Let's be real for a moment

You can't find a better distro than Ubuntu
Even after distrohopping for centuries in the end I always finished up on Ubuntu
Explain this "Jow Forumsentlemen"

Attached: 1479513931710.png (602x500, 34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Dean_(computer_scientist)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>apt
No thanks.

*Xubuntu

Because in the end you realized what matters is it jest werkz.

Explain this meme

In my case
>"sudo dnf upgrade" vs. "sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade"
>"sudo dnf install " vs. "wget && sudo dpkg -i "
>"sudo dnf remove " vs. "sudo apt remove && sudo apt autoremove"
Also (but this is only what I heard from other anons and can't personally attest) dist-upgrade is supposed to easily break stuff.

Manjaro is better. I use it at work.

Can't you install other package manager in Ubuntu?
I know this kind adelete the point but still

Red Hat Workstation, 50 bucks. It just works.

Attached: 1531229058153.jpg (480x480, 19K)

Fedora & Centos.

Also, Slackware.

debian packages are built in a stupid way, where you need to have multiple configuration files to build a package. rpm needs 1 file and is designed in a way that if you get a blob, you can build a package based on src.rpm.

debian configuration in general is ugly and unnecessarily verbose and obscure.

canonical just confed the garbage in a way that the user isn't getting annoyed by it, if you do a distupgrade, well that's a different story.

Someone tell me that Fedora KDE just werks, because I booted up the main gnome iso in live usb environment, and ram usage blew past 2.5gb with just a console, settings, and Firefox open.

Install GNU GuixSD

Attached: guixdisk.png (602x500, 25K)

>install unfinished freetard circlejerk with a name that conveniently hides the need to put "Linux" in
Next you're gonna tell me to install Hurd

I like manjaro

I've been using Deepin ever since I discovered it in 2015. There was a two-month stint where I switched to KDE Neon (when there was the botnet scare a few months ago), but after my concerns were calmed, I switched back.

Try writing an rpm spec that works on all distributions. It's a nightmare.

Fedora's KDE implementation is shit. Very likely the worst Fedora spin.

if you're going to go with SystemDick/Linux, you should use Arch or its derivatives

Whatever OP is saying completely blew past your virgin brain.

Reread OP
Arch literally breaks after a couple of updates

its all a matter of what you want your distro to be man
for exemple OpenSuse Tumbleweed is the best rolling with the snapshot feature, Kde Neon is the best KDE distro, Fedora is the best Gnome distro, Gentoo is the best source-distro, etc
stop with these best distro thread and just enjoy the linux ecosystem

Attached: 387022388.jpg (342x285, 12K)

You have to admit Linux is too fragmented as for now, if everyone just focused on three distros at max updates would be delivered in a heartbeat and those OSes quite at the state of the art

Yes, whenever I get a new computer, I end up installing ubuntu. Then I use it for a bit, realize what a steaming piece of garbage it is and install some other debian based distro instead.

it isn't fragmented since the linux ecosystem is a tree, therefore an update on a Linux distro is benefic for a lot of other distro

I would add that this tree have like 3 or 4 root so we already are in the state you want Linux to be. Thats why Linux is the leader OS in every domain instead of Desktop, where the main factor of sucess is marketing and UX, 2 factor where Linux is indead weak

Linux is the kernel. Is it not an OS, as GNU is.

Linux refers both to the Kernel and the various Distros

This

This is just a meme. Hasn't happened for a few years for me now.
There are the apt-family, the rpm-family and the pacman-distros. So reality is not that far from what you're saying.

I was obviously talking about the Linux distro ecosystem, witch refer to all the OS that are Linux as a kernel, you dumb fag everyone on this board know that linux is a kernel

Utterly false. Linux is neither a distro nor an OS, is it merely a kernel. Use GNU next time.

>You can't find a better distro than Ubuntu
>Even after distrohopping for centuries in the end I always finished up on Ubuntu
>Explain this "Jow Forumsentlemen"
I have the same issue, but with Arch. I always go back to Arch after whatever distro I'm trying doesn't have a package I want or it's so outdated that my config files don't work on account of a feature not having been added yet. I can't stand most other Arch users and wish I could find a distro just like Arch but without the toxic, idiotic community (Manjaro and Antergos included)

I don't use arch (stability issues) but why do you need to engage with the community to use it?

It's not so much engaging with the community, but seeing how many users are absolute garbage people when delving into the forums to find a solution that isn't on the wiki. They remind me of the debian community in the 90s where they treat people like literal retards for not knowing certain things and when they don't know the answer themselves they just shout RTFM.

How much time does it usually take for it's package repos to update? Like for example when can I expect to have nano 3.0 on my Xubuntu?

>paycuck

Attached: 1536264302149.jpg (684x529, 76K)

Wait 6 months and upgrade to a new release, or two years if you're on the LTS train.

If you want a rolling release with constant updates and new software try Arch or if you want something similar to Ubuntu run Debian testing or unstable. But with a stable release like Ubuntu or Debian stable the packages remain the same (Arch users would say stagnant) until the next release. There are backports you can install to get new versions of software on older releases, but this will affect the stability (read: lack of changes, not crashing) of the system.

The plus side of not changing packages is consistent behaviour of the system, and bugs can be isolated and fixed and triaged against the current versions of software instead of just hoping that new versions will fix the issue. They generally provide security updates for these older packages so you're not facing vulnerabilities, whereas the Arch model just updates the package to the next release where the security issue is fixed.

Both ways have their merits, but it's up to you which one you prefer. I like both, but when I want something that Just Werks(TM) I go for a stable distro.

i thought their releases werk
i thought their non lts werk
i was wrong :'(

Install openBSD

Can't I manually install the new Nautilus instead of waiting till October?

If you want to compile it yourself and install it, possibly. But you're going to have to update GTK, gnome, etc. All of this would be outside your package manager if you do it from source and don't create packages, which makes it an extreme hassle to uninstall or revert the changes.

You might possibly find a PPA with it, and you can add it to your system. But PPAs are unofficial and unsupported, so you're taking a gamble with it.

Understood, thank you
So that's why people usually wait for the distro update unless they find a reliable PPA
(still new on linoox)

10+ years ago Ubuntu was heavily shilled to every 2nd and 3rd world university and government organization, like literally you wrote them an email told them you're a student and they would send you free cd's with Ubuntu LTS editions.
ofcourse free software is decent for basic shit so more and more subhumans and skiddies started using Ubuntu and Ubuntu based distros because they heard the students and other people are doing it.
therefore Ubuntu became more popular but it's like Java popular, just because it just werks on your washing machine and smart toilet that doesn't mean it's an actually sane language used by actual people.

>no sane people

Attached: 1536607840641.jpg (1200x801, 208K)

No, faggot.

imagine this level of virginity

Who dat?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Dean_(computer_scientist)
Here

>works at google
ofcourse he uses ubuntu you dumb fuck

>He is widely credited within the Google corporation and in the general field ofcomputer sciencefor his numerous contributions to the field.
So apparently according to some arch sperg on Jow Forums, this is a 'subhuman' 'skiddy'.

dat goalpost shifting
top kekkerino

This

>more subhumans and skiddies started using Ubuntu and Ubuntu based distros because they heard the students and other people are doing it.
>therefore Ubuntu became more popular but it's like Java popular

>picture of a 40 year old boomer who uses Ubuntu because his workplace said 'it is currently used by a lot of people therefore it's good'

I dont see how that's goalpost shifting. you posted a picture that proves my point.

>all of these idiots arguing over DEs
>Implying Ubuntu is unity
>The state of g
Just download the mini jso and install what you need, e.g. x and a wm. Then the only problem is systemdicks, but that can be replaced too if you care enough and aren't a brainlet.

>Paying for Linux
Oh no no no

If you don't spend hours upon hours every month configuring your system just to get productive engineering work done, you're a subhuman skiddy!!!!

Can't hear you from Slackware. I've used it that past 5 years which is ~half of my GNU/Linux life, and I don't plan on switching any time soon. Ubuntu really is nigger Linux.

>in the end I always finished up on Ubuntu
u must be a noobuntu and udumbtu to use udindu

I thought Amazon sponsors Ubuntu, not Google

Apt made me leave ubuntu. Everything from the output, to the handling of dependency is bad.

I have made several roll backs with yum and dnf, ever had a single problem. Even though fedora is supposed to be a bleeding edge DE.
The short time I used ubuntu it shat more than once just from upgrading.

>DE
meant distro

too late we know ur dumb now

I ended up on fedora for desktop, centos for server. (Also the $$$ equivs) mainly due to work.

Literally who cares about that? Just use the distro. What other idiots act like has nothing to do with you or your machine.

>Single monitor, no distractions
>Thicc good color/ contrast backing
>Window seat, have some natural backing
>No ultrawide meme
>Unity DE, classy Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
>Cheapo ergo key, wired mouse
>Even makes use of the more convenient USB ports on the monitor
>Hammering away at his terminals
>Water to stay hydrated and coffee to bump productivity
>Proud of his work ethic

You may not like it but this is what peak performance looks like.

Attached: 1522891793218.jpg (960x1280, 119K)

What does this thread think of Ubuntu budgie? It's what i'm running right now

Attached: 17497918.png (400x400, 22K)

SHARINGAN!

What

boomer detected

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 18K)

Sorry that I don't watch Naruto, weeb.

Who /comfy/ here

Attached: 1535885812104.jpg (1946x3456, 978K)

ACTUALLY IT IS
sudo apt remove --autoremove {package name}

Fedora KDE is stable out of the box, but doing major things to KDE will fuck it up all to hell, fedora 25 KDE is one of the worst spins ever made, and there have been improvements, but I still wouldn't use it on a main pc, laptops are good though.

I think mint is better desu.