/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.
*Many free software projects have an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: logicmag.io.jpg (1500x1786, 792K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html
logicmag.io/05-freedom-isnt-free/
cyberunions.org/
techworkerscoalition.org/
archlinux32.org/
pastebin.com/5uwebwyg
gitgud.io/qwe/qwe
aur.archlinux.org/$1.git
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Install GuixSD

install Dragonfly OS.

Free software philosophy:
gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html
logicmag.io/05-freedom-isnt-free/

Unite:
cyberunions.org/
techworkerscoalition.org/

Attached: TUXGUEVARA.jpg (379x400, 21K)

>*BSD
>Friendly GNU/*LINUX* thread

dat hammer filesystem tho

Attached: 1458862929453.jpg (400x400, 31K)

GNUL and BSD descended from the same UNIX. There's no reason to exclude it.

I'm enjoying arch despite what I think about systemD(ick)

I got a bluetooth headphone recently, how can I connect it to my linux? I'm using i3.

install blueman

Emerging (1 of 288)
Let's-a go.
Bets on how long this will take?

Already installed, now what?

What distro should I install? Other than shit like puppy. And no >install gentoo

Attached: cvxxiq.png (1024x600, 200K)

Use genlop and get an estimate.

OpenSUSE Tumbleweed
Very windows baby-friendly.

lxqt

Gentoo would be great in that machine.

No it would not, fuck off.
Just compiling firefox would take him atleast a day.
This "gentoo for toasters" shit is the absolute worst advice here.

I'm not a Windows babby, my dude. It's just what came on this machine. Can't decide what to install on it. OpenSUSE might be a little too heavy for it. It's a 10" netbook from like 2004.

>It's a 10" netbook from like 2004.
arch with openbox/xfce then

So i was recovering files for my friend a couple of days ago and i recovered about 50gb worth of stuff.

anyways, i look at htop and i see a weird process called udisksd, i never seen it before. What is this and do i need it?

I see you got mad, but Gentoo is absolutely great for older machines.

>but Gentoo is absolutely great for older machines.
if you have another machine to do actual work on while you wait 16 hours to compile something, sure.

read the manual?

Need a Windows baby distro for testing out some games with Proton and whatever's the best solution for Nvidia drivers for some testing.

This. Pretty much the reason why I said no gentoo was because I've installed gentoo on a similar machine and it was absolutely unusable for the first two or three days while everything compiled. After that, it ran great, but the setup time was unreasonable.

>what is cross-compiling
Reminder that there are documented cases of successfully running gentoo on a 486

A pain in the fucking ass.
That's why Arch will always be superior to Gentoo.

With cross-compiling, i had gentoo running on my openmoko freerunner neo, but that doesn't make it a good idea.

Fine, then just use a binary overlay if you hate compiling so much. Gentoo is a metadistribution. Somebody probably already compiled what you need for the arch you need. CloverOS's overlays are a good start for example

At which point you lose pretty much the only benefit of running gentoo on such old hardware: running packages compiled specifically for that machine. Might as well use Arch at that point.

You can configure and compile your own kernel as well as recompile any performance-sensitive packages. So you don't have to wait for fucking everything to bootstrap, and you don't need to recompile every single piece of shit that gets pulled in as a dependency of a dependency for something you'll never use, but you still get properly optimised packages for the main stuff.
For example, I'm installing KDE right now, and it will literally make zero difference to my future performance having rust+cargo and llvm+clang installed from source. They're dependencies for some bullshit and I'm not actually going to use clang to compile anything and I certainly don't plan on using rust. But the main qt libraries and KDE stuff will get properly optimised.

>installing kde
>using a DE
>USING GENTOO
you are doing it so wrong
people like you, i never understand

In either my .bashrc or my .bash_aliases I put thisalias bards='cd .wine/drive_c/GOG\ Games/The\ Bard\'s\ Tale\ Trilogy/ && wine TheBardsTaleTrilogy.exe'

And then I get the following error:
bash: /home/x/.bash_aliases: line 2: syntax error: unexpected end of file

What is wrong with my custom alias?

Debian with Xfce or LXDE. Arch won't run on it because it's a 32bits processor.

Attached: 1526485436482.png (300x2020, 503K)

*bootstraps your path*
archlinux32.org/

GnuTLS vs OpenSSL?

I don't remember for certain but I think ' ' strings disable backslash escape sequences, so your \' actually ends the string, and then your final ' opens a new string and then the file ends in the middle of a string and that's unexpected. Try quoting your alias with " ".

This.
>tfw waiting on deluge, thunderbird/icedove, and several other things to be packaged
I'm hoping the distro will get popular on Jow Forums eventually and people will package more stuff. I have the page for writing package recipes bookmarked, but haven't gotten around to figuring it out yet.

" "'s worked. Thanks user

>using a broken OS

Firefox Quantum available on Debian stable right NOW!

Hello linux friends. First timer here trying to install linux onto an old acer aspire 5520-5112 laptop running vista. I have tried 3 flavours of X86 linux (ubuntu, mate and mint) and they all shoot this error at me.

Attached: IMG_20180909_174117117_HDR.jpg (916x687, 123K)

then when they do boot into the live CD the display gets all fucked up and I can't do anything.
Reeeeeee!

Attached: IMG_20180909_174225310.jpg (859x644, 81K)

You've got a hardware error, fix your CPU

It's just a amd turon 64X2 1.9GHz CPU. WTF am I supposed to do to fix it? It's running pic related with no issues.

Attached: download.jpg (113x160, 4K)

This is the third time this has happened with 4.19rc2.

WHAT DO THEY MEAN BY THIS?

Attached: IMG_20180910_034052-what.jpg (3200x2316, 2.52M)

The second time it happened. What is going on? Why would they do this?

Attached: IMG_20180909_150828-confuse.jpg (2703x2718, 2.96M)

I recommend you install blueberry and use blueberry-tray to manage it.

I'm trying to GPU decoding enabled in mpv.
But when I actually have --vo=gpu in the file mpv will not open.

Attached: 1529934309676.png (652x410, 22K)

I've already made several packages myself, and even got one of them submitted officially.
It's really not that hard (especially if you have some experience programming scheme, or guile specifically). The easiest route is to just go over to the Nix packages page, and just do a (practically) 1:1 translation from the nix code to guix.

remove the dashes

$ cat .config/mpv/mpv.conf
profile=gpu-hq
scale=ewa_lanczossharp
cscale=ewa_lanczossharp
video-sync=display-resample
interpolation
tscale=oversample

what's in 4.19 that is so important to you?

It probably means that random 3rd party patch sets of a RC kernel are not necessarily tested and stable.

You either have the skills to diagnose and fix this or you just try another kernel. If you want the frequency of instability to lessen, how about a -stable kernel?

Huh. Thank you, but question.
Why do they have the dashes on the wiki then?

It's for when you're running the program and giving it command line options.

mpv --vo=gpu

is the same thing as having

profile=gpu

in the config file

not sure if vo and profile are exactly the same thing but you get the picture

it's new. I must have the technology

also, amdgpu seems to move pretty fast and old kernels ain't good with the 2400G but it really was "just in case" I want to do some stuff on that box, it mostly sits in the corner 24/7 running server-type stuff.

The box has 4 realtek nics and one intel nics with two nics running a bond and that and the rest except one upstream in bridge. perhaps they did something related to all that which plays out badly. not sure. the picture of the screen doesn't indicate all that much but I do see the rtl8169_poll in there.

I was hoping someone here was skilled enough to tell me what is going on

I'm going to see how 4.17.19 plays out on this system. The exact same setup in regards to NICs and HDDs and so on sat there peacefully working with 4.17.x and earlier kernels for ages on a AM3 A8-7600 APU with 16 GB RAM. Hopefully it will work

I touched up my arch install guide a bit
tell me what you think anons
Also before you say it, yes I'm an expert with GIMP

This gives you a full disk encryption and has instructions for both UEFI and BIOS.
You're on your own for the rest of the system though
pastebin pastebin.com/5uwebwyg

Attached: dick_cheneys_guide_to_installing_arch.png (900x3959, 2.38M)

not him but that's a good config for a lower end computer?
Like an X60 for example

I strongly recommend not (ab)using
scale=ewa_lanczossharp
cscale=ewa_lanczossharp
on a RX 560 GPU this makes playing 30fps 4k video on a 1440p monitor jerky and horrible because the GPU goes at 100% and can't handle it. Further, these filters put load on the GPU when playing in lower resolutions too which makes the fan spin up and make noise. the scale/cscale settings in profile=gpu-hq are less demanding but still somewhat demanding but not that bad. I guess if you have the Vega64 and absolutely want it to be in heavy use when playing some anime video then fine, use that.

>that's a good config for a lower end computer?
absolutely NOT

if it's the intel low end computer running gnu/linux then I recommend this and nothing more

vo=vaapi
video-sync=display-resample
hwdec=vaapi
ytdl-format=bestvideo[height

thanks user

Some user was looking for an image viewer that is as simple as sxiv, but also support folder view (loading other images from the base folder of the current file).
Here's what I've done so far. gitgud.io/qwe/qwe
It's not perfect, but it's usable for the most part.

>What is a README.md

got any screenshots?

Cheers for this

>using an (((AUR helper)))
ishygddt

Try
man qwe
the name is a placeholer, I couldn't come up with anything
Aside from the loaded image, it doesn't have any ui elements.

Im not going to install it just so i can read a quick summary on the package. Write a quick README.md you lazy roodypoo

this
just put the manpage into the readme

how it any different than download a ports tree?

lmao what the fuck
I need some sleep
I meant to type, how is using an AUR helper any different than using a ports tree, which is a popular and accepted way of installing software these days.

why don't you just write a script that does this
cd /tmp
git clone aur.archlinux.org/$1.git
cd $1
makepkg -si

isn't that what an AUR helping is, basically?
Plus they let you search from the terminal too

I DID IT
I installed gentoo from scratch
I had so many problems like not setting up the partitions properly and using vfat instead of ext3 since you need exfat to have UEFI and reinstalling the thing from the start since i fucked it up. And also earning to add some GCC tag to speed up installing packages and also changing the server since i was actually downloading half way across the world and also how i had to configure some parts of the kernel since gen kernel didn’t configure all of my hardware honestly fuck that shit and also how setting up wpa_supplicant didn’t work until I found out my wifi card had to be enabled and how i actually had to restart from scratch a second time because i accidentally emerged most of the stuff in the live-cd because i am an idiot and i forgot to mount and chroot into it
Im now nstalling kde plasma desktop
Someone please pat my head

it is what cower does
but cower can query for updates so that's nice. run a systemd-timer to list new aur updates in the motd.

lmao my fucking hdmi cord wasn't plugged in right. and to think i just spent two days fucking with software. just kill me now senpai.

>installing gentoo when you don't know how to partition a disk
dear god I bet that was a long journey

Yeah took me 2 days because I’m retarded was pretty fun tho

This
Kudos to you! Since you're diving in head first you may as well install and configure i3, urxvt, polybar, ranger, mpv, mpd with ncmpcpp, feh, and htop instead of KDE. That's the basic bitch Jow Forumsentooman setup

>Jow Forumsshit instead of KDE
this

>dwm and st instead of i3 and urxvt
fix'd

while the suckless philosophy is nice, the fact that the patches never get updated makes the software more or less unusable.

Oh ok might as well

I only started using KDE recently. It's okay.
But I find it annoying that file browsers for things like open a file and the like do not seem to have an 'image preview' in the classical sense. Is there a way to turn that on?

Attached: Everything will be daijobu.png (500x303, 93K)

Why does Gimp has the 3 windows mode by default? It's a very confusing clusterfuck when the single window mode is much more natural

Because its a deprecated piece of shit that should be deleted from existance.

Bunsenlabs. It ran great in a similar machine (same CPU, 1gm of ram).

Do I want debian/centos for stability
devuan to avoid systemdicks
or manjaro for cutting edge with less autism than arch and gentoo
?

got puppylinux to boot without the cpu error but still the double screens. REEEEEEEEEEEE

Attached: megastuf.jpg (300x195, 21K)

Skip the time wasters and install deborah ian
Fourteen years and loonix still doesn't have this meme
Photoshop Wine

i have bad feelings about this question but i will ask it here anyway
i'm now sitting on win 10 cause 7 is no go on 2200G
i want to replace win 10 with some non autistic linux for internet browsing working with pictures and some blender
i am thinking about linux mint as my first ever, opinions ?
also what is the most secure non autistic linux distro ?
and lastly is mint telemetry big ?

i'm running arch on a B350/2200G, everything works fine (haven't tested integrated graphics yet, though)
i've heard that older kernels might not support some stuff, so you might need to use a newer kernel than what ships with mint, they tend to use LTS releases (up to date security/bug-wise, not so much feature and hardware support-wise)

I installed mint for the same reasons. It's very noob friendly and it just werks out of the box. I have no idea how secure it is though.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-08-24 20-33-41.png (1366x768, 1.11M)

Windows 7 would probably work if you put a little more effort in. Mint is fine for newbies. There is no telemetry, it's all opt-in. And security is fine, about as good as any other big distro. There have been some security issues in the past but it's fine now. If you're more concerned about that, maybe Ubuntu with Cinnamon or something would be a better choice. But honestly you probably have nothing to worry about, coming from Windows.

>Windows 7 would probably work if you put a little more effort in.
not him, but i tried
got as far as an ACPI-related BSOD. they really don't want you running windows 7

thanks anons i'll use some old HDD do mess with Mint before i'll move onto it
>Windows 7 would probably work
this very OS does NOT work with AMD Bristol ridge APU's on desktop
strangely it works with mobile apoos
that's why i am looking for windows 7 like, secure linux for non gayming stuff
this

Any good way to do /gd/ work on a Linux machine?

Based Refrecta In The House!

Attached: xp.png (831x377, 590K)

KDE has file thumbnails by default for file pickers, if that's what you're asking. If you mean you want a preview pane on the right, I believe that's possible in both Dolphin and a file picker as well. Keep in mind that if you're using Firefox without the opensuse patches, it will use GTK instead of Qt, and therefore you will lose the benefits of a Qt file picker

bump i also wanna know, but i wanna do /stn/ work on a linux machine