ITT we laugh at vim toddlers

Do you secretly laugh when you see vim kiddies with vim stickers on their laptops and bloated abomination of a vimrc?
I know I do.

Attached: vimecabomina5ion.png (355x399, 198K)

>complaining about autists taking the hard road to get proficient at something autistically

>nu/g/

i don't even use vim but sheesh

>Vim beeps. A lot. For instance, whenever I type a '>' in insert mode (can't even guess why it dislikes that specific character), or execute a macro, or tab-complete a file path. This is really starting to annoy me. Is there anywhere I can see a list of the things that make vim beep, and disable a bunch of them?

that's why I use the fucking nvi™ by Keith™ Bostic™ and never waste a second on configuration

use something less authistic like Atom or VSCode

>muh extensibility

they can be extended with javascript, you can do crazy shit like in Emacs but without using a deprecated, old and incomplete language like Elisp.

Use spacemacs.

Give me one reason to use Vim if I'm not a programmer.

I don't even use it as a programmer. I just use nano. If I'm doing actual dev work that requires a more feature rich editor, I move the file over to my local machine and do the editing there before transferring back. Easy as fuck with scp.

No. If you're interested in Vim, try it and check out the manual. I'm not going to spoonfeed you when Vim already has a top notch manual that you could read to determine if it would be useful for you.

>atom

This program is fucking garbage. You're basically running a web browser as a text editor. It's horribly inefficient.

Also, it can lead to some fucking weird shit. I was helping an intern with some code, so I sent the code over skype. He was sitting right next to me. He copy the code from skype, into atom. And it wouldn't work, even though there were no errors at all.

Because I knew it was a fucking web browser based text editor, I told him to retype all the code exact as it was. He did, and it was identicle, then deleted the code that was copy/pasted. It worked.

It was because there was some formatting that was copied from skype into atom. I have never had this happen with any other text editor, like notepad++, sublime, intellij, eclipse, vim, nano, etc.

Except when you have to edit files on a server. Where are your Atom and VSCode gods then, user?

I agree with you though that VSCode is a superior daily driver in nearly ever way, but everyone has a different situation and should find the tools that work for them and be honest about if it's helping them save time, or not. Too much dogmatism and elitism out there.
I think knowing vim/vi is really just an extension of how comfortable you are with the terminal.
I could 100% code just using terminal, but it doesn't always make practical sense given the abstractions other programs offer. Still, it's always nice to be able to drop down into that mode. It gives you a unique confidence.

>Except when you have to edit files on a server. Where are your Atom and VSCode gods then, user?

scp

Hey! Don't be mean! I use all these apps on my laptop!
I like vim because I can add every plugin I want to make it do what atom, sublime, or vscode or any other moderm IDE and still be a l33t coder because I'm in a terminal.

Attached: DkWIX-5VAAA7Ym6.jpg (1200x900, 126K)

>Except when you have to edit files on a server
That's a stupid argument. Any decent editor has the ability to edit remote files over whatever protocol you want seamlessly. Even Vim has it in its netrw plugin.

yeah, I guess learning vi or "nano" could be useful for a lot of work in the terminal. Hell, if you want to program in Lisp so much one could try Light Table, it uses Clojure but is more modern than Emacs.

What do you think about oni? it's a mix of Electron with vim. I heard mixed opinions about it.

Yeah I could see that I guess. I'd use Rsync in that case if it's a project you're hosting/updating. But if you're editing files specific to the server, like config files, it's at least nice to know some basic vi/vim commands.

I've already invested the time to learn a lot of the commands, so I'm biased for their positive use-cases. I use Vim everywhere I can get it– a lot in the browser.

It's fine. Most of the cargo-culters using vim with powerline, nerdtree and the fotm completion plugin should use Oni instead of crying on #vim every time their setup the copied from a blog post breaks.

>But if you're editing files specific to the server, like config files, it's at least nice to know some basic vi/vim commands.
Yes, that is what vim is for. Not to have a bloated config file to make it do abomination like things to make it a capable real IDE

I like it since it “just works”. It’s installed on most Unix-based devices and it’s fast. My vimrc is just two lines to set the tab length to 4 and to disable the constant beeping.
(Also I find gvim-athena to look nice, pic related is not mine and is having some font problems but it gets the point across)

Attached: TSc0h.png (564x235, 14K)

is oni that good? is it "stable" or still in alpha?

Once you get the hang of it, you can write blazing fast.

>atom

hahahaha

>I use emacs, which might be thought of as a thermonuclear word processor.
>t. Neal Stephenson

Explain why people put such pointless stickers on their computers.

You can't edit word files very good with emacs.

:help beep

>If you are a professional writer – i.e., if someone else is getting paid to worry about how your words are formatted and printed – emacs outshines all other editing software in approximately the same way that the noonday sun does the stars. It is not just bigger and brighter; it simply makes everything else vanish.
>t. Neal Stephenson

less /usr/share/vim/vim74/vimrc_example.vim

>unironically using vim

Attached: 1536520913111.jpg (862x1296, 207K)

From man evim;

Attached: CopyQ.Hf8852.png (807x130, 14K)

t. brainlet

>Yes, that is what vim is for. Not to have a bloated config file to make it do abomination like things to make it a capable real IDE

I 100% agree. Vim was not meant to be an IDE. I think it's an effort in procrastination. Many people don't know what to create, so they create their development environment. Well, with an IDE, that's already set-up for you. Can't do anything but WORK there. So they go to vim, which they have heard is what "real" programmers use. They then spend all their time trying to configure VIM into the IDE they had at the beginning. It's madness. I'm only saying this as a warning, because I almost fell into that trap as well. They're all TOOLS at the end of the day, and no one cares what tool you used as long as problems are solved and the job is done. From a customer or employer's perspective, you could've used Nano and as long as it solved their problem, they're FINE.

>wasting hours ricing and bloating vim

I use no plugins, vim has perfect defaults out of the box except the tabs as indents which can be changed with like 2 lines of vimrc, and it uses my terminal font which is already my favorite font for code. basically no time wasted setting it up unlike some crappy ide where I'd have to install vim keybinds, somehow get my bitmap pixel font to work and not be blurred and somehow have a terminal that I can easily switch to, and disable all the linting and autocomplete crap annoying me and wasting cpu

if I wasn't so used to vim's block selection I'd probably be fine with a smaller vi clone, like neatvi or any shell's builtin vi

Attached: 395121a9ca4432360b496d0b34888c7ffad8a882dc64693604719cb1e6a11b93.gif (640x636, 302K)

I remotely edit files with a locally running emacs instance.

Why run the editor on the server when you can run it on your laptop?

vim is fucking retarded and it's mostly used by students.
in the real world use a proper iDE and stop wasting you teammates time

also, if you need to write all your code on a remote terminal you're definitely doing it wrong.

vim = noob coder

congratulations on using vim how its supposed to be used.

Attached: Girl Scout Junior Cyber Scout Badge Uniform Patch.jpg (1000x994, 219K)

>Use Atom
Atom, the text editor that had a cross site scripting exploit for remote code execution due to its heavy reliance on js.

Attached: 082e105e4424f795157fdcc56b7980d6.jpg (700x700, 64K)

emacs > Vim > nano

I just vim as a fast text editor. I think any twat who uses a thick text editor, sftp putting his config everywhere they go, is like those people who put chibi characters on their monitor

> atom, sublime, or vscode or any other moderm IDE
>modern IDE
>IDE
UMM... KID....

If I saw your computer at a cafe, I'd chuck it on the ground as hard as I could. You obviously weren't treating it very well

I use screen and vim out of the box and do fine.

If you have stickers on your laptop you don’t have any real friends.

Unwarranted self importance

As much as I hate atom, it's skype's fault there. I've had that happen with intellij, sublime, vim, emacs, and visual studio.

Basedboy numale coder btfo

stable versions are out. Its pretty great actually.

benefits over Vim? benefits over Atom/VSCode?

>benefits over Vim?
all the things Atom/VSCode have that vim doesn't.
>benefits over Atom/VSCode?
all the things vim has that they don't.

"Oni does what IDE-don't"

>not realizing vim keys are based.
Have fun using the mouse to navigate a text document, faggots.

will check it out. I am using Debian stable but there is a workaround for using the latest nvim (appImage) with Oni.

Found the toddler.

Did a test run because I was curious: You can edit any user file on a remote server but editing any file that requires elevated privileges and it throws a fit.

post your .vimrc
mine:
runtime! archlinux.vim
set number

I'm still pretty new to Linux, but I used Nano for months after I initially installed. Tried out Vim, and felt crippled at first, but I kept on using it for a month or so. After that, I had accidentally opened a file in Nano. It felt so slow compared to Vim. It was then that I understood why people use it.

How do you do this?

Attached: 1530632780057.png (669x627, 86K)

Writing documents with Latex/Markdown yields faster and betfer results when using an editor such as Vim.

This. Not to mention that most plugins actually do something Vim can do out of the box already, except it's just more "hidden".

>t. pajeet

This

Vim is shit yet I still use it because I've gotten used to shit...

However I don't recommend it to anyone and discourage them from using it

I would say it's actually worse for programmers and better for not programming tasks. Programmers don't need spell check or jumping between paragraphs. Vim is better for regular text/emails than as a code editor. For real programming use an IDE specific to your language.

:e scp://user@host//path/to/file

set number
set splitbelow
set splitright
set title
set nobackup
set nowritebackup
set noswapfile
set ignorecase
set incsearch
set hlsearch
set scrolloff=5
set showcmd
set wildmenu
set autochdir
set foldmethod=marker
set tabstop=4
set shiftwidth=4

" stop miss clicking shit
nmap Q

tnoremap

hi StatusLine ctermbg=white ctermfg=black
hi Search ctermfg=yellow ctermbg=NONE

hi Folded ctermbg=black ctermfg=white
hi FoldColumn ctermbg=black ctermfg=white

let g:ale_set_highlights = 1
let g:ale_sign_column_always = 1
let g:ale_change_sign_column_color = 1
let g:ale_sign_error = '>>'
let g:ale_sign_warning = '--'

hi ALESignColumnWithoutErrors ctermbg=NONE
hi ALESignColumnWithErrors ctermbg=NONE
hi ALEErrorSign ctermbg=NONE ctermfg=red
hi ALEWarningSign ctermbg=NONE ctermfg=yellow

filetype plugin indent on

packloadall
silent! helptags ALL

pls no bully about ale I'm learning new languages and it's helpful

Unironically this

Unironically, you should use VSCode on a desktop, Vim on a server.

Yep but I use emacs

My .vimrc is bare except for a setcolumn call and toggle and a spell check toggle.