/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Create a parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC
Search youtube for a guide for your socket

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses; eg Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose and graphics card pairing.
>Don't use Speccy. Use HWinfo, SIV, etc.
>For Win7 in Ryzen, refer to pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

CPU
>R3 2200G - Bare minimum gaming(dGPU optional)
>R5 2400G/i5-8400 - Consider IF on sale
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>Wait for 9700k - Almost surely best for 1080p gaming
>R7 2700/X - Best high-end gaming/mixed usage on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

RAM
>8GB - Enough for most gaming use
>16GB - Standard for heavy use
>32GB - If you have to ask, you don't need this
>CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 2933MHz+ is ideal

Graphics cards
>RTX 2000 cards are worse performance per $ than current GPUs. Just a marketing gimmick to rip off idiots
>Avoid cheap MODELS ie MSI Armor (Mk2 is ok), Gigabyte G1/Wf, ASUS dual, and others which have small heatsinks and low quality fans
1080p
>RX 570/580 /w Freesync or 1060 6GB are standard 1080p 60fps+ options
>1050 3Gb or RX560 for lower settings, or older games
>GTX 1070Ti/Vega 56 if seeking higher FPS /w a high hz monitor
1440p
>Vega 56; 1070Ti/1080 if you already have Gsync
>GTX 1080Ti if seeking higher FPS /w a high hz monitor
>Upscale from 1620-1800p. Maybe 2080Ti, but awful value.
OpenCL work
>Vega 64

Storage
>Backup before using StoreMi
>Consider getting a larger SSD (better GB/$) instead of small SSD & large HDD
>2TB HDDs are barely more $ than 1TB
>M.2 is a form factor, NOT a performance standard

Display
>Consider 75hz minimum; 60hz are mostly old models.
>Always consider FreeSync with AMD cards
>___sync is important for slower response time monitors (IPS)
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING

More
rentry.co/pcbg-more

Previous

Attached: 902.jpg (680x544, 30K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/rbJPvn
pcpartpicker.com/list/
kinguin.net/category/19429/windows-10-professional-oem-key/
pcpartpicker.com/list/pkYh29
pcpartpicker.com/list/Pn8m29
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/tRKdMZ
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/VmDTFt
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Official release on i7 97000k?

When are the rtx 600 series cards coming out?

2700x or wait for 3700x? Any news on 3700x?

Apologies in advance for the spoon feeding, but I really know nothing about this.

I'm looking to buy a gaming PC, I've got about £1000 budget, gonna use it for gaming obviously, not looking for the most high end top of the bargain PC, but something that's good and will do a job. Any ideas where to start or where I can read/learn more info about? Friends have told me not to bother buying pre-built but I may have to as I have no idea how to build or anything else otherwise

What software is better than gimp? An user recommend me one, but I forgot it's name

Attached: my_beest.jpg (250x445, 34K)

Unironically what equipment do I need to run Crysis in 1080 60 FPS? I've got money left to spend but it shouldn't be overkill, my current cpu is i7-4770 and an r9 270x. I know the latter is outdated nowadays, but how about the cpu? It would probably be better to build a new PC from scratch, since that would also mean a new cooler aswell as other parts I don't know about...

basically seconding this

I'm upgrading the core of my computer (mobo, CPU and RAM) and considering getting a new GPU too. I've been running my 750Ti for years now and it's been serving me very well with no sign of giving out, but I could probably still use with an upgrade. A second hand 960 looks very cheap, is it a good upgrade from what I've been running? I'd likely just run them both, 960 on my main monitor and 750 on the other two. Or would it be better to buy another 750Ti and combine them, as you need identitcal GPU's to do that right?

>97000k
Year 2118

Can't make a build rn but best value build around that price is
I5 8400
B360 mobo
16gb 2666 cl15 ram
1070ti
550w psu

Building your own PC takes some effort, but I'd say it's worth it. If you wanna learn, start by lurking Jow Forums and asking people. And whatever the nig/g/ers recommend, always double check. Read the benchmarks. Select the best components in your price range, and then select a motherboard that can fit them all. As far as building the actual thing goes, it's not as difficult as it might seem. Having a friend who has done it before helps, but if you're doing it yourself with no guidance, just read the fucking manuals and you're good to go

>laptop has 4k 60hz display
>reset security settings in bios to get rid of bios password
>it now won't go to 4K, but does 1080p 75hz

Fellas?

I hope you mean Crysis 3? On decent settings you're looking at a 970 or 1060, and if you can deal with medium ish you can do 1050ti/1050 or a 960. RX570/470 and up works too.

Photoshop.
If you're content with lightroom-tier editing then I like Polarr

Okay thanks fellas, I'll keep the advice in mind and I'll use that spec list you mentioned as a baseline, much appreciated

Different guy but dumb question, what about SSD?

You can fit one there, 250 or 500gb is ideal. I myself use 128gb since i don't care about putting all my games on ssd, just windows and basic programs. You don't really need more than that if you don't care about loading screens in games being slower.

pcpartpicker.com/list/rbJPvn

This breaks budget barely but almost no real cut corners here. Even the SSD is sizeable

That's 1000 dollars, I have a 1000 pounds to spend, which is maybe about 1300 US Dollars, so I'm good there.

Thank you so much though this is perfect for me to start out with and go from there, honestly thank you user

Lmao fuck my bad. Well that leaves some dollars for a decent 144hz display and a W10 license from G2A or Kinguin.

You're welcome buddy

pcpartpicker.com/list/

kinguin.net/category/19429/windows-10-professional-oem-key/

I added the monitor I use personally, and a link to a site where you can get Windows cheaper

pcpartpicker.com/list/pkYh29

whoops copied wrong link

Which one of the following GPU+CPU combos are the better long-time investment for 75+ fps at 1440p on medium-high setings (not ultra):
An r5 2600 with 16gb 3200 CL16 ram and a 1070/1070ti
or An r5 2600 with 16gb 3200 Cl16 ram and a Vega 56?
I'd opt for the 1070 since it is both cooler and more power efficient but if there are any good Vega 54's at the same price point I'll likely get one of those because of freesync and just pair it with a 75hz monitor.

Attached: 1443277083642.jpg (288x216, 19K)

Wondeful mate that makes it a lot easier, I'll have to do some research on how to literally build it and constuct it together, worse case scenario I'll get the pieces and ask someone to construct it for me, but you've made this much easier for me, thanks a bunch

pcpartpicker.com/list/Pn8m29

Can I get some thoughts on this build?

Attached: Thenamelessone.jpg (200x187, 8K)

Need your guys help troubleshooting. I turned on my PC for the first time, and now Im stuck with just a Q-Code 8. I cant find anything to helpme fix the problem. Already tried reseating the cpu.

finally can afford to build a good PC.

My main goal is having it be quiet. No loud ass fans, etc. Any suggestions for brands/products that will reduce common noise makers in PC's?

Really only plan to do software development (not that intensive), shitposting, and playing casual stuff like overwatch/civ/etc on 1080. Could probably spend around $1,500 if it's worth it but would prefer to spend less

What's better, a ryzen 7 2700 with a b450 or the 2600x with an x470 mobo?

Ryzen without b-die is awful, so either get 3200 cl14 or go intel since it's much cheaper thus better for 1440p
Vega is a meme no one buys that shit
I would get 1070ti for comfy 75+ on high

Drop the cooler get 2666 ram and cheaper psu like the evga and use the money for better gpu. Also why tf are you paying 40 bucks for two case fans

Is an overclocked i5 2500k fine for a GTX 1080 or will it cause too much of a bottleneck?

Shit, my bad dude, I'm using this one for gaming and emulation mainly, small coding and editing projects.

>Ryzen without b-die is awful
No it isn't.

np mate

>vega
is all I can say desu

whoops, wrong guy.

This man is right

The CPU won't get too hot if I drop the cooler?
Why 2666 ram?
Which GPU would be suggest?

How ebin is my cable management? Case is a HAF 912.

Attached: back.jpg (1265x961, 391K)

Do you see any issues with this build:
>ryzen 2600
>evga 1070 sc
>ripjaws 3200
>gigabyte ab350n
>samsung 860 evo 500gb ssd
>HP Omen 25 144hz

Does anything here look like like it'd slow the other parts down?

I have an i5 haswell (4750k or some shit) desktop with 12GB of ram and a 250GB HDD. I don't remember since I didn't use it much and I bought a cheap mobo, ram and cpu combo. Should I bother getting a video card for it? I wouldn't mind a nice gaming video card but at the same time I read that a cheap video card is the same price as a ryzen 3 which is a great APU from what I seen. Should I get a video card for this or just ignore the video card and for the next build just wait for DDR4 ram prices to drop and get some sort of ryzen APU?

Attached: 1519845258733.png (433x429, 349K)

>gigabyte ab350n
Don't do it, my man. That board is shit.
Overclocking is a bitch and temperatures are hotter than satan's asshole.
t. gigabyte ab350n user.

Okay so I want to build my first pc. I live in Poland and i have 4000pln, which is around $1100, to spend on pc and 1080p monitor. I have done some research and it seems gtx 1060 will be sufficient for my expectations. However, I can't decide between i5 8400 and i5 8600k. Is it worth to go for 8600k? My reasoning is that by the fact I can overclock it, it will last me longer so that I wouldn't have to upgrade it soon. Also I would appreciate other full build recommendations and monitors in that price range. I would mostly play games, learn programming and do collage projects in CAD and whatnot

>custom made cables
that's cheating

I've never overclocked and I want to read about it to learn before building my new pc. Naturally, there's a lot to learn and Google shows a lot of results. Can anyone recommend a reliable and updated guide?

Attached: 1535048598742.png (338x372, 372K)

It's from the RM750X I'm running.

>poozen

neat, didn't know that they come with these cables

I've read mixed things, but it's the best mitx for my budget. I also don't really plan on overclocking, which might help keep temps down.

Do you have actual reason to say that, or are you trying to hide the fact that intel had no reason to offer better products to their customers until AMD did?

>poozen

Damn, you have a point

>picking a cpu based on politics

Attached: snap.jpg (1200x794, 97K)

nvidia and intelfags make me lean towards amd cuz AMDfags have better bants

enjoy your 80 cores that do fuck all and overpriced gpu's

well no it's retarded to buy amd gpus right now but cpu is an easy choice for me and i love my 2700x

That depends. If company's politics makes it more trustworthy, that is a valid thing to decide on. Then there's a better chance that they won't have botched security, because they simply didn't care enough.

Attached: 1534789823558.png (915x678, 386K)

>it's retarded to buy amd gpus right now
If you're a windowsfag, probably.

2600x

Literally any YouTube video

>imagine being so autistic you have to use some dead os to feel cool

what about my 2600x?

Attached: 1507577957482.gif (266x243, 250K)

>2600x
>emulation
Thanks for the kek

Attached: 1534737506611.png (915x678, 188K)

niche =/= dead

Somewhere between optimal and barely enough

Go back to installing spectre patches.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a build with the new athlons? I'm looking for something that can rival the NUC's form factor without having to buy intel.

>I've read mixed things, but it's the best mitx for my budget. I also don't really plan on overclocking, which might help keep temps down.
I don't overclock and STILL get high temperatures. Just buy another mobo, man.
Also it has problems with Ram (memory) support.

I'm this close to getting a PS4 Pro for all the exclusives.
Someone convince me to get a new PC setup instead

Attached: 8mftphb188g11.jpg (2500x2169, 1.9M)

what exclusives? i was looking into it myself because i wanted to play the bigger playerbase in DBFZ but god damn there are only two PS4 exclusives I was remotely interested in, Bloodborne and Persona 5. Decided against it and splurged on my new rig.

I am flip flopping between 2 potential builds and I wonder which you guys think is superior, I am erring towards intel especially since apparently you need really good RAM to make use of Ryzen properly.
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/tRKdMZ
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/VmDTFt

Also does the power supply have compatibility issues or is it just pcpartpicker not having it listed properly? The EVGA I was wanting wasn't listed within it.

What games couldn't you play on PC compared to ps4 ?

Spider-Man
God of War
Red Dead 2 (Console exclusive for at least 1 year)
Bunch of other stuff I can't think of right now, basically AAA single player games.

maybe it's worth it for you then idk, I wouldn't buy a console unless there were at least 7-10 exclusives i wanted

See, you wish that were true, but the 6700K still shits on Threadrippers in gaming. This chart is true for like 1% of the population

Just got my 480 gb ssd, feelsblazingman

All the not expensive boards are mATX, I'm not sure if that really rivals the form factor. You're probably gonna have to wait for someone to release something like it in one piece. How does mATX ($50) with athlon ($55), M.2 SSD ($50), cheapo 4GB ram ($40, or 8GB $80) and case, PSU ($100) sound, for $300? Not great IMO.

Im with you on that, but I don't think I'll be getting a new rig for about €400-500

who even plays more than like 6 different games regularly

>overpriced gpu's
but that's Nivida..

i meant mainly single player games, a lot of multiplayer games that you would play for a long time are multiplat or PC. buying a console for one or two single player exclusives isn't worth it for me.

I got memed into a PS4 by /v/, the only game which was remotely fun was Bloodborne but even that didn't really click with me. Sold it to my nephew.
That said, PC isn't really that much better. AAA is getting worse with each year no matter the platform. At this point I'm just playing older shit and be glad I don't have to buy new hardware. That's the real strength of PC gaming, you have an endless catalogue of old and niche shit to delve into.

The patrician choice would be to get a dumpster diver PC and upgrade it so it becomes usable for your needs.

Hi if I use PC only for work (webdev with no dual monitor or anything else) what should I look into when choosing GPU (i don't have integrated one with the CPU and my 8 yo died)?
Are some of the cheapest ones okay? Should I pay any attention to the GPU or memory MHz, RAM type and size etc?

The _sync section could be much clearer.
Gsync works for when you have a range of FPS that often falls below the native panel refresh rate in Hz by eliminating lag/stutter.
If you have a range of FPS that often is well above the native panel refresh rate, then Vsync with limited buffer or just capping your FPS is fine to prevent screen tear.

Some people don't care about stutter or tear = don't get _sync
Some people care a lot about stutter = get _sync
Some people are tired of having to keep up with the latest and greatest HW to get FPS = get _sync
Some people rip at high FPS and care about tearing = just cap your FPS at the native refresh rate and buy a panel that can keep up.

Example 1: most of user's hours are spent playing shooters that get 150+ FPS easily. user should buy a 144Hz+ panel and cap FPS there to prevent tearing. No need to worry about lag/stutter.
Example 2: user plays a mix of games and struggles to get 100 FPS with most of them. user should get _sync panel at high refresh rate to enjoy those games without lag/stutter. Future GPU's will push the range higher but new games will also be more taxing. _sync panel will therefore be in service for a while.

are the guys who were trying to build a pc still lurking?
did you guys ever manage to do it?
talking about the mong who thought his pc was broke until he plugged in the power button and the guy who somehow made his psu explode

If your only requirement is to get display output then anything will do.
Get some cheap used GPU.

I hope aaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyMD release a 3400g
2400g is so good

What does Vsync do? Removes screen tearing but adds response time?

I have a mid range PC and I'm looking to buy a 144Hz monitor. The only games I'll hit 144fps in is e-sport games. Is it worth getting a g-sync monitor? Does it feel weird to go from say 120fps to 90fp or can you not really feel it?

Attached: 1536100454290.jpg (337x290, 56K)

Isn't the range for g/freesync much lower? Like in the 40s?

Yes, if your rate does actually drop below the native refresh, due to buffering. If FPS doesn't drop below, then limit the buffer function or just manually cap the FPS to match the native refresh.

best value gpu's now that don't suck dick are Nvidia. Vega is the epitome of overpriced. It simply costs like 100 dollars more than it should.

Yes, you play a mix of games that do not reach the native 144Hz in FPS. _sync will ensure you do not have lag/stutter when your FPS range is 60-100

I want to add - pay attention to Freesync ranges on various panels. Sometimes the range is very limited compared to Gsync. One example is having Freesync available from 52Hz to 75Hz. Not worth it.

>want to play on Ultra on 1080p/60hz
1060 6gb is probably the best choice, but I found a great deal on a Palit 1070 Super Jetstream
Kinda tempted to get a Jetstream 1070ti since it's only $30 more, but it's really overkill
wat do?

>not worth it
Don't most monitors include Freesync basically for free anyway?

This is true, but those who are expecting Freesync to solve their lag/stutter issues may be disappointed in limited ranges.
This is one area that Gsync is superior

But, because Freesync is so widely available, a solution is to simply choose the right panel.

After coming back from a 3 week vacation my PC wont boot. It was completely off, and unpowered. Now it just wont recognize any SATA ports, so it wont boot. Current mobo is a Gigabyte X58 UDR3. I have top shelf components on it.

Should I eBay a new used X58 for around $150 or should I buy a more modern mobo/cpu/ram combo?

Or buy a more modern used mobo, if so, what Intel boards are a good deal used? LGA 1150?

I can maybe snag some DDR3/4 RAM from work, and we use 4th gen Intel CPUs I could probably snag an i5 as well so just buy a new mobo.

What should I do? Replace with exact same thing, or something a bit more modern?

so what if it's an "overkill"... that only means it will last you longer considering you have a 1080p/60hz monitor

overkill, but lasts longer. You really cant go wrong with either choices; 1060 6gb can play 1080 60fps+ ob many games. If you're going for the 1070ti then you might also want to look into 1440p monitors (optional, you can still play 1080p with even more fps)

built yday
ryzen 5 1500x
8gb DDR4 3000
2TB 7200RPM
1060Ti
Asus B450m-a
Corsair 450w
inexpensive but okay white case by DIYPC