What would be a good programming language to learn for me? I'd really appreciate the input

What would be a good programming language to learn for me? I'd really appreciate the input.

I have a job I love that pays enough but I'd mostly like to do it to make side cash from home and maybe help some friends if i like them enough. So how in demand it is isn't super important but I'd like it to be practical.

I am very strong in mathematics.

I made all As in the two C++ courses I took in college but they were pretty basic and I took them a while ago and would need to start over basically.

I am great at problem solving, making a plan, and increasing efficiency.

I am terrible at design and art so graphics development would probably be out.

Working to develop custom tools to help a workplace run better seems like my kind of thing.

Im not the best at working with a team. I can get along just fine with people and honestly value the input of others, but I constantly find myself wishing I was doing it alone so I could make it a certain way. However meeting new people would be kinda cool.

I appreciate any anawers on a question that has been asked here 1000 times, picking a language that fits just seems very daunting. Tips for picking one would be appreciated too.

Attached: 1535619099552.jpg (700x606, 134K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cprogramming.com/tutorial/c-tutorial.html
learn-c.org/
learncpp.com/
cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
cprogramming.com/tutorial/c -tutorial.html
en.cppreference.com/
isocpp.org/faq
learnpython.org/
codecademy.com/en/tracks/python
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Programming_resources
world.std.com/~swmcd/steven/perl/linguistics.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Sounds like you would enjoy something like lisp or haskell.

Excel. I'm not even joking, most companies buy it, but don't make full use of Excel. It's not that hard to pick up, easy to find help for, super commonly used... There is a decent amount of Excel side work that you can get from places like upwork - which should also expose you to the other kinds of things that companies are looking for.

Most programming language are pretty interchangeable. What's important is how well you know data structure and algorithm.

>I am great at problem solving, making a plan, and increasing efficiency.
yet you can't do any of those to pick a language lol

So you want to learn programming?

Pick a starting language. For beginners, there are generally two recommended "programming families" that you can choose to start learning:
-Dynamically typed/interpreted programming languages, such as: Python, Perl, Ruby
-Statically typed/compiled programming languages, such as: C, C++, C#

These are amongst the most popular languages in use worldwide, including 4 from the top 5. Both approaches are perfectly fine, and well-documented.
-Dynamically typed programming may be a bit more flexible, convenient, and forgiving. It is more popular in academia.
-Statically typed programming is a bit more suited for making general applications. It is more popular in industries.

Cannot decide? Flip a coin.

If you choose statically typed/compiled programming, you may want to start with C, then pick up C++. C is very well documented, and teaches many universal programming concepts. C++ is based on C, and adds new concepts. Sources:
For C:
The C Programming Language (K&R)
C Primer Plus (Prata)
cprogramming.com/tutorial/c-tutorial.html
learn-c.org/

For C++:
learncpp.com/
cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
cprogramming.com/tutorial/c -tutorial.html
en.cppreference.com/
isocpp.org/faq

If you choose dynamically typed/interpreted programming, you may want to start with Python. It is very easy to pick up. Here are some good sources:
learnpython.org/
codecademy.com/en/tracks/python

>BUT I WANT MORE SOURCES!
Read: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Programming_resources

>BUT I WANNA START WITH [language x] INSTEAD!
Sure, if you like. But the languages above are considered good for beginners.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE A COOL WEBSITE!
Learn HTML, CSS, and Javascript.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE iPHONE GAMES!
Learn Objective C and/or Swift.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE ANDROID GAMES!
Learn Java.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE PC GAMES!
Learn patience.

does haskell actually pay?

Maybe. I was kind set on programming but I'll look into it. Thanks

Learn data structures with c++, there is so much more then what can be fit into 2 classes

learn Perl

world.std.com/~swmcd/steven/perl/linguistics.html

Learn dart if you wanna get a job at google

Attached: 39976cf1904de8e0fdcb12753209f57a.jpg (400x600, 39K)

Wtf is dart?

Dart made Google but it never took off even in the company. See angular 2; it uses typescript.

Learn C# if you want to do MS related stuff, Java if you want to work with the web or cross platform or Python if you want to dabble in hobbyist projects. You can't go wrong with whatever you choose here. These languages plus PHP and JS cover most of (70%+) programming today.

C++ is fine in some applications like modding games but its not a general purpose language like the ones above.

>learn c
This is terrible advice. Fuck off back to your dpg safe space.

Java is getting dated.

C++ is great, it teaches you pointers and basics of programming

Modern languages are VM based so pointers are becoming irrelevant.

If you are working on projects that require low level code, then it's a good idea. But this isn't the majority or people who would want to build an app for scraping a messageboard or something.

>Modern languages are VM based

Attached: 8d6.jpg (645x729, 41K)

I mean, it's good to know " what's running under the hood" and c++ is one of the fastest languages.

>Java is getting dated.
>C++ is great,
Wait, what? I don't hate either language, but if you think that Java has an issue with legacy cruft then how is C++ an option?

>Modern languages are VM based so pointers are becoming irrelevant.
VMs still use pointers.

Java is based on c++
C++ is the foundation.

for someone who only wants a hobby to make some money out of it, i would recommend web design at best

Excel is extensible with VB and JS. Many big companies have very powerful spreadsheets in use that use Excel as the front-end and have an extensive backend codebase and SQL server database connected to it.

Jobs are hard to come by but you'll make 200k+ if you land one. More commonly would be Scala which has more openings, but the pay is maybe only half that at best. If you really want to start with Scala, learn Haskell, then after a few years try to do a lateral move.

years. won’t they change again?

HolyC