What is the ideal way to collect movies, Jow Forums?

What is the ideal way to collect movies, Jow Forums?

>Anything and everything is available on DVD, cheap as dirt. Everyone owns a DVD player.

>Almost anything is available on Bluray but there are infamous releases that were and probably never will be fixed with re-release, wildly varies in pricing, sometimes as cheap as DVD but often more expensive. Everyone SHOULD own a bluray player by now, even if just from a modern gaming console

>Can count the 4K Ultra HD releases with two hands, only half of those are classics worth owning, it's all overpriced cause it's still in gimmick stage. Requires buying a new player to support the format, ~$200 for what feels like hardly any movies that support it

Attached: 23634634.png (372x768, 1.09M)

i'd say bluray since they are extremely resistant to damage.

Wtf does this have to do with Jow Forums? Go back to /tv/

betamax

/tv/ doesn't buy movies.

yes because anime is just as relevant to post on Jow Forums and storing information isn't

Rip DVD collection. Store DVD's in box in basement. Media library grows over time due to "torrents" of shows/films that either have no disc release or would be expensive to buy. Media library is stored on Freenas server and has Triple Redundant backups cause if shit happens I don't gotta re-rip/download it all. Sit back and enjoy my collection and worry about nothing.

Everyone threw DVD players out with CRT TVs.

there are already a lot of releases in 4k user

You mean VCRs

I did the torrenting/HDD backlog thing with anime cause buying physical anime is like Bluray on steroids cost-wise. It's definitely the cheapest way to amass a collection of movies and shows but there's a hole that's never filled with digital. It's a soulless collection.

720p yiffy rips for my chink android box on my SD 16:9 tv

>DVD
>not potato resolution even on HD ready plasmas

Laserdisc

Bluray was what 4K Ultra HD is now back then. Nobody threw out DVD players in droves when Bluray debuted, people gradually adapted over the course of a decade.

>what is a home server and htpc/streaming device

I have a library of 4tb of movies, music, and tv series on it, and I can find or buy tons more with impunity (admittedly it's mostly torrenting)

why would I store my data forever on a plastic disk that can be permanently rendered useless with an errant slip while I slide it into a disk reader? Why not stream my 4k movies over my wifi network from where they are safe and easily accessable?

I still buy dvds ,they are cheap and the quality is perfectly acceptable to me

I just stick with blu rays for now, i never buy new releases since they are crazy priced.
Most 4k blu rays are just upscales, so it's not even worth upgrading unless a company starts making new scans of old movies shot on film. 99% of shit in the last two decades was shot digital and will never get a true 4k release.

>hdd
>safe
yes

Attached: 1533643486179.jpg (855x885, 203K)

Fight me
>4 bay NAS with 6tb HDD drives; configured in Raid 10
>Purchase a 4k UHD cd for only movies and shows you truly enjoy

it's called RAID, dummy

>Most 4k blu rays are just upscales
This was true for the first year or so, but lately it's probably a solid 50% are true 4k.

>Most 4k blu rays are just upscales
UHD bluray also has better audio quality and HDR colors. So even if it's upscaled from a 2k master, the 4k UHD bluray will be higher quality than the 1080p bluray

A DVD/BD collection is just as soulless. As you grow older you'll only see your collection as an eyesore and a money pit that could have gone to better things.
Entertainment media has no inherent value and most of it is garbage anyway.

100% this, my mom dated a guy back in the mid 2000s, when he died I had to go through his entire DVD collection, and fully 30-40% of the DVDs weren't even opened. Just sitting there in their plastic wrappings. At a certain point it was just something he spent his money on because he always had been, every tuesday he'd go out and buy whatever latest DVDs came out that week. He wouldn't buy EVERY SINGLE release, but anything major or even remotely close to interesting to him and he'd buy it, throw it on the bookshelf (in alphabetical order by title), and then never watch it.

Just a money sink, ~7 years after his death and I have pretty much his entire collection digitized on the home server taking up very minimal physical space compared to the previous ~4 floor to ceiling bookcases full of DVDs.

I see no point in physical collections.

Blu-ray. There's not many classic releases coming to ultra hd.

Attached: 71SUngTYeLL._SX466_.jpg (466x599, 45K)

I would say bluray should be seen as the baseline but i'd get the UHD copy if it is available. As has been pointed out, UHD has better audio, and HDR colors. Even if it's not 4k resolution, that's not something you will get with the bluray copy.

No reason to bother with DVDs in 2018.

I used to compulsively buy DVDs like an autistic, plus I still have a chunk of movies I got as a kid. My collection isn't massive but for a poorfag in a tiny apartment it's too much, and I can't seem to get rid of it. I did gud ripping some rare DVDs that weren't on the internet but thats all that came out of it.

>UHD has better audio
I doubt that. I've seen those regular BDs that come alongside 4K versions have that same damn Atmos/DTS:X nonsense.

Not true, Thor ragnarok for example.

Bluray:
>DTS-HD MA

UHD bluray:
>TrueHD Atmos 7.1

The Atmos being an object based audio stream means it can be scaled MUCH better than the DTS-HD audio, which is an older standard.

Attached: 2018-09-09 18_27_24.png (1816x301, 35K)

>plasmas
there are no 4k plasma displays, you are old

DRM-free 4K downloads.

>i recently watched a dvd, and oh boy, quality seems to worse than 2mbps h264 streams

>it's called RAID, dummy

Attached: 1499975284734.jpg (182x278, 8K)

Laserdisc.
If it isn't on LaserDisc, it's most likely trash. There are exceptios to this rule, in which case blurays are fine.
Fuck DVDs, however. Unskippable ads, video quality is a Russian roulette, slow as shit gimmicky menus, multichannel audio is compressed as fuck, even the best have compression artifacts.