How bad is it to learn Python before C? I started to learn C and it's going well...

How bad is it to learn Python before C? I started to learn C and it's going well, but I'm thinking of learning Python first as it's more "marketable".

Attached: main-qimg-a1b88cb3f8232c96214d7d5b9d479ab8-c.jpg (300x350, 20K)

For what reason are you even learning a programming language to begin with?
Do you realize despite being general purpose languages, they have different applications?

I haven't made up my mind to be honest. I graduated with a math degree, but I'm looking to get into IT/Cybersecurity or Data Science.

Do you need to be selling your programming skills RIGHT THIS SECOND? If not, take your time with your studies so you can actually get to understand things better. Maybe read the source code to the Python interpreter so you can figure out how it works. Not because you need to know it for a job, but because it'll help you understand what you are doing, and why you are doing it when you need to perform optimizations. Or hell, just because it's fun.

Fuck, if you don't find programming FUN don't do it at all.

If you're not just shitposting ask this in the daily programming thread.

>Cybersecurity
You should start by learning about DBs, cryptography, networks.
>Data Science
IF that's all you want to do, Python would actually be ok as your only known programming language.

what a terrible image, why would you want to perform arithmetic? just
_ = a
a = b
b = _

I don't know programming... so just so I understand, does b only get evaluated and saved to memory (or whatever) at the second line such that it wouldn't try to evaluate b = a - b as b = (a - b) - b?

int a = 5;
int b = 10;

a = a + b;

a = 5 + 10
a = 15
b = a - b;

b = 15 - 10
b = 5
a = a - b;

a = 15 - 5
a = 10

It's ok. I've learned python first and it helped me a lot.

Let's say a1 = a+b. Then b1 = a1-b = a+b-b = a.
There you've got a where b is located. Finally, a2 = a1-b1 = a+b-a = b.

But in C, since arithmetics is tricky due to overflow, you'd rather use XOR instead, similarily:
a ^= b; b ^= a; a ^= b;

Pretty cool. Will use in the future.

Attached: 06df3f-20180716-abba-in-the-1970s-04.jpg (2000x1391, 302K)

Thank you.
My question would be about the hypothetical b2 = a2 - b1 = a1-b1-b1 = a+b - 2*(a) = -a+b
I understand math, not programming.
Poor choice of initial variables which would hide what I was concerned about.

>cyber security
Python and C are fine. You may also want to look into learning: Ruby, Javascript, Java, C++, Haskell, and Assembly. Entry level programming languages are usually Python, Ruby, JS, and Java. C, C++, Haskell, and Assembly are a bit more advanced.

> Data Science
Python

> IT/Cybersecurity
C, Python, Rust (is going to be relevant in field soon since more and more starting to use it related topics)

But generally you want to use a Language you are comfortable with and love since this could be the bread winner for the most part of your life.

Attached: 1533620368338.png (242x235, 16K)

Just push a onto the stack, set a = b, then pull the stack into b

As a math major, you're probably in a good position to get into data science. Most CS majors will be pretty shit at math compared to you. Python and R are the main languages for that sort of thing. Look into Machine Learning

Learn java so you understand strong typing

Attached: abbasillklassisk.jpg (1358x1338, 411K)

I hope you don't have a CS degree

It's not awful, but it might set you back later, depends on how easy it is for you to change mindset or something, I can't think of the right word

>not doing
a ^= b, b ^= a, a ^= b;

Enjoy your (potential) signed overflow.

JS:
[a, b] = [b, a];

>Using signed numbers ever
kek

I hope you're only a year in

Learn Lua and C together.

Learn Perl instead of python.

look at the problem again

the compiler/interpreter is going to generate the exact same overhead for the tuple swap, so it's a pointless exercise

No the tuple swap is better.

how else can you swap negative numbers?

cringe and bluepilled

based and redpilled