Laser eye surgery

Is it worth getting laser eye surgery?
Why or why not? Pros and cons?

What about contact lenses?

Any upcoming breakthroughs in the "eye technology"?

Attached: images.jpg (310x163, 6K)

Other urls found in this thread:

healio.com/ophthalmology/journals/jrs/2016-5-32-5/{99437f4b-5a79-4d51-af99-95ad7fc3950d}/long-term-visual-and-refractive-outcomes-after-lasik-for-high-myopia-and-astigmatism-from-800-to-1425-d
jcrsjournal.org/article/S0886-3350(16)30269-3/fulltext?mobileUi=0
ajo.com/article/S0002-9394(17)30119-8/fulltext?mobileUi=0
youtube.com/watch?v=s5D8jf0k_1k
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LASIK#Risks
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

There's less than 1% risk of scarring your eye's lenses. Usually then most severe side effect would be halo, starburst when looking at point light source.

If you are very used to wearing glasses then why do it at all ?

>tfw your flap falls off and you go blind forever

I don't like my soda bottle bottom glasses anymore and I got money to throw away.
Need also some changes.

Send your money to me and be broke - changes!!

I had it when I was 19 and it wore off in a few years. I know I was probably too young, still a waste of money and however small a risk of fucking up your eyesight.

>risking anything, ever, doing permanent damage to your eyes
Not a fucking chance

I'm comlpetly ignorant of this, but i'm nearsighted as fucked and want this. Is there a limit to how fucked your eyes have to be, before they turn you away?

Didn't you need to check up first to check whether you were ready for the surgery or not? One of the check ups was to know whether your eyes' correction were stable or not and shit like that?

Yep, I did. My eyes weren't done developing apparently, to which they said I'd have to get subsequent "touch-ups" if it started wearing off. It was a Christmas present from my parents to begin with, and by the time it started to wear off I'd already moved out on my own, so this was prohibitively expensive. The surgery itself freaked me the fuck out so it didn't bother me enough to do anything about it.

Ah so that's why you experienced something like that. I'm thinking about getting the surgery but the procedure is complex (which is not a bad thing considering eyes are vital to our lives) and the surgery is expensive.

I wouldn't recommend doing it until you're at least 25 in order to avoid what happened to me.

>Had Lasik like 3 years ago.
Vision wasn't terrible before surgery, but I have a good job and always stressed the fuck out about losing my glasses or prescription sunglasses. Prescription sunglasses are stupid expensive to replace. Lasik was one of the best things I've ever spent money on. Recovery was slightly painful for ~10 days, but nothing major. Say some slight starbursting around lights for maybe 6 months, but that's all gone now. If you want it, go for it. Even though my eyes were watery as fuck, I noticed a difference right when I stood up from the operating chair.

Oh and I got it when I was 25

Didn't the airforce say your eyes could burst due to g-force? How are you ever going to travel to space once spaceships become affordable?

Delet this

I was paranoid as fuck about this, especially trying to take a shower...
I had massive blinding halos around everything for a long time, pretty much couldn't drive once it started getting close to sunset.

Maybe schedule an appointment with an ophthalmologist for a consultation instead of asking a bunch of CS students for advice about your eyes?

Also, don't cheap out. Expect to pay ~4k. Anytime I've heard something bad from someone they went to a place that charged like 1500 bucks. You get what you pay for.

I have keratoconus, strong myopia and astigmatism
I tried wearing lens for a year but they ended up doing more bad than good, and I don't like wearing my glasses outside, so my friends usually joke about me not recognizing their faces if they are farther than 5 meters

I really hope technology help me get this fixed in the next 10 years

Attached: 1532898298112.png (292x248, 20K)

>keratoconus
Nightmare fuel

Well mine is not as bad as google image results, it's only in the first stage and you can't tell I have it by looking at my eyes, but it definitely fucked up my eyesight

>Keratoconus

Jesus fucking christ user. What the shit. I was happier not knowing this was an actual thing. Not to make you feel bad, but I would literally want to die if my eyes did this. Fuuuuck

Attached: 57832316.jpg (300x210, 15K)

As I said on stage 1 you can't tell I have it, the bump is like a millimeter high
However the shitty blurring everywhere is really painful, but I got used to it now I have natural antialiasing

Attached: 440px-Kc_simulation2.png (440x217, 21K)

the airforce reccommends an alternative to lasik. I forgot what it's called but it's apparently painful as shit

Being temporary(like 10 or 20 years?) and only works once would be the biggest negative for me plus the really low risk of permanently fucking up your vision doesn't help either.

I wanted to do LASIK, but the pre-check showed my cornea was kinda thin, not excessive, but still discerning.

I searched and found that they cut your cornea lime a door with hinges, burn matter until the eyesight is corrected, then close the flap. The advantage from the older method is that they don't burn the cornea altogether.

So, I guess it depends on you. Get a check, and remember that any mistake is irreversible.

Like with any surgery, there's a chance of complications, but IIRC depending on the type of the procedure it's smaller than wearing contact lenses for 20 years. I wear glasses so the significant risk discouraged me, but if you are a contacts fag do your research and get your surgery if my info checks out.

By my perceptions of what you guys differ i stumbled upon this matematics:
-1 +2 -3
Or Just -1 +2
OR Another?

>risking anything, ever, doing permanent damage to your eyes
>Not a fucking chance
Also not a chance of it happening. It's not Final Destination 5 however strongly you believe in it.
healio.com/ophthalmology/journals/jrs/2016-5-32-5/{99437f4b-5a79-4d51-af99-95ad7fc3950d}/long-term-visual-and-refractive-outcomes-after-lasik-for-high-myopia-and-astigmatism-from-800-to-1425-d
jcrsjournal.org/article/S0886-3350(16)30269-3/fulltext?mobileUi=0
ajo.com/article/S0002-9394(17)30119-8/fulltext?mobileUi=0

PRK > LASIK

Final destination video incoming in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1

> tfw very high hypermetropia
> astigmatism
> beautiful blue/green eyes
My glasses are thic af, and that makes my eyes huge and distorted, ruining it's natural beauty.
> cornea too thin for surgery
> contact lenses are too uncomfortable and takes to much time to take care of
send help

Attached: sad_picture3.jpg (1280x720, 159K)

Well, some people ate it up.

No. Look into IOLs. Intraocular lenses.

youtube.com/watch?v=s5D8jf0k_1k
shame on them

PRK. There's many more methods too.

I just got my lenses today. It's fucking annoying taking care of them but it feels much more comfortable than glasses. Maybe get thinned glasses if you really can't stand your lenses.

Had laser eye surgery (reflex) in December with Euroeyes, in Copenhagen.

ama fags.

>thinned glasses
it already is thinned, but still relatively thick since my hypermetropia is really bad.
> t feels much more comfortable than glasses
nah, they often move and make my eyes dry af.

Tell me about the process, did you feel anything? did you see anything? etc. How long did it take to recover?

There are "fake tear" drops, not sure how they call it in English

>Is it worth getting laser eye surgery?
I know a few people who opted for this. Seems like it worked out for them. The new generations of treatment are even better than theirs, so I guess go for it.
Avoid the cheaper older treatments, and you should be fine.

They do a small incision in your eye. They use local anaesthetic around the eye and on the eye itself (I think).

Yes, you can feel it. Its like someone poking around inside your eye to prepare for it.

The actual laser part was the shortest, it was about 30 seconds.
During the procedure its very blurry for about 12-24 hrs.
>recovery
Specify.

I fapped to this picture

He says, sitting in a dark room 10 cm away from the monitor

Recovery - like right after the surgery, was everything just perfect or did it hurt, was it blurry or sensitive for a while etc?

>its very blurry for about 12-24 hrs

It didnt hurt, but your eyes will be incredibly light sensitive (they give you special sunglasses to use for 1-3 months afterwards).

Delete this right now

Attached: 1530946765768.jpg (325x270, 21K)

That's why I chose to do PRK
Recovery is a bitch, but it's worth it

Once PRK is fully healed there's no downsides? No halos or anything?

Smile (small incision lenticule extraction) is the latest technique no one here is talking about, make sure you research that before making any decisions

I only got it two months ago and I don't have any halos or dry eye or anything else, everything went perfectly but some people do. PRK does not prevent halos, it's just like LASIK in that matter. The difference is in how the laser gets to your eye. There's no flap, so it needs more time to recover and is more painful, but you have no risk of flap complications. There's still the possibility of eye infection, obviously, but that's what the eye drops prescribed are for

>Is it worth getting laser eye surgery?

if its reasonably affordable to you, yes. had a friend require glasses most of her life, got lasik, can now see perfectly and praises it every day.

as one of my other buddies experienced via xbox live when asked if he wore glasses: what's it like to wake up and not see anything?

she went back to work 2 days later (eyes were itchy for ~a week) but has suffered no side effects. entire procedure lasted ~10 min.

>tfw eyesight is so bad I'll still need to wear glasses even if I get lasik surgery

>Prescription sunglasses are stupid expensive to replace
Buy some from China, glasses here are as cheap as $20/pair

It's not worth it for me. My prescription is light enough that glasses are cheap+thin, and I can walk/navigate around without them (just can't drive/see distant signs/etc). I would be trading a slight convenience boost for the risk of serious side effects.

For those with stronger prescriptions- where glasses/contacts become a serious expense, and/or where losing or damaging them would be an immediate safety issue, I can understand wanting the surgery and considering it worth the risk.

>'avin blue eyes

do doctors wear glasses?

I kind of regret it. it takes me like 30 minutes to wake up because my eyes are so dry. and about once a month, I wake up in excruciating pain like I just had the surgury 5 days prior. my vision isn't as miraculously clear as they made it seem. my left eye is still kinda weak. got PRK.

My clear vision is like arms length and then it gets blurry. Im ok with glasses.
I thought about it, it might help, but if it doesn't fix the random floaties I got that piss me off as well then why bother?

You should've went for a check up the exact day you've started experiencing this.

Smartsurface TransPRK sounds too good to be true

Ive had eye checks every few years. I had 20/20 vision till I hit puberty and it deteroirated a fair bit. I have blue eyes you see so theres always a chance it happens.
My clear vision is fairly short but my eyesight isnt deteriorating anymore. If I dont have glasses I have to squint to really make out signs a few meters away. Just a few minor perscription tweaks whenever I go get my eyes checked up. i'm 27 now.
It isn't super serious. I do have to wear glasses everyday. Just had some minor floaties in my vision that bug me from time to time, usually when I'm overtired. The optician reassured me theres nothing to worry about and that its impressive my eyesight has stayed so consistent for so long.
Ive been curious about laser eye surgery is all.

miss me with that spooky shit
I'd rather get +2 attractiveness points whenever I take off my glasses, and I have prescription RayBans so Im gucci senpai
also I like my glasses' shape

its ok user you look good as fuck when you take the glasses off then
save that look for the bedroom familio

>receive some shitty pair with no UV protection
ebin

how come so many opticians wear glasses instead of going for it
like i said
im gucci, dont want that shit

You can't fly in the Air Force, or any branch, if you don't already have perfect vision.

How much was it? Do you have to be a citizen to get it for the price you did?

Why even do surgery if your whole life is sitting in front of a computer?

>im gucci, dont want that shit
>>>/youtube/

I'm sure it's quite safe on average, safe enough foe people worse off than me to go for it, but there ARE potential complications and side effects. If I were left with generally sharp vision but the kind of uncorrectable haloing/starbursting/poor night vision and other artefacts reported, that would be a much worse outcome for me than just keeping my glasses. My night vision is already quite shitty, I certainly wouldn't want to make it worse.

That's why some procedures aren't allowed or at all. Or at least not until certain age. Only one way to find out.

I went to like 4 follow-up appointments, they said I was fine.

my dads friend had it done like 20 years ago and they fucked it up and his left eyeball was in searing pain for a month
It hurt him so bad that he never went back to get the right eye done, so he still has to wear glasses
probably won't just because of seeing him like that

Laser surgery is only temporary

Attached: 4_garfield.ogg.png (4000x4000, 3.83M)

It doesn't tell the full story (that is, some patients do lose their sight or have other significant complications).
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LASIK#Risks

It must have been the newfangled insertion, other methods have longer recovery.

Life is only temporary

TOO DEEP

holy fuck

>cons
fucking HELO artifacts at night
it is bad enough with Glasses, but some people claim they cannot drive at night anymore

>gifting Lasik
imagine you going blind, your parents would probably kill themselfs

my halos went away after about a year

>that is, some patients do lose their sight or have other significant complications
It doesn't tell the full story, because the story of someone losing their eyesight doesn't happen. I don't think you've bothered reading the link you've posted.
>gifting Lasik
>imagine you going blind, your parents would probably kill themselfs
Good thing surgeons wouldn't perform the surgery untik his eyes were ready.

its just something you should not do
like, what kind of parents gift their daughter a pair of fake boobs for her 18th b-day

I had lasik surgery. I wanted to get a treatment without a flap but the doctor recommended me lasik. I kind of regret listening to him.

I'm happy I did laser my eyes, because I used to be so blind that I couldn't even see the face of the person in front of me. But now I see perfectly fine.

But I stopped doing martial arts because I kind of fear injuring my eyes. Which is a shame as I loved doing that.
I also got a mild case of dry eyes. I now use eye drops around 4 times a day (in the morning, noon, dinner time and evening).

I know for a fact that if you get a severe case of dry eyes that you will want to kill yourself. And I believe half of the people who laser their eyes at least get some degree of dry eyes. In the beginning when I didn't have the proper eye drops yet it felt like I had sand in my eyes all the time. Luckily that went away. Now when my eyes get dry it doesn't hurt, but it feels like my eyes are getting sleepy. So I use eye drops again.

I hated wearing glasses as I couldn't do anything with my heavy glasses on (you couldn't do sports, read, shave, jog, lay down in bed, look attractive or anything). So I do think only having to do 4 eye drops a day is an improvement to wearing glasses.

To add. I picked the clinic with the most high tech machinery, as it's mostly just a machine doing all the work. So even the latest machines won't save you from dry eyes.

>But I stopped doing martial arts because I kind of fear injuring my eyes. Which is a shame as I loved doing that.
You could've gotten more than your eyes hurt. Maybe it's a good thing you stopped.

ha ha yeah probably . . .

Attached: 1524314974319.jpg (600x581, 96K)

I don't know. I have been doing it my entire life. I loved the rush fighting gave me.
My brother always did the same sports as me so we could train togheter and fight against each other, so it was also a bit of a social thing.

As a kid I did Judo for 8 years or so. Then kick boxing in high school for 5 years or so. Then Krav Maga in uni for 5 years or so.
Eventually I decided getting kicked wasn't fun. It's best to stay with both your feet on the ground. And punching is all you really need. So eventually I settled on boxing. But now I stopped with that as well.

I wanted to do LASIK but I read to many dry eye horror stories and having a bit of my eye flapping about doesn't sound so good either. Don't know if I'll ever convince myself to go for it, I'm not a big fan of glasses but I don't want to risk ruining my life trying to get rid of them.

The eye flap isn't actually loose. Just during the surgery.
Afterwards it sticks to your eye and then a layer of your eye grows over it again.
But it remains a structural weakness, if you ever get into trauma.

I'd honestly only recommend eye surgery if you truly hate living with glasses, like I did. For other people it's probably too much of a risk.

>but I don't want to risk ruining my life trying to get rid of them
Stop watching that Final Destination 5 scene and read some medical literature. You can convince yourself of many things, but surgeons won't perform the procedure if your eyes pose a problem.