Should i learn Java Swing in 2018?

Should i learn Java Swing in 2018?

Attached: Swing_login_screen_Example.png (350x200, 5K)

Other urls found in this thread:

infoworld.com/article/3261066/java/javafx-will-be-removed-from-the-java-jdk.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

do whatever you want

you could be outside doing wholesome work instead of dying in front of a computer

No JavaFX is much better.

Learn what you want but, if you do swing, for the love of God please enable the Nimbus look and feel in your app

Swing is deprecated, use javaFX

Unless you need to do (2d) image processing, then you're back to AWT bufferedimages, and converting back to JavaFX image and forth like a madmann.
And then you figure out the whole image pipeline just does bilinear interpolation, and if you need simple NN interpolation (some people rather see pixels than a mushy gradient while zooming in, believe it or not) you gotta roll your own software zoom.
stupid fx hipsters. But other than that it's indeed nice to use.

you shouldn't be using java for any sort of client/GUI app in the first place

Yes, time tested and stable.

even if you're trying to push a desktop application windows/mac/linux without having to rewrite your app 3 different times in 3 different frameworks (C# & WindowsForms, C++ >K/Qt, Swift & Cocoa)?

yah. Just do elektron!
fucking idiot.swing is best multi platform choise.

No. No one is going tp pay you to write desktop guis in java. Learn something useful like spring

No

fx is on the chopping block
infoworld.com/article/3261066/java/javafx-will-be-removed-from-the-java-jdk.html

wew

FX is apparently getting dropped:

nah, you're just retarded

Its quite easy, took me a few days to learn (I already knew how to create GUIs with C#, though).

i would just use Qt, it's like JavaFX but successful

spring is fucking bloated and complicated to use as this whole Intelij IDE/importing project/spring initializer/mavengradle/ton of other bullshit

If fx is so much better why don't they teach you it in class?

Only if you want to code some GUIs.

Well thats modern java programming so if you dont like it find a different job. Java devs dont give a fuck about bloat because we dont pay for the server it runs on and no one cares

False. There's other options than spring, a shop using spring is a sgn of being a bad company. Vert.x stack is much better and actually used by modern corporations in the banking/fintech sector

Should I send a ping in 2018?

Should I install gentoo on my machine in 2018?

Just because it's not being bundled in the JDK doesn't mean it's dropping support. JavaFX is intended to be the replacement for Swing. It's just that oracle doesn't want to bloat the JDK by including packages that not everybody uses/needs.

Yup. This user is correct.

Infoworld:
>Oracle is making JavaFX a separate module in order to accommodate it's faster release cycle
Jow Forums:
>hurr durr JavaFX is getting dropped

Why do I even come to this fucking board any more!?

Attached: 1536535300335.png (2200x874, 1.58M)

Just use Electron desu

It's pretty sad how Swing now looks better than Windows.

>Just use Electron desu
JavaFX is unironically better in every way it's just that people are even too stupid for Java/JavaFX (I can't believe I'm saying this). I mean get that people can't get their head around GTK or Qt but JavaFX, come on..

Spring is a framework. Vert.x is a library. You dont have to pick one or the other, and you can use both if you want. If you actually cared about bloat you wouldnt use either

JavaFX is indeed super comfy to work with. And it looks just fine too (the default modena style). I just think it was stupid as fuck to invent yet another image format, instead of just treating BufferedImage as a first class citizenship (and getting the ecosystem around it for free). Fuck that Image/WritableImage class.

They did for me

shitty font rendering on gnu+linux

why?
is there a good GUI interface builder for it?
I've been using WPF more and more these days, and have been looking for a replacement.

Given any other options, you should avoid learning Java in 2018. If you're set on learning Java in 2018, you should avoid learning how to do desktop applications in Java in 2018. If you're already an experienced Java developer, you'd already know the answer to your question.

What was the last desktop java app you installed? What was the last one you installed that you needed on multiple platforms?

t. clueless cloud/web faggot

I tried to do a search for what program "t. clueless cloud/web faggot" was, but I couldn't find a desktop java app by that name. Could you describe what it does, and why it's needed on multiple platforms?

>I tried to do a search for what program "t. clueless cloud/web faggot" was
Yeah, that's exactly what you look like, faggot.

I love you too man. Just let me know when you're ready to tell me all about those desktop java apps you're still installing, and why they're needed on multiple OSes. I respect you so much, and I don't want to pressure you into doing anything you're not ready for.

XOXO babe

Attached: Brokeback_Mountain.jpg (928x523, 65K)

Learn React and build your application UI with electron if you actually want to be a productive memeber of this century.

Some of the best IDEs are written in Java. But asking for widespread meanstream apps is besides the point. Java apps are needed where there's no budget for any of this, and yet multiple OSes need to be supported. Chances are many such apps are even written by nothing you can consider a professional software engineer. And that sector isn't exactly niche, but also not mainstream. Any other questions?

>isn't exactly niche

Except that's exactly what you're describing. All I'm reading is that it's worthwhile learning desktop java programming so that you can become an Eclipse developer for IBM or because your company that has no money needs a tool that specifically needs to run on laptops (not phones or tablets) and hasn't standardized on one operating system.

This is not a good use of your time.