When are we going to have usb-c everything?

When are we going to have usb-c everything?

Attached: applel.jpg (1024x768, 91K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/product/B07GCF7FY8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

never

never

Already. Just buy new cables, a few adapters and usb-c new stuff.

Soon. If monitors start providing usb-c support along with power for laptops, people won't need so many adapters.

amazon.com/gp/product/B07GCF7FY8
We literally have USB-C soldering irons right now with 3.5mm audio jack soldering tips. Connect it to a power bank with replaceable 18650 batteries and you have your standardization paradise.

>people will defend this

When USB-D released.

Well, how much cables do you have to unplug when you leave? Hint: not 5.

>already
>just buy a few adapters
lol are you actually retarded?

You can also buy new stuff. What stuff do you need in type-c?

>not 5
Yes, you need to unplug 7 cables.

never

I have an x230.

this setup is hell. you have to worry about the tension on those short cables and all of the little bits that could get pulled or something.

you could just get a thunderbolt docking station sort of thing like pic related. then you actually only have one cable to disconnect and everything rests where it should.

Attached: 712CeNIGlrL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1500, 66K)

It just werks!

your claim that we already have USB-C everything, followed by "just buy adapters", is just idiotic because that's literally the situation the OP is asking to stop happening

Well, for example, I've had an USB 3.0 external hard drive. It had some retarded atrocity of micro-USB 3.0 on the case and a cable that made it a usual USB 3.0 drive. I just bought a micro-USB 3.0 to USB-C cable and now I live in the future.

we're getting there. My laptop, phone and nintendo switch all work off usbc power now.

I just realized how fucking stupid this setup is. Monoprice sells a usb-c adapter with power delivery, ethernet and 3 usb 3.0 ports for 20 bucks. I assume that the two middle connectors are HDMI and thats why hes using two of them but if thats not the case then what the fuck.

Attached: IMG_20180909_143936857.jpg (2048x1536, 627K)

This is actually fucking great.
But why the need for a 3.5mm jack. Doesn't the thing get all the power from the USB port?

Soldering tip is an analog device.

Attached: 41BRCMxZQlL.jpg (500x500, 28K)

Can you not count? There are 2 cables plugged into the computer.

Yes, 2 for computer and 5 more for dongles.

fixed for you, stupid

Attached: someone-gift-this.jpg (1200x1200, 197K)

Why would I need to plug the devices from the dongles if I'm taking my computer?

F

What if you need to plug anything not usb-c to your laptop on the go?

That's a valid point, can USB-C's be daisychained in that case? Like, display+usb hub to display+usb hub? I suppose he did that cause of latency, but I also don't know if apple usb-c's are display port outs or just usb3.1+TB3 so that you still need an external usb GPU to handle the display... in the first case (DP outputs) 2 ports make sense

And leave your peripherals here? Well, that's great.

Of course. I wouldn't be able to fit a 27 inch monitor and a printer in my backpack.

lol the artist tried to plug the hdmi in the wrong way

I don't, but I can buy another $20 dongle and keep it in my bag if I did.

Stop pushing this meme standard. USB-A is here to stay.

These hubs can't do 4k60. If a usb-c dongle carries a full displayport signal you are limited to usb 2.0 speeds for everything else. One usb-c dongle also can't carry 2 4k60s no matter what, so if you want to have dual monitors you either need 2 dongles or a thunderbolt dongle (which costs $200 vs $30).

2019 if you buy new stuff
2022 in average world
2028 maybe some companies or goverment need USB 2.0 device

You sure are funny, user. You got additional dongles inside your pocket, do you? And with bullyhunter™ devices too.

So i guess the real question is why someone would be stupid enough to try and power multiple 4k-60fps monitors off a ma....

oh.

This is basically what I want in a couple of years (no need to rush it). Imagine just walking around with your notebook from your work, just doing your thing. And when you get back to the office you just plug in 1 cable and your monitor, mouse, keyboard, lan cable and the power are all connected at once. It kind of feels like the evolution of the old docking stations to me but better and more standardized.

You're dumb as fuck to leave your shit plugged

Because they aren't poor and want maximum productivity.

You're dumb as fuck.
>yeah let me just unplug my monitor and take it with me in my bag. every time I go out.

(throttles thermally)

>thinking running dual 4k monitors is demanding
You obviously have no idea how computers work.

>These hubs can't do 4k60.
the one i originally posted is a thunderbolt 3 hub, so it does 2x4k monitors at 60hz or 1x5k monitor at 60hz. i have it hooked up now and it's pretty great

the usb-c hubs are garbage, but the reality is that 4k60hz displays practically saturate the highest usb-c speeds out there, so there's just no way that 1 usb-c cable can lead to a peripheral like a dock that'll drive more than 1 monitor.

see above. it's TB3. it works great.

i looked around and this one (attached) is apparently better, but at the time i was buying it wasn't available and i didn't need things like optical audio in

Attached: 71fAUcl9-0L._SL1028_.jpg (1028x1028, 113K)

Thunderbolt 3 hubs also cost $200 at minimum. If you're running just 1 4k display and keyboard/mouse usb-c will work fine at a fraction of the price. Also not all laptops support thunderbolt 3.

1. yes, hubs cost a lot; it's new tech and they need to support like 40gbps throughput as well as powering up to like 100w in some cases. it's not easy for china to mass produce junky versions.

2. if you're running 1 monitor, sure, but the point is if you want to drive more than 1 monitor then 1 USB-C cable won't be sufficient until the spec changes to support at least 2x throughput (which will probably only happen when 5k60Hz becomes more common, at which point we'll be stuck at 1 monitor again).

3. my bet is that MOST laptops don't support TB3, but the most visible/recognizable laptop that we talk about is the MBP, and it might have the largest share among all the laptops out there that offer *exclusively* usb-c ports (ie a plurality). it's the one the OP went with for a picture, so it seems fair to suggest it.

if you can do TB3, this kind of hub is basically what you want. you almost certainly want to wait, but if you're willing to shell out several thousand dollars for a new MBP and you want multiple 4k monitors at 60Hz, there's at least a non-zero chance that you're willing to pay $200 more to get all the contact points to your laptop reduced to 1 cable. i was happy to do it, and if my place burned down in a fire and i had to recreate my workspace, i'd buy this again.

this guys knows

>people still defending this

that looks so good such amazing design

Attached: 02.jpg (600x536, 77K)

>plug in 2 things is somehow worse than plugging in 6 things

defending what?

>fixed for you, stupid
this just shows how shit the design is of the new mac book pro

Pro's use docks faggot

Macbooks support docks too.

if a laptop manufacturer is going to adopt a new port, they can either do it early, or late, or do a mashup of old and new ports in the same body.

early and late have the obvious trade offs. you do the transition too early and everyone has to buy adapters for their old devices. do it too late and people have to buy adapters for new devices (which they're less likely to do; companies tend to go under when they adopt standards way too late).

i'm inferring (but you're decidedly not saying because i guess that'd mean taking a position, and then you might be called to defend it) that you want a mashup option. that's challenging because any space or engineering advantages the engineers were banking on with the new standard get eliminated. they want to make something everyone loves, but produce something everyone merely tolerates. but that's fine, because at least everyone tolerates it (rather than some people loving it and some people hating it).

and people merely tolerate it because at various points in time all of these ports become useless. let's say you have an HDMI port and a USB-C port. at first the USB-C port is useless as a video port. eventually the consumer buys a video cable that terminates in USB-C. now the HDMI port is useless as a video port. you can argue that the USB-C port juggles roles so it'll find use somewhere early on, but eventually, if you keep your laptop for a while, the USB-A, HDMI, and whatever other ports *will* become useless. so rather than carrying around adapters at the beginning of the device's lifespan, you're carrying around a whole laptop with ports you don't use at the end of it.

there's no option that's perfect. all of them have trade-offs. the mashup option might be fine for you, but if you refuse to acknowledge how the above sacrifices might be obnoxious to consumers and manufacturers, then do yourself and everyone else a favor and just lurk in these threads rather than post.

D O N G L E D
O
N
G
L
E
D

Attached: tenor.gifitemid10111909.gif (360x346, 170K)

I need the macbook to be as minimal as i can
if you wanted extensions AND horsepower go get a fucking PC laptop

Why not using a functional computer with proper ports in first place?

what went wrong

Attached: apple design 2016.png (1024x1191, 611K)

>MacBook
>Horsepower

It's probably horses or poneys as it throttle like a mule

bottom left is unironcially peak aesthetic

>one cable coming out of a laptop is better than 6

LEWD!

Attached: file.png (381x437, 181K)

The dock thing is pretty neat, having all your desk cables and charging plugged into one thing is great when you want to pick up your laptop and go.

Granted, this did exist before in the form of port replicators, but now it's just a single cable you plug in, instead of a giant fixed docking station.

what's wrong with the phone?

>stop liking what I hate

Jesus $95 for a shitty pencil soldering iron?
You can buy a Hakko 888 for that price and have something that'll actually work

Its Qualcomm quick charge not usb pd as it should be.

it does look like the USB standards people are cucking qualcomm and forcing PD