Display passphrase from private key?

noob question - can I display the passphrase for my private key somehow? I have/know my private key, just forget the passphrase.

Attached: GoAnywhereMFT_OpenPGP-Diagram_web.png (675x550, 119K)

Other urls found in this thread:

warosu.org/g/thread/S67525959#p67525959
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

private key = private passphrase

good to know, but can I translate somehow the key into the passphrase text?

Probably not, I don't know shit about what encryption you're using, but I think its a digest like MD5

no you can't, that is what a hash is supposed to protect from

can be easily cracked if md5

Md5 is never "cracked", just bruteforced/rainbowtabled
Learn2diggest

can also be easily cracked if early gen SHA or even md5(salt,pass)

dunno either, whatever pgp4usb uses...

i guess my real question is, say I lose my private key or I don't want to store the exported private key, all I want to do is know my passphrase, would I be able to decrypt messages/files by somehow importing my published public key and re-creating the private from the public if I know the passphrase?

Your passphrase is totally separate from your actual key. Your encryption key is generated on its own, and then optionally additionally encrypted with a passphrase (usually using 3DES) to prevent people who gain access to your keyfile from immediately being able to use it. Your passphrase is not a part of your key and cannot be derived from it.

Can you guys stop? There's no digest being used. It's an encryption key, not a password hash. There would be absolutely no point if it were just a hash.

No. You must have the private key to decrypt messages encrypted with the public key. Again, the passphrase's sole purpose is to encrypt your private key, which you then use to perform actual message decryption os signing.

F, i mean gpg4usb...

ok. so... if i have a bunch of encrypted files on my drive, and i never export my private key and save that somewhere secure, i'm screwed, no way to decrypt them, even if I knew my published public key AND somehow could remember the passphrase?

HOLY FUCKING CHRIST, YOU INFINITE FUCKING RETARD

IT'S ALMOST LIKE "CRACKING" IS SLANG FOR BRUTE-FORCING
IT'S ALMOST LIKE I DIDN'T SUGGEST THAT OP SHOULD DO A YET ANOTHER CRYPTANALYSIS OF MD5 AND COME OUT WITH A YET ANOTHER REDUNDANT FUCKING PAPER ON N MORE HASH COLLISIONS IN Y TIME

LEARN TO NOT TRY TO SOUND KNOWLEDGEABLE BY POINTING OUT THE ABSOLUTE RUDIMENTARY BASICS

OH AND BTW,
DID YOU KNOW THAT YOUR USE OF "RAINBOWTABLED" IN YOUR COMMENT WAS ACTUALLY UNNECESSARY, THHIIHIHIHI? BECAUSE RAINBOWTABLES ARE IN FACT ONLY SALTED SUBSETS OF ORDINARY NONCE-LESS BRUTEFORCING
I LEARNED THIS IN CRYPTO 101
LRN2HASHLOL

lol being this fucking triggered, do you have autism?

Attached: 00000000000000003.jpg (450x450, 38K)

Correct. That's the entire point of asymmetric cryptography. If you don't have the correct keyfile, you can't decrypt the files. The passphrase is irrelevant to the actual file decryption process. All it does is decrypt is your keyfile, which you then use to perform the actual file decryption.

88ee5dc617ea3e384b3bf5c0e57de8b5
get back to me when you can sort out this basic fucking digest, kiddo ^

not an argument

Okay, thanks for the info. I guess I was hoping that i'd be able to decrypt my files if i'd lost my priv key by getting it back via a combo of pub key and passphrase. Which in hindsight, duh, that'd be stupid.

guess i better export/backup my priv key then!

Thanks everyone!

not the same guy you replied to faggot, just amazed how triggered and emotional affected you are

Attached: 1514940385153.jpg (638x629, 44K)

>88
>88
are you wizard

not the same guy you replied to, sorry

way to save face there queer

Attached: 02.jpg (600x536, 77K)

No worries man. Apology accepted.

not an argument

You're delusional. No apology was given.

don't feel bad we have already accepted your apology, there is no need for you to retract it based on a weird sense of honor.

Feel free to point out where the alleged apology was posted. I'll be waiting.

Oh and btw, here's the archive of the thread in case you were going to say "you deleted it":
warosu.org/g/thread/S67525959#p67525959
There are so far 0 deleted posts in this thread.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-09-09 at 12.06.44 PM.png (315x86, 18K)

Why would we want to delete a reply referencing your apology?

fucking destroyed

not the same guy you replied to, sorry

No that's the fucking point

HOW IS THIS HARD FOR YOU TO UNDERSTAND? That was never implied. THAT'S NOT HOW Jow Forums WORKS. You see, users cannot delete the comments of other users, friendo.

Apology accepted

we accepted have your apology buddy

not an argument

not an apology

No apology has been posted by me in this thread, you infinite inept fucktard.
Feel free to point it out, if you can find this hypothetical event.

not your buddy, friendo

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
I NEED METH