Comprehensive guides on staying private on technology/online

Normie (NEET) here with like bare minimum computer/software knowledge. I really want to try and control my privacy better (started caring a bit late I know)
The issue is a lot of the things I use that track my privacy I don't want to give up due to ease of use.
>Like windows for game/program support
>Like steam for gaming convenience
>Like modern computer parts for obvious reasons (heard all cpu since like early 2000 has hardware backdoors)
>Like modern mobile phone for camera and music (admittedly I did prefer 20 dollar nokia phone for simplicity)
>Use chrome, youtube, gmail for convenience
>Don't use standard social media but still use Discord etc
Is it really worth it to give up all this convenience in life for fear of what these private corps do with my stuff?
I have thought of maybe minimizing my use of all the above to just be very reserved and not search anything weird or say or type anything weird.
And then maybe for the stuff I don't want to be in some private companies server somewhere have a computer set up with maximum privacy in mind and watch
what I connect to and do on it so nothing leaks out. Anyone got any guides on all this or can give me advice.

Attached: 1528580940969.jpg (800x608, 74K)

Other urls found in this thread:

prism-break.org/en/
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Main_Page
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Caring about your privacy is for retards
Nothing bad is going to happen to you

Yeah it's not worth it, there are a million things more important to care about in anyone's life.
Just don't do anything illegal and don't say anything you would be too uncomfortable about if it was shown in front of a judge or people you know.

Maybe its because I am paranoid but I worry about security breaches and data leaks. Seems that's something that happens every now and then in large leaks. Admittedly as a person with no life such a thing wouldn't effect me as much if my stuff got leaked but I still just don't like this feeling.
Its like having someone follow you around everywhere you go in life recording everything you say and do or writing it down, building a profile, just feels wrong to dismiss that.

I could just continue using this stuff and limit my internet/online/computer use to only things I would do in public spaces. Would that be a better idea?
If so what would be the recommended way to get a "fresh start" so to speak on the internet?

You can give up SOME of the things you do for privacy reasons, you don't have to give up all of it inless you're an autist. Of what you listed, chrome, youtube, and gmail are pretty easy to fix/replace. Firefox is very nearly as good as chrome, just install it, configure privacy settings, and put on ublock so the ads can't track you. Gmail you can just replace with Protonmail, it's not as bad as Jow Forums would have you believe and for youtube just dl the vids with youtube-dl if you don't want to be tracked. Startpage is basically google but private, so you can use that when you want to search something weird, and if you don't put your real name on any of your user accounts it shouldn't really matter what you type. Just replace most of the software you use with free/open source software in general and you should see a pretty big privacy boost

prism-break.org/en/ has a list of a bunch of more private software you can use, and our wiki is probably worth a look as well wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Main_Page

you're a paranoid fuck
stop taking drugs
so long as you have a consistent IP address people are building a profile of you (and sometimes even if you don't)

You could pay for a vpn ( PIA is a pretty good one) and use it all the time and that would solve a lot of your problems

>Fully encrypt your HD
>Fully encrypt any personal files
>Ungoogled chromium
>Qubes OS + whonix running in VM
>Create proxyham to steal someone's wifi
>Physically remove webcam and microphone from your computer
>Place computer, phone, etc. in a faraday bag when not in use
>Disable javascript
>Change computer's MAC address
>Create your own VPN (or use Mullvad if you're lazy)
>always have thermite on hand

FUCK
I JUST WROTE A WALL OF TEXT FOR YOU EXPLAING A SHIT TON OF BASICS AND MY COMPUTER FUCKING CRASHED WHILE I WAS WRITING IT

Long story short: Privacy is a good and healthy thing, don’t be discouraged. is based. Uhm, use GNU/Linux, preferably Mint 19 Cinnamon since you’re really new and probably used to Windows. Proton exists and solves your Steam gaming problem. Ditch Google and Facebook. And I was wondering if I could keep in contact with you because I’m big on security and privacy and was wondering if I could kinda just tell you everything you’d need to know and we could learn together, ya know?

Arch user?

Me? Nah.
I’m a freak. I run a live boot of Qubes OS on a 64gb flash drive, with Xubuntu and Windows 7 Home Premium as OSs for the VMs on my desktop and Mint 19 Cinnamon on my laptop.

What about you? You use Arch?
t.

>Want privacy
>Don't want to make changes to your entertainment to have it
What was the point of this thread if all you're going to do is say you want privacy but dont want to put any effort into it?

No I'm not a masochist

Thanks for advice I will read into these things.

Its more like I just want privacy for things I wouldn't want to be available to public eyes.
If the public knows I played bad rats or something I don't care but sometimes like all people I have private or morally ambiguous interactions online.
I could I guess just stop doing that but it would be annoying.
I do kinda care about ad-profiling but if I could put a number on that my cares to give would be like 3/10.
My cares of every private conversation or weird thing I searched or looked up or my location at any given time I care like 8/10 know what I mean?

No.

Being a neet, you have far worse things to worry about

the most you can do is lie about all of your details, keep photos of yourself off, tell friends/family not to tag you in shit and access facebook through TOR/vpn whatever the fuck.
Who cares you're in the botnet just deal with it.

>Normie (NEET) here with like bare minimum computer/software knowledge.
Well then your first step is moving from bare minimum computer/software knowledge.

>The issue is a lot of the things I use that track my privacy I don't want to give up due to ease of use.
>>Like windows for game/program support
>>Like steam for gaming convenience
>>Like modern computer parts for obvious reasons (heard all cpu since like early 2000 has hardware backdoors)
>>Use chrome, youtube, gmail for convenience
literally me

Only pedophiles or human trafickers are so afraid of being tracked. Are you a pedo user?

Businesses and the government also do not like being tracked. And you haven't posted your home address with a timestamp. Why is that? Are you selling humans into sex slavery?

>Caring about your privacy is for retards
>Nothing bad is going to happen to you

*probably, but maybe not

This is also true of smoking cigarettes, driving buzzed, trying cocaine, ignoring your seatbelt, swimming in a lightning storm, barebacking strangers, and many other things. You'll probably be fine. But maybe not.

yeah I am going to change all my online stuff to not use my name and if something does I will only use it sparingly
thus why I came to Jow Forums, I mean all I can do is assemble a PC and use it I wouldn't mind more knowledge beyond that.
I'm paranoid schizophrenic who just doesn't like the idea of some yuppies in big companies or gov having a file on me of everything ive ever done.

Everyone saying "it dont matter you worry to much" you might be right but refer to

Attached: dknlAcYORHpwzxsh7PirNDtVFRqdU14omEc4KGJLEU0.jpg (960x1008, 132K)

>don't say anything you would be too uncomfortable about if it was shown in front of a judge or people you know

What a sad pathetic life.

privacytools.io