Takes hours to install

>takes hours to install

Attached: visual studio.png (580x600, 26K)

>needs to add an extra component to it
>visual studio installer opens
>"Sorry, Visual Studio Installer must update before continuing!"
the absolute state of visual tardio

i don't understand why it requires so much for a text editor, gui and compiler/assembler/linker...

>*injects spyware module into compilers*

it has a huge filesize, wtf do you expect?

>*takes up multiple gigabytes over several drives*

Still takes an eternity compared to other huge programs.

Nothing personal kid

>works better than any other IDE

>set up system env vars for certain Node.js tools
>embedded Node.js in VS installer reads env vars but is too outdated to understand them
>installer's insides die silently
>install process stuck for days with no error message

I think it's designed to handle windows-size code base (50 MOC)
so even for "hello world" you'll have a lot of junk you'll never need

C# made me appreciate Java desu.

Why would someone need an IDE?

Can be pretty nice to have everything in one program.

That's it? compiling a C program or running scripts from VIM is easy, and you get all the highlighting + autocomplete.

I'm a spacemacs user myself, since I like having a single editor for everything, instead of a bunch of IDEs, but it all comes down to personal preference.

I get all the personal preference thing, but Visual Studio is a huge program and too bloated.

VS sucks, but KDevelop, QtCreator, Eclipse and Code:Blocks are decent IMO.

When you just want to write C/C++ but you don't know which box to tick so you install everything ever created. At least I have Unity now

For like 3 months now VS Installer let's you update VS to sub-major releases without needing to close the software itself.Obviously when you install new components or important extensions the software itself needs to restart because everything needs to be re-initialized.
VS is used in the most complex and biggest projects ever because it's somewhat reliable and has a lot of features that may not be used by normal users like you.
Big games like GTA V or complex software like Unity, Unreal,etc. are not written in boomer software like vim,emacs or nano.

>linux

>50 MOC
what's that? miles of code? monkeys on coding?

>install
why

supposed to be mloc, million lines of code

Does VS really have the best debugger ? Why is there no alternative?

I have to admit that the debugger is pretty good.
But GDB does the trick just fine for me.

not anymore, i stopped installing it altogether after 2012

Isn't VS open source? Some one should make a demicrosofted VS

Attached: 1440987784371.gif (250x150, 243K)

yes. Microsoft open sourced VS along with Windows 10. the latter has been released under the name of ReactOS. google it

Takes like 10 minutes if you uncheck all the shit you will never use for your Jow Forums-tier programming needs.

VS Code is open source and is really good. Better than the big iron VS for webdev, even.

Yeah unless you actually can't be bothered with json garbage.

>json
I meant node.js

>do a text search
>crashes

actually a good idea as a fix

I've got no clue what you're even saying. The configuration files are all json. You don't need to write your shit in node, it has plugins for a ton of languages.

Visual Studio can never find the dependencies I need. I always have to manually set them.

You mean system libs or your own stuff?

Use nuget. Use relative paths. This stopped being an issue somewhere around VS 2012.

>Big games
>game engine
>game engine
as expected of a /v/indows user

Isn't VSCode just a text editor?

yes

>spyware
typical cringe g user that calls everything botnets or spyware. the things youre referencing are stupidly easy to remove should you wish

I'm mad about this, I downloaded node.js to try it and I was surprised how small it was, but then using any library will try to download VS, what a fucking piece of shit.

>saves weeks on debugging real software

It's meant for professional work, where bugs actually matter.

>are stupidly easy to remove should you wish
>so this is not a spyware
The logic of microsoft damage control shill

Isn't sqlite just a flat file manager?

Attached: 1530483273350.jpg (645x729, 81K)

it allows you to actually debug programs and organize things and it does git without having to write git commands

Never had a luck with any debugger, but I'm not proffesional at all.

Interesting that you mention this. What is it with MS software and why does it take so long to install. Even Win10 takes an incredible long time to copy some files on my disk and I don't really think that having a faster PC changes anything. Is it all that highly compressed that it takes all so long? But even then, I have a Threadripper and would expect this to be 10X as fast as with an older CPU.

>look mom I can't read