/sqt/ Stupid Question Thread

Stupid question thread.
Ask your stupid questions here.

>Read

>search
>ddg.gg/lite

>redirect anons making their own threads with >GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>Windows questions?
>Where can I get Win10 LTSB?
>How do I activate Win10/Win7?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7
>Last thread:

Attached: 39.jpg (1000x1000, 115K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/cjXEcTVT
pir.org/products/find-a-registrar/
itsfoss.com/apt-command-guide/
sourceforge.net/projects/windows-10-lite/files/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

pastebin.com/cjXEcTVT
how to use this Jow Forums theme or, how to convert it to work with Stylish?

How do I use Icecat on Linux Mint? I downloaded and unpacked the archive but I don't know how to start it. On all the Ubuntu wikis they say to just run the "Icecat" file in the folder but there isn't any. I feel stupid as fuck.

Alright, i am writing out of desperation due to me trying everything, and nothing helps.

I got a GTX1060 6GB and an i5-7500

Before the newest windows update, my CPU and GPU was fine. However after the update, my CPU in certain games such as For Honor, Battlefield 4 or R6S suddenly jumps to a 100% usage.

This has resulted in my FPS dropping from 120-130 in most games to 60-80 FPS at most.

I have tried everything, i mean everything. Reinstalled the drivers, reinstalled my windows, checked for rootkits, malware, viruses, cleaning out my desktop with compressed air. You name it, i went through everything. Even tried different cables for my 144hz monitor. Nothing helps, my CPU is 100% in a lot of games and my FPS is lower than avarage.

If anyone has any answer to my issues, at all. I would welcome it with open arms.

Attached: 33202504_1554832654627439_5653974336629899264_n.jpg (500x549, 19K)

Why aren't you installing it via your package manager?

What is the best .org registrar if i want to create a Jow Forums clone to post my stuff in? Are there some good resources to read up on this topic?
pir.org/products/find-a-registrar/

>listen to one iron maiden song which I haven't done in months
>lie down in bed and check instagram
>first thing I see is an iron maiden ad
are (((they))) tracking me lads or is it purely coincidental?

Attached: 1515105724065.gif (257x212, 2.91M)

Because I don't know how

Most likely (((them)))

They listen and watch.
You thought we were joking about the botnet?

Do programming socks actually work ?

In your case
sudo apt install icecat
should install IceCat. If (for some reason) the package has a slightly different name use
apt search icecat
to search your distro's repo for the word icecat, find out what the package is really called and then use its real name with the first command.

Also take a look at this guide: itsfoss.com/apt-command-guide/
Package managers are one of Linux's big pros. You should only install software manually, if it's a) not in your distro's repository or b) you need a newer version than provided by your distro's repository.

How many watts for a consumer UPS would i need to keep a router/modem combo from actiontek on battery backup for 24 hours?

What's the scriptiest way to program something on Android? No verbosity.
Something like a CLI.
(I don't much know Java, but here's some pseudocode):

import System.Devices.*

class Meme{
public static main(){ //void?
fstream(Devices.Camera.Open.Feed(mp4), "output.mp4"));
}
}

I mean, just to print some basic text is lots of line of code, and i don't intend "written by myself",

Like, what's the EASIEST way to printf, without a GUI?

How fucked am I if I buy a shady looking phone battery from china?
My Blackberry Priv's battery inflated and isn't working as well, but there aren't any OEM batteries available.

shouldn't be too fucked. pretty much all batteries come from china anyways. knowing the chinese they've probably centralized production and just slap different brand labels on them as they come off the line

XigmaNAS

only thing I can think of is it's likely an nfs issue. if you don't have it install it, if ya do then try installing and setting up samba. I got out of the box connectivity with rockstor, though the plugins are limited

How do I use this sourceforge.net/projects/windows-10-lite/files/ with windows already installed?

>XigmaNAS
nas4free changed their name?
Try searching for nas4free user permissions.

test

Is Go a meme language or is it actually worth learning?

Whats a good micro atx case that can house at least 2xhdd?

Almost all of them can house two HDDs.

The best registrar is whoever is cheapest. You can get free DNS with Cloudflare and then use whatever you like for hosting.
Get some and find out!
Isn't FreeNAS a fork of nas4free? He should really install that instead - they have very good documentation.

Firefox 60 (new ESR) is too fast. What do I do?

yeah it's a fork, If I remember right the main reason for forking was nas4free went zfs only

This is me, am i thinking "wrong"?

Architecture->Kernel->AbstractKernel(To Communicate with actual Kernel)->AndroidUserspace

I can't be bothered to read samsung kernel to simply access the webcam feed even tho, seems simplier this way, than hundres of lines of code with graphics and resources.

FreeNAS is ZFS. It's from the Oracle devs/engineers that created it. I don't know the history of nas4free, but if it's a fork, I'd like to know why and who did it.

if you haven't heard anyone reputable talking about it outside of Jow Forums then it's just a meemee

What's the new hip way to pirate? Last I heard was popcorn time but is there anything easier/newer?

All you can do is wait for the next windows update and hope it fixes it. A windows update caused all kinds of glitches in private server clients I use, strangely a couple don't require passwords anymore which makes you think...

Need to figure out what kind of connector these are and where to get replacements.

Attached: image.jpg (1080x1080, 1.47M)

Attached: image.jpg (1080x1080, 771K)

>What's the new hip way to pirate?
Just search for whatever your looking for on google with intext:btih

it's an easy version of c, it tries to be simple but also has null and retarded error handling
if you're coming from something like java/c# or a scripting language it might not be terrible

Bought a new phone but whenever I try to use clover or clover Dev on WiFi it just times out with a network error each time. The only way I can use either app is on data. My old phone can use both apps fine on WiFi. I had a look on Google and found one other person with the issue but it was never resolved. What can I do?

what's the MOST minimal Linux distribution that's not "build-your-own"

try lubuntu

something like alpine linux

ubuntu
most minimal to setup and use. That's what really matters.

and just to clarify there's probably more minimal embedded distros but they won't be mainstream, alpine is at least sane and has mainstream adoption since it makes for a good distro to use in containers and vms

basically any netinstall

>quad core without HT in 2018

Attached: c28.png (996x868, 599K)

Help?

Okay so I have no idea what to do anymore, So i'm moving to aus and im bringing most of my setup with me, but heres the problem I'm having, I have a CHG90 monitor that I no longer have the box for and im having trouble finding a box that will safely protect my monitor, I'v even called samsung. I know how stupid this sounds but I have no clue what to do.

Attached: s-l1000.jpg (1000x562, 80K)

custom cut styrofoam or that packing foam they use for like gun cases and such?

Well, i got what i got when i bought it. However i am boung to purchase an intel i7 sooner or later. The question is which one it shall be.

All the autists here have disabled HT because the government is actively hacking them.

figure out the power draw for your router/modem and use one of the hundreds of calculators for ups time
nobody can help unless you post how much power they're using, giving the brand doesn't really say anything

The device is stated as using 12-30 watts
>calculators
They all want you to waste time putting in their personal ups and then pick models from a drop down, yet they are like 20 years old and using old shitty dsl modems instead of fiber or even copper

Wrap it with bubble wrap and a huge fluffy blanket

Damn small linux

how do i learn how to make mods like this?

Attached: lf8mntD[1].jpg (4608x3456, 2.83M)

Is there a standard way to write inverse filepaths?

Take ~\Desktop\Anime. Is there a way to notate Anime/Desktop/~, denoting the parent directories of the preceding term?

Currently for internal purposes I use: Electrical_Engineering--Engineering--Applied_Science--Science--Academic_Discipline--Education--Root

I call, "--" a Tic-Tac!

Is a masters degree in CS / Infosec even worth it for me?

Current situation

>Cloud Engineer at 92k/year doing R&D work in Cloud Engineering / DevSecOps
>No desire to pursue management but would like to become architect level or enterprise architect.
> B.S. Information Systems & Minor Infosec
> 5 years xp
>Started masters in cybersecurity (First semester) after being out of school for 5 years, so far the material has been brainlet level or outdated (i.e. still teaching silo'd methods within enterprises).

Is it worth it Jow Forums ?

Attached: brother-hh.jpg (3000x2008, 1.09M)

What antivirus to put on a normies computer so they don't fuck it up. ideally minimally affecting performance, running windows 10. thox

Windows Defender

No, thats retarded

will windows defender still work, using an unauthorized copy, and using a de-spyifyer?

What in the world is this?

Attached: 20180911_171920.jpg (3264x2448, 2.75M)

>de-spyifyer?
You're using Windows.

vibrator power plug on a shitty chink mousepad

cute drawing of me

Im want to try using a vpn but Im running into an error while trying to install the Mullvad app.

"Fatal error during driver installation: Failed to parse virtual adapter data: Unable to look up virtual adapter using WMI"

I contacted their support but figured I'd ask here if its something on my end.

grow up

I haven't even had time to eat today and I'm losing my fucking mind with this.

How do I force windows to install windows 10 HOME instead of windows 10 PRO during install? Everything I've tried doesnt work and it doesn't fucking activate for windows 10 pro

by changing installation media? you need a home iso for home and a pro iso for pro..

am i allowed to quote myself and say based ?

based

based

Attached: 1448755508798.jpg (1200x1500, 309K)

>using an unauthorized copy
Yes, if you acquired it the way OP link suggests and not via some malware ridden torrent.

>and using a de-spyifyer
That could mean many, many things. Some tools include the option to shoot down defender, so depending on what options you picked it might no longer be in there.

So I have this broken microphone cable and I'm not sure how to fix it.In it are a red cable, a blue cable, a green cable that's complete disconnected but I can't see any copper between the cloth at all (but it seems connected to the PCB at the other end),and a bunch of "loose" copper strings. Any help on fixing this?

Attached: 20180912_024328[1].jpg (3264x1836, 1.77M)

Should I run away from university and try to get a job or freelance or something? I'm studying software engineering, 3 out of 4 years deep

>get fucked in the ass by group project that runs full year, turned into web development which none of our group had experience with so was full of poor decisions and hacky code
>juggling research assistant job, getting massively behind
>feel totally overloaded with open ended assignments I cannot devote as much passion to as I want to because I have other things to do
>similarly hate having 6-7 things to do at once, would prefer fewer projects on my mind at once

It's really getting to me, I feel like a fucking insectman. But I think I have no skills that would let me survive on the market.

No you don't, windows 10 boot drives contain multiple versions of windows 10

BASSED

I should also add that more than anything I'm pissed off that nothing I am doing feels high quality, everything feels rushed and hacked

Do those activation keys for Windows 10 on Ebay and key sites actually work?

Any downside to using them?

Is there a free copy anywhere?

>everything feels rushed and hacked
How is getting a job going to change that?

I want to get good at one thing and do it instead of learning three different frameworks/patterns at once

get bachelors degree and take your time getting it

Best android Chan browser app?

If I were to make a tor exit node/bridge with a raspberry pi or something similar, could I be the only person to use it or would it be shared with other tor users?

>don't have hobbies

Ya survived three, ya can survive one more. Otherwise you've just wasted three years of the prime of your life.

Speaking as an old fart, trust me, that 20-30 decade is critical. Fuck that up and it's near impossible to go back and fix.

Attached: 1xap5q.jpg (444x606, 33K)

Plenty of time to get good at one thing after you get your degree.

Also, get some help - clearly you're not in a real good state of mind if you even have to ask such a question. The logical answer is obvious - you want someone to convince you to take the bad decision.

Jow Forumsmicrosoftsoftwareswap

test

Attached: 6759104.png (267x200, 74K)

Why do 32bit programs have to be emulated to run on a 64bit OSes?
I thought 64bit architecture is backwards compatible with 32bit so that the 32bit code can run on 64bit cpu

Who is this guy?

I've taken a picture of the copper and the 4 cables in question. I can re-solder the copper easy, but the colored ones seem to not have any wire in them, only this thin cotton-like stuff. so I'm not sure what to do. Can anybody help a dummy out?

Attached: 20180912_031753[1].jpg (3264x1836, 1.63M)

Anyone?

Attached: 1526924384203.jpg (370x699, 34K)

>Childrens' video games are a hobby
pokemon is epic!!!

his name is robert paulson

How do I generate hash codes of binary files?
I want to save a file with a security code that ensures the file wasn't modified externally.
Is there common procedure to do this?

please respond

Is there a way to stop Windows 10 from constantly deleting the thumbnail cache?

Attached: 1508613379640.jpg (337x290, 56K)

Ubuntu or Fedora for someone currently on Windows 10 and wants to try something else?

FYI I give zero shits about "muh freedomz" so keep that in mind. I tried MINT but thought it was gay.

Are you trying to build a server?
If no, use Ubuntu.

>but the colored ones seem to not have any wire in them
they do; they are thin copper wires covered in enamel insulation
you have to remove it to be able to solder them
you can to that with a lighter, but be careful because those wires are so thin you will burn the copper quickly. Then clean it carefully from soot first with fine sand paper or an edge of the knife, then with alcohol.
when soldering always make sure everything is clean because metal oxides, soot, fat from your hands or other residues will prevent solder to bound
before soldering to a pcb you might want to first twist and pretin the tips of the wires
>only this thin cotton-like stuff
this cotton strand is for reinforcing the wire, because they are weak when pulling along their axis
>broken microphone cable
a microphone usually needs just two wires, because it's mono. You have 4 wires because it's a headset cable (mono microphone + stereo headphones)
those "loose" copper strings are almost certainly your ground which is shared between your microphone and two channels of your headphones
I'm not sure if there's a rule which channel is red and which is blue (in my headset blue is left) and if there is such an universal rule, so you should take a multimeter, set it to continuity test mode and check for yourself

Ubuntu