a big plan for the future, elon knows

kek

>Dude what? Spermany has to pay massive subsidies to renewables in order to get companies to invest in them, and so far the end result has been a massive shitshow. Really expensive electricity, increased coal use (coal power is used to even out the varying solar production), increased electricity imports (often from neighbors who use nuclear). In short, Spermany invested heavily into renewables, it was a massive shitshow
And yup, Germany kinda fucked up, but nowadays it's even economical without subsidies.
Also, the subs are still lower than for fossils and don't come even close to the subsidies nuclear receives.
>economist.com/the-economist-explains/2015/06/03/how-renewable-energy-can-become-competitive

Ye, slap some squares on a map and you have a prove. Are you new to the internetz or you think im new?

>Ye, slap some squares on a map and you have a prove.
as opposed to starting a thread on an anonymouse ukrainian origami image board?

There's a bunch of scientific literature on the issue. Too lazy to search it for you, but yeah, the folks posting that maps should provide the sources for it!

Attached: da432f.jpg (600x600, 54K)

Attached: Meanwhile-at-OPs-house2.jpg (367x550, 95K)

molten salt reactors are the future

Also, one thing you guys have to understand is that the real cost of solar isn't just the cost of solar, it's solar + traditional power plants to cover the intermittant energy production of solar. That's also why Germany's electricity production has been such a shitshow, and why a simple per watt cost can be misleading. Germany invested heavily into reneweables, and they pay 2-3 times as much for electricity

>How to run it without insane subsidies
Ask France. But yeah, nuclear is more expensive than goal or gas, but less expensive than renewables
>What to do with the waste
Bury into bedrock. ezpz

>And yup, Germany kinda fucked up, but nowadays it's even economical without subsidies.
>Also, the subs are still lower than for fossils and don't come even close to the subsidies nuclear receives.
Your link doesn't prove either of your claims, it just states that they want to invest 15 billion to eventually make it competetive

Attached: fr_el.jpg (602x214, 31K)

Elon was aEconomics / Applied Physics dual major. He did an Applied Physics masters at Stanford but dropped to focus on business.

>history of explosions.
Yet
There were already many many incidents

These are all bullshit for various reasons.
With 2013 numbers for worldwide energy consumption, 20% efficiency (generous) and 2400 kwh/square meter annual solar irradiance (Sahara) you land at ~330000 square kilometers (of Sahara).
And that's just raw output from the panels when they feel like producing power. Want power at another time? Good fucking luck. Who fucking knows how many times that area you need to actually cover the global energy needs.

>Also, one thing you guys have to understand is that the real cost of solar isn't just the cost of solar, it's solar + traditional power plants to cover the intermittant energy production of solar.
Yeah, as said, its fucked up.
But if you'd actually built the whole system set up in such a way that you take into account the weaknesses you could do it much better and much cheaper. Coal and nuclear plants are really the worst things to couple with wind and solar (and this is ignoring the issue that both are retarded to start with). Also: storage.

>>How to run it without insane subsidies
>Ask France
How would nuclear subsidies central know about how not to operate them like they do? The french nuclear industry has nothing to do with the free market.
>Bury into bedrock. ezpz
Sorry, but it's anything but ezpz. We are still at the early stages of research when it comes to this issue.

Also how do you get the power to any where?

Nuclear with solar is the way to go. Residential rooves all have solar, batteries and substations with smaller nuclear plants to support load and any disruptions. Don't build your nuclear power plants on fault lines. As soon as we have cheap power you can pretty much start desert greening.

lithium is on the way out, old man
get with the times.
you think someone like tesla intends to fuck with lithium forever, they are most certainly developing better battery technology.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nuclear_power_accidents_by_country
>Casualties: 0

>And there isn't enough lithium to supply the whole world with batteries.
Gravitational batteries
Flywheel energy storage

>Yeah, as said, its fucked up.
>But if you'd actually built the whole system set up in such a way that you take into account the weaknesses you could do it much better and much cheaper. Coal and nuclear plants are really the worst things to couple with wind and solar (and this is ignoring the issue that both are retarded to start with). Also: storage
What the fuck? Solar gets worse the more you have it. Right now we can't even store a day's worth of electricity to cover intermittent production, let alone enough to cover seasonal changes

>How would nuclear subsidies central know about how not to operate them like they do? The french nuclear industry has nothing to do with the free market.
Even with subsidies, it's cheaper than renewables
>Sorry, but it's anything but ezpz. We are still at the early stages of research when it comes to this issue.
Wut? It's already being buried into bedrock. We've already solved the storage issue. You have no idea how any of this works, do you?
>The long service life and high productivity of nuclear power plants allow sufficient funds for ultimate plant decommissioning and waste storage and management to be accumulated, with little impact on the price per unit of electricity generated.

Tell me more about your conversion losses, friend..

>Implying lithium-based batteries are the only type of energy storage
>Implying nuclear waste can just be thrown underground
>Implying Elon Musk is an engineer
Wew lad

Elon should take a break from playing factorio

Commercial western nuclear industry have lost all economic credibility. Once a government commits funding there's pretty much no limit how much they can rip taxpayers off.

Use chernobyl as a nuclear waste dumping ground. Problem solved.

>Wut? It's already being buried into bedrock.
On a smale scale, and most people that know about the matter agree that this
>We've already solved the storage issue.
Is not the case.
> You have no idea how any of this works, do you?
On the contrary. I'm a scientist that works in this fucking field. I have actually been to a few storage pilot plants, and yeah, no, we are far from having it figured out.
What's your expertise on the subject?

>Making yourself dependent on Belarus, a satellite of the Ruskies
I know this isn't a serious post, but even if it were, it'd still be stupid.

Chernobyl is in Ukraine though.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onkalo_spent_nuclear_fuel_repository
nature.com/news/why-finland-now-leads-the-world-in-nuclear-waste-storage-1.18903

he's a hype man who will say anything to keep Tesla afloat

What if we could transfer it... WIRELESSLY. Elon my boy, get on this shit right now.

>he pillages government subsidies and "green" charity to do a bunch of fun stuff
I never really understood this meme. Only Tesla cars are subsidised and, at least here, the subsidies for the consumer on the price for the car. Besides that, are you implying that petrol wasn't sponsored by the government for 50 years?

Yup.
One single plant, with almost perfect geology (cracks, faults and fissures, though…).
And I think they still haven't figured out how to make that safe for millenia and how to put up a warning sign that'll last for millenia, to start with an easy issue.
And WIPP is also (theoretically) pretty close, but if you look at what NAGRA is doing, or even at the Asse issue, you'll quickly realize that there are still many issues to be solved.

Fuck, that russian car looks roomy as fuck.

People fell for the Solar panel/wind meme.
I agree with OP, nuclear energy is the solution.

Attached: tenor (2).gif (330x204, 3.46M)

he reminds me of sean murray from no man's sky

Oh, looks like I'm mistaken. However, this would make a pretty good plot; U.S. actively meddling in the Ukraine conflict to dump its nuclear waste there.

How come we don't use more of the gravity type storage (hydro-power excluded since we use that a lot)? There has to be a catch it didn't took decades ago and I hate doing the math.

What the fuck? Are you the faggot who claims to be "a scientist who works in this field"? And you don't even know the basics of your own fucking field? Are you serious? We have a solution, it's just that many normies are retards who are afraid of what they don't understand (hurr durr radiation is scary)
>Finland shows the way with a project expected to span 100,000 years
economist.com/international/2017/04/12/how-to-dispose-of-nuclear-waste

nuclear/fusion/geothermal/maybe bio? are the near future of energy. that snakeoil businessman is just self advertising and improving his image to the public so he can earn more shekels because some retards would do anything for muh nature