AV1, now on YouTube!

Youtube's now giving AV1 to Chrome nightly builds! You'll soon be able to download them from youtube-dl too, as its able to see them.
The age of AV1 is upon us lads!

Attached: output.png (1920x1050, 236K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=F1B9Fk_SgI0
github.com/rg3/youtube-dl/issues/17506
github.com/rg3/youtube-dl/commit/25d110be30b92f785617140b0617a73d8eec5f7b
git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git;a=commit;h=edafb9f529911438978ce025d45d11e3d8f57eb0
streamingmedia.com/Articles/Editorial/Featured-Articles/AV1-A-First-Look-127133.aspx
archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/aom/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Link a video in AV1.

youtube.com/watch?v=F1B9Fk_SgI0

youtube-dl support bug:
github.com/rg3/youtube-dl/issues/17506

Just youtube-dl -F on a fresh video.

Attached: CopyQ.jd8852.png (771x275, 92K)

Playing it in chrome canary 71 it still says its vp9.

>youtube-dl
reminder that you don't need sudo or anything to ''install'' it
just wget it to your home bin/ and chmod it

there is no AV1 in your screenshot

Same video.
I updated youtube-dl this morning btw.

forgot screenshot.

Attached: CopyQ.BC8852.png (840x1023, 163K)

AVC is not AV1 you dumb nigger

Attached: 1533196558915.png (512x384, 341K)

Attached: 1339550542697.jpg (266x239, 10K)

youtube-dl just added support for it!
github.com/rg3/youtube-dl/commit/25d110be30b92f785617140b0617a73d8eec5f7b
You can download them!

Attached: output.png (1920x960, 237K)

To mux audio streams (AAC only for now) in mp4 you need git master ffmpeg, they've just added support for that.
git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git;a=commit;h=edafb9f529911438978ce025d45d11e3d8f57eb0

So, to have *full* av1 support, update youtube-dl and compile and install git master ffmpeg.

so when will horriblesub switch to av1?

>weebs

Weebs have been driving video codec development since the Xvid days

I'm on Chromium 71 and youtube is only serving me vp9 video.

how many cores do i need to play av1?

The current reference decoder is single-threaded

so it's only useful for low resolution at the moment?

Attached: 1523404280365.jpg (960x947, 76K)

streamingmedia.com/Articles/Editorial/Featured-Articles/AV1-A-First-Look-127133.aspx

>As you can see, AV1 was the clear leader, H264 the clear laggard, and x265 and VP9 neck and neck in the middle.

THANK YOU BASED AV1

Attached: 117646-Ozer-AV1-Fig2.png-ORG.png (1010x620, 47K)

yay i can soon encode our family vhs videos from 80s and 90s to av1

Noice

Attached: ytdl.png (1009x513, 41K)

How come AV1 isn't available in higher res though?

Attached: AV1.png (1772x1803, 266K)

>tfw mpv can play AV1

Attached: Childish Gambino - Feels Like Summer-F1B9Fk_SgI0_00_00_33_0001-mpv.jpg (2135x1200, 687K)

They're probably still encoding the higher quality ones.

AV-1 takes too long to encode.
They're prioritizing the lower quality encodes because it turns out that what most people do is turn on stupid 8 hour baby shit and then just leave it running. YouTube can detect this and deliver accordingly lower quality videos, since babies don't give a shit about blocking artifacts

Or install it with pip locally.

Same with today's Firefox Nightly build. Why are they serving AV1 on Youtube if not even in-development browser support it? Doubt they did it for mpv + youtube-dl users.

YouTube app maybe?

You mean like on smart phones and TVs? No device out there has AV1 hardware decoding support, and none will until like 2020. Google is not going to use a software decoder on an ARM device that has full hardware H264 or VP9 decoding. The risk of delivering a less than ideal playback experience to the user is too big.

Oh shit, it's true!

Attached: mpv_2018-09-09_18-21-22.png (854x510, 498K)

What's wrong with encoding it now faggot?

Fuck all those haskell dependencies on the aur.
I'll wait for the repo.

archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/aom/

what font is this
post your desktop user

If you use yay, you have the option of removing them after the build finishes.

pretty sure it's fantasque sans mono user.

or just go to the youtube-dl github page and scroll down to where is says "installation"
>curl , wget , pip
>windows
>mac

Hack Regular, 9pt.

Attached: wayland-screenshot.jpg (3840x2160, 1.21M)

which one is right
im tired of using terminus

Good thread. I can even stream AV1, compiling with libaom paid off.

Attached: 2018-09-10-003950_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 1.68M)

Attached: font.png (1920x960, 138K)

>fantasque sans mono

hack regular. zeros.

I like this

Attached: Clipboard01.png (1955x1740, 392K)

Is there any other video with AV1? I looked at random crap posted in the last couple days but none use it.

I havent been able to find anymore either. I wonder why its just that video.

>8k
For what purpose?

same

>8K smaller than 4K

Maybe the 4k streams are set overshooting the intended quality/bitrate, but the 8k streams are made with more sensible settings?
Or maybe at 8k resolution VP9 is more efficient and that's the result, but i doubt it.

>Weebs have been driving video codec development

>Weebs actually believe this

Attached: 1491357243637.jpg (641x530, 41K)

You're aware that the x264 encoder is a think thanks to a weeb, right?

In fact, the whole field of psychovisual optimizations didn't exist before x264 proved it to be worth it. Companies were obsessing getting a high PSNR score until some basement weebs proved them wrong.
Then those weebs started earning millions for licensing their encoder and all left the field.
Then companies found out they can't actually measure visual difference without making an effort so they went back to having PSNR competitions and quotas for new codecs. AV1 included.

The one that become the turbo SJW tranny?

Trips confirm.

Not tranny, he got a sex change including a new legal identity, i think. But yes, that weeb.

She's hardly an SJW, but she did work for facebook and apple for a long time which is just as bad.

>In fact, the whole field of psychovisual optimizations didn't exist before x264 proved it to be worth it. Companies were obsessing getting a high PSNR score until some basement weebs proved them wrong.
>Then those weebs started earning millions for licensing their encoder and all left the field.
interesting, got any links to read more about the weeb contribution to x264?

look up dark shikari or something

All AV1 streams I can find are 144p

The video OP posted is 480p. Which one are you talking about?

Post links, they might still be encoding higher resolutions.

>dark shikari
Fiona Glaser, jesus christ, looks like he killed himself

Isn't that the inevitable fate of all trannies?

ffmpeg still has a hard time with the vp8 or vp9 or whatever the fuck that that one is. man fuck this av1 shit

What's weirder is that a second person has recently followed his path, an old x264 dev (and twice a gsoc student) who did mpv releases 5 years ago. Look up Kovensky.

>looks like he killed himself
What? Source?

He's probably referring to how obsessing over cosplay is equivalent to suicide for a man.

when will gookmoot allow vp9 god damn it

You mean AV1?

Nobody has time or patience to encode AV1 just to shitpost on Jow Forums. libaom has a long way to go before that. Until then, VP9 will allow for longer, bigger and better looking videos than VP8 with the current upload size limit.

Not only that but google seems to be abandoning webm and just using av1 in mp4. So chinkmoot would need to add support for mp4 as that's where most are going.

This post doesnt make any sense. Just because youtube is using mp4 doesnt mean fucking Jow Forums has to. Even though it would be nice.

hardware AV1 decoders in gpus when

AV1 works fine on WebM and the spec is pretty much finalized by now even if Google doesn't care about the container anymore. There's no reason to implement mp4 support on Jow Forums.

I installed aom 1.0.0 and aom-devel on fedora
then i added --enable-libaom to ffmpeg_options with mpv-build but I still get "ERROR: aom >= 1.0.0 not found using pkg-config". Does it mean the person who packaged aom fucked something up? I never figured out how to fix this shit, I remember you could do something like pkg-config=/path/to/aom but I could never get it to work.

VLC can play it too with v.3.0.4

Either Fedora is shipping libaom 0.1.0 and not 1.0.0, or as you said your pkg-config path needs some tinkering.

Locate where aom.pc is located then use PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/that/folder/with/the/pc/file when running ffmpeg's configure.

Because it would take all of youtubes computing power a whole week to encode 1 minute of 720p video.

With luck next year. But more likely 2020.

Jow Forums only supports vp8 tho

when will he kill himself?

why the fuck is there no vp9 support

Because mook doesn't care

just edit aom.pc, it's actually 1.0.0, not 0.1.0

Bumping just in case other videos get av1 encodings.

How is this a good thing? Youtube, Netflix and Amazon will just use this codec to even further reduce the bitrate of their already shit quality videos.

It is on E i g h t as well as mp4. Hiro is a fucking Jap kike that wants you to solve as many Google captchas as possible until you buy a pass.

>ffmpeg still has a hard time with the vp8 or vp9
You mean encoding speed wise? Yes, because libvpx's approach to multi-threading is kinda retarded. If you want to fully utilize a modern CPU you need to split the footage into several parts and encode them at the same time.

We should have just stuck with mpeg2 encoding.

google doesn't see the need to fix this since they would need to encode small chunks for DASH anyways

why would they need to? they just serve Crunchyroll rips.

fyi, AVC = H.264

they would just encode a video per thread
why try to split one video up when you have 1000 videos to encode?

Maybe it's because the Gambino video was uploaded in AV1 format?

nah, realvideo 1.0 should be enough