Gentoo Linux

Is it true that Gentoo is the fastest and most stable Linux distro you can use?

Attached: 2018-09-11-120920_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 919K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bugs.gentoo.org/653678
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yes.

Yes, but by a rather small amount. Source compiled distros will always be faster and more stable since all the binaries are compiled on and for your specific hardware. Problem is you have to take the time to compile everything.

Whatever minuscule performance gains you get from compiler optimizations is a moot point in this day and age, I would argue that the key feature of Gentoo over other distros is in the package manager with its USE flags, being able to add or leave out whatever features or functionality you want to any given package. The power to build your entire system to your exact personal specifications from the ground up, that's the ultimate point of Gentoo -- a fact that all these retarded CloverOS shills can't appreciate.

Attached: 1505520657511.jpg (326x273, 18K)

but muh speed though
I just wanna go fast

It will be faster regardless without bloated-ass systemd botnet gunking up the works and only the necessary functionality compiled into your programs and kernel.

-O2 is the standard for distros so using -O3 system-wide should make a bit of a difference, although at the cost of using more RAM. You can also use LTO and then there's PGO but it requires a test suite for the program to run to generate data. -march=native might increase performance by like 1-2%.

>Is it true that Gentoo is the fastest
it can be
>and most stable Linux distro you can use?
most stable rolling release, yes

Requesting your wallpaper

Attached: _v9n0xHMqylb8JN2-Yc7eMdIlZPtgKKSiGYsmYBrYr0.jpg (750x720, 96K)

At that point you might as well just use CloverOS

pape please

Attached: Dj-oms3UYAInVlj.jpg (850x850, 57K)

wew is this really what the new jannies think is okay to delete

this

Not that guy, but it's the cover of Inma-San no Onaho Jijyou

Sorry, I'm still learning

You want it to be faster because you perceive your computer to be slow, but the perf improvements you can get by using optimization flags specifically targeting your CPU will not make a perceptible difference.

post wallpaper please

thanks, anymore nice comfy pics

Attached: 1518218650126.jpg (1400x936, 195K)

Yes.
It's also dying. Texlive is old. MPV is old (new one literally can't be installed), Lua is old and so on.

I wish there was something like Gentoo but with big development team.

Texlive is behind by 3 months and ffmpeg 4.0 has a bug report: bugs.gentoo.org/653678

I wonder if you could just unmask ffmpeg 4.0 and install mpv

You should just use Ubuntu buddy

Attached: Ubuntu CD.png (602x500, 34K)

>Texlive is behind by 3 months
With no plans of upgrading (and with compilation error in one of the packages). I need to create a bug report.
>Ffmpeg 4
Didn't try. Assume it's masked for a reason.
And old Lua means that "Vis" is pretty much useless.

And that's only the packages I know of.

SAUCE
I NEED THE SAUCE
AT LEAST TELL ME THE ARTIST

ffmpeg-4 is masked because a few packages can't use it. if you don't have those packages, i think it's ok

the point of CloverOS is to make your $60 X220 or $20 T60 fast as fuck in 2 minutes

Read the thread, someone already posted the sauce you subhuman niggers

Thanks, I'd like to use new mpv version.

It's the best and most precious distro you can use.
Once you get used to it, you realize using any other distro would be a downgrade.
It's rolling release and manages to be both stable and up to date.
You can install bleeding edge packages on a stable system without it breaking.
You can install any version of any package in the repo and portage will rebuild what needs rebuilding and update/downgrade what needs updating/downgrading and keep your system consistent.
No such thing as "dependency hells".
You can even have multiple versions of the same package side by side.
Top tier documentation and support.
Large and helpful community (you can always get help on IRC if you run into problems).
Overlays (user repos, Gentoo equivalent of AUR).
Ebuilds (package build scripts) easy to read, edit, write and maintain.
Gentoo offers you freedom of choice, power, control, customization and flexibility unlike any other distro.
Most importantly, it just works, it does what you want and doesn't get in the way.

Attached: yande.re 454640 iijima_yun maid makicha new_game! thighhighs.jpg (1335x2048, 332K)

post more sexy anime girls

Wrong, the point of CloverOS is to show off your anime titties memepaper and "Gentoo" neofetch logo so you can look cool in desktop threads to stupid nerds that don't know any better who'll see it and go "Wow! This guy """Installed Gentoo"""! he must be l33t! dur hur"...

Attached: 1527162902736.png (300x250, 18K)

What's that bar? How do I install it on Clover?

Attached: 1535238759116.png (426x465, 279K)

it's already there. in fvwm, click on the stats.sh option and it will show up.

I will cum to this later.

Attached: 1536402907844.png (360x383, 54K)

Poettering pls go

wow is that really bosshi? what he's up to?

install gentoo

Streeeeetch

Attached: 1534877212055.gif (970x546, 1.1M)

Now im heavily doubting between debian testing and gentoo.
Why is choosing so hard

Thanks, user!

Gentoo is way faster than Debian.