Its finally dead

Its finally dead.

Attached: 312DF0A7-0681-4520-B722-E0D26AE0D71C.png (2048x1536, 1.5M)

Other urls found in this thread:

appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=4794
nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2018-1038
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

THEY CAN'T DO THIS

>Microsoft has announced that it will indeed start charging Windows 7 customers a monthly fee from January 14th 2020, if they want to keep their computers safe.
>the price will increase each year
Dinosaur enterprises that just upgraded from XP to 7 will pay that increasing price for 10+ years.

Attached: le_poorfag_xdlol=).gif (500x378, 542K)

No it's not, in fact they will make more money out of Windows 7 in the coming years than they've made in the past decade.

just imagine. paying jews a monthly fee to use your computer.

muh games

Yeah, for corporations to still receive support after the extended support in 2020 ends.

Cut that shit out.

well MS isn't just doing it to make money, they're doing it to push people off of 7 (and presumably on to 10). I wouldn't be shocked if the price doubles every year specifically for that purpose.

Once everyone is irrevocably on 10 they can start turning the screws on enterprises by saying "oh, you want LTS? Too bad, we don't offer it anymore, enjoy your rolling release" Ossified IT departments everywhere will scream (and a lot will just not update and get hacked), but MS will save a gorillion dollars by not spending the programmer time backporting fixes to all sorts of stuff.

Windows 10 has stable releases though ("LTSB").

I don't want to defend Microsoft here, but if support was supposed to end 2020 in the first place, and they just decided to offer support after that for an added price, how is that a bad thing?

Does it matter? Kill explorer.exe and other garbage and write a whole new userland for windows.

That way you have the best of both worlds. All linux software and all windows software, in a slim manner.

i honestly think MS doesnt give a shit about windows anymore. they have built such a big cloud business that they really dont even need to sell windows anymore and it this point it probably cost them more money to pay the devs to maintain it.

Almost an irrelevant argument now thanks to DXVK and Proton. You can even run Denuvo games on Linux.

Yeah and I'm saying that MS would dearly like to get rid of that. They absolutely fucking hate the decade-long upgrade cycles that enterprises use, it costs a lot of money to maintain an OS for that long. MS will have more leverage when everyone is on 10.

Nice cropping and not saying anything more, linuxtard

>MS will have more leverage when everyone is on 10
And they are doing a great job making people hate it and begin looking at alternatives seriously.

>linuxtard
>ipad
?

This, Jow Forums is full of mongs desu.

>Make a Linux OS based on Windows 7
>Profit.

Well, eh, that just makes him more retarded.

>Linux OS
>based on windows 7

Attached: 20180909_150340.png (386x410, 161K)

You unironically strip everything down to the kernel and write a new userland; there have been some efforts for the 32bit versions. Sure it's not the linux kernel but for most intends and purposes people won't notice because it's mainly the userland that matters to them.

It's literally reverse embrace, extend, extinguish.

And someone's gonna put all that effort and make it free and open source?

you are delusional user.

>change or you'll pay
Absolutely devilish, Microsoft.

Attached: 1511229379027.png (1271x1149, 508K)

>“[T]oday we are announcing that we will offer paid Windows 7 Extended Security Updates (ESU) through January 2023. The Windows 7 ESU will be sold on a per-device basis and the price will increase each year,”

RIP IN PIECES
WIN7FAGS ARE FINISHED

>mfw we switched only 4 years ago
>Siemens doesn't touch linux at all
>Excel 5th most important program
>we will never ever stop sucking microdick

Attached: 53645756756.jpg (1280x720, 102K)

KICKING AND SCREAMING

Attached: wow.png (1234x242, 44K)

Doesn't this sound like Microsoft know how much people dislike 10 and them caving into the people who refuse to change?

Proton doesn't support most of my shit officially. Launching it on unconfirmed games is a roll of the dice as to whether it would work.
So no, until Proton supports 100% of the games windows 7 supports, it may as well not exist.

How do you get your electricity?
How do you get your Internet connection?

"whoa whoa user those are different"

>Pay to play.

MICROFAGS ABSOLUTELY WILL NEVER RECOVER. NOT EVEN APPLE CHARGES YOU TO USE THEIR OS.

Not really. Even with all the security and botnet memes, I'm still running Windows 10. I'm too weak to switch to a linux distro full-time, even though I could probably get by with it and I have installed Arch several times and even scripted my own installs for it.

There's a point where you're just jaded and accept the controls and powers everywhere around you. I still think I have a long way to go before I'm completely jaded, but it's definitely starting.

That's bullshit and you know it.
If almost every game worked on Proton the switch would be easier. It's not an all or nothing situation.

Siemens. What do you do, user? Sounds medical. At my last employment we did some work for an audiology clinic. Dear god the amount of software from like 6+ vendors was ridiculous. At least there's some standard in place, I forget what it was called. All the vendor applications could consult this shared database for client information.

>That's bullshit and you know it.
STALKER shadow of chernobyl got half the FPS and Dark Souls didn't even launch, complaining about missing DX11 and shader model 5.
>If almost every game worked on Proton
You mean if Proton worked on almost any game.

Except those actually are different. They have to be mutualized. It's physically impossible for everyone to own their own networks.

Software has no such limitation.

Define 'own'. You didn't write it. Did you even audit all the code you run?

CoP and DS2 and 3 work flawlessly.

And i'm pretty sure SoC would work eventually because i remember it working very well with Wine.

DS1 will probably never work well by virtue of the port being a piece of shit in the first place. You have to hack the game to make it run properly even on windows.

Yes but without going into detail we can remove those limitations. This is a Factorio problem. You could easily go "off the grid" so to speak and generate your own electricity.

You could become your own ISP and tunnel your own fiber to an IXP.

"But that's expensive user." Yeah. Software is expensive to create as well. Are there alternatives to proprietary software? Yes. That doesn't mean FLOSS is inherently cheaper to develop. Volunteer time is still time. Gitlab instances are still server instances with their own costs.

I think you can see where I'm going with my own slippery slope, where are you taking yours?

I meant the remaster for 1.
>""eventually""
Booo.
>will probably never work.
Works fine on Windows, good riddance Proton.

Physical ownership of perpetual license.
I'm not talking about the larger free software point here.

I meant eventually because SoC works well on wine already. Runs faster than windows even.

My point isn't that it's expensive. I'll gladly pay for software.

My point is that the subscription model and the user captivity it generates is by no means justifiable for an operating system.

For a network it's a natural fit because the infrascruture is necessarily outside of your control.

I don't see the issue. In fact, a lot of what they are doing seems pretty fucking good.
>Microsoft is announcing a new Desktop App Assure service on Sept. 6. Microsoft officials said based on customer and Windows Insider information, 99 percent of existing Windows 7 apps are compatible with new Windows 10 updates, and they're willing to back that claim with this new service.
>Desktop App Assure will allow users who encounter any app compatibility issues after a Windows 10 or Office 365 ProPlus Update to file a ticket through FastTrack and have a Microsoft engineer work with them until the issues are resolved.

Not for me it doesn't. AMD Cpu and GPU, ubuntu 18.04, what are your specs?

Install GNU/NT

Intel/Nvidia on Arch.
Are you using the latest Wine?

>winshit
>anything
dropped

Attached: mscall.jpg (535x350, 20K)

appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=4794

The Steam version is ironically the problem most likely. The GOG one works flawlessly.

Yes, 3.14 staging, I believe. Does proton even use my system wine install

Too bad linux is a raw piece of shit. It takes ages of tinkering to make it do something that in windows takes a couple of clicks.

And how will they charge people who haven't even paid for it, aka 90% of the userbase

>My point is that the subscription model and the user captivity it generates is by no means justifiable for an operating system.
Ahhhh I see where you're going now. To an extent I agree. I don't like subscription models either but that's just the way things are going now. Plenty of reasons for that, I don't want to have to debate every little one.

All I hope is that the government stays out of it. I'm a liberty fag and believe the market will decide what is best. People seem willing to pay for Adobe Creative Cloud, AutoDesk subscription licenses, Office 365, and so on. I think the subscription and rolling release trend is here to stay.

No it's an entirely different thing.

What the FUCK are you even talking about, you tech-illiterate retard? Make what free and open source?

Proton isn't the only option, dipshit. There are plenty of things that work via setting up Wine and DXVK manually that don't work on Proton (yet). Hell, you don't even need to do it manually any more since people have already written install scripts for almost everything via Lutris.

>"if they want to keep their computers safe"
just don't pay the fee. What are they going to do? Take away your computer?

Attached: cheesewife.png (1492x956, 1.45M)

>Microsoft is currently only making this offer to Windows 7 Professional customers in Volume Licensing. Some small businesses may qualify, but the vast majority of everyday consumers (most of whom are running Windows 7 Home) will not.
Fuck off, faggot.

Attached: 1528259799348.jpg (433x679, 139K)

nothing really with medical, mostly industrial general purpose controllers from like 6 different vendors and HMI running on windows machines

>Fuck off, faggot.

Attached: 1528259799348.jpg (433x679, 52K)

They could install a time bomb and we may never be aware of it because muh proprietary.

>Updating your W7
Why'd you do this? What is this ""Support" MS is speaking of? Is not turning your updates indefinitely after a clean install of W7 to update specific KBs manually when the need arises an amerishart thing?

>People seem willing to pay for Adobe Creative Cloud
In my experience the creatives i worked with had nothing but complaints about them going full SaaS.

I doubt the trend is here to stay myself. It might stick around where it's appropriate but I see the financed OSS route more likely than the SaaS one.

I've been in quite a few shops that have been burned by the power they gave to the people hosting their data and vital software. And in a couple others where it's literally illegal to outsource this stuff for strategic reasons.
Companies like to host their own to maintain control about as much as they like to use proven software.

Only on Jow Forums are retards proud of running un-updated vulnerable operating systems.

>I'm a weak willed faggot so everyone else is
desu I switched to loonix full time after 10 happened, I run 10 in a passthrough vm when I want to gaym or do other botnetty shit, never been easier
and it's not even about the privacy, after making my own workflow in gentoo there is no way in hell I can go back to working in wangblows, it's infuriating to have no control

>helping customers shift to a modern desktop
>helping

>un-updated vulnerable

-50 IQ

Now I get to understand what retarded mindset is behind """"people""" who were jumping on W10.

>he didn't already switch to Linux the moment Windows 10 looked like it was going to have a shitty release

I keep Win7 and Win10 in virtual machines just in case I need them, but otherwise use Linux 95% of the time.

Hello, retard.

>download torrent from old version before windohs ten was made
>disable all shit from windohs including updates via hosts file
solved

>t. actual retard who likes to feast on shit MS pajeets are shoving down his throat

>I'm ignorant and proud!
enjoy your vulnerabilities

I'm with you, user. I preach hosting your own as much as possible as well. At my last employment I had the office manager of an NPO ask me for a brief opinion on some web software they were thinking of using for what was basically a CRM.

I could have probably taken on a massive project but I'm not there yet with my skills. At the very least I got them to rethink some things, they ended up going with a web suite of some kind that at least will let them export to CSV.

I never said everyone else is. I was cherry-picking, true. But I wasn't making an over-generalization. People come to different decisions based on a large number of variables. Some I day I may investigate doing an Arch based install again. Not while I have very limited hardware resources (literally one laptop and my home desktop) and am going to school. I need my system to be there for me and be compatible with what I'm expected to accomplish. That compromise works for me. My desires are different than yours and are different from your friends. Choice is good.

That'll work.

what vulnerabilities?

No, it sounds like they want to stop supporting old, out of date software, but companies refuse to upgrade. They're giving them 3 more years, but at a cost so it's worth it for MS.

windows is awful in a virtual machine
riddled with bugs that doesn't exist outside of the virtual machine

>vulnerable
>keeping important anything on something other than BSD
setup a nas you dumb faggot, no matter how many updates you take up the ass you're still 99% of 0days
only BSD or other hardened kernels are protected from those
why do I give a fuck if I get infected by anything, I can just roll back to a backup image in seconds and all of my data is on the nas, easier than taking the botnet isn't it

j-just disable updates and unplug from the internet or just use a vm with internet..? im scared

windows is awful
riddled with bugs
FTFY

Feels gr8 to be on Windows 10 :3

>a Microsoft engineer

Attached: indian call center.jpg (608x378, 22K)

nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2018-1038 for example.

>lol just use bsd
Fuck off.

Sure, but on a virtual machine there's a plethora of random as fuck bugs that simply do not exist otherwise.

>eople seem willing to pay for Adobe Creative Cloud, AutoDesk subscription licenses, Office 365, and so on.
Because they have no fucking choice, at least with Adobe and Autodesk shit, they are the industry standards with little competition and if you work professionally you are required to use them. Adobe in particular controls most of the creative industry from advertising and photography to printing and publishing, nobody has an option but to pay the toll.

such as what ? I've used win7 in a VM for development for years with a gentoo host, found it to boot and perform faster than bare metal installs
>given solution
>lol fuck off
great argument kind sir, I'll do the needful
enjoy your "secure" updated system, don't forget to call ms support when the next 0day happens

They do have a choice.
They just refuse to move on. Simple as that. Look at how quick Sketch took off. Wanna know why that happened? Because companies allowed themselves the chance to use alternative software.

If your manager exclusively wants to use Creative Cloud and is willing to pay for it, why would you claim you have "no fucking choice"? The choice has already been made.

What about powerful GNU software such as gimp and freecad?

I fail to see how your examples don't also apply to Windows.
There are alternatives to AutoDesk. I agree, they're crap but they are out there. I don't have direct experience as an EU of this software but I know people who are and they wouldn't jump on board with the alternatives.
There are alternatives to Adobe. I agree, they're crap but they are out there. I don't have direct experience as an EU of this software but I know people who are and they wouldn't jump on board with the alternatives.

There are alternatives to Windows. I have more experience with Windows alternatives but I've accepted that normies wouldn't make a switch because I asked nicely or did a good job of persuading them. After using the alternative for a day or a week, they'd be back on Windows 10.

How is
>just run a completely different operating system lol
a valid solution?

Loads of visual glitches for instance. We're talking missing menus, flickering icons after every action, random transparency, etc.
> found it to boot and perform faster than bare metal installs
That is a very silly claim with absolutely no foundation in reality. It would be believable if you said it performed just fine, but better than bare metal? Please snap the fuck out of it.

>kind sir
>>>/reddit/

So if you want upgrades then you'll pay, if you don't care about upgrades then you don't pay.
What's the big deal?
Only thing I see is that they're offering a way for users to have upgrades after the end of life support. They're not disabling your computer if you don't pay.

You don't understand, there isn't an alternative for one thing, no photo editor is close to Ps/Lr, no vector program is close to Ai. Second of all, these programs are taught in college and have been used by companies for decades at this point, Adobe is as entrenched in the creative industry as Windows is in the corporate world. Everyone requires proprietary file formats like .pdf, .ai and .psd when collaborating or submitting for production to other companies. Toppling the Adobe giant isn't happening any time soon, so people are forced to continue paying. You can get away with older CS versions in most cases though.

>Lutris
>alternatives
yeah no cunt, I want to play games, not set up bullshit software. Call me when everything runs flawlessly, on Steam.

here

I don't disagree with anything. You've expanded on the concept with precise examples. That's precisely why most of the companies won't go anywhere for a long time until really great, polished, and compatible alternatives come out. The alternatives don't necessarily have to be FLOSS, either.

Open & Libre Office have been around for a long time and they're still not used in most businesses because if you're submitting documents back and forth with a Word user, any break in compatibility is downtime.

This goes for when you're in school and when you're in the workforce. Your teacher, classmates, coworkers, customers, partners, and boss do not want to deal with compatibility breaks. Unfortunately that sometimes means sucking up and paying up.

This but unironically. Windows 7 fags are BTFOREVER

so basically if they can't make more money over the 100's of dollars they spent on a the win7 licence. because of no telemetry/datamining and forced ads, they will charge them a montly fee to make up for it.

or force them into 10 where they get to get all precious dataminijng/ad forcing.

>>Linux OS
>>based on windows 7

you meant
Windows OS
based on OS2 Warp.

Attached: file.png (640x480, 71K)

Why people upgrade windows, pay microcuck and all that shit??
the pirated w7 dvd i burned ages ago still works without any problem.

>Siemens
>sounds medical

Attached: 1495116875011.jpg (884x800, 68K)