Why should I use anything else?

Why should I use anything else?

Attached: 2000px-Debian-OpenLogo.svg.png (2000x2642, 166K)

Experimenting? Fun?

Debian is pretty boring senpai, makes for great servers.

If you like it, stay with it. Personally I like having newer software versions.

Arch User Repository

I wonder what manner of retards or trolls keep making these posts, and for what purpose. Go ahead, call me seething.

>seething

I'm fucking around with a sid VM hosted on a sid PC ATM and all my shit is natted to the interbutts with stretch fuck the police

You want any recent software without causing your package manager to fucking implode

Gentoo actually requires less work than compiling current software on Debian

Having to compile every program you want to use doesn't sound like fun.

>Other desktop environments not available in Debian include Unity (1 2), Pantheon, ROX, Equinox/EDE, Étoilé, CDE, Artemis, Durden, Trident, Lumina and others.

INTO THE TRASH IT GOES

I have to compile a package that is not in sid maybe twice a year and I've seen Debian systems go through several stable releases (ie decades) /wo a reinstall

>Using a DE

Attached: 1427924911762.jpg (1044x504, 317K)

Got me good.

It takes all of 2 minutes for everything that isnt Xorg, and you get to make sure it only includes what you want AND never have to worry about package management shitting the fucking bed because the maintainers decided you can only have version X without breaking the rest of the system.
I used debian for 3 years before getting fucking sick of having to hack unstable repos in only to have stable break as a result.

>having to hack unstable repos in only to have stable break as a result.
>mixing stable with unstable
oh shit nigger what are you doing? thats two branches apart!

there is a testing branch in between and documentation strongly discourages mixing stable and unstable (why would you ever even want that? use testing mixed with unstable instead)
why do niggers never read documentation?

>tfw the kids on Jow Forums actually fall for this meme
LMAO
t. posted from debian with firefox 62.0 released 6 days ago

Attached: 1528629927919.png (2000x2477, 330K)

Testing is still many versions behind and just as liable to break shit.
Apt works nice if you dont need updated versions of things but it fucking sucks asshole at not constantly causing problems for itself.

Debian is great as long as you never want anything debian says you cant have. Its fucking retarded otherwise. Apt is worse than yum.

Wow its almost like thats not a package anything depends on so you can install any version without consequence! Amazing!
You stupid fuck

>using new versions of Firefox

I CAN ONLY USE 52 ESR BECAUSE MY OBSCURE EXTENSIONS NEVER GOT UPDATED

>Apt is worse than yum.
elaborate pls I've last used CentOS 4 years ago and I didnt see much difference

OpenSUSE works for me, why should I fuck with debian, that doesn't have brightness control OOB?

Brainlet

nothing
there is literally no reason, is not the package manager. Is the devs that make weird default dependency trees sometimes and retards don't know aptitude. I actually want to give red hat a try, how's your experience with centos? I want to use it for my laptop it doesn't need new kernel versions or anything extra ordinary, just bumblebee support if I ever use cuda

And why should I bother with desbian?
OpenSUSE works.

this, been using it on my servers for 5 years. by far the least bloated, easy to use, stable os

>It just werks xD

Because drivers and hardware/codec support suck in Debian?

Not really

I really dont know much about RedHat distros but I think Fedora is decent these days

>hurr I don't know how to edit mirrors nor read a manual

>goalshifting and insults
every time

really? give me an example

my point was that if you want to mix in unstable, you have to use testing
you shouldnt mix stable and unstable, the difference in the base system is too big

if you want to have better conflict resolution, use aptitude, it gives you options how to resolve a conflict to choose from (seems to be much better than what other distros have)

Software from this century

aptitude used to be installed by default it is good

WHY ISN'T THERE ONE OF THESE FOR KYOUKO?

Attached: kyouko wall paper.png (1920x1080, 543K)

Just a quick list of things that didn't work when I installed Debian:
> WiFi
> Sound through earphones
> Flash
> Full-screen animation
> Sleep mode
> DOSBox
> Playing DVDs
The end result was I could never use Debian as a main OS and had to continue using my Macbook most of the time if I wanted to actually get anything done.

Uses linux not for function but for ricing

Keep in mind this was back in 2010 though. It's possible Debian has improved its driver and codec support since then.

you shouldn't, debian is the peak of GNU/Linux

Attached: debianrem.png (3840x2160, 2.39M)

Tech illiterate retard.

I've seen a Debian dev try to install it on a cheap gaming laptop it was p funny we couldnt get the nvidia graphics to display anything
IDK if Fedora or Ubuntu would have helped in that case

Firmware missing in the official ISO is also p clowny

what the fuck kind of graphics card did it have?

>he wants some shit DE in his SO

Attached: 1536672392827.png (638x359, 408K)

no idea maybe it was NVIDIA Optimus
laptop was cheap MSI or something like that

I don't have the patience for that stuff. Hell, I didn't even read the directions when I installed Slackware back in 2016. I did it through pure guesswork.

It hasn't. It's still complete trash.

IDK about stable but sid has a fairly recent ffmpeg/mpv
The nvidia driver in sid/non-free last time I checked tracks nvidia stable branch.
It's not that bad

I run testing on my desktop but have been considering switching over to unstable. Just worried I'll have to frequently deal with package breakages when I just wanna use my desktop, but at the same time, Debian unstable is still Debian, so I doubt it'd be that extreme.

all of those work on debian of course

maybe you are a brainlet and didnt read the documentation on how to install software?

They need everything done by a wizard. Ppl these days only know how to configure ricing on gnu desktops

It will break eventually use apt-listbugs (and bugs.debian.org)

I cant find the debian bug numbers but I've had freezes at boot because there wasn't enough entropy for the kernel RNG and the fix was to install rng5-tools (waiting for minutes at boot before getty and gdm/lightdm start is not fun)

Is this a joke?

because i don't want systemd cancer in my system. Install devuan instead.

>systemd
>horrifically out of date packages
>less shit working on install than anything else
Gee I wonder OP

>horrifically out of date packages
where do these retards come from? do they get their knowledge of linux unironically from Jow Forums?

I could create one, but you'll have to accept that it's made with adobe photoshop CC on Windows 10

I could allow this, the Debian logo is too circular for GIMP to handle anyway I believe.

Software is being developed faster than ever before. Debian's release model is no longer viable.

I'm too lazy to lookup the Debconf18 talk, but some asian dude explains how he's designing a modular OS to run all the infrastructure of some eastern asia country, based on Debian

So sure Debian is not for everyone but it's good enough for a lot use cases

because systemd

how it will break when it's always up to date? even sid isn't truly bleeding edge because packages show up around 4-5 days late.

Manjaro

It doesn't break that often but it can break hard, that's why it's called sid (I'm not talking about testing)

It doesn't matter how long a package takes to reach the archive if the dev who uploaded it made a mistake

Is someone here running Debian Sid? Can you please output the contents of your lsb release file?

Arch users are retarded

DEVUAN

>not using AppImage, Snappy and Flatpak
I shiggy diggy.

systemd

Don't reply the lsb faggot. He got at least 50 (You)s in fglt, including some solutions and he still keeps spamming.