/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.
*Many free software projects have an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: 6HUQg3g.jpg (799x737, 126K)

Cant get mint to boot from usb on a samsung series 3 with windows 8.1. Wut do?

Check uefi bullshit

I dont know how to get into it.

Anyone here using ubuntu 16.04? Anything there that makes it not worth using now?
Seems to be the only one that works well with optimus laptops, and I really like how ubuntu looks like (default color, fonts, taskbar etc.)

If you are satisfied with it and you don't need any software or sw version not available for it, don't upgrade. It's in LTS you should get desktop updates for it for a while.

how can i play my visual novels on linux?

1. insert bullet into gun
2. pull trigger

on apt how do I delete all packages installed as recommend? I mean I noticed if you install a meta package then uninstall it you end up with more packages than you started with, for example when I uninstalled LXDE there were things like pcmanfm or the terminal still on my system. How do I get rid of automatically installed recommends?
I manually searched packages I don't need on aptitude and in gnome software. Now I install most things with -no-install-recommends but I didn't knew before

Use wine
If it doesn't work use a virtual windows in virtual box, if it still doesn't work use windows

0. run the native version :^)
1. steam play (proton) if you have em on the steams
2. plainly with wine*
3. install wangblows xd in a VM

*: if you need japanese locale support (like with applocale in windows), generate japanese locales in gnu+linux (method varies for every distro, check how do to it with yours) and run wine with a temporary japanese locale
$ LANG=ja_JP.ja_JP-UTF8 wine /path/to/vn/vn.exe
If the vn needs shift-jis generate also the sjis locale and set that not UTF-8

16.04 will no longer be supported after next year, so you can wait untill then if you want. I think 18.04 still has the unity package but you have to manually install it yourself, you could also just theme kde to look exactly like unity aswell if you want to.

Is it true that Linux distros don't mean much in the end, and you can turn any distro into anything you want?

i installed fvwm and kinda like it, is there anyone sharing pre-riced config files?

I'm finally migrating my Arch install to SSD. Is ext4 fine for SSD or should I reformat to something more suitable for flash storage?

Only in the end, when you really know what you are doing, so in fact it means something because nobody will turn ubuntu into arch or debien into gentoo, you take an iso and install it over the previous distro like almost everybody...

Roughly. For a purpose one distro may be better than another, but the end you can make things you way.
You can snapshop portage and keep a stable gentoo, upgrading packages only with security fixes.
You can compile all the newest versions of software, dpkg them and add them to debian.
You can smash ubuntu desktop on a server and use it as a server.
You can grab buildroot (embedded distor building too) and make a gaymen OS.

The power of free software and open sores.

possible to use proprietary nvidia drivers with prime gpu offloading?

How's intel graphics on loonix these days? I know there's not much to do with vulkan, but does it still have problems like tearing and stupid shit like it?

I have an Intel HD4000, no problems tearing or HW acceleration, everything works out of the box.

oh, and btw, I'm using efistub for booting if that's relevant

Install Windows 10.

It is true that in the end, ubuntu/debian is installed for actual work.

What's the best distro for actually usable with a good battery life? Why does macOS beat linux so massively when it comes to battery life?

>power goes out while updating
>try again
(287/287) checking package integrity [#################################################] 100%
error: breeze-gtk: signature from "Antonio Rojas " is invalid
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/breeze-gtk-5.13.5-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).
Do you want to delete it? [Y/n]

Fuck everything

My WiFi isn't working
I'm using netctl on arch with no other network manager things
It seems to stop working entirely when I hibernate my laptop.
Yesterday it was working, I hibernated and it died and I struggled for hours trying everything on Google until I finally realized I made a typo in the new profile I made so I'm not sure which part of everything I tried actually fixed it.
But today I hibernated again and it stopped working again.

So far, CloverOS.

How do I get bspwm to work on a fresh install of arch? The git instructions assume I have a number of unmentioned programs and asks me to edit files that simply don't exist like . profile and .xinit

Attached: 1525151759668.jpg (1080x1920, 687K)

how customizable is Openbox? Is there a limit? can i turn it into Gnome, but lightweight one without gigabytes of gnome stuff

What browser should I use? I've used waterfox and palemoon on windows and want to make this Linux setup as free as possible

Is Clover actually any good or is it just a meme?

Don't compare an OS that was designed to work on specific machines only.

links and surf

Try it.

>bspwm
They have a wiki page for it.
>files that simply don't exist like . profile and .xinit
Those files get sourced by other scripts in /etc. They don't need to exist unless you have something to put in them.

So I copy them from there and add lines or create them and add only the lines I want?

Firefox unless you're running on a toaster. Distro maintainers build from source so you don't get randomly opted into telemetry experiments.

>create them and add only the lines I want
This.

So what's the point of all these Firefox forks?

So I have a 1060 6gb, having major screen tearing issues. I've gone through the fixes on a few distros but it performs so poorly I'd rather just switch cards.
Thinking of a RX 580 to replace it, would that work properly?
I don't do a lot. Light gaming and Netflix/YouTube at 1440p. The 1060 worked well enough when I used windows, but I like my native Linux steam library. No wine or anything.

Waterfox is pointless. It was 64-bit before Mozilla offered 64-bit binaries so that's the only purpose it had. Pale Moon is for people who want to run and old version of Firefox.

Most of the user experience has to do with the DE/WM and associated utilities and not the distro. But shh don't tell anyone, people need something to argue about

Does amd have the same issues as Nvidia cards? Do new amd cards even work on Linux? New Nvidia cards half work but not nearly well enough for an entertainment box.

Pale Moon is for people who want to use old Firefox add-ons or want the old Firefox UI. It diverged so much from regular FF that it's basically its own thing at this point.

Waterfox on Linux, none as far as I'm aware. Just pull the source packages and build with march=native.

Does Nautilus really depend on gvfs? And what the heck does the "ubuntu-desktop" package actually do? It's also supposed to depend on gvfs.

Did you do like in pic related ?

Attached: 1520189965888.png (941x1037, 174K)

I did yes. It mitigates it but its not a cure.

What's your Desktop environment ?

I've tried it on Solus, manjaro, Ubuntu, and mint.

which distro/DE has the easiest fix for screen tearing? im so tired of my AMD gpu not being recognised or some obscure config file needing to be updated

is there a default Linux software MIDI synthesizer which acts globally, like in classic windows
if there's none, then what's the closest thing to it?

Microsoft Windows

Budgie, cinnamon, gnome 3
If you mean like a Midi player, lots of Linux ones do that. Just download a soundfont like compifont. If you mean a Midi interface like FL studio, lrrp I think it what it was called. Some open source DAW.

ebeg mim my fren

>If you mean like a Midi player
yes, a global system synth for MIDI

Yeah I need a gpu for that. Plan on buying one today if I can find one without tearing. Solus on budgie I wanna use as my daily.

Aimp, fb2k are what I use. Vlc used to have it but apparently it was a security hole. Not 100% on if those are on Linux though. Am trying to widen my app list.

Budgie uses mutter right?
Is there a gpu support list? My Google Fu fails me.

how do i know my version of gpu driver if using ope source amd ones?
hwinfo --gfxcard gives really nothing, pacman -Qs amd outputs something like this
xf86-video-amdgpu 18.0.1-2 (xorg-drivers)
X.org amdgpu video driver

is it valid?

I have a terrible disk i/o performance in a vm. It's a generic gpu passtrough made based on arch wiki tutorial.
Shared as a sata device /dev/sdb with raw storage type and no cache.
CrystalDiskMark shows around ~30MB/s read whereas they should be at least 10 times highers.
I asked the same question about a week ago, but apparently back them my system (guest and vm) crashed because of out of memory error and after a reboot the disk problem fixed itself. Now it returned for whatever reason. I have tried different settings with no results, I have no idea what caused it to fix for a while back then.

Please send help.

Attached: 1524749877186.jpg (593x800, 58K)

>gpu passtrough
Fallen for yet another \G\ meme I see

>\G\ meme I see
>too stupid to read a wiki without throwing a tantrum when its more then one paragraph

>gnome 3
I have a nvidia card and there was screen-tearing for me too
>budgie
It was bugged
>cinnamon
It was great but there was some screen-tearing too sometimes

I know xfce is known for its screen-tearing but the new vertical synchro option is really good in combination with the 'force full composisition pipeline' by nvidia
I feel comfortable only with xfce and i3. I don't use compton.

Ah yes I was using xfce a bit.
Think my host got banned from solus's support channel so I have no idea who to ask lol.
I'd try manjaro again because I got the best results there but they got issues with their repos not being maintained.

actually, I feel a bit memed

Manjaro is a good choice, the more you approach arch, the best you get.

Yes. It's also reported in Xorg.log as 'module version = ' when amdgpu is loaded.

>please check packages.ubuntu.com for me Jow Forums, I'm to busy hating gvfs for no reasons to have time for it
fuck
off

What's the best graphical file manager? Points if it can be riced alongside awesome wm

It seems like unnecessary bloat, but Nautilus is pretty nice and I would use it if it didn't entail background bloat that I don't need.

So I started getting random black screens on my arch install, and while troubleshooting, I rolled back qt5-base and now I can't boot in graphically. Putting back the upgrade gives me a lot of errors coming from usr/doc/qt. Is there any way I can recover my install?

Should I just use ubuntu? I need a linux that just werks(tm). We use ubuntus where I work, and I used on while I was in uni. It worked fine back then. Do X/L/Kubuntu have any major advantage over the regular one?

Install i3 and xterm and try to see if you can run an i3 X session.

Already installed gnome and could login. Is there anything I can do to rescue my KDE install?

>Is there anything I can do to rescue my KDE install?
Probably, but I'm only interested in i3, xfce or TWM.

I've done straight arch. I really don't like it on a core level. But it's well optimized.

Also, trying to log in thru gdm to plasma gives me the error Could not start kdeinit5. Check your installation. I already reinstalled the plasma group to no avail. Should I just purge plasma and start again?

you could try on a different user and see if it logs in, if it does then you know it's a configuration issue and you can delete the .kde and .config files for KDE and start fresh.

Attached: 4chan meme.png (799x737, 912K)

I want to build a cheap linux box for general desktop use. Is the 2200G good in Mint or is it too new, causing compatibility/driver issues? What would be a good, cheap CPU with integrated graphics and low power draw? I would rather avoid an i3 but I know that it's basically plug and play with Linux.

Don't conflate being better optimised with doing less

Thunar

Just created a new user, fails in the same way. It has to do with pretty much every qt library item in /usr/ since trying to reinstall qt5-base says it conflicts with all those files. Tried pacman --force[\code] and it installed, but the problem persists. Also, anything qt based won't work

No Arch is just better optimized. Even lubuntu eats up disk way more than manjaro.
~~~
I decided to go with Ubuntu as my daily. I definitely want a new gpu for this. Is the RX series well supported or am I gonna NG to have Nvidia screen tearing?

How can I force a program(s) to open up on a specified monitor in Ubuntu? (Ideally I want it to open up in the exact same position every time).

are you fully updated?

pacman -Syu

have you rebooted?

Honestly it seems like your QT is hosed and might be non-repairable without reinstalling your OS

Attached: arch5.png (381x399, 30K)

Install another DE, go in this DE, delete completely kde, plasma and all that, even the configuration files, all you can, restart so you see kde is not here (at the login step), go to the DE, reinstall it.

Decided to try out the Con Kolivas patch, compiling now, has anyone else tried it?

top kek

So I installed Debian with just open-box and light DM, what's the minimalist way to get sound to work and have a GUI to manage it? Is there a good reason to use anything other than Rofi? Termiate vs Urxvt?

rofi in debian stable often fails to switch windows. a bug that was fixed sometime after version 1.4

I want a minimal distro to use on my laptop. Because I will be connecting to many different networks, It has to have a user friendly way of configuring the wireless interface.

arch+xfce+networkmanager

Can you use any package manager on any distro?
If I wanted to use pacman/AUR in Debian, for example

I guess you could chroot into a different distro and use it

how is vega perf on amdgpu/mesa nowadays?

I opened KMAIL for the first time and my PC performance dropped to negative 100. It was somehow using 3 of my cores at 100%. Additionally, my HDD was getting hammered.

Turns out the thing was violating my xsessions-error file and after a moment I had 200 GB text file with the same error repeated almost an infinite number of times.

The error itself seems kind of irrelevant (whining about opengl not being compatible or so), why is this allowed and how do I stop it besides not using kmail

Attached: What.jpg (1280x720, 47K)

>16.04 will no longer be supported after next year
The fuck are you smoking? Its supported until April 2021.

Awful idea: Remove the error file and replace with symlink to /dev/null

distro doesnt matter, its about what DE your using
I use waterfox, its basically just pre-quantum firefox without all the awful features mozilla have been implementing such as telemetry. You can run compton as a bandaid fix
Dolphin
Why is openbox so popular when you could just use xfce or i3?
>what's the minimalist way to get sound to work and have a GUI to manage it?
Uninstall pulseaudio and use amixer in terminal.