Oh, you want the latest stable Firefox, but you don't want to install Clang?

Oh, you want the latest stable Firefox, but you don't want to install Clang?
Too bad, kid.

Attached: gentoo-logo.png (666x800, 119K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/62.0/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>GCC
This is why you are still a virgin.

Attached: 1535291985471.webm (1280x720, 2.87M)

Yea, going through compiling that was pain, but I just removed npm after it was done
[spoiler]
I'm unsure on how to remove clang though
[/spoiler]

Jesus. Just get the precompiled binary from mozilla's website. How new are you?

then why bother running Gentoo in the first place

Whomst'd compile firefox on Gentoo? They all either install the firefox-bin package or get a different version from Mozilla.

>2018
>not using musl/bsd/clang/gentoo

me

>I have to compile everything from source because gen2

Attached: wrong.gif (480x287, 1.21M)

was ist das

Attached: Screenshot_20180910_194541.png (194x29, 2K)

I do. It ends up being snappier than the binary version, whether you like to admit it or not. Same for Libreoffice.

Gawk. I don't have the patience for that.

You're free do do as you like. However, bear in mind that you can also do something else while compiling on a decent machine. I compiled the latest stable Firefox this morning while working on a couple reports, so no time lost for me.

does --quiet-build really make compiling faster?

what is a clang and why do i not want it

Attached: 1534496314403.jpg (288x288, 21K)

It's a C, C++ and Objective-C frontend for LLVM. Apparently it's required to build the new CSS engine that Firefox uses, Stylo, since its developers were retarded enough to use Clang-exclusive extensions.

>Oh, you want the latest stable Firefox
Lol no.
Yikes.

Yes, because the terminal emulator doesn't have to waste time printing text. Given how long Firefox takes to compile (especially with PGO) it could probably save a few minutes.

it's bloat, you only need gcc

ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/62.0/
>doing things the hard way

what do you think gentoo is newpleb

Just another linux distro 1337 toddler.

>Cannot compile firefox on nubuntu because it's a binary based distro

i think it's a bunch of scripts [kinda like the aur] to make make easier 4u
in that sense gentoo is not hard coz the hard work is done for you

I'll be back in 6 hours

PGO has been removed from the Firefox ebuild.

> not using links on gentoo

Placebo

You came in this thread just to post one word, without arguments nor benchmarks.
Enjoy your slow, bloated binaries.

Me. It's not that bad. Mind you, I'd even compile Chromium if I wanted to use it, but I don't.
You could install the binary version and use it while Gentoo compiles your browser. Never tried it, but emerge -av firefox-bin doesn't result in portage protesting that I already have www-client/firefox installed, so it ought to work the other way around as well.

Is it broken or something? Not on Gentoo but I notice that even if I compile with PGO, about:buildconfig doesn't show any of the flags for PGO. They also added LTO a while ago for Nightly but not sure it's working either because I thought LTO was supposed to produce smaller binaries but for me I get larger?

I tried numerous times to build Firefox with PGO on Gentoo the past week, but the build always failed. I filed a bug on Bugzilla, but it was removed and remains unsolved since "pgo" it's not available in USE flags anymore for the latest stable Firefox. Maybe it was, in fact, broken.
It's a shame, since pgo really does wonders for some programs. gcc is at least 40% faster on heavy builds when compiled with PGO.