Does the amount of these boxes mean anything? Why do some boards have 4-5 and some have 10 or more?

Does the amount of these boxes mean anything? Why do some boards have 4-5 and some have 10 or more?

Is it a good strategy to look for boards with more of these or does it not matter?

Attached: vrm.jpg (681x642, 187K)

Other urls found in this thread:

hardwaresecrets.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-motherboard-voltage-regulator-circuit/4/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

how about you just search google for vrm you fucking faglord refer to sticky

You need to look at the entirety of the VRM not just "these boxes". Marketing departments have caught on to it so now the number of chokes can't be used as an indicator of the number of phases.

those are the things that contain the magic smoke that runs your computer

power phases I think

hardwaresecrets.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-motherboard-voltage-regulator-circuit/4/

don't have a background in EE or even just basic AC/DC circuits, so that's all sanskrit to me

I have like 12 of those lol

>tfw phaselet

if you only have 8 or less your board is shit if you have 10+ its good for overclocking.

I have 10+4 phase, it's awesome

You don't count the boxes; you go to hardwareluxx/OCN/Buildzoid and research the number of phases.

If a $200 board has 5 chokes, what does that mean?

It means it's a 4 phase.

hmm

Attached: p.jpg (2400x1244, 1.33M)

Why do they have the same amount of chokes as $60 boards though? Are these only useful for overclocking or what?

It doesn't mean shit, other than that the CPU is allocated with 3/4 phases of unknown quality.

First, you need to see how many phases go to the CPU. Not all phases are assigned to the CPU. Next, you need to see how many lanes the PWM chip can output. Say if the PWM outputs 5 and you see 10 Phases on your motherboard, it is likely 4 output from PWM, doubled either by a doubler or improperly doubled, to achieve 8 Phases for the CPU, with the remaining 2 Phases for other stuff. Finally, you need to see what type of MOSFETs they are using. 16 Phases of NIKOS PowerPAKs (3 MOSFETs per phase config) is usually worse than 6 Phases of 40+A TI NexFETs/IR(Infineon) PowerStages.

If you are only given the price of the board and the Choke count, your best bet would be to see the form factor of the motherboard. If the motherboard is Mini-ITX, it will usually have higher quality VRMs than Micro-ATX(now mostly considered by OEMs as 'budget' form-factor) or even ATX. However, anything below 7 means 4 Phase max belongs to the CPU and even if there are top tier 50A MOSFETs the maximum current is still 200A which is mediocre at best.

Chokes are only a part of the VRM, and not the most significant, by far. Autists like counting them because they're the only thing visible with the heatsink on.

>why would you need more than 3 Phases anyway
>no one needs 3 phases
seriously, with 28 fucking mosfets, maybe its time to get a (package) size up
!!3,5% duty cycle

what does the chocke on a vrm even do? filter out harmonics?

pleb

Attached: cpu-pwm.jpg (1200x804, 452K)

You'd still need a fuckton of coils so they wouldn't get saturated

MOSFETs switch the voltage between 0-12V, If you fed that to a CPU it would die instantly. Chokes and caps smooth it out to a constant voltage around 0.8 to 1.2V depending on the chip.

Less is better

More means more things to fail

there is apparently "intelligent 5phase" now I think that's as good as 10phase or some thing. I don't know shit about it but they ranked higher than 6/8phase on some overclocking ranking chart even thou they only had 5 not sure which boards they are thou or if this is even true in practice and not some PR shit.

sounds very much like PR shit. VRMs are not magic, and to a certain point more is simply better

What is the advantage of this? From what I just read it makes it sound like only one phase is active at a time. To my eye this looks like a cost saving measure so you can operate the FETs at peak power instead of continuous. There are voltage regulator that could handle the continuous load, but they would be large and require active cooling I suppose. It makes sense because out of everything on motherboards voltage regulator are probably the most expensive and that price exponentiates with power rating.

a reputable OC website listed them in a graph above 8+2phase thou. I think it might be real they had LN2 overclocking boards above them.

Wait, are they chokes(high freq filters) or the inductors in the switched supply VRM? Did some autist just start calling them chokes?
CPUs draw some 100 amps which needs a pretty bitching transistor if you only want to use one phase

Linus explained that one of his videos
It is kind of capacitor that make a very refined control of power to cpu
More of this little boxes better is the quality of motherboard

You are the reason companies are shipping fake VRMs you fuck

VRM is not the block thing its a chip beside it some idiots put thermal pads on the blocks doesn't actually help only the black chips that look small and unassuming behind them.

>your actual PSU doesn't mean shit
t. overclocked a 2500K to 4.0GHz once

>VRM is not the block thing its a chip beside it
the state of Jow Forums

That's a lot of...mediocre phases.

500w continuous
$200

Attached: IMG_20180911_090427.jpg (720x1280, 543K)

bunch of sad fucks in here looking at their inadequate motherboards and saying "it doesn't matter how many you have" while dieing a little inside realizing they shouldn't have brought a Kseries CPU or 1/2xxxX amd because their motherboard is shit.