How to install Arch Linux

I read the whole arch wiki yesterday and this is what i learned.

1. ping archlinux.org (Connect to the Internet)
2. # timedatectl set-ntp true (Update the system clock)
3. Partition the disks (i'm still confused with this)
4. Format the partitions with appropriate file systems
5. Mount the file system on the root partition to /mnt
6. Select the mirrors (/etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist)
7. # pacstrap /mnt base
8. # genfstab -U /mnt >> /mnt/etc/fstab (Fstab)
9. # arch-chroot /mnt (Chroot)
10. Time zone
# ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/Region/City /etc/localtime

# hwclock --systohc

11. Localization

Uncomment en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8 and other needed locales in /etc/locale.gen, and generate them with: # locale-gen

12. Create the hostname file
13. # mkinitcpio -p linux ( Initramfs)

14. Set the root password: # passwd
15. install grub bootloader (i don't get either)
16. Exit the chroot environment by typing exit or pressing Ctrl+D.
17. Reboot

is that how arch linux is installed?

Attached: 1534384027573.png (1920x1080, 2.38M)

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/5uwebwyg
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#Installation
gentoo.org/main/en/mirrors.xml
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

install gentoo

Install gentoo if you like USE flags and removing bloat from the kernel i guess
that's all gentoo is good for

>shitposting memes get serious replies
nu/g/

im literally screeching nu as we speak
it's a cool word
i hope i don't get kicked out

Partitioning is easy, just use LVM.

I never heard of LVM until yesterday

Fuck you

Good find on the pic at least, OP.
Love this desktop, great fucking song too.

Better Arch process, much simpler:

1. install Arch on bootable usb
2. delete it and install kubuntu on bootable usb
3. install kubuntu on your machine
4. enjoy an aesthetic computation experience that allows you to get work done and doesn't get in your way with rolling release nonsense.

actually, rolling release does a better job of staying out of your way than point release distros.

the problem is, arch is a lazily engineered, bloated piece of shit meme os.

*KDE Neon

>3. Partition the disks (i'm still confused with this)
Use cfdisk for graphical-ish interface, much easier
>15. install grub bootloader (i don't get either)
pacman -S grub
grub-install --target=i386-pc /dev/sd?
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
I'm assuming that you don't need dualboot or uefi, if you do it's different

1. boot a live disk
2. read the instruction file included in the live environment

show me the wiki page where it shows these commands
i hate how arch hides this shit in hyper links

>i386-pc
that's 32 bit
i have 64 bit, why does the command look retarded

I'm not your employee, look it up

I wonder how many people think they installed arch correctly but in actuality they missed some steps

Yeah, i really like this desktop. One of my favorites

command doesn't matter, its the same no matter what x86 cpu you have

there isn't even a 32bit arch install anymore

here, this is a simple install guide I wrote up because the wiki is poorly formatted.
This gives you a full disk encryption and has instructions for both UEFI and BIOS.
You're on your own for the rest of the system though
pastebin pastebin.com/5uwebwyg

Attached: archinstallrevised.jpg (646x3036, 688K)

Unrelated with your thread but, where did you get that desktop background?

you're just dumb.

the installation guide tells you you need to install a bootloader, and links you to a page listing your options. so you pick one. and then it describes *in detail* how to do it.
you're just incapable of fucking reading.

Cringe

and since you asked, wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#Installation

>doesn't get in your way with rolling release nonsense.
hmmm yes this makes sense
having to reinstall your OS isn't getting in your way

yea i already found it before
I forgot to delete the post
>you're just incapable of fucking reading.
more like im incapable clicking links 1000 times for every little info

>actually, rolling release does a better job of staying out of your way than point release distros.
lol

>here, this is a simple install guide I wrote up
>this is a simple install guide
how delusional are you?

>there isn't even a 32bit arch install anymore
not officially

is it better now?

Attached: dick_cheneys_guide_to_installing_arch.png (900x3959, 2.38M)

double click on Arch.exe

Honestly, fuck arch.
The only real distros are debian and gentoo, everything else is shit.
fuck this gay ass thread.

i tried that but it just caused a box to appear and disappear really quickly

How to install Gentoo

I read the whole internet yesterday and this is what i learned.
fdisk /dev/sda && mkfs.xfs /dev/sda1 && mkswap /dev/sda2 && swapon /dev/sda2 && mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/gentoo/ && cd /mnt/gentoo/ && links gentoo.org/main/en/mirrors.xml && md5sum -c stage3-*.tar.bz2.DIGESTS && tar xvjpf stage3-*.tar.bz2 && links gentoo.org/main/en/mirrors.xml && md5sum -c portage-latest.tar.bz2.md5sum && tar xvjf /mnt/gentoo/portage-latest.tar.bz2 -C /mnt/gentoo/usr && nano -w /mnt/gentoo/etc/make.conf && mirrorselect -i -o >> /mnt/gentoo/etc/make.conf && mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc && mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev && chroot /mnt/gentoo bash -lc 'env-update && source /etc/profile && source /etc/profile && emerge --sync && cd /etc && rm /etc/make.profile && ln -s ../usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/desktop make.profile && cp /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Eastern /etc/localtime && cd /usr/portage && scripts/bootstrap.sh && emerge -e system && emerge vim && emerge gentoo-sources && cd /usr/src/linux && make menuconfig && make install modules_install && vim /etc/fstab && passwd && emerge grub vixie-cron syslog-ng dhcpcd && cp /boot/grub/grub.conf.sample /boot/grub/grub.conf && vim /boot/grub/grub.conf && grep -v rootfs /proc/mounts > /etc/mtab && grub-install --no-floppy /dev/sda && init 6 && emerge gnome mozilla-firefox openoffice && emerge --sync && emerge portage openssh

is that how gentoo is installed?

Attached: screenshot.png (2560x1440, 1.43M)

yes and no
Installing gentoo takes fucking forever if you don't have decent hardware. I waited over 12 hours for the profile to compile and near 6 hours for the kernel to compile. Installing arch takes maybe 45 minutes if you have decent internet and at least somewhat know what you're doing.

1. Download Manjaro ISO
2. Install

How the flying fuck do I install grub on a non-UEFI system?
The Arch wiki is just a mess.

Attached: 712041.jpg (567x633, 27K)

>six fucking hours for a kernel compile
What the hell are you using? A potato?

Its a 14 year old HP, Pentium4 HT and 2gb of ram. But I recently took all of my old/broken computers apart and put the ram from there in my main pc. Its now 6gb but I don't know if that would speed things up so much when I still have a trash cpu.

>installing Arch
>using Grub instead of systemd boot
Morons...

just install manjaro

Just be yourself and everything will work out in the end.

Attached: GNU_GRUB_components.svg.png (720x405, 37K)

1 install gentoo
2 contort your body
3 lick your own penis head
4 you have now installed arch

What a coincidence, today I dreamed about sucking my own dick and this was shortly after I installed Arch.

Bloat

muh gooey

Attached: 1513322985004.jpg (645x729, 49K)

>people can't figure out simple instructions
what the fuck happened

Windows 10 is so shit that microsoftoddlers are migrating to linux.

Just try to install it OP.
You will fuck it up. Take this as a fact. But still, you will learn in the process. And then you will try again, and again until eventually you manage to have your computer running a fresh and working install of Arch Linux.
And even then you will try again to install.
There will come a moment when you will manage to install Arch without looking at any kind of tutorials or cheatsheets, just having the wiki open on your phone for the occasional peek.

Good luck.

Attached: 1536373499513.jpg (1148x917, 155K)

This
Installing Arch is an art.

Attached: 37519726334223.gif (300x225, 1.92M)

I like this post.

grub-install /dev/sdz
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Damn He read the whole arch wiki, impressive

is this sarcastic

>imagine going through all these steps to install your operating system

Just installed elementary OS. Took like 5 minutes to install, then two commands to fully update it. Sure, more commands to get the software I want but IT JUST WERKS

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-09-10 00-17-35.png (2560x1440, 687K)

>imagine being a cuck and letting a program install an OS for you

look kid, if you want it done right you have to do it yourself

>implying you are not using programs to install arch

>muh unix philosophy, do one thing do it well!

>pacman -S systemd

S A V A G E

I haven't used a systemd os in a while so I am not insulted. But why do you oppose manual installs so much?

lol stfu basedboy

like i said, every single distro is fucking shit expect for debian and gentoo

i used to send him emails during livestreams
sent him about like 40 something emails in total, he would literally click on any link. after viewing it, he would delete it.
i even asked him what a random number was
he freaked out and it made me laugh hard.

sigh, damn, it's weird that he is dead

Better yet, just use Manjaro

my first distro was manjaro, it was okay but i realized later on it's really really really really fucking shit

the only reason i used it is cause of the stupid retarded distrowatch ranking shit.
fuck distrowatch, stay away from that shit

whats wrong with manharo?

If you think there is nothing wrong, you haven't used gnu/linux long enough or you are too retarded and need to go back to wangblows

Not an argument.

but I've never used it. I was asking you why it's shit.

GRUB is useless bloat. All you really need is
1. mount /dev/sda1 (formatted as fat32 with ESP flag) /boot
2. pacman -S linux
3. efibootmgr --disk /dev/sdX --part Y --create --label "Arch Linux" --loader /vmlinuz-linux --unicode 'root=PARTUUID=XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX rw initrd=\initramfs-linux.img' --verbose
bruh from that century is that ancient shit

Fagt

Attached: Hokk8sK.jpg (2170x1070, 515K)

>--unicode 'root=PARTUUID=XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX
Ain't nobody got that for that shit

Attached: 979819590855846729.jpg (640x640, 32K)

OP just install Linux from Scratch.
I'm being 100% unironic here, Arch just has enough abstraction layers to confuse you and spit on you under the pretense of "learning". The Arch install isn't even that hard, it's just partitioning a disk, mounting it then copying the pacstrap and installing a boot manager. But I guarantee you will learn much more with LFS. Unironically, installing Gentoo is harder than LFS because of the abstraction and simplification it provides for a first time user.
Just install LFS and a package manager (I recommend dpkg), trust me OP, you won't regret it once you get it up and running.

Attached: 1435081656057.png (266x398, 64K)

Use wifi-menu if using wifi.

>1. ping archlinux.org (Connect to the Internet)
Just install Manjaro you retard holy shit.

so this is the power of the arch wiki every cocksucker and their mom praises
this

Attached: 1460266673703.jpg (400x400, 18K)

I'll translate "install gentoo" for you
>Fix it yourself, learn how your system works, use search engine

I tried to install LFS using the official guide but my brain stopped working after I couldn't compile some math librairies. Is there any hope for me or should I just kill myself myself?

RTFM. If you follow everything step by step there shouldn't be any reason to fail. There's actual care taken into making the book readable, comprehensible, and linear, unlike the many Distro Wiki's there are.

see

>15. install grub bootloader
I'd look into alternatives. I ended up using rEFInd (or EFISTUB if it's the only OS on the machine) for reasons I'm now not too sure of but it may have had something to do with UEFI. Either way, my point is you have options and maybe I was just autistic when I picked my bootloader, but on the other hand maybe I had a legitimate reason, I can't remember.

I think you got the gist of it though. The only thing is you have a lot more setup to do after the steps you posted - firewall, network, hardware (e.g. drivers for when you close your laptop lid, drivers to control your keyboard backlight, etc.), an Xorg server and window manager and desktop of your choice, etc. Have fun!

Bump

The Arch wiki is an abhorrent mess of articles. I hated installing arch the first few times I did it because navigating the wiki was the hardest part. Gentoo has a solid installation guide that made it super easy to install. Although they could have been more clear on things related to setting it up for a mbr boot, as I'm sure not everyone in the world has got a efi system.

I really want to try linux from scratch but the whole compiling everything, same as gentoo, really makes it take forever and leaves me with nothing to do but wait while my computer works and I sit and watch.

I made this stupid chart.
Fuck arch

Attached: change.png (500x2000, 270K)

Nice job, I've had that picture downloaded since the first time I saw it.

>Minimalism isn't a lack of something, its just the perfect amount of something.

Why don't more people understand this?

Cause everyone is retarded sheep and universities create incompetent programmers and those incompetent programmers work for big IT corporations writing shit bloat code.

>genfstab

Attached: always an option.jpg (457x459, 122K)

Nuuuuuuuu

Attached: 1530577004077s.jpg (124x94, 2K)

For me its something different. I don't program for a living, and barely even write scripts as a hobby. I just have old hardware and equipment and want to make the absolute best out of it. Removing things I don't need/want and using more optimized programs and operating system is the best way to make my old computer seem less obsolete. It also really saves on drive space and I think everyone no matter how great of a computer they have, can care about that. But yet for some reason most people dont care about using something with functions they dont want or will never use, that requires other programs that they don't want or will never use.

I cant control the bloat code in programs that I use, but I can control what programs I use and I don't see the point in having something that I'd never use. Life isn't so grandiose that I require everything possible just to live it, so why do I need everything out there just to do some computing?

>I cant control the bloat code in programs that I use

What do you mean? Do you use bloated software?

I try my best not to use bloated software. But what I meant was I cant fix bloated software when I don't know how to program in any language.

>I cant fix bloated software when I don't know how to program in any language.
There are always nerds out there but, are you just not interested or don't have the motivation?

I'm learning C at the moment

I'm certainly interested but I'm not sure if I have the motivation. I know I wouldn't want to do it for a living but it would certainly make for a fun hobby. I'd be happy to learn almost any language. Particularly something like C or maybe an object orientated language like Haskell.

Any language and books for that language you would recommend?

>Any language and books for that language you would recommend?

I literally downloaded this yesterday. Download it on lib gen. Practice makes perfect i guess

Attached: upload_wikimedia_org_2018-09-10_14-51-58.png (793x1024, 105K)

Sure, but how many people actually have to learn that stuff?

pls paper

You seem too stupid for this. Pls install Antergos or Manjaro instead in order to avoid frustration.

Can anyone ID the font?