Why do we have both Gigabit and Gigabyte? It is confusing as hell

Why do we have both Gigabit and Gigabyte? It is confusing as hell.

Attached: xx.png (575x460, 6K)

Other urls found in this thread:

e2e.ti.com/support/microcontrollers/c2000/f/171/t/21671?Unsigned-Char-8-bits
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8b/10b_encoding
fuse.wikichip.org/news/1634/hot-chips-30-intel-kaby-lake-g/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

so that isps can confuse the normans into thinking they deliver faster speeds

Gigabits result in bigger numbers, and bigger numbers make it easier to sell shit to morons.

Tech science is full of jargon, buzzwords, bad english and incoherent algebraeic rules.

Its also one of the few sciences spearheaded by the capitalism at all costs americans.

Put 2 and 2 together

Don't forget Gibibyte.

I have 1 gigabit fiber internet. Makes my e-peen big

The bit is the basic unit of information, which is why most ISPs use it. The byte is more common in daily use so some ISPs offer their speeds in bytes.

This is my pet peeve. I hate that we have both gigabytes and gibibytes. I've seen Linux distros use both without the proper nomenclature.

Because after years of computer science existing, some pedantic morons decided that you can't call 1024 a kilo.

Because we have a bit and a byte you dumb fuck.

This is correct. However...
It is more intuitive to measure transfer speeds in bits, because information doesn't travel in bytes.

Bytes bit count can actually very
Obviously nobody uses anything than 8 bit bytes anymore, but they did

Because it's not right. The metric prefix kilo means 10^3 not 2^10. The problem is how most people don't know about the difference (or binary prefixes even existing) and get scammed when it comes to storage space.

isn't the standard packet size like 4 kilobytes? shouldn't it be in bytes as a result?

Its to fuck with the illiterates like you.

>can actually very
dumbass

>I've seen Linux distros use both without the proper nomenclature.
Citation required.

/thread

Why do we have both dollars and cents? It's too confusing!

>Obviously nobody uses anything than 8 bit bytes anymore
NETWORKING

why don't retail stores use the basic unit of money--the penny-- to price things? like 100pennies for a monster

Retartd

It's not confusing. Think grams and kilograms. You recognize that 30 g is equal to thirty grams, and 2 kg is equal to two kilograms. I could say that I weigh 70,000 grams or I could say that I weigh 70 kg. You know that one thousand grams = one kilogram.

What I am trying to say is, it's confusing because you lack understanding. 8 bits = 1 byte. When talking about bits, be it kilobits, megabits, gigabits, etc. It will be represented with a lowercase b. When talking about bytes, be it kilobytes, megabytes, or gigabytes, it will be represented in upper case as B.

Since we now know that there are 8 bits in each byte, much like we know there are 1000 grams in each kilogram, and bits are represented with a lowercase b, and bytes with an uppercase B, we now have an understanding and will never be confused!

The fundamental element of information is the bit but many data types are 1 byte wide or more

oh mate... I'll let you figure out this one: at analog level, how does data travel? what is 1 bit what is 0?

kilo is exactly and precisely one thousand.

it's not a bit or a byte, it's an electrical impulse or flash of light. when translated back into digital information, it's done in bytes.

Either you're doing this on purpose or you don't really understand how data is transmitted
t. not him

a..user... here's dumbed down version:
there's either a current or no current
so 1 bit or no bit (0)
and this is how data travels, using electrons (or photons)
and this is how, technically data transfer rate should be measured, in bits

well.. maybe I exaggerated a bit saying it's more intuitive... not many people care how data is transfered, therefore maybe measuring in bytes would be more convenient.
point is Gbps isn't wrong and technically more correct than GBps.

It's not, you're just retarded

>it's confusing because you lack understanding

You're welcome to fuck off and use the europoor internet.

Oh wait, you don't have one.

I hope you're not american, because if you are then you're nowhere near in place to shit on euro Internet.

1 byte == 8 bits
b = bit
B = byte
you're welcome.

Asus needs some competition

>lack understanding
are you one of those people who says "whilst" as well? just say "you don't understand". please don't talk like you're trying to sound like some victorian era intellectual.

/thread

I'm not a dumbass, I know data is a stored/transmitted collection of 1(on) or 0(off) states. A bit is one value, and a byte is a string of 8 of these same variable.

but standard packet size for the vast majority is measured in bytes, isn't it? You know, the primary way we store and use data (in packets) is ALL measured in bytes?

I think it's confusing because the people who charge money for services who's quality and quantity directly are effected by the difference between bits and bytes will manipulate that language to deceive normie consumers. If you glance at a billboard that says "50mbps", someone could easily assume that means 50 megabytes per second and not 50 megabits.

if the difference is literally uppercase and lowercase (Mb for megabytes and mb for megabits), it's easy to see how people could get bamboozled.

>you should have low IQ and no knowledge at all, just like me
>how dare you be better than me, don't you know it's not rad anymore?
The absolute state of kids these days.

>who's
>effected
>will manipulate that language to deceive normie consumers
In other news sky is blue.

ur a cheeky cunt m8 I'll give ya that

but please, feel free to rebute any actual point in my post instead of attacking ad-hominem

I could call you a big telecom shill (a very likely story considering the board demographic), but that's also an ad-hominem attack and not an actual argument.

>they don't like capitalism, therefore they must be european
Retard. BTW, Europe has better internet than USA.

You didn't post any outright lie in the part I bothered to read, just some shitty truisms, hence my amusement.

>if the difference is literally uppercase and lowercase (Mb for megabytes and mb for megabits)
M for mega is always uppercase.
Mb ... Megabit
MB ... Megabyte
MiB ... Mibibyte

I like how the thread starts with a naive question like "why use different units in different contexts?" and how it quickly degenerates into a EU vs US shitfest never chg

see, that's why this is fucked, my local ISP and my mobile carrier reads it off at mbps, not Mbps or MBps
god I hate monopoly ISP's

>ISP reads off speed unit all in uppercase and includes asterisks to denote the intended speed, which is megabits
FUG

Just assume the worst - that it's Mb, then
Is it Comcast?

no, it's a shitty little podunk town isp that owns the only fiber line out of the area. Still gets gov't and city grants tho, and my continuous uptime has never risen above 2 days

there's a satellite service I can get, but it regularly breaks 2000ms ping and is super expensive

Because sometimes you don't want to take a big gigabyte out of something, sometimes you just want a little gigabit of it

Now that is bullshit on several levels. mbps would be millibits per second.

>I'm not a dumbass, I know data is a stored/transmitted collection of 1(on) or 0(off) states
no because that doesn't account for
fluctuation in potential, so it's more like < 1.2 V = 0, and > 1.2 V = 1
the world is analogue, digital is a meme

you're a meme

Same reason we have centimeters and inches, so we can use bigger numbers to make things sound bigger.

The only bitch I have is that when I give gparted or cfparted or any fucking parted a nice round number to make my partitions, I end up with something like
$ df -hT ~ /
Filesystem Type Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda7 ext4 404G 35G 349G 9% /home
/dev/sda5 ext4 19G 7.3G 10G 43% /

and somehow in countries which use metric units you'd still be buying a 50 inch TV, not a 127 cm one, even though 127 is bigger than 50 so it has more potential to attract normies

A bit is a univeral metric for information. A byte can vary depending on architecture.

Even if the drive is still 100 GB, i.e. 100*10^9 bytes, people are still scammed because of overhead and other necessities.

Take Gb/s and divide by 8 to find GB/s

>people are still scammed because of overhead and other necessities
I don't know that much about the topic. How much space are we talking about here?

Because they are different units. There are 8 bits in a byte.

Thus, to find the download speed in gigabytes/second, you take the gigabit/second and divide by 8.

It can be several gigs.

That is not correct.
When you consider raw transfer in gigabit you also need to account for correction bits sent in, so real usable information is limited.

>why do we have bits and bytes?
Are you fucking serious?

Attached: hi l3ddit.jpg (425x309, 42K)

Because a byte it made of 8 bits

Should the Hobbit be the size of 1/8 a hobbyte?

Just memorize where they're typically used. Things related to speed, ie networks, bitrate on a video etc are usually bits per second, and things dealing with size are usually bytes and almost never used when relating to speed

Technically I guess you're right, but what was the last, most common 10-bit byte size computer you ever heard of? My guess without searching is that things have been 8 bits to the byte since the 50's or 60's

It's mostly a problem with embedded systems today. Consumers won't deal with different byte-schemes than the common 8-bit/1-byte.

>being this dumb

ok yes sometimes you can encode multiple bits into one sybol. eg m-ary 256 encoding encodes 8 bits per symbol.

But that shit is for radios and wireless transmission which unfortunatly.

I have no idea what the fuck youre on for 4k packet size. that shit aint default for anything.

Ah fair I hadn't thought of that. I'm curious to know what you do that deals with non-standard byte size embedded systems now though. Are they mostly older systems? Or are there still companies making embedded devices with non-standard byte widths?

Mostly in DSPs that I know of.

DSPs use 8bits to a byte, so you're talking bullocks.

what you probably meant was they use unusual memory alignment sometimes, and have a shit load of ALU's (40+)

No. A byte is the smallest addressable memory unit. It doesn't mean that it must be 8 bits.
e2e.ti.com/support/microcontrollers/c2000/f/171/t/21671?Unsigned-Char-8-bits
>The smallest unit size for a variable is a 16-bit value.

Unironically this

I just recently learned that 25Mb/s speed connection only means three megs in practice

Brilliant autismo. I like to believe that a hobbyte comprises 8 compressed hobbits anyway.

I bet that 8 tiny Frodos would win in a fight against the Hobbit

25 Mbit/s = 3.125 MB/s
then you'll need to subtract header, flags, overhead; assuming there's no re-transmissions and the link is stable, you'll still waste ~2.75% at best, therefore 3 MB/s (aka 2.86 MiB/s ....) is the effective throughput

>he doesn't know about gibibytes and gibibits

are you retarded?
a bunch of random shit uses it in random places. ls -h uses 1024 and most file managers use fucking 1000

Ethernet uses 10bits to transfer 8bits of information.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8b/10b_encoding

how can you compress a single bit?

gotta check those bits

Attached: 1506957835138.gif (300x203, 643K)

you may compress them when they team up in a hobbyte
redundant data is easy as pie to compress

Damn, nice bits bro

yea no shit, when they team up

>some pedantic morons said we had to use meters instead of feet. Oopsies, I accidentally crashed a hundred million dollar spacecraft because I used the wrong units, teehee

most of Europe has been doing capitalism longer than the u.s. with no break. i swear to god sometimes it seems like you freaks dont have any beliefs just programmed oppositions.

Checked.

Not really. The OS and filesystem is not a concern for hard drive manufacturers. If you attach an unformatted 1 TB drive and start writing data to it, you're going to get 1 TB plus a little more to make up for potential bad blocks.

no
7 bits == 1 byte

when you do communications/hardware shit you usually measure throughput and efficiency in bits per second/baud. it doesn't matter that the packet that the software is handling is only 4kb increments, you want to know how fast you can shoot each individual symbol that makes that packet reliably through the line

1024 Mbit = 128 Mbyte

They made things even more confusing. They call 4GB as 4GiB in this article even though ram banks are only counted in 2s. 4GB = 3814 MiB.

fuse.wikichip.org/news/1634/hot-chips-30-intel-kaby-lake-g/

1024 KB = 976 KiB

1 TB should be 909 GB unformatted ( then you lose some due to OS ).

GB = (1000/1024)^3
TB = (1000/1024)^4

So I finally get a 25 megabyte connection...Up and down. But still kind of suck because I'm not in NA

GIVE ME MY MEBIBYTES and throw in some GIBIBYTES FOR GOOD MEASURE

Kinda like 4k?

bites are different than bits
in a full bite fits many small bits

Data transfer speeds are typically measures per bit, because how many bits are in a byte is implementation dependent (it's almost always 8 bites per byte, but sometimes it's not nowadays, but it wasn't always like that).