Reliable Budget 14"-15" Laptops That are Fast and Run Linux

What are they, lads?

>Reliable=they'll still be running in 10 years.

>And when I say fast, I mean they load webpages very quickly, open files quickly, open programs quickly, etc.

>Bonus if they are thin and lightweight.

Pic may or may not be related; not sure of a T460 price.

Attached: T460.png (725x515, 77K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ThinkPad_T_series#Specifications
youtube.com/watch?v=doEZMNXz1JY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

XPSs are comfy

You should buy a Dell™ XPS™ Developer Edition™, which is only $1080, which is less than $350

T420

>Reliable=they'll still be running in 10 years.
memepads, hp-compaq.
>And when I say fast, I mean they load webpages very quickly, open files quickly, open programs quickly, etc.
literally anything made in the last 9 years with at least 6GB of RAM and a SSD.
>

um sweety just save $10 every month and youll be able to buy another shit laptop in a few years

I just bought a 9350 for $280

What are the differences between T420, T430, T450, and T460?

T450 and T460 have the best looking keyboards, but some people say that the last good Thinkpad was the T420. Why not T430? What are the differences and maximum prices that should be paid for each, used?

Attached: 1536517317174.png (1280x720, 1.09M)

>What are the differences between T420, T430, T450, and T460?
CPU-wise, almost none.
GPU-wise, better each gen.

>Why not T430?
it okei, but some people don't like the function keys in a continous row instead of groups of 4. I'm one of them, but I just deal with it (I have a t530)

>What are the differences and maximum prices that should be paid for each, used?
I'd pay up to $200 for the t420, $250 for the t430, $350 for the t450 and $400 for the t460. About $50 extra for the "s" models.

What year did each model come out, if I may ask?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ThinkPad_T_series#Specifications

>I'd pay up to $200 for the t420

can't tell if you find that too little or too much.

Are the T450 and T460 known to be reliable and quality, or are they passed "when the Thinkpad started being made poorly" by Lenovo?

Are there any Jow Forums recommended powerful and light laptops that have a decent dedicated GPU? I would be using it for work with a few VMs, but also wanted a dedicated GPU for some vidya when I'm not at my desktop because I travel pretty often. I was looking at the XPS 15.

Too much. Mine was $75 in pretty good condition.

Oh and I forgot, please no xx_GAMER_xx ugly neon gamer laptops please.

Probably only like P1/X1 Extreme match your needs but those are brand new and expensive as hell, if you have powerful desktop consider gamestreaming, pretty good aside from fast paced multiplayer stuff.

P52s or Dell Precision. Maybe the new X1 Carbon if you like wasting tons of money.

Fucking hell some of those are expensive as fuck. The part I never understood is why I can get ugly gamershit laptop with the same specs for like £1-1.3k britbongs, as soon as I look at the same specs from Dell or Lenovo it's like 2/3k or more easily.

>if you have powerful desktop consider gamestreaming
I'll try that, not sure how well it will work with hotel wifi though.

the days when corporations everrywhere got a gorillion memepads only to get rid of them 3 years later in mint condition are over. They rarely buy memepads at all.

they're not as sturdy as the old ones but they are WAY lighter.

The app I used for gamestreaming was parsec and I had good mileage using it even over vpn and limited work wifi, but it all depends on routing I guess.

Yeah I've heard others mention it so I'll try it. What kind of distance/ping were you to your host machine though?

Sturdy, meaning put together, or meaning likely to survive a drop/fall? Are they at least reliable, to where they'll last for 10+ years?

I never actually tried ping so idk, home pc was few hundred km away from me when I tried it that one time and it was smooth and that was like a year ago, I barely play vidya anymore maybe software has improved even more since then.

I'd be playing from around those distances so hopefully it works and I can drop the dedicated GPU requirement, thanks user.

then no, pretty much everything else has workstation gpu, which is not so good for games

I see at least one 1050/1050ti option among the higher spec slim models from most vendors now so I don't think that's true anymore

Why is XPS more expensive in Europe?

Got a t420 a week ago for 180€. Changed trackpad (4€), screen (50€) and hdd for ssd (35€). Cleaned it and replaced the thermal paste. Looks and performs like a charm. Total cost was sub 300€.

My t420 came in but the fucking lock on the ultrabay is missing
is there a FRU for it? If I put an HDD in the I would be worried about a bump knocking the drive out

Attached: larry-silverstein.jpg (544x566, 41K)

-classic memepads: 100% carbon fiber body.
-not-so classic memepads up to the **20 gen: top and bottom carbon fiber, insides plastic
-**30 gen and up: the whole base plastic, only the back of the lid carbon fiber.
I remember holding a t440 with one hand and the fucking base bent. That's the day I knew memepads were over. Ironically I grabbed a yoga 14 last week and it was the sturdiest memepad I've ever held, that thing is made of fucking STEEL.

Bumping for interest. I'm also in the market for a 13"-15" laptop. I don't mind chink laptops as long as they are from a known brand like Huawei or Xiaomi.
I'm gonna be using it for college and for work next year, and the occasional gamejam or LAN events.
It'll have to be capable to run Unity, but the main use will be programming.
My budget is 500-600 yurobucks.

Pointing me to the right resource might help too, I didn't seem to find anything like GSMarena or the likes for laptops.

Sorry to be so stupid, but does this mean the T420, T430, T450 and T460 are built shitty? When you say "up to **20," does that include the 20? I doubt it, but just asking and trying to understand more.

>**20
that'd mean x220, t420, t420s, t520 and w520.

>does this mean the T420, T430, T450 and T460 are built shitty?
not really, but not as impossible to destroy as the classics. I still have a t60 that works 100% since day 1 (2007), on the other hand I had a t440 and the base shattered 6 months in. **20 and **30 are the latest truly NASA-tier memepads.

3rd gen x1 carbon

I bought it last year.

share your secret wth us then. Where do you buy, how, etc.

So I will be better off getting a T420 or T430 than a T440, T450, or T460. Damn, the T420 and T430 have ugly keyboards. And looking at reviews on Amazon, it seems that ALL Thinkpads are hit-or-miss in quality. They all have many one-star ratings detailing many bad problems. That's scary.

you can get the t440p or the t450p, those are similar quality and have the new keyboard but they're not light.

Fuck, I want a light one. I just want a thin, lightweight 14"-15" Thinkpad with a keyboard that looks like the T450 or T460 keyboards for under $400 used, while highly-reviewed by people and that will last long.

Attached: 1535738963559.jpg (350x250, 26K)

1st gen x1 carbon

Ebay.

T420: last model with easily modded BIOS and old keyboard
T430 onwards: new keyboard, signed BIOS so no new wifi cards or chink batteries for you
T440: Braindead touchpad with no buttons, but you can get some back by replacing the touchpad with one from a T450. Some of these have IPS screens
T450: Basically T440 with newer CPU and "fixed" touchpad

All of these have absolutely terrible 1366x768 TN screens by default

Woah. When you say easily-modded BIOS, you mean a BIOS that can't be replaced with something like Coreboot? Or do you mean a BIOS with lots of options, such as to disable the microphone, etc.? Sorry for my very apparent retardation.

And I assume old keyboard is better than new? So, T420 is better than T430?

On the T430, can I still plug in a USB wifi antenna and use it? (I don't see why not.)

What do you mean no new chink batteries for me? What does BIOS signing have to do with that?

What is BIOS signing used for/accomplishing anyway?

been using my t430 for a couple weeks now and i'm pretty happy with it. i7, 16gb, 5400m, HD+. came with a 256gb m2, removed the 500gb hdd and dvd drive and put two 128gb ssds i had laying around in their place

next step is to get an IPS screen and a new battery. right now I have the 9 cell 70++ but it's only holding like 55Wh instead of the 90Wh it had new. I'm thinking about buying a 70+ 6 cell and a 28++ slice. that should get me more than 3 hours right

>When you say easily-modded BIOS, you mean a BIOS that can't be replaced with something like Coreboot?
It means that the chip can only be flashed with a modded BIOS using an external flasher (which you pretty much need for coreboot anyway)
>And I assume old keyboard is better than new? So, T420 is better than T430?
Some people like typing on the newer keyboard more, but it has less keys and functions than the old one
>On the T430, can I still plug in a USB wifi antenna and use it?
Sure, but that sucks
>What do you mean no new chink batteries for me?
The new BIOS basically blocks batteries without a lenovo chip
>What is BIOS signing used for/accomplishing anyway?
Basically it's just Lenovo being assholes

>Some people like typing on the newer keyboard more, but it has less keys and functions than the old one
Can I get a quick rundown on which key/functions I can expect to be missing?

>The new BIOS basically blocks batteries without a lenovo chip
What da fugg.

>Basically it's just Lenovo being assholes
Does BIOS signing have anything to do with security at all? For example, does it prevent malware or exploits affecting the BIOS or firmware at all?

Basically just watch this
youtube.com/watch?v=doEZMNXz1JY

Bump

>tfw my t410 died after 8 years of service
>don't want to buy a new laptop because they're all shit, intel vulnerabilities, and 10nm/7nm coming soon
>kind of need a laptop right now

T440

>hyperthreaded i5 or i7, possible to put a quad in.
>some come with a 730m
>1600x900
>space for up to 3 drives

Usually find them for 300 or so on Ebay

I got a t440 with the HD screen, 8gb of ram, and 128ssd for $210. Wtf are you doing with these priced

>fast
anything with an SSD will be fast enough

>xx20
>ugly keyboard
lolwut

get ivy bridge minimum
avoid sandy meme since it's cucked much more

US has no VAT.

>what are taxes

theft