Are vinyl hipsters a cancer on the earth?

Who cares about a few thousand 30 year old boomers? The industries finally managed to jawbone the vast majority of the sheeple into their streaming services and they’re not going back. Ask a 12 year old if he has any interest in owning physical media for security or sentimental reasons. Those little Gen Z shits are the future.

Attached: R-471748-1118516721.jpg.jpg (625x400, 36K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jVoSQP2yUYA
louqe.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>earlets can't tell the difference between analog and digital?

Not particularly.
Also

There has never been a good thread that had the word "cancer" or "hipster" in it.

Nibba, I run my analog vinyls through an ADC, then through a noise and degradation filter, back through a DAC, then on to my equalizer, then to out to my amp.

>zoomers want to be boomers

Attached: tidepods.gif (200x172, 70K)

Vinyl has a whole lot of defects.

>can't capture certain sounds especially electronic music
>bulky to store
>not suitable for use in a car
>quality degrades with use
>quality subject to the vagaries of pressing quality
>has a relatively small storage capacity, on average 8-10 tracks is typical of how much a vinyl LP can store

hes got '30 year old boomers' in as well. Its a fucking BINGO! special
>noice 1210 pic tho

I'm 20 years old so technically gen Z. I have about 30 gb worth of music on my phone. I own and listen to vinyls not because they sound superior in any way shape or form, but because it's nice to touch something physical now and then.

Attached: IMG_20180910_105033.jpg (4608x3456, 2.57M)

>quality subject to the vagaries of pressing quality
To be fair we can get a lot better, more consistent quality with modern technology than we could the oldskool steam-driven presses which often resulted in as many as 40% of discs coming out defective and having to be thrown away. Today they can get it down to a roughly 10% defect rate.

>signal degradation pipeline

Physical media will never die as long as Japan exists because they cannot into streaming or Internet.

Digital solid-state is technically superior, since transparent DACs have been thing for years. Of course you need proper amplification for that (at least in minimum you don't want to have interference/hiss like you can get from cheaper mobo audio outs), but then again you really need to invest money into your record player setup too: decent player, possibly need cartridge replacement, possible preamp, and then the amp etc you'd need with digital too. Not to mention, analog audio is more fiddly than digital which either works or doesn't work, since there are more variables in the chain that affects the quality. And you still have to rip those analog records to digital format if you want to listen them on your phone. Only thing that comes to my mind on the top of my head is that on CDs they can compress the dynamic range during the mastering to get more loud record, while the vinyls are usually mastered differently.
Still, people are still going to use vinyl records as long as they're available, same goes for old consoles, computers, cars etc. They're not used and collected because they're technically superior, it's because those are collectibles. And some people will prefer owning things they actually can touch, unlike just buying digital album.

>Ask a 12 year old if he has any interest in owning physical media for security or sentimental reasons.
If you asked me back when I was 12, I would answer you the same way. But when you are 12, you are retarded little shit with rezarded opinions.

Why is that? Genuinely curious.

Music is made in Ableton, Protools, or whatever they're using there, what even is the point of putting wavs on a vinyl.

I'm not as autistic as Prince was regarding physical media, but do you really think in 30 years that 12 year olds are going to dig through their parents' attic and find the records they had when they were 12? How could they when their music was saved on a iPhone that probably got long since ground up by a recycler? I mean, who doesn't like looking at their parents' old record collection? It says a lot about who they were as kids.

^This. Who takes a 12 year old's opinions seriously?

You don't even need it anymore on retro PCs.

Attached: gotek_a600_2.jpg (1024x661, 67K)

Vinyls are a collector's item, first and foremost.

Not the same thing. You can't really get new 720k 3.5" floppies anymore (I don't think any new ones have been made since the 90s) and floppy disks are crap in terms of durability, reliability, and ease of storage compared to solid state storage.

How much new vinyl was being pressed in 1998? You'd have been laughed out of the building if you told anyone what would happen in 12 years.

Not the same thing. Floppies are really only useful for retro PCs and you can just use Flash storage solutions with them now.

I prefer to just call them records

Japanese aren't that good at Internet usage for some reason and Japan also has draconian copyright laws that punish music downloaders harshly. It's cultural to an extent; Americans have more of the idea that stuff should be as open and free as possible and pirating is a form of rebellion and fighting tyranny. Japan is too collective of a society for that.

It's also legal to rent CDs in Japan which it is not in many countries.

it’s gonna come full circle with 3d prints anyways

>Are vinyl hipsters a cancer on the earth?
yes
I thought it was a buyers remorse item, first and foremost.

A lot of vinyl pressing plants were abandoned really fast in the early 90s, often they just left the equipment there to gather dust for 20 years until hipsters rediscovered it. Kind of like CRT plants which were also shut down and abandoned really fast, often leaving the manufacturing equipment and unfinished monitors/TVs laying around.

That's a can of worms I'd just as soon not open.

Meaning what?

Arguing about CRTs.

what?
ears are always analog user.
Vinyl distortions can be acheived digitally with a DSP, mainly an EQ.

Dude,
Why the fuck would anyone try so hard to get super good sound out of vinyl?? Thats what digital sources are for.
Vinyl isn't for perfect sound because the medium is inferior.

this is also me

Japan has a weird relationship with vendor lock-in and exploitative labor.

On one hand, hard work is appreciated.

On the other, it’s only hard work because they like knowing how to navigate intentionally obfuscated, fake complex programs and technolog.

The best way to make you feel like you’re working hard.

Workers pretend you need to be experienced and knowledgeable because it gives them job security,

Leaders don’t see the point in retraining or upgrading existing workflow pipelines, as that money is better invested elsewhere.

Corporate execs see the value in keeping it complex because then workers give it their all and overwork themselves as a cog in the machine.

It’s like eggs with powdered cake mix... but in a national/corporate scale. You don’t need eggs, but it makes you feel like you’re actually baking.

You don’t need to run on older outdated systems, but knowing and living in those outdated systems lets you feel accomplished.

Thank you for this post. Very interesting way of seeing this. I always felt the same but couldn't get it into words.

When you don’t have a computer or phone, what else are you supposed to do?

They’re trying to get good sound out of vinyl because the medium still has headroom to improve, and hen it becomes a the contigency plan if technology fails/lucrative business as a rare/exotic EP & signed merchandise.

Can you go into detail on the first part? Lots of electronic music hours to vinyl. Most of my vinyl collection is electronic music desu.

CDs won't disappear any time soon. They don't sell like they did in the 90s, but they still move a few hundred million a year.

Not as long as Japan exists anyway.

This
Sales of cassettes, CDs, vinyls are something that happens at house shows, small local venue shows, etc. - it’s basically merch, like hoodies
I think it’s good because it allows local scenes to be funded through hand-to-hand cash transactions for something physical (which we are biased to see value in vs. sending some e-shekels for a stream)

Expanding, the biggest vinyl scenes are those with a strong DIY culture: ambient, folk, noise, punk, techno, etc.
Buying the latest Sufjan Stevens or whatever on vinyl is dumb

Cassettes particularly confuse me because they're the shittiest of the three major physical audio formats.

If you want something physical to touch, take a dick up your ass.
CDs are fine and you don't need something 10 times the size, that costs big shekel and requires more space to listen to.
Vinyl are ok if you're in your 50s because nostalgia goggles.
Being 20 makes you a fucking hipster sheep.
Kids these days I swear.

Attached: 872.jpg (540x540, 55K)

But with streaming services I cant put my favorite albums with great cover images on a stand for decoration purposes.

i think the word 'zoomer' has gone over your head
protip: it's actually 'boomer' with 'z'

VINLY IS ALREADY PLURAL!
Holy shit, you kids are pissing me off. It's "vinyl," not ''''''vinlyls.''''''

Attached: table.jpg (2798x1867, 1.09M)

But if you ask most 50 year olds, they don't want or miss vinyl, it's only 25 year old hipsters who want it.

I use FLAC as a muh-lenny-al.

Vinyl respects my freedoms

As does all physical media.

Curious how there's been no 8-track revival.

God, no. 8-track was a piece of crap, unreliable and it should have never existed in the first place.

>what is drm on a CD
Eh, not really.

But that's not comparable to the idea of using botnet services like iTunes.

ironically vinyl hipsters are hippies but dont consider collections of plastic detrimental to the earth

I make good money by retrofitting record player coffee tables with shitty little bluetooth adapters and new speakers.
We could probably make a small fortune by retrofitting 8track players to read flash media, and the 8 track buttons to each load from a different.. whatever
Like an 8 track player that has 8 full radio stations with music+commercials from GTA and you just punch the player button for the one you want to hear while driving down the road

im prob going to build a cassette drive into my shoe box sized computer. two 2.5inch trayless bays beside some USB cassette drive I can install beside it and make both look like floppy drives.

Attached: lololair.jpg (1080x1080, 219K)

>>can't capture certain sounds especially electronic music
retarded zoomer that hasn't realized modern electronic music owes itself to record production. look up dubplates, ragga, dnb, techno, and early DJ turntabling.

>God, no. 8-track was a piece of crap, unreliable and it should have never existed in the first place.
True, but there has been a cassette revival, and those were arguably worse than 8-tracks.
I'm just gonna go back to reel-to-reel personally. *Crack* *$ip*

>How much new vinyl was being pressed in 1998?

A lot, here in the UK at least the late 90s was the boom of dance music and DJ culture, at that time turntables were outselling guitars with teenagers/20 somethings all wanting to be DJs, vinyl was fucking everywhere then. Most highstreet record stores had entire sections dedicated to vinyl, my local HMV even had a guy who was their vinyl purchaser, that was his full time job around 1998-2001.

8 track is functionally retarded and everyone who lived during their time will say how they were a retarded idea. There's no point in collecting them as they aren't "hi-fi".
>and those were arguably worse than 8-tracks.
Wrong. Techmoan's video has been referenced to death, but it explains how cassettes were only garbage due to cost-cutting.
youtube.com/watch?v=jVoSQP2yUYA
> reel-to-reel personally.
It's incredible how expensive it is. New production reel-to-reels start at $400. I want a player, but I doubt I'd ever get the music.

Cassettes aside from audio also served as computer data storage on 8-bit machines.

Video games came on them, even. Encoding data into sound is pretty damn cool.

That's not why people like vinyl, but I also realize that this is a shitpost

>It's incredible how expensive it is. New production reel-to-reels start at $400. I want a player, but I doubt I'd ever get the music.

I can get that but I can't get a new box of 720k 3.5" floppies for an Amiga. Such is the folly of life.

Different niches have different markets.
>Amiga
Haven't gotten to listen to your new album yet, Susumu Hirasawa.

what case is this? It looks nice.

where can i get that case

my father and i have a combined collection of vinyl beginning in the early 60's up to today. they're around 500 pieces. i also plan to continue this collection with my kids, so it's a generation project and an archive of timeless and contemporary music culture. have fun doing this with spotify.

>vinyls are hip and trendy
>crts are dead
Fuck this gay earth.

There's still some shit-tier CRTs being cranked out in Asia.

Vinyl is the name of the material used, but by extension it designate the physical object. So why not put a S if its plural?
By the way it's "vinyl", not "vinly" or "vinlyl"

Attached: Vinyl group.png (1386x1452, 13K)

human ears can't hear

louqe.com/ preorder only atm might get in time for xmas if you lucky im waiting for better colors thou. you can get a shitty Chinese clone of it on Taobao for 50$ called the geeek a50 if you cant wait and are willing to make your own side panels.

Ironcally those druggies want to ban plastics but cigarett filters are the biggeat polutor in the sea

thanks!

Because I don't throw them on landfills

Thanks, going to get the shitty clone

I was actually just thinking about this the other day. I still like having PC game boxes and actual CD cases with art. It was nice back when you got something for your money. Now it's all streaming 1's and 0's you don't even get to keep a DRM-free copy of.

WTF does Gen Z even do? Goddamn kids these days.

Fuck I'm old.

Attached: doubt.jpg (406x364, 50K)

God, 8-track was so bad.

>cutting songs in half to fit them on a tape
>having to wedge something between the cartridge and the inside of the player so it would be seated in there properly

Yeah, cassettes aren't perfect and in most cases it was due to using substandard magnetic coating formulations, but nothing compares to the complete bullshit of 8-track tapes.

>what is infinite resolution

>WTF does Gen Z even do?
i think they just play music off of youtube
a couple of my friends have kids, and i've never seen them play music any other way
they probably know what CD's are, but that's about it

Attached: 1525892886098.png (842x792, 82K)

No, memechanical keyboard fags are
>let's take out a bunch of useful keys and make people use layers instead
>this is so much faster now that I've trained myself to always expect it and have trouble locating the original key location!
>60% layouts are too big for my fuckhuge Ikea desk, I'll use 40% because it makes me look more like a twink
>hhkb is a good layout
>let me pay $150 for a set of keycaps that I know will decay over time
>better post this to Reddit so I can gain validation from my fellow bugmen

Does anyone think music trends are catering to streamed lower quality music that’ll be played on small earbuds and iPad speakers?

Enjoy dust clogging it up in no time.

Attached: 1476421418897.jpg (1200x840, 249K)

god i sure fucking hope this isn't the future of music, because what an awful way to live. might as well just listen to a garbage disposal at that point.

>vinyl
Dead giveaway of dumb millennial hipsters. They're called records

I have a record player and collect vinyls. It isn’t because it sounds better, or looks cool, or I want to be “old styled and classy” or a hipster.
It’s because I have a fucking hobby that doesn’t involve wearing programming socks.

That just sounds like you don’t even enjoy your hobby. It’s like having a hobby for the sake of having one.

Is digital media impossible to archive?

>I used to listen to this song when I was your age
>opens YouTube
>:\ this video is no longer available due to a copyright claim

Vinyl is a Generation Y thing.

Attached: 1535085514430c.jpg (1382x268, 101K)

Found the noob who never listened to Moroder or Chicago House.

Attached: EmhJ-1.gif (320x240, 1.31M)

Warner made the mistake of changing it's whole plant to CDs and DVDs.

Now it is owned by Technicolor and the machines were sent to Mexico.

Keep pushing your 440 Hz Propaganda, Jew