LaTeX encourages authors not to worry too much about the appearance of their documents but to concentrate on getting...

>LaTeX encourages authors not to worry too much about the appearance of their documents but to concentrate on getting the right content.
>latex-project.org/about/

This would have to rate among the biggest bullshit I've ever heard in my life.

Attached: latex.png (358x148, 29K)

what don't you understand about that statement?
latex is about writing documents, not designing them

Imagine being this mentally challenged...

I just had to spend a day figuring out how to align 6 figures properly on a two-column document.

Latex is absolute shit and a nightmare to work with. You spend more time adjusting your document to get it to look properly than you do focusing on the content, compared to a WYSIWYG editor.

If wherever you're writing already has a comprehensice template for writing articles/reports, then you really are just writing content. Feels goddamn great.
But if it doesn't or you need to do something just a little outside of what was planned, then oh boy will you spend hours on that "little" macro or configuration.

latex = SHIT
markdown + pandoc is better, much simpler and nicer to use

I'll just stick with notepad thanks

Sounds like you're trying to focus on the design of the document rather than the content.

That's because the way LaTeX designs it is shit.

>Shit Opinions R' Us

yeah I've spent a lot of time in latex getting formatting just right and digging through stackoverflow and all that, hours and hours for some simple thing

Dude wtf are you talking about. The output from Latex for the figures isn't what I want and I have to adjust it, what's so hard to understand?

Latex makes you waste much more time on presentation than a regular word processor. If you don't understand the sarcastic humor in OP's quote, replace latex with notepad.exe and it becomes even more true. You wouldn't have to care about the appearance of your documents at all!!

>Sounds like you're trying to focus on the design of the document rather than the content.

if you want to craft your own reusable framework for your documents then latex is great

otherwise you're just wasting time

Latex is a meme.

since I use LaTeX, writing and editing documents become way easier. fuck open office and all that shit.

>use IEEE double column template
>table a bit too wide
>figures start flying all over the place
>weird chunks of white space
>spend half hour forcing placement and inserting negative spacing

Attached: 1511138016218.png (480x445, 96K)

>use IEEE double column template

kek this is exactly what I had to deal with.

LaTeX >>> OpenOffice
But MS Word >>>>>>>>> LaTeX

Just use to LyX and shut up.
Best document editor I've ever used, and a must if you need to use heavy math in your docs.

if you couldn't figure out how to do this in 5 minutes of googling you're actually retarded.

Math is the easiest part of LaTeX, it's the formatting and figure spacing that is headache.

Good suggestion but LyX wouldn't open the IEEE template document

Show me, smart guy

It had more to do with 1. there were 2 columns and 2. I didn't want them as subfigures of a figure

LibreOffice*

Oh yeah, the neckbeard version of OpenOffice, probably slightly worse than OO due to the fact that neckies just want to implement "this cool little neat feature" all the time instead of making an actual usable piece of software.

Hi, OP! I'd like to try and help. I'm a normie myself, and I've actually published a neuroscience paper using LaTeX! I'm currently working on a second, too. Maybe I can help with your figures? Mind posting pictures of your script and the compiled document along with a detailed description of what you want done?

Sorry, LaTeX is not designed to be operated by brainlets.

Nah, just the actively maintained version the has almost reached feature parity with Microsoft Office.

>has almost reached feature parity with Microsoft Office
I fucking dare you to try using it in an actual productive environment, i.e. an office. I know you won't, you're just a NEET LARPing about free-and-pure-shit-software.

the design matters too you absolute mongrel
तुम कैसे हो?

Nor is it designed for anything else for that matter. Just a pile of trash code that has no use beyond keeping tuorboautits occupied. But we have fidget sinners now...

OpenOffice it's literally abandoned

>latest commit is 9 minutes old
the releases are really sparse, but it's still being worked on
not entirely sure why they'd work on OO instead of LO at this point, though

Just use asciidoctor and or asciidoctor-pdf.

It is so much easier to use than latex

They get paid to do it by The Apache Foundation

IDK bro I really haven't had any big issues.

sure, but why does the apache foundation work on OO instead of LO?

>tuorboautits
>fidget sinners
Yeah, I can see why something as simple as LaTeX is beyond you.

\begin{@twocolumnfalse}
Stuff
\end{@twocolumnfalse}

For shorter documents, yes, it is. But for something longer, that requires more precise formatting, Latex is still the king.

Good job not falling for any autismo-targeted bait.
Oh wait.

While I primarily use LaTeX nowadays (I'm working on a Computational Neuroscience PhD, publishing in journals), LibreOffice worked excellently for me back in Uni. What do you need that LibreOffice lacks?

Use Texmaker

No it's objectively not

this is probably it. If you are a dumb idiot forget it, be a microshit slave.

I bet you have never written a large document with a table of contents, references and sections.

I have been using (La)TeX since I am 14 and got it after one week of using it. You are just unintelligent mongrels. Its so fucking simple, it is perfect for simple graphics, perfect for literally everything. Just get a good editor and tag-completion
Like vim + snippetmaster

Interesting, so this is what trying to use software while brainlet looks like.

The way Latex places my figures by default which isn't how I want them isn't shit? You're a fucking retard.

>I have been using (La)TeX since I am 14 and got it after one week of using it.

LaTeX is easy to learn for basic shit. Using it to do anything more complicated that takes 5 minutes to do in Word is where it breaks down and takes you days to figure out wtf to do. GTFO kid.

>so this is what trying to use software while brainlet looks like

If you wanted to see an example of that you could have just used you and your web browser.

See:

Hey thanks for the offer but I'd already figured it out.

I have used latex for everything from high school rock concert flyers to published articles and master theses. Spoiler: It sucks for everything compared to any modern (post-2010) version of ms office. As you said yourself, it's alright for fucking simple stuff. Wholly inadequate for anything serious. Truly one of the worst case of from-over-function software.

Latex is only better if you are 120iq+.
Dumbfucks are too lazy to read the documentation and too dumb to write macros themselves.
So they end up using in a way similar to current web programming - copypasting shit from stackoverflow without understanding.
And of course it sucks, because it was never designed to be used like that.
Latex gives you complete control, if you don't need it, just use dumb shit like office, which was designed on the assumption that user is incompetent.

>I'm smarter because I waste more time using a difficult program to do my work in!

Attached: brainlettttt.jpg (800x450, 41K)

Keyword there is "authors". In you're acting as both author and designer. With semantic markup these two roles can be easily separated, while in traditional authoring the best you can do is give writers a style guide or template and hope they don't deviate too much.

Unfortunately I think this isn't emphasised enough in LaTeX, solutions often encourage putting hacks directly in to the source document instead of creating a modified template and (re)defining common macros.

I agree, sort of. If you *need* to worry about your documents appearance, a WYSIWYG office program will be better in the short term.

But for some industries, the appearance is clearly secondary to the actual information, and in that case, *roff, LaTeX, lightweight markup (Markdown, RST, AsciiDoc), or XML (DocBook, DITA, S1000D) have a distinct advantage in the long term for flexibility.

This

>redditspacer samefagging

Attached: 1517689172177.jpg (496x527, 50K)

>be a microshit slave
lmao word is the only alternative to latex amirite
if there was a latex apologist bingo this would be free space

If your lab doesnt have a standard template just use markdown + pandoc like the cool kids.

Latex is an overcomplicated markup language that tries not to be a markup language.

>thinks this is reddit spacing

Newfag

Depends. For a 4 pages document? Sure. But good luck trying to keep your sanity when writting a thesis or a book in word

>too dumb to install gentoo
>too dumb to use latex
send help

Attached: 1361369455611s.jpg (124x124, 3K)

If anything you're the fucking reddit spacer since that's how you'd enter text on redshit. Look up old screenshots, this is how 4channers have always written since 2004.

Jow Forums in a sentence

>t. NPC

Attached: download.jpg (220x229, 5K)

>playing "pretend to be an oldfag" card
>"but i have that screenshot of "who" using redditspacing in 2009!!!"
Probability wise and based on your retarded posts i rather bet that you a reddirt (99.9%) than an oldfag (0.00001%).
Basic Occam's razor.
So kill yourself.

Why would you ever use Latex instead of Word? I understand it was useful in the 80s/90s but in the day of GUIs there's literally no reason to use Latex

Why do you put each sentence on their own line? Jow Forums does not format them into a paragraph, that's a Reddit thing.

I've literally been posting here since 2006, before /mu/ even was a board so go fuck yourself kiddo and take you reddit spacing with you

I use Linshit so I can't use Word

Old habit from pre-userscript era of imageboards.
And making it easier to read by utilizing vertical space instead of horizontal.

Sure, i fucking believe you, dumb reddirt.

wow a stats major

You have to go back.

If you haven experienced the joy of managing a 80+ pages document that completelly fuckes itself because you added one sentence in page 2 you wont understand why we prefer latex or at least markdown

Also, version control

Keep using spacing like that, so i can instantly notice which posts to disregard.

>not separating the quote part from the post body

No wonder you advocate LaTeX, even your posts look like shit

Keep writing posts while disregarding paragraph breaks you fucking retard

>one sentence paragraphs
Alright.
Are you done wasting my screen space with your empty lines or still want to say something more?
I already got that you are completely braindead. What else you want to talk about?

I'm not even going to bother reading that, your posts look unreadable.

>look at me I'm le edgy kid I don't need paragraph breaks

P.S. Why do you write every sentence on a new line you 12 year old zoomer imbecile

Lemme save you the effort of living and tell you now: you're not gonna make it.

>Old habit from pre-userscript era of imageboards.
>And making it easier to read by utilizing vertical space instead of horizontal.
Lol? What does it have to do with userscripts? You're making shit up. Also, learn to resize your browser window.

>"I'M NOT LISTENING LALALA"
Keep acting like a child.

Newfriend, back in old days, wakaba sometimes used to fuck up the formation of long lines.
You had to horizontally scroll to see the whole line.
And it DID NOT MATTER if you resized the window, you still had to scroll.

>i was only pretending to be retarded!
lol

>Latex is absolute shit and a nightmare to work with
Or maybe you're just retarded. What's more probable?

Why are you quoting inside a quote? That's what > is for you newfag cretin.

I dare you to write a professionally looking paper in M$ Office.

Given the number of StackOverflow questions on it for basic shit, probably LaTeX being shit.

I agree, troff is at least honest about being a fucking pain in the ass.
But all major, serious UNIX books have been written in troff.
Checkmate, TeXists.

>he doesn't write his documents using the adobe InCopy + InDesign workflow

Attached: 1531135779304.jpg (1920x1080, 870K)

>professional

Funny choice of words since in the professional world, MS Office or whatever is on Macs is what's used. Don't even get me started on presentations. Unless your entire presentation relies on equations, getting the same layouts on Beamer is impossible.

But I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you meant academic papers. For that every journal and conference provides templates for MS Word, and the result looks the same as in LaTeX. Better yet, you can drag and drop elements exactly where you want them.

And for a bunch of people who bleat "hurr aesthetics don't matter, form over function", you sure like to jerk off about LaTeX's "beauty".

Where I work we don't use LaTeX, but what we use is probably closer to that than Word. It's an XML-based format called S1000D, mostly common in aerospace and military. Like LaTeX, you aren't really doing "WYSIWYG" editing, although there are tools like Arbortext and Adobe Framemaker which allow GUI-based "WYSIWYM" (What You See Is What You Mean) editing.

The general advantage is that by separating content from presentation, and making content modular, you can more easily reuse data in different contexts. S1000D users are often suppliers that deliver documentation in this "neutral" format to customers who are then free to include it in their manuals with any style they want.

There's also concepts that I'm not sure exist in a typical word processor, like conditional processing, known as "applicability" in S1000D:

This is a common step to all variants of the product.

This step only applies to Version A of the product.

This step only applies to Version B of the product.

This step only applies when maintenance is performed outside in icy weather.

Now when you go to deliver to Customer A that uses Version A of your product, you can automatically filter out the steps that don't apply to them. Alternatively, an interactive electronic technical publication (IETP) viewer program could let the user filter the procedure dynamically at runtime, so they can select the current weather conditions (Icy vs. Normal vs. Hot) and the procedure is filtered appropriately.

Attached: dita_s1000d.png (297x170, 8K)

Sick comeback.
What about about using commas with direct addresses?

You sound very angry btw. Take a breath.

Yes, I do get angry at idiots.

Must be hard to look in the mirror every day.

Comparing LaTeX to office suits is futile and people still miss the most important point: LaTeX is a tool that's designed for completely different purposes. You DON'T use LaTeX for writing docs on the go and you DON'T use LaTeX for writing notes, since other programs do these same functions much better and faster (see LibreOffice and terminal text editors). You USE LaTeX for "designing" the architecture of a complex and long piece of work: the point of this is that LaTeX allows every document type to be perfectly replicable in the future, even when the content varies in quantity and quality. As a teacher, I stopped using any Presentation suite as soon as I learnt Beamer: it's much more powerful and the one template I've made lets me create multiple thousands of presentations the way I want them to be each time I need them.

t. ricer

Maybe, but when it comes to writing documents in it, I'm always tweaking shit just to make it look half decent.
The reason I like it is because it's basically like working withing the good ol' wordperfect underwater screen, which I miss in every other modern wordprocessor.
Maybe it's perfect for writing scientific docs in LaTeX without having to worry, but for general documents like manuals, or CVs it still requires a lot of tinkering.