Radio Thread

What radio do you own? I've got a Tecsun PL-380 portable, listen to some Commie stations and Infowars via WWCR with it.

Attached: pl 380.jpg (310x310, 18K)

Other urls found in this thread:

reversebeacon.net/index.php
pskreporter.info/cgi-bin/pskstats.pl
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What fax machine do you own? I've got a Panasonic kx-f1050 doing phone and copier all in fucking one

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1600x1200, 185K)

Radio is useful, a fax machine is not since email is a thing.

I only have a Pluto SDR, making software for it is a bitch though. libiio is fucking confusing.

why dont they make these with stereo speakers

Radio and fax are both outdated unless you still has limited 4g in that case you are the outdated part

Attached: TuneIn-Radio.png (300x300, 15K)

Because the cheap ones can't afford it and the expensive ones assume you will have money for high quality external speakers.

>tfw the gubment is trying to push DAB+ as a replacement for FM
What part of "just werks" don't they understand? FM is fine.

It uses less spectrum than fm. Big brother wants the spectrum to it sellf or to lease to Verizon.

FM is already shutting down in some countries. It won't be long until it's replaced by DAB.

I got myself this one. Cheapest DAB+ radio I stumbled upon at the time. It's pretty shit, as in buggy, but it does the job.
Not blown away by the DAB though. It made me prefer FM.

Attached: 1508969243244.jpg (1500x1500, 351K)

What does it do that a cheap 5 dollar radio can't?

I have a tecsun similar to that ,the only reason I bought it was to listen to weird shortwave stations since not many radios have shortwave anymore

>It uses less spectrum than fm
No, it doesn't. It just allows for more reliable channel reuse. I don't really see the point of it in the US, but supposedly it can make a big difference in smaller European countries.

>Big brother wants the spectrum to it sellf or to lease to Verizon.
While cell phones operating at that low of frequency would offer some really impressive long range performance vs current options, I don't think many people would be attracted to phones with size of antenna you'd need to actually get that level of performance since you wouldn't be able to fit it inside the phone. Also, IIRC the FCC opposed DAB.

What I hate most about DAB that it's too digital. Not as in sound, but as in reception.
If you got bad analog reception, you can hear the noise increase or decrease while you move the antenna.
With DAB it either plays perfectly, or you have nothing.
You may not be able to find your favorite station just because your antenna needs to be moved two inch to the left, but you'll never figure it out. That really sucks.

tecsun pl 310et, in poland even with 10+ meter antenna I seems to only get chinks and arabs
still better music than on polish fm radios
in other news my clip + croaked and before chinese battery replacement comes in I caved in and got clips sport even tho no rockbox
I just need a player that can last me a night shift and I work at a place that's basically a Faraday cage so no short wave for me

Uniden BC248CLT.

The audio quality is worse with most DAB stations transmitting at 128kbps which is dogshit

How about just downloading a bunch of podcasts, or earlier radio recordings? Without reception radio or internet, that's what I would do.

that's what I bought another sansa for
although I'm kinda running out of podcasts to listen to

When I want to listen to something on the radio I just use an old watchman hooked up to my stereo.

Attached: watchman1.jpg (2016x1512, 720K)

Can someone redpill me on DAB, is it just a "new FM"? or internet radio? Is it possible to listen to radio stations all over the world with it?

I own a few:

Grundig Satellit 750
Tecsun PL-660
County Comm GP-5 and the GP-5 SSB

You've just turned me incredibly pro DAB.

How am I supposed to listen to the radio broadcast of a baseball game when the TV broadcasters are trash?

Attached: 1488359101927.gif (209x192, 109K)

Where FM is analog, DAB+ is digital. That's it. It's just local radio like FM is.

What do you have the Genesis plugged into?

Luckily it seems that DAB is not even a thing in the US. They aren't even seriously considering it at any actionable level nor does it look like anyone plans too. Looks like HD radio is still king here.

Attached: Digital_Audio_Broadcasting_svg.png (941x416, 98K)

Swede radio makes me wanna kill myself, I want a radio I can listen to internet radio stations/youtube livestreams etc with. What can I buy?

Attached: 832489432.png (300x300, 94K)

The only thing you supposed is to be dead, you disgusting attention whoring anime pedo faggot.

>The only thing you supposed is to be dead

Attached: 1526590179730.png (400x321, 16K)

I have a PL-660. I haven't been listening to shortwave much since the turn of the year due to some local interference (which seems to have gone away over the past week or so). I listen to both Edinburgh and Glasgow airport approach quite a lot, and check for ham radio people chatting whenever I'm in the mood.

LOL!

Does DAB sound worse than a 12.5khz narrow band mono FM signal?

Curious here.

>Can someone redpill me on DAB, is it just a "new FM"?
Somewhat. It's a digital radio standard that allows a single transmitter to broadcast multiple programs that the user can then switch between on a menu on their radio. That radio automatically scans all the stations available and lists all the programs being broadcast at the time so there is no tuning to specific frequencies by the user directly, kind of like the channel selection menu on cable/satellite TV. It's also on a completely different set of frequencies from normal FM broadcasts.

bump
how do I diy an external antenna for a tecsun?
the antenna accepts mono audio jack, right

Is DAB shit or is it just me?
>Have DAB radio that pops all the time
>get 10 year old FM radio that cost ten bucks
>sounds perfect (as in no distortion or loss of signal).

I have an Eton field but shortwave is dull and dead so it's mostly just an expensive NPR box.

Not my pic as it's in the shed but I have this and she's a good girl. That's all I have to say.

Attached: Yaesu-FT-757GX.jpg (864x401, 134K)

Also bought a DMR handheld.

i want that lil watchman so bad

Icom IC-718 and a Tecsun PL-600. I have a 12 foot telescopic antenna and a homemade 14MHz dipole. I also have a cheap SDR with an HF upconverter.

>Infowars via WWCR with it.
When?

what a qt

Is anyone here into amateur radio? I really want to get into HF, but I can't justify it since the privacy issues would keep me from wanting to participate in any discussion and simply exchanging signal reports doesn't sound as fun. It's still constantly at the back of my mind as something I want to try though, and I really want to but I don't want to spend the money for equipment and the time learning morse code when what I'd be limited to doesn't sound like it would be much fun.

For those unaware, the privacy issues now days aren't simply someone tuning to the frequency you're on and possibly recording, it's that equipment that can record activity on every frequency that can easily travel over the horizon simultaneously is relatively inexpensive for the average person and software that can convert all radio traffic using any mode other than regular speech (such as morse code) into text so that it can be searched through with a computer is starting to be used by some amateur radio enthusiasts.

there's a good ham general in /diy/ also the morse requirement in the US was dropped years ago, and i'm pretty sure everywhere else in the world as well. you don't need to learn morse unless you want to jump on the lower parts of each band to chat it up with old dudes sending morse. the privacy aspect....eh, your full name and address is going to be published on the FCC website with your callsign anyway, or you can get a P.O. Box where at least your home address isn't public. the dude that bought the Mojave Phone Booth number (and setup a Signal and SMS chat with it, along with 9 party lines) somehow has his username on his FCC license instead of his real name. no clue how he did that, but i'd like to find out.

your second paragraph is kind of concerting, i had no clue about that. i only recently got my general, haven't used it much but only because i just have a shitty baofeng for now. all the drama between hams (people recording each other and all that, posting it online) seems to be centered around the Jow Forums of ham radio, i.e. 14.313 MHz, 7200 KHz, and 3840 KHz. i honestly wouldn't worry about privacy issues, fuck all those cocksuckers that do that shit. get into it and have fun. there is sooooo much to do and mess around with in ham radio, i love it. don't let idiots ruin your fun.

Real talk, how well does SDR work for shortwave

>also the morse requirement in the US was dropped years ago
I know that. My interest is due to it easily being more than 20x more efficient than voice modes. Computer controlled digital modes (such as FT8) can reach or even pass that, but all the popular ones that do (such as FT8) really aren't good for anything beyond scripted exchanges of signal strength and whatnot and the established ones that don't have a strict character limit based around short exchanges (such as PSK31) have a small fraction of the users vs morse code.

>your second paragraph is kind of concerting, i had no clue about that.
Currently the only way they use that stuff to go after people is for enforcing contest rules, but I'm concerned that it will expand in the future given what I've seen happen on the web and I've never used social media for the same reason. The software that can convert modes other than voice modes to text for easy processing by a computer can be used for some neat things though, such as maps of activity by band for DXers so they can see what areas can be reached (the Reverse Beacon Network) and statistics about digital mode usage (PSK Reporter).

Links for the Reverse Beacon Network and PSK Reporter if you want to check them out yourself:
reversebeacon.net/index.php
pskreporter.info/cgi-bin/pskstats.pl

I've used one those. They're nice. Good quality. It's been a long while since I have done anything ham radio related. School and life in the way.

I have a Yaesu FT-60 and USRP B100

It's no different than hardware shortwave except high wattage transceivers will be extremely limited in frequency range.

E i g h t has a board dedicated to ham radio, but it's fucking dead. I occasionally check it to see if some poor bastard asked a new question.

Because shortwave broadcasts aren't in stereo.

Which SDR?

DAB is like anything digital.
It has potential to be vastly superior to analogue, but gives broadcasters a lot of options to fuck things up.

256k MP2 or 128k LC-AAC transmissions have greater frequency response and a much lower noise floor compared to FM radio.
A properly planned transmitter network has the potential to have far greater reception compared to AM/FM radio (particularly in noise and obstruction heavy environments like cities) with more modern modulation techniques.
Information and interactive services can be added quite easily (including graphical, web and text based content) using little bandwidth at low cost to the broadcaster and no cost to the listener.

BUT.

Why have nine good sounding services when you can fit thirty in at 32kbit/s?
Why have better reception when you can use the enhanced signal resilience to quarter your ERP and save a bunch?
Why have interactive services when everyone has an iPhone?

The only thing that's killed DAB radio is the stations.

bump

Attached: FT100.jpg (1000x750, 91K)

I suppose a Bluetooth speaker and a phone/computer would serve the same function. As far as a standalone unit goes I'm not sure if there is a ready-made product out there but I'm sure you could make something with a raspberry pi pretty easily. I think it would be cool to modify and old Sony radio to play streams.

Attached: sony_cfm-31l_portable_radio_cassette_recorder.jpg (800x687, 116K)

I don't have HF but sending memes via slow scan is fun.

Attached: greatjob2.png (320x236, 185K)

Is there a digital AM in the US here?

Is that why analog AM stations loike WOR sound like such shit?

No, AM is still analog. If they were to switch to something new on the AM broadcast band, they would replace the AM part as well rather than just throwing digital voice on top of it.

>The audio quality is worse with most DAB stations transmitting at 128kbps which is dogshit

A lot are 64kbps mono in the uk now - and it's MP2 not even mp3,

is this incel/gay thread?

Radio is cucked and bluepilled. Use the internet instead. Down with MSM.

What frequency, user? I'd love to receive your memes here!

>just keep buying, goyim! If you don't, you're outdated and nobody will like you!

Alex Jones is "cucked and bluepilled"? Because what you usually hear on shortwave is far from being "mainstream media".

. Does SSB on all AM bands and even has a RDS decoder on FM. Around 100 USD imported from Australia.
Some HP LaserJet. I forgot the exact model but it's a 4-in-1 printer/copier/scanner/fax. I've used the fax part of it maybe twice in the last 5 years.

Attached: IMG_20180910_1517481.jpg (3743x2315, 1.87M)

That depends where do u live
For example in poland DAB suck ass but in norway it is pretty good

I got my HAM license upgraded recently (Extra), bought a Kenwood TM-281 and a Baofeng UV-5R. Very good quality all in all.

Is there really that much VHF activity where you live to justify a mobile radio? Where I live, the only VHF/UHF activity is a couple of nets per week and very brief conversations about trivial matters by a few people who are close friends that don't even happen every day.

>being a dxlet that can't tune anything outside his city

Found this little thing yesterday to listen to the Cowboys get BTFO yesterday. Been using it all day. I think it's neat.

Attached: IMG_2312.jpg (2722x2724, 1.49M)

Not that guy, but where I am there's tons of VHF/UHF activity. Also there are a few repeater networks that have pretty wide coverage across multiple states.

I want to get into CB radio but I'm not sure if it even exists on my country

Attached: 1334546485738.jpg (193x245, 47K)

What country do you live in? Most countries have some form of CB radio.

That tube amp looks awesome!
Does you notice an improvement or difference in sound?

I bought 3 of these and have them stashed around my home, work, and my dads place, for emergencies..

Its stupid because the UI is so obtuse that they're essentially useless without spending a solid 5 minutes reading over the instructions first.

Attached: Tecsun-PL-360-1-e1453423415328-479x1024.jpg (479x1024, 63K)

I fucking love the fact that there is a good contingent of channers getting into ham and radio as such. Not all hope is lost. Hope to catch some of you cunts on air instead of just the ragchewing old farts, whenever I get and set up a proper rig.

t. still Tx-less general

>useless without spending a solid 5 minutes reading over the instructions first
>reading the instructions first
>5 minutes
>reading
THE ABSOLUTE STATE

How far do shortwave signals go?

I want to get a license and ham it up but it feels like the only people I'll be talking to are literal boomers and maybe angry truckers. I've got a "world radio" receiver and all I hear are ranting evangelicals, government propaganda, digital noises, and the occasional cb chatter.
Quite far. With the proper conditions signals from as far as China and Russia can be heard in California.

How expensive is getting into this entire radio stuff?

Depends how far (literally) you're willing to go. A basic setup costs around $150 for a cheap handheld radio. A pro setup for long-distance communication can easily exceed $3000.

We are talking 200khz FM not nbfm.

Basic setup? Depends on how basic. Usually, the best way to start is to get a handheld Baofeng transciever for $30-$40. You should be able to get a lot of fun out of it if there's an active community on VFH/UHF unlike here.

bump

I would argue that an RTL-SDR is better for a beginner, given you can demodulate pretty much anything including the digital voice modes that people have started playing with today (which would set you back hundreds of dollars if you wanted a transceiver for all of them given there is no single transceiver that can do all of them). Also, the scanning ability blows the Baofeng out of the water (given the later can only scan ~3 channels per second while the RTL can scan all activity in 2 MHz chunks simultaniously), which is a great help if you're new and in an area where VHF and UHF activity aren't as poplar.

support your local radio dipshit, not those big media.

So NPR? College stations?

HD Radio works on AM too but I've never seen any stations that actually use it

>all local stations besides PBS owned by iheartradio

No thanks, I'd rather pay for Spotify than listen to the same 5 songs over and over with ads after every track

HD radio is nearly useless. I have it in my car and the additional stations (when they're there) are low quality and replaceable by other primary stations.

I agree, I wish the US had DAB instead of this proprietary HD Radio garbage

To me HD radio just feels like HDTV but with analog fallback. You get better quality on the digital channel and there's low-quality subchannels that nobody listens to or watches.

because they will be used primarily for SSB or AM shit that is not stereo anyway

CB is almost universal.. I'm pretty sure there are even niggers in Africa using it.

Believe me.. DAB is not that great.. it has actually fucked a lot with radio in some european countries

Quick reminder that only the original DAB is MP2.
DAB+ is HE-AAC v2.

Attached: 1529020065317.jpg (600x400, 23K)