Discord

Why do you have such a hater boner for discord Jow Forums?
If you dont like it, don't use it, don't talk about it. The more you talk about it, the more you give it attention, the more people are going to check it out.

Attached: 1518034283383.png (900x660, 160K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=F0aoxgtoQZw&
discordapp.com/privacy)
spyware.neocities.org/articles/discord.html
discordapp.com/hypesquad
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

On the surface? Privacy concerns.
In reality?
Jow Forums hates change
They follow the "a new generation of users for any new methodology or technology, no matter how superior, to be adopted" rule.
Jow Forums actually hates technological progress.

>technological progress
code-word for "fuck the users, they don't know any better"

technological progress:
>6GHz CPUs
>8K 240hz resolution TVs/monitors
>robot wives

not technological progress:
>discord integrated into your CPU
>facebook integrated into your TV
>government surveillance integrated into your operating system

>don't talk about it!
>starts a thread to talk about it

But they don't. Think about it. A discord user is not necessarily a tech savvy weeaboo like you, rather a normie gaymur xdd.
I see no reason to hate it really.

Attached: FITT.jpg (752x1063, 107K)

Discord is /v/-tier Zoomerware.

They hate that it displaced IRC and now they have no one to bully.

Botnet aimed at children

I call them ipad thumpers

Well, not everyone is as indifferent about others as you are
I think it's in their best interest to inform them that they are being used by a botnet

you've got a thin perspective on what you think technological progress is
considering, progress will eventually become completely redefined in a few years. for you to focus on performance only in the tech field is a bit of nuance to your shallow philosophy, there's no solid ground for what you believe in - it's just reactionary to the current field that's out there already.
if you cared about technological progress, you wouldn't be shaming the adoption of a software with such futuristic ease of use. of course, privacy concerns are understandable, taken into account the fact that a company so large at this point is basically required to keel over to government agencies, as well as sell user data for any kind of profit at all (padded by credit card information for 'nitro' users).
however.
it's a genuinely useful software in many contexts. business? slack- a software not too different from discord. per-server security for user control. per-server, per-channel settings for user control. content hosting methods (of course, up to 8mb... more if nitro). immediate sharing capability.
you can argue IRC offers this, but it's not as streamlined into the hyperactive lifestyle of today's society, having to rehost and hotlink with no graphical representation (i.e. thumbnails, embed displays, etc.)

discord is growth, technologically and sociologically. and if you aren't for accelerationism, you're being left behind in the dust, buddy

your entire post looks like it was written by a 16 year old whose first computer was a smartphone

>discord is growth
sure, like a tumor is "growth"
fuck you and your gaymer spyware

Because it's used by faggots. Also, privacy.

>Because it's used by faggots
mostly this

i fucking hate discord, but Dolby Axon got shut down and my friends are tech illiterate faggots

Go shill your botnet someplace else. Only children use discord.

But that's objectively true. If you don't know anything about programming, why the fuck should anyone take your opinion seriously. Most "users" are too fucking stupid to understand such things, and therefore, their opinions can be discarded.

It's free, doesn't have ads and isn't open source....hmmmmm that's not suspicious at all!

Attached: what's a computer.jpg (480x640, 42K)

Every time I used it, every room or whatever they called it was filled with giant fucking faggots. I don't use it because the majority of discord communities and users are fucking obnoxious gaylords.

I liked it until just now when I got suspended for no reason

Discordians are some of the biggest faggots I have ever witnessed. Mostly a bunch of horny awkward ironyfaggot underages that shitpost reddit memes and dumb "l-lewd" memes all the time.
Also the mods are fucking cancer

Attached: 1518850816729.png (1105x1079, 1.31M)

Discord is one of the best communications platform to emerge in quite a while. Why? Containment. Whenever you see a website advocating a Discord channel, you know to avoid it at all cost. Thank you, Discord, for developing this marvelous faggot-warning system.

/thread

>Jow Forums actually hates technological progress.
Why aren't you using XMPP instead of Discord then?

So is Jow Forums

>In reality?
>Jow Forums hates change
No, I hate it when technology is non-free and concentrates power in even fewer people,
and when opportunistic users who advertise it for free.

XMPP can do everything Discord can, and much more, is federated, completely open and free, even works on Tor, supports encrypted chat, even encrypted group chats.

But freedom confuses people.
>What do you mean, XMPP has _actual_ servers with domain names, that talk to each other in a federated manner, like email? Fuck that.
>*links to a Discord "server"*

Attached: 1200px-XMPP_logo.svg.png (1200x1234, 83K)

But senpai! It's more devilish if we just stay silent and raugh!

Attached: 1485647342849.jpg (680x535, 80K)

They are backed by discord nitro, and a LOT I mean a LOT of people have bought into it just to show off that they have a gif as their avatar.

Even if it had ads, there have been people who have figured out how to edit the discord code. It's surprisingly easy to do. When the video chat was coming out, someone said "This is how you open up discord and this is where you put the code" I don't remember the specifics but I did it too. Only a few select amount of people had discord video but when someone figured it out, BAM done.

I see this a lot too, which is why I have left a ton of discords. Most of them, and I hate to admit it are ass's thinking they are funny, but it's like any place, some are ok, this is why I make my own group. The Jow Forums group I was in was one of the worst. constantly acting like they were better than everyone else and spouting memes constantly.

>shilling discord
>non-free
botnet
You don't even know what BOTNET means do you?
A network of private computers infected with malicious software and controlled as a group without the owners' knowledge, e.g., to send spam messages.
Technically, the USERS are botnet, not discord itself.

There are no ads on Jow Forums now or really are in general. Wouldn't that make this place the same?

>discord is growth, technologically and sociologically. and if you aren't for accelerationism, you're being left behind in the dust, buddy
You're not wrong. I think what has happened is that Jow Forumstards think that if it's (non)free that they are up to something even tho about around 90% of the idiots here don't do anything on their computers but game, code and watch anime. They think the gov or big biz cares about them. Get uBlock and you're set. No one cares about what you have to say at the end of the day, don't like the product, don't buy it. Don't want to see an ad? Get a blocker. It's not complicated, but for some reason, Jow Forums has a superiority complex for no reason all because they are redpilled as shit and and read too much into this bullshit. Overtime, you realize as an adult, that if you want to use something you have to make sacrifices. Wanna wear clothes? Can't be naked! wanna eat? Gotta cook or buy something that takes times! See my point, there's a sacrifice to everything bot to Jow Forums if they have to do anything normal it's "Omg fuck you normie! I aint about making my life easy just to watch someone watch me in return!"
but I'm still with you, I do believe that ever since disocrd became a thing, there's been a lot to see with technology

Fuck pff my board, dweeb.

The truth is is that Jow Forums hates anything and everything that’s non-free and has mass appeal. Just for those two reasons alone. It’s autistic.

You ever wonder if at some point, Jow Forums will stop being a child and just like something cause they like it vs being butthurt that everyone else likes it? I don't get why that's a problem.

If this is true, then lowball 25% of Jow Forums should be on permanent rangebans for underage posting. As it should be.

>67565834
You are one stupid motherfucker arent you.

why do you say that?

I literally only use it to take to my irl friends since we're all losers. Better than MMS

The ease of creating a server has made it sort of superfluous. People will create one for literally everything, and what you end up with is a program where you're floating between 200 servers, each one 95% idlers and a handful of people engaging with each other.

Have fun back on r/masterrace or wherever you came from

>superfluous
Did you mean "ubiquitous"?

So this is what a dumb faggot looks like. I've always wondered.

No, I mean the fuckton of servers people create are superfluous, not the application itself.

Being dumb isnt an excuse to botnet the poor normie to death. It has no benefit to the user at all, it's only done to make profit off of them.
Try harder shill faggot

>discord actively reviews all of its users conversations and alludes to what users talk about on their servers to the media
>no one cares what you have to say
>only a truck load of journalists getting nosy as fuck about people who discuss politics in discord.
Can people stop this dumb fuck nigger meme where you try to convince normie that no one cares what they say, and therefore you shouldn't fear the ever expanding botnet?

I literally run a fetish discord filled with a load of everything in there not illegal. If that were true, discord would have deleted my server months ago. We've been running smootly for almost 2 year now. Discord doesn't care. If they do, they only care about the ones that make enough noise to say something

>Technically, the USERS are botnet, not discord itself.
t. newfag

technically with the definition of BOTNET it's not incorrect user

Why not discord?
It's very simple:
- Web based client
- Bloated web based client
- Electron based desktop client
- No support for third party clients
- Requires phone number for random clients for no reason
- If you don't give the phone number (or maybe you don't have a phone number), you're locked out
- Centralised service ran by SJWs
That's my list of reasons for not using discord.

>needing a phone number
no you dont. Only SOME people have turned that on. That's a feature you turn on, not them.

Fucking Telegram asks for a number or you literally can't get on the service at all.

This is incorrect.
I have a discord account begrudgingly to keep in contact with one person and the first thing I had to do was to give my phone number, there were no options to avoid this, this message popped up the second I logged in and I could not use the service without giving them my phone number.
What's more is that I couldn't remove the phone number from their system afterwards.
I also have another discord account for a community which I keep in touch with, when creating that account (using a different email address on my domain) I didn't have to give a phone number.
I don't know what telegram is outside of hearing about it a few times but I don't think claiming that "hey look, some other thing requires your phone number" is a viable excuse for ANY service to require this.

i never gave my phone number once to anything. You are likely in a discord that requires it. check your settings and see if you have "2 step authentication" on.
There's this option for your discord too.

again, that's not true at all.

Attached: 1529174949827.png (687x387, 33K)

You are incorrect.
I made the account without joining any discord servers, it was solely to keep in touch with one friend.
I do not have 2 step authentication enabled.
When I use a third party tool to dump the data that discord has on me, my phone number is visible.
There is no place in the entire interface of settings to get rid of this phone number.
If you don't believe me, go do some research, there are multiple reports of people who had existing discord accounts suddenly get locked out and forced to give their phone number for purposes of "bot detection".

>electron based program
when will these cuck stop bundling every single program with google chrome?

im literally on discord right now, I have made 3 fucking accounts the 3rd was a test for something and I literally, went on browser, typed in an email and went to town. NEVER ONCE fucking asked me for a number you idiot.

I have NEVER been asked for my cell. Where the fuck does it show this. you gotta be a troll at this point

No, he is not. Every account I make/log into from my IP gets blacklisted and I need to input a phone number.

Nobody gives a shit if YOU PERSONALLY didn't need to give your phone number.
It looks like only a small minority of users get hit by this but the fact that it happens at all is complete and utter bullshit, and the fact that you can't get the phone number off the system is just insane.
I am relatively sure that the reason they asked for a phone number for the first of my two accounts was because I had used an email address with a domain they would never have seen before. But this is not an excuse to force me to give them my phone number to use their service.

Because jews.

I've never once done it. I've done it at my mall in the mac store
I did it at Best buy.
all it ever asks me is to check my email and that's on my phone or I can log in. So I don't know where you get this from. All I have ever had to type in is my email and password and BAM I'm done. I'm asking people on discord and everyone is saying that's it's not a requirement. You had to have turned it on. It gives an option at most

Alright fine I'll give you that. This is why I use a lot of different emails for spam. Sense gmail and Live are accepted everywhere, I just use it for business and social media. Aside from that, people know special ways of getting ahold of me. That may explain it. If they've never seen a ridiculous email service before. What is the service you're using by chance?

>What is the service you're using by chance?
I run my own email server.
opensmtpd, dovecot, courier maildrop, dkimproxy and spamassassin are the pieces of software which make it up if you were interested.

I dont know how any of that works but that's pretty coon user

because is easy and user-friendly. You dont need host servers making easy manage communities, this is so damn easy to use compared to Mumble-Ventrilo-Skype. discord ToS allow no-gaming uses, most companies have discord servers.

most people here dont want understand how in Discord it's always like 500 people writing and with genuine discussion, meanwhile Mumble-Ventrilo-Skype you have the same 10 friendless losers idling (or spamming pepe jokes)

Attached: 1526752348947.jpg (1280x720, 69K)

>you can argue IRC offers this, but it's not as streamlined into the hyperactive lifestyle of today's society, having to rehost and hotlink with no graphical representation (i.e. thumbnails, embed displays, etc.)
you don't need a whole new protocol for this, you just need better IRC clients that look prettier
i guarantee you that if discord used IRC in the backend and hosted their own IRC servers and their client was essentially a big fancy IRC client, it would have taken off just as easily

IRC doesn't do voice or server-side channel history.

>post brought to you by Discord's special shill team
Sage, report and hide.

Attached: 1536194320699.png (1255x541, 101K)

>Some niche communities I follow (mostly for discussing obscure vidya and setting up games when the worldwide player count is low) are only on Discord
>I'm aware Discord is trash propietary spyware but normies like it for its convenience features
>Decide to install it and just run it locked away in a firejail instance
>It all werks just fine and it can't spy on what else I'm doing like it does by default
>It notices and asks me if I'll please let it snoop on me

sensible_chuckle.jpg

No bitch, you're staying in that cage.

Attached: rms_snapy.jpg (640x480, 293K)

picrelated

Attached: discord.png (600x300, 9K)

no rly, how do i bypass this [no phono]

voice.google.com make a number there with a fake email. done

I've never seen this before, likely cause I have gmail

how bad the is the discord web version for privacy and spying?
can you use a throwaway email for an account? do you need a phone number?

Get a gmail, live, yahoo, whatever, no on the number. The hipsters here for some reason think they need to use a fucking email server THEY made....

>the more people are going to check it out.
Every teen already knows it.

Discord would be much, much better if not for the horrible UI. IMHO, too much wasted estate on big fonts, redundant photos, spacing; the scaling and dark vs light skin customization is attrocious.

spotted the commie

>taken into account the fact that a company so large at this point is basically required to keel over to government agencies
That's why it's dumb to consolidate all communication under one large entity.
XMPP can do everything Discord can do and doesn't rely on a single entity, but any number of actual servers (not Discord "servers").

I guess some people are ready to give up freedom for convenience and some are not

the moment convenience meets freedom I'm in
but before that, you loose me
sorry

>I guess some people are ready to give up freedom for convenience and some are not
XMPP is free and convenient.

>discord

Attached: discord.png (757x264, 21K)

>it's spyware
>90% of its users are trannies and other kinds of disgusting subhumans

that the view doesn't stick to the bottom like any other chat client bothers me. I don't always notice that the view isn't scrolled to the bottom, so I start typing and replying to posts that were made ages ago.

The whole UI also feels slow and sluggish on my T420 when I'm multitasking. Any other IRC client feels quick and snappy. Doesn't matter now since I don't feel like keeping my account much. Since I joined I've never had a decent conversation with anyone.

Tbh, I bet they meant "discourse" but that doesn't really roll off the tongue.

>Jow Forums is full of dumb conceited faggots, who know shit about programming, the internet, laws or pretty much anything, otherwise they weren't the paranoid fucks they are who only believe the comfortable hive mind contrarianism of some strangers faggots on the internet
Well, damn OP, consider me surprised.

Attached: Ayanei_VR.webm (640x360, 1.64M)

>t. faggot still here
>muh /board/ is SHIT
Every single one of you faggot whiners who constantly make these asshurt posts need to slit your own throats

Attached: 1535411830695.jpg (250x250, 6K)

youtube.com/watch?v=F0aoxgtoQZw&

everytime i've been on discord it was pure cringe. plus i dont want to make an account like a literal r.edditor.

>asshurt nigga tells other asshurt to slit their throats
I wonder who is the bigger asshurt whining faggot here is

Attached: 1506173240394.gif (210x155, 2.48M)

>botnet
>You don't even know what BOTNET means do you?
>A network of private computers infected with malicious software and controlled as a group without the owners' knowledge

the malicious software being discord I must ask... are you stupid or did your mom's boyfriend hit your head when you were a toddler? Because there's no explanation on how you can define what a botnet is and think discord isn't one. And before you try to reply to this, remember that for as long as that shit is open on your computer it is actively collecting info on everything you do and run on it. That's their business model, not selling some Jow Forums pass to a bunch of faggots that go on shilling it like it's the second coming of Jesus

you

Discord explicitly confirms in its privacy policy (discordapp.com/privacy) that it collects the following information:

> · IP Address
> · Device UUID
> · User's e-mail address
> · All text messages
> · All images
> · All VOIP data (voice chat)
> · Open rates for e-mail sent by Discord

Discord does not explictly confirm that it collects this information, but still collects it:

> · All programs that are running on your computer

Sources: spyware.neocities.org/articles/discord.html

Discord useds receive gifts for shilling: discordapp.com/hypesquad

We don't use discord here because this isn't /v/. I would suggest you take your gamer chat over there if you want to shill it successfully. There are three problems preventing it from having appeal beyond gamertards:

1) Client is proprietary electron junk
2) Protocol is proprietary and unstable making third party clients impractical
3) Server is not public so no way to do local deployments

None of these problems are present with IRC, XMPP, Matrix, etc.