Is Excel 97 still usable for making charts or will my professor and classmates laugh at me?

Is Excel 97 still usable for making charts or will my professor and classmates laugh at me?

Attached: egscreen.gif (439x399, 10K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/thelarkinn/status/1006746626617008128
support.office.com/en-us/article/use-excel-with-earlier-versions-of-excel-2fd9ffcb-6fce-485b-85af-fecfd651a5ac
youtube.com/watch?v=Tl9kD693ie4
invidio.us/watch?v=K_8_gazN7h0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Excel 97 still usable
still best

I don't even remember.

Excel 97 and 2000 are based af
Shit went downhill with 2003
Do it

>implying there us any worthwhile difference between 97 and 2016, except the embedded botnet

They will laugh aut you.
Sure it works but not all changes and new features in Excel 2016 are bad.
In cell graphs and auto formatting regarding values is pretty good stuff.
You'll need learning material to see what new features do and when to use them

Excel 97 doesn't support Unicode
Use Excel 2000

only an issue if you don't type american

Use Excel 2003

it's called english

sure, though you might as well use libreoffice unless you're using a win9x box

¿que?

Office 2016 is so fucking good

jesus that looks comfy

Nah, but you will make your own inconvenient since a lot of people don't bother to change the format, and the default format isn't supported on excel 97.

I doubt the actual core code has changed that much. There's only so much you can improve on a spreadsheet.

Depends on the use case.

People have made excel documents that is basically a program in itself.

You'll run into comparability issues loading their sheets. My guess is this is intentional design to make people upgrade, it happens constantly even using my 2007 version.

enjoy your file compatibility issues. you're better off using libre office. but seriously though did MS stop doing the student discount for the Office suite? I got it for like $10 when i was in college.

Only if you buy it through university. I had to buy mine using my uni's VPN to get the discount (on a third party site)

I remember buying it through our student bookstore and it came on a physical disc, but I suppose that wouldn't make sense in 2018

If your shit university in practice force you to use MS Office, pirate it or get a grey market key.

Depending on how much you value your time, a grey market key might be the better option than bothering with torrents.

Attached: Untitled.jpg (2234x953, 449K)

As I said I got it quite cheap. 15 euroshekels for the official full 2016 version.

Search "office blue edition" on Piratebay. It's a version of Office 2007 that will run on a toaster. Office 2007 is modern enough and it runs really well.

as they should. people who purposely use outdated software are cancer

>libreoffice

Attached: photo-1511145822182-677fa5800671[1].jpg (1000x668, 116K)

Of course it is. People were using it for all sorts of important work back in '97. The only real question is file compatibility but that can be overcome pretty easily.

just use python OP
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
import numpy as np
x = np.linspace(0,5,1001)
y = np.sin(x)
plt.plot(x,y)
plt.title("OP is a faggot")
plt.show()

Attached: figure_1.png (812x612, 23K)

It's usable for very simple graphs and equations.
Should probably get office 2013 or 2016 though. You can find the download online and activate with MSToolkit

donde esta los baño

2003 is basically the same, use that
a portable version is like 40mb or so

The core functions, (stuff 99% of people use) are still the same. The same applies to the other core office applications (Word,Access,Powerpoint,Outlook). Few things that are actually better in the older releases till 2013 release: Actual offline help, actual templates. (No "Net Access" required to use them). All you get with newer releases is more bloat, less offline features, and more flashy visual shit. Get the Office 2k7 compatibility pack if you need the new extensions on older office versions.

No me siento bien. Mis padres son hermanos.

Excel hasn't improved at all since 97.
And you can literally copy and paste from excel 97 to the office cloud shit and it works perfectly.

Excel 97 is great
Old software in general is just fucking fine, and cheap.

Except don't use old Visio... Use that open source shit Dia instead, visio is and has always been shit.

Excel 97 is fine, the only problem is it's a 32-bit version of Office so you're going to be limited by how much data you can enter. (However if you need 4GB+ of data, you need a database not a spreadsheet...)

Office 2010 and VS2010 are the last good MS products, after that they started shoving managed code into the UI and everything went to shit. They're slow, the UI is atrocious, and the programs are unreliable as hell. At my work I see Outlook 2013/2016 eat a PST file at least once a month. Whereas my copy of Outlook 2010 has literally had the same PST file, and it has never needed to be repaired/resynced.

Microsoft has really gone downhill, I'd love to know what the hell is going on over there. My guess is that a lot of their top talent has retired, and has been replaced by "web devs" w/ no real world experience, i.e this idiot: twitter.com/thelarkinn/status/1006746626617008128

god damn that ui is crisp
how did we lose our way

Attached: 1418787093295.jpg (521x522, 68K)

amerifat hipsters with their hamburger menus

>update from 2010 to 2016
>botnet significantly increased loading times
gee, thanks

>2003
it introduced matrixial formulas with {} as in:
{=someshit(a1:d4)}
several common functions accept a rectangle area of several lines + column, instead of just a range in a single line or column

i use office 2003 only. It was one of the very first office collections and the best one ever made.
They don't make software like this anymore. So sad.

Attached: male.jpg (724x540, 136K)

what's wrong with 03?

just because the dealer offers you free doses, you're not any less of a dumbfuck for becoming dependant on it.

they introduced DRM in 2003. pretty much ~2000 is the latest software you can buy for $2.00 on amazon and use legally, everything else has to be cracked.

>pretty much ~2000
you mean in general, by coincidence, or microsht ? yeah win2000 had offline VLK activation, XP had drm already, but win2003 still had offline didnt it?

i dont recall office 2003 requiring internet to activate, and with that, being finicky with key reuse, hardware changes, or any crazy shit winXP did.

or did you just mean legally from the EULA persective, meaning it was only valid for the original buyer with accompanying bill of purchase of office2003 cdrom from a store with my full name attacjed ?

>giving a fuck what your classmates think
thevirginstudent.jpg

I've never had trouble activating old MS products. Just unplug the Internet to trip the phone activation. Call the toll-free number and if it asks how many copies just say "1" and it will activate just fine. I've activated a single 2010 Pro key on about 4 or 5 machines concurrently (mostly VM sandboxes) using this method and the goyim has never stopped me.

Ty si ale kus pičuse

>i dont recall office 2003 requiring internet to activate
Wikipedia says it requires online activation.

> I've never had trouble activating old MS products. Just unplug the Internet to trip the phone activation.
Yeah this is where I personally draw the line. Once your software requires more than a product key I start looking at open source alternatives.

I'm not even stingy with money, I paid like $70 for sublime text to remove a popup.

there is nothing wrong with excel 97. we did not invent new kinds of math in the last 20 years. we did not invent new kinds of charts either. the advantage 97 and 2003 have over 2007 and beyond is the file menu telling you in plain english all the stuff you can do with the hotkey underlined so you can learn the hotkeys naturally. 2007 introduced the goddamn ribbon wasting space on the screen making you wait for a tooltip to appear to tell what the tiny icons mean and the real kicker - what the new hotkeys are - because they changed shit that was not broken for no good reason. excel 2013 made things even worse by making the chart wizard always open so you are getting letterboxed by the ribbon and letterboxed by the wizard and now your 1960x1080 monitor has 800x600 of spreadsheet on it like you are on your old packard bell and crt.
apache openoffice 4 has a file menu and it can do all the same shit excel can do. sometimes when I get a 2013/2016 excel file I convert it to 1997/2003 format then import into openoffice.
support.office.com/en-us/article/use-excel-with-earlier-versions-of-excel-2fd9ffcb-6fce-485b-85af-fecfd651a5ac

if you want to hear one of the men responsible for the ribbon suck himself off and brag about what a genius he is because he figured out how to ruin shit for no good reason check this out:
youtube.com/watch?v=Tl9kD693ie4
I swear this guy gave a ted talk but I can not track it down. listening to an idiot get absolutely everything related to UI design completely wrong helped me organize my UI design philosophy and cut it down to half a page of just the important shit. also righteous anger feels good.

Fucking ribbons

Don't worry we'll get rid of those sharp, brutish edges!

Attached: cd1d0b51cb60ed9ea62627678678f3ca8412efacf4775eceff863fcd2271da1f.png (680x472, 342K)

Support for larger files, more columns and rows, matrix functions, nicer scripting?
Old software is usable, but the latest excel releases are still better as long as you have the hardware to push them.

Attached: 1.jpg (1205x675, 145K)

Fuck off jaromír

That's a cute avatar

IIRC there is a plugin for Office 2003 for docx documents, which works in Office 2000.

use sc like a chad

Attached: Screenshot 2018-09-10 00.11.34.png (797x451, 15K)

what's wrong with openoffice?

Please explain further

Attached: 1534567424892.jpg (639x640, 50K)

>muh openorifice

Y'all should check out SC-IM.
SC-IM is to SC as Vim is to Vi.
Luke Smith uses it:
invidio.us/watch?v=K_8_gazN7h0

this looks awesome
does it run on freedos or just linux terminal

the old shitty toolbar UI wasn’t really that different and was just as bulky and ugly
t. regular user of office 97 and 2000

you could probably build it but why bother when DOS has tons of text mode spreadsheets like Lotus already that were actually designed to be used and not just to put on a resume

It does! There's a binary available on their site. Also, I recommend checking out SC-IM as well:

I love lotus but I'll try this too.

Only if you are Micheal P

>english is the only language in america
Someone didn't attend school geography

Wouldn't look that bad if he just took the testopill so he wouldn't look like a halfbreed of male and female

>invidio.us
This should be shilled more.
It is how a Youtube (or any video hosting service) should have been.
Not a limitless amount of shit.

What the fuck even is the purpose of excel?
Is it just meant for people too dumb for literally any interpreted scripting language?

what the actual fuck is the usecase
the more i think about it the dumber and dumber the entire concept of spreadsheets as a whole become

it allows you to quickly enter data into a grid
tab tab tab enter tab tab tab enter tab tab tab enter

there is no practical application for that though, entering data into anything should not be done manually
it comes from somewhere so just read from that somewhere into a 2d array or something

it's for office ladies who talk to people over the phone. you can't trust them to stick to JSON syntax.

Honestly you might as well take one tech class at school just for the free software lol

something like Excel is a combination of database, chart tool, and programming environment that's still simple enough for a non-technical user to figure out

>there is no practical application for that though, entering data into anything should not be done manually
anything on paper documents needs to be entered somewhere

plus, Excel does support external data sources, for if you're getting data from a company database anyway

What shitty universities are you going to? Don't they give you Office 365 for free?

lol no
excel is a must in lots of areas
just because you never had any use for it doesn't make it dumb

>the only problem is it's a 32-bit version of Office so you're going to be limited by how much data you can enter
Unless you work for Google or Amazon, I doubt you'll ever make spreadsheets big enough to run into the 4GB limit.

Excel 97 predates USB, so I wonder how you're going to print documents.

standard printer API provided by win32?

gnumeric & librecalc are better though

Why don't you go puour yuour self a fucking coup of tea britfag.
In case you didn't realize America made your garbage language far more phonetic so go fuck yourself with that teacup

hijueputa

Attached: 58ebb89116000020004d9b59.jpg (720x479, 107K)

Eh? Windows handles all I/O requests, so that's completely irrelevant.

Just use office online like the rest of the world family. Alternatively, google docs. If you want something free and offline get libreoffice or openoffice or just crack office 2016.

Dude there are people who the whole job is to input data.
Google Data Entry jobs

Attached: download_20180828_092424.jpg (1440x1800, 385K)

Are you using it because it is the last version of microsoft office that doesn't require a verification key?

bano estar aqui senor

*estropill