Let me tell you about my journey trying to convert from windows to linux Jow Forums

>see bleeding edge riced out desktop threads on 4 chin
>fall for the arch meme
>follow install guide to properly convert from windows to lincucks

FAQ MONOLOGUE:
>installed arch successfully?
congratulations fucko, here's a black screen. get to work kiddo.
>want crisp graphics? have an nvidia?
looks like you'll have to set some kernel settings and rebuild the fucking kernel to load it at boot time. essentially, at this stage most people want to pull their hair out trying to set this up.
>still see screen tearing?
well look, theres a reason why linux is not mainstream, alright. use compton and get the fuck outta here, kid.
>want crisp fonts?
we have a really shitty selection where you can't even see any unicode icons that you saw in those cool looking vim-airline. good luck trying to get those to work in urxvt buddy!
>want gooey?
X11+DE+WM throw in some systemd for shits n giggles each config file conflicting with each other
>want sound?
alsamixer shitty looking shell interface
>want a custom keyboard layout? hold down space and make it act like ctrl?
here's xmodmap xkb xcape the shit out of it only to encounter worser key lag than windows apps
>want copy and paste to work?
use vim/terminal/DE? yyyyeah thats not gonna work out the way you want it to, especially if you're used to pressing ctrl+c.

I only found linux useful for few things:
1) if you're a programmer working with C/C++/python/go
2) if you're using it as a facebook machine
3) if you're using it to show off your ricing skills

what it's not good for:
1) data entry (lots of copy pasting)
2) graphics work. cant get used to gimp.
3) people with rsi. the linux workflow is too dependant on ctrl and meta keys that are located in the worst possible place for me. also key lag for dual-modifier mode is garbage. stackoverflow fags literally say "don't type so fast" to avoid this issue.

Attached: 1519975682655[1].png (633x758, 23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ergoemacs.org/emacs/emacs_pinky.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Works on my machine.
Sage goes in all fields

>not good for copy paste
>literally don't even have to copy paste, you just highlight text, and then middle mouse click to paste
Go back to r3ddit, faggot

>>see bleeding edge riced out desktop threads on 4 chin
>>fall for the arch meme

thats what you get for being a follower cuck

>can't into nvidia
>doesn't know pop!_OS and a few other distros come prebuilt with nvidia drivers.
It sucks to suck

>rsi
I personally find that using the mouse is worse for me than hitting the ctrl/meta keys.

I got a tip from this blog post about pressing ctrl/shift with the side of your hand rather than the finger: ergoemacs.org/emacs/emacs_pinky.html

And always use the opposite hand for pressing control keys than the actual key, e.g. for ctrl-s hit ctrl with your right palm and s with your left hand

you're a faggot that i will spit in the face of if i ever encounter you in person

Can someone please explain for what earthly reason would a sane man go through all these mundane steps? To achieve what?

Debian net install
fuck archnigs lol

>>installed arch successfully?
no cause fuck arch, i'd rather use gentoo
>>want crisp graphics? have an nvidia?
well we need more competent programmers
>>still see screen tearing?
a little tear hurts no one and i don't get screen tears
>>want crisp fonts?
my fonts are fine desu, i install chromium and the dependencies that come with it have good fonts for the system, also use lxappearance i guess
>>want sound?
alsamixer is god tier
>>want a custom keyboard layout? hold down space and make it act like ctrl?
idk what the fuck that shit is
>>want copy and paste to work?
i use st with no patches and copying and pasting works fine.

>I only found gnu/linux useful for few things
programming
privacy+security
having extreme control of your operating system (if you use gentoo, you know this)
(ricing is one of the pros)

>what it's not good for:
gaming and media production, thats about it. Blender and kendlive is okay i guess, idk.

Attached: faggot.png (500x2000, 270K)

>installed Arch
Found your problem. Get common sense then we'll talk.

transcendence

Attached: 1530558834691.png (416x281, 118K)

It's like playing hard mode in gaming, some like the challenge and most don't.

Its more like chopping your arms off and replacing them with prosthetics

I couldnt even get mint to boot from usb, you got farther than me you whinny faggot.

>here's a black screen.
you mean a completely black screen or did the x server just fail to start?
>looks like you'll have to set some kernel settings and rebuild the fucking kernel to load it at boot time. essentially, at this stage most people want to pull their hair out trying to set this up.
i dont know if youre trying to use the proprietary drivers or not, but setting it up for me was pretty simple with the free AMD drivers.
>screen tearing
i havent noticed really any of this on my WM, i use I3.
>X11+DE+WM
actually you dont need a DE to use i3wm for example.
>systemd
never had a problem with it
>alsamixer shitty looking shell interface
use pavucontrol
>copy paste in terminal
for this you just push down on the mouse wheel. in terminal ctrl+c is there to stop a command where the standard output is the terminal.

just install gentoo
(or a distro that actually works faggot)

cybernetics prosthetics*
fixed that for ya.

he probably means a terminal screen.
also
> copy paste in terminal

USE CTRL+SHIFT+C / V or middle mouse wheel button
fucking retards I swear.

>falling for the arch meme

Attached: Arch_Comic_1.png (650x4377, 871K)

ive actually had no problems with arch
i used to use gentoo just fine, this is just easier.

you fell for the reddit distro, you have only yourself to blame.

Attached: 7428ddea38254a86a8a18b9200bdb6f4166ccd8b4af978432667bb3140bdf52d.png (1584x1786, 408K)

Here let me spoon feed you.
>copy pasting
if in console, use a text editor with standard bindings like ne or micro
if in Xorg, select text and middle click
if not or don't want to use a mouse then, use a graphical text editor like a sane person
>graphics work
That is lack of commercial software. Not an issue of Linux per se.
>linux workflow is too dependant on ctrl and meta keys
Use a desktop environment instead of using window manager to post on desktop threads.

>i used to use gentoo just fine, this is just easier.
damn people actually fell for it lol! incredible in 2018!

>no cause fuck arch, i'd rather use gentoo
my fonts are fine
alsamixer
idk what the fuck that shit is
copying and pasting works fine

you sound like a faggot

Don't cofuse Arch with easier distros that actual productive people use.
Arch ricing can be understood as a form of sport challange. Of course its not easy and requiers a lot of effort, but there is no point in doing it.

You will always lose if you decide between Linux and Windows. Just use both and get the best of both worlds.
A true wizard understands that both are shit OS and you get the best when you sail between them.

I use Linux as "main" desktop but have win10 as 2nd boot option with a shared data drive. Whenever I need something Linux isnt good for I fire up Windows and vice versa.
Ultimate comfyness.

Attached: waitingpassivelyb90bmimusic.jpg (788x831, 195K)

Sounds like you'd rather use a just werks distro like ubuntu or opensuse

/thread

does dual boot actually work?
ive read a thousand times on Jow Forums that something will fuck up the other system
>i believe what Jow Forums says

i have them on different hard drives, but windows has basically completely fucked my system clock

learn to ctrl shift c and v

>needing a 3. key
i thought linux was less bloat, wtf

The feeling of having control and freedome

no one cares fuck off

sure. you can either always bood the linux drive and select the os in the grub screen or disable grub and switch the bootdrive in the bios.

My windows has a messed up time but I never bothered investigating/fixing it.

>control and freedom
>following steps

Attached: 1536460096100.jpg (640x480, 37K)

>urxvt
>alsamixer
>vim
why would you use these? maybe the problem is that you've been trying to use the software that the retarded wanker gentoo/arch people tell you that you have to use in order to be cool in their opinion. the kinds of people who base their sense of self worth on having forced themselves to learn how to use a text editor designed for use on some shitty 70s serial terminal that didn't have arrow keys. screen tearing and fonts are the only legitimate problems in your post, the rest is a result of trying to be a neckbeard wanker