/spg/ - Smartphone General

No More Notch Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: oneplus-6-notch.gif (1100x825, 1.1M)

Other urls found in this thread:

mobiel.nl/smartphone/xiaomi/redmi-note-5-64gb
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com
forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-j7/samsung-galaxy-j7-prime--j7-on-nxt-exynos7870/rom-samsung-galaxy-j7-t3780644
blog.the-ebook-reader.com/2016/09/27/yotaphone-2-with-e-ink-screen-on-sale-for-139/
yotatechnologies.com/news
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>You will never have a phone with an e-ink notch/notification bar that's set into the top bezel

Did you mean LG v series

Screen for my Moto X Style has been replaced at last, and is still going strong.

By far one of the best budget phones you can get today. Hasn't aged so bad also. You can get one on eBay for sub $140. I paid $400 with customization at launch for mine!

Best phone under 300€ in the Netherlands?

Redmi Note 5

You know where to buy best without high taxes and shipping cost?

Just buy it locally
mobiel.nl/smartphone/xiaomi/redmi-note-5-64gb

Nice, thanks

Huawei P20 Lite.

>Good Resources:
>>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
>gsmarena.com
>phonearena.com
>kimovil.com

Doesn't include www.phonemore.com

Attached: pep.jpg (618x597, 144K)

dumb frog poster

Based and Redpilled

does Jow Forums use tempered glass screen protectors or do you just rely on a good silicone case?

Thinking of pulling the trigger in this to go with my S9 Plus. What do you think Jow Forums?
Description and seller ratings on the item in specific checks out.

Attached: Screenshot_20180905-113520_eBay.jpg (1080x2220, 334K)

I use a semi-hard plastic case with slightly raised lips. Thinner than silicone cases too.

go for it, you can store music on the buds themselves, great for gyming.

great battery life in the new ones, totally worth it.

Neither.
Considering a leather/fabric case just to make it more comfy to hold, but they're kind of expensive.

Attached: WP_20180604_11_27_14_Raw__highres.jpg (2560x1441, 2.78M)

I'm tired of seeing my phone having 13GB used out of 16GB for just the system applications. And this is on moments I format my phone. I give my phone a complete format every month just to keep it running okay because my phone gets laggy after just the 3rd week mark.

It's a Samsung Galaxy J7 Prime and I know it's not a great phone but I'd like the TouchWiz shit gone and I don't want any system applications in it. How do I install a clean android? With no pre-installed apps in it?

What are the complications that I'll face if I do this?

Attached: SPECS.png (1200x630, 82K)

Search for your model on XDA forums, if it's possible there will be tutorials on how to do it.

have m7, should i get another m7 or a m10?

Neither.
I live fearless and don't have a consumerist phone that breaks if you blow on it.

forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-j7/samsung-galaxy-j7-prime--j7-on-nxt-exynos7870/rom-samsung-galaxy-j7-t3780644

I can't bring myself to buying chinkshit spyware like huawei/redmi/xiaomi/whatever

so does anyone here own a the sony xz2 compact? it's the only thing that ticks all the boxes for me, except he bloatware
but I haven't gotten my hands on one yet

Attached: xz2compact.png (1198x936, 2.74M)

Really a lot of thanks, anons.

But I have a question. How safe are these open source OSs? Alsop there are so many here, Havoc, Lineage, OreoRemixRessurection, etc. Which do I choose?!

or just replace my battery and hope it helps how slow my current m7 is

Have a peek at the XA2. Cheaper and better looking.

Lineage is your gold standard.

>I can't bring myself to buying chinkshit spyware like huawei/redmi/xiaomi/whatever
Good thing LineageOS and custom ROMs are a thing. No OEM firmware is safe either way.

Why do you guys pay $700+ for a new smartphone when you can just buy last year's (or the year before)top end model for ~$150?

You can pick up a S7 Galaxy on ebay for $120-$150 easy. The difference between this phone and the current gen top of the line is very minimal.

>Have a peek at the XA2
>200 euros cheaper
well that was easy
from what I can tell it's mainly for the different CPU, less storage (don't care), and a gig of RAM
but I can't imagine it being that much slower than the Nokia 8 that I have (too big) and if it's faster than the Nexus 5 then I'll be fine at that price
thanks for the tip user
>LineageOS and custom ROMs
they are a thing but frankly I don't want to bother, I fiddle with enough technical things at work, I just want something to work properly and smoothly outside work

>Why do you guys pay $700+ for a new smartphone when you can just buy last year's (or the year before)top end model for ~$150?
Because they're consumerist cuck that want to show off how well adapted they are to this consumerism-driven society.

They lack self-confidence and the only confidence they can get is through the image they show to others.

In short, they're the contrarian version of Apple cucks.

what do you use as a launcher? Why?

Attached: 1420099814802.jpg (250x239, 13K)

Just ordered the Pixel 2 XL to replace my aging Nexus 5. I'd sure hope this is the correct decision...

Attached: Capture.png (942x365, 54K)

I've got a Pixel 2 XL and I love it quite a bit. Having a phone with no bloat besides the google shit is pretty fantastic.

I just found my Nexus 5x in the bottom of a drawer, want to turn it into the ultimate neckbeard phone.

I already installed fdroid. What now?

how do we feel about the axon 7?

You realize Pixel 3 and 3 XL are coming out next month?

>$700+
people in these threads buying chick midrange and budget flagships
>last year's top end model for ~$150
No, you can't get a single new 2017 flagship for ~$150. But have fun with that used s7 (released feb 2016) that needs a battery replacement and root for custom rom (hope you got a exynos) and updates.

Attached: 1452251620690.png (1200x1000, 1.05M)

Too old

Attached: google-pixel-3-xl-notch.jpg (700x440, 31K)

No notch on the regular Pixel 3

Attached: UG7W06a.jpg (1151x1534, 179K)

>phone for manlets

>posts a phone thats over 2 years old
>massive hyperbole
No you cant. Quit fucking lying.

Attached: s7.png (1017x922, 250K)

Moving from Apple to android, what are some essential apps for weebs and gaymurs?

Is it possible for an SD card to destroy a phone? My phone started restarting so I bought a new phone, but the same thing started happening with that one so I bought another phone again and the same thing is happening.

Yeah but it's going to be significantly more expensive than what I paid for the Pixel 2 XL ie. equivalent of 650 USD.

>Contrarian calling others contrarian

Attached: C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg (800x450, 45K)

to be fair, you're on eBay Canada and the prices are going to be fucked because of that.

Why are you moving OS's for? It's a lot more work just to suffice the needs of Jow Forums?

tachiyomi
emulators: retroarch, ppsspp, dratsic, onscripter plus and more

Grow up and stop playing video games on your phone. A phone is a tool not a play thing or a toy.

>monopoly dollar

>is on Jow Forums
>tells others to grow up
Well, rounded adult right here.

Alright lads. I’m from NZ and want a phone that isn’t much bigger than the normal sized iPhones/Samsung, has a nice screen and a decent sized battery life (can last a day of moderate use). Don’t really care about specs or anything else. I’m a student so budget is tight

Colors seem pretty washed out. Maybe I'm just used to saturated amoleds but everything looks dull on mine

Its the truth if youre so autistic you can't stop playing games for more than 5 minutes seek help. Jeez Jow Forumsentooman are pathetic

Doesn't it have a setting for colour profiles?

Attached: Screenshot_20180909-235224.png (720x1280, 680K)

Literally not an argument, you might as well hop on back to /v/ find a basedboy wojack infront of a Nintendo Switch. You know what? Here ya go, saved you some time.

Attached: 1514653542998.png (1200x800, 263K)

>Xiaomi releases a sd845 phone for the same price as a big screen sd636 phone

Why

pedo

>But have fun with that used s7 (released feb 2016) that needs a battery replacement
Sadly, it's known for horrible batters nonetheless. Custom ROMs are available though.

I don't watch movies or anything fancy on my phone anyway; again, it can't be worse than the Nexus 5 screen (I hope) and that one's just fine for me
if the hardware would be holding up I'd never replace it, but here we are, after 5 years...the poor thing just can't do much anymore, bluetooth interruptions if I have the screen on, can't cache much of anything, space issues

what is pound-for-pound the best browser for Android? Using Chrome right now.

Manlets love big phones

Lg v20?

Tachiyomi is the bomb. It's even compatible with sad panda.

dolphin

A phone is a tool to do anything you want it to do, stop having such a tunnel vision view about phones, nowadays people use smartphones for everything, from taking pics to paying money.

have you tried using it without that sd card?

Yes I hav and it still happens

How much of a difference is there between a Snapdragon 660 and 630?
Literally the only difference between 2 phones I'm considering.

A lot.

how about one with an e-ink second screen?

blog.the-ebook-reader.com/2016/09/27/yotaphone-2-with-e-ink-screen-on-sale-for-139/

Not much.

Attached: 1524425460257.jpg (619x453, 28K)

>buy new phone
>2 years pass
>manufacturer cripples the phone so its barely usable, forcing you to upgrade
UPRISING WHEN??????

Attached: 199.jpg (884x666, 146K)

Just flash a custom ROM.

Or don't use iOS.

happened with samsung, htc, and now oneplus. Flashed Oneplus to Lineage, seems to really help but gives me battery drains...

what's the point of a goddamn notch when that part of the screen is going to get in the way of viewing media/photos, and it's just a notification bar and clock for the rest of the time

iOS is more battery efficient than ever. It's not a problem at all and hasn't been. The problem are the small battery capacities that people often abuse (most people have iPhone, most people are dumb and careless) so the system tries to compensate for lack of charge remaining by holding the CPU back on 5 year old phones.

Cheaper screens for more profit.

In case of the iPhone it's to look impressive and be able to brag with a screen/body ratio. In case of everyone else who have the chin, it's pointless and they should have gone the way of the Mi Mix.

Take a look at my notch

Attached: Screenshot_20180909-191522.jpg (1080x2280, 1.09M)

Oi wait a second

Attached: PHONY.png (291x597, 203K)

uuuugh you should see my gf. Installs every possible app ever and than comes to me like "But user whyyyyyyyy does my battery last only half a dayyyyyyyy"

Get an Android One phone. The Nokia 6.1 and Mi A2 are both great options and I think being Android One certified guarantees OTA updates for 2 years, plus it's stock so no intentional slowdown fuckery.

how is that a cheaper display?

lineage, pixel experience, or resurrection remix?

Whats the difference?

My gf plays Sims on her iPhone X and charges it plugged into her laptop, then asks why her battery doesn't last long. If she were more beautiful I wouldn't necessarily care.

Attached: 74b.jpg (600x693, 40K)

whats wrong with charging plugging it into a laptop?

>no notch
the entire top and bottom is a notch, the notch is so big it cuts the entire top and bottom off the screen lmao

>yotaphone 2

Get with the times

yotatechnologies.com/news

Attached: Yota-Yotaphone-3-4G-Only-English-Octa-Core-4G-64G-Android7-1-Dual-Scree-Smartphone-5.jpg (1000x1000, 136K)

Yes, and currently using a glass back magnetic case.

Besides it being lazy, it's a 3A port that'll waste more miliamps to charge a phone in transfer thus degrading the capacity of the laptop's own battery. It's not a substitute for charging a phone with a AC brick adapter or power bank.

Pixel 2 XL or OP6?

This. Also make sure you buy your Pocophone from an authorised dealer!

Blackberry Key2 or Key2 LE for Sprint or Verizon: Is that ever going to happen? Why would BB just abandon 50% of the US cellphone market?

Why is it that Jow Forums has the highest number of random people going into a thread just to spout memes

Could the GPXL 2 go down in price officially when they reveal the 3?

Attached: 1535514841260.png (480x515, 306K)