Why can't Mac users ever create a folder in a zip file instead of zipping a group of loose files...

Why can't Mac users ever create a folder in a zip file instead of zipping a group of loose files? And it's always zip instead of rar.

Attached: download.jpg (259x194, 7K)

>__macosx

.DS_Store

Umm yes you can?

If you put a folder inside of a folder then zip it it'll retain folder structure.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-09-10 at 14.58.56.png (195x78, 8K)

I didn't say they can't. I ask why they won't.

Are you too fucking dumb to right click and unzip in folder? Mac users don’t need to do this because unzipping automatically creates a folder instead spilling your spaghetti all over your downloads folder. Moron

I do that. But IF someone creates a folder in there already, then I have one extra click to get to the contents, which is annoying.

So I can either do that, or open the archive beforehand and see if there's a folder in there or not.

Both methods involve too many clicks and I don't like that.

As another user said it's default behaviour to unzip into a folder so it doesn't matter if there isn't a folder in the root. For us you just need to double click and archive to unzip it. Why would they use RAR?

>muh clicks

So why are you making this a Mac user thing you shit eater? You will have a problem regardless if whoever made the archive does or doesn’t zip the files in a folder. God you’re stupid

do you somehow lack the "unzip to new folder" option?
what the hell kinda shit are you using?
is this bait?

The only true solution is to inspect the zip file before unzipping, and then either "extract to current directory" or "extract to new folder" appropriately. This isn't just a Mac-related thing, sometimes you want the files "loose" because you expect the zip file to be extracted in a particular location. But always doing "extract to new folder" is probably less effort overall despite sometimes involving extra "clicks".

There's a program called dtrx that will automatically figure this out.

>using zip
>using RAR
>not using tar.xz

Attached: example.png (456x92, 10K)

>folder in an archive
this is cancer and you shouldnt do it

Who gives a shit. Who even archives shit anymore with storage being so cheap and ubiquitous?

People who want to upload and download a bunch of files in one go?

I do!!

Attached: Enja5f0.gif (720x405, 247K)

> tar -cJf

the absolute state

MACTODDLERS BTFO

>unzip to folder
>folder/folder/why.jpg

>rar
>not using xz
fucking pleb

Attached: photo_2018-09-10_08-48-13.jpg (800x450, 74K)