Slow as fuck encoding speed. So slow it's not worth it

>slow as fuck encoding speed. So slow it's not worth it.
>1.0 is out and its not much better than HEVC
>predicts another 18 months is needed for AV! to even be commercially feasible, and even that is not ideal.

streamingmedia.com/Articles/Editorial/Featured-Articles/AV1-A-First-Look-127133.aspx

AV! is officially shit.

We will be using H264 for at least 8 more years before it goes the way of H263.

Attached: 1200px-AV1-logo.png (1200x554, 56K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=R-uDB88ZdU4
youtube.com/watch?v=F1B9Fk_SgI0
streamingmedia.com/Articles/Editorial/Featured-Articles/AV1-A-First-Look-127133.aspx
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'll leave it here.

Attached: 117646OzerAV1Fig2.pngORG.png (1010x620, 47K)

>literally 1% improvement

you could say the same about x265 vs x264

Except neither of them have the problems of AV1.

x265 had terrible encode speeds when it was released too, and everything that wasn't a desktop struggled to decode it. also, to this day it only is barely better than a 10-year-old codec while taking at least twice the encode time lmao.

>and everything that wasn't a desktop struggled to decode it
that's literally a feature

Look at the bitrate needed to achieve the same VMAF rating.

the point isn't 1-2% better "quality" at a given size, it's that the same metric results can be generated with 30-50% less data size, assuming 9 gorillion times more compute time is thrown at it at least.

kek

>For those with TL;DR tendencies, here’s the net/net. Though AV1’s quality was impressive, encoding times are simply too long for all but the very tippy top of the VOD pyramid. If your videos aren’t watched millions of times, AV1 encoding is unaffordable.

oh well might as well finally clone and compile, check out and compare ie this
youtube.com/watch?v=R-uDB88ZdU4

It's AV1 not AV!
idiot

>x265 was always fast at encoding

BAWHAHAHWHAH when it was released even the high end servers caught fire trying to encode it, you degenerate.
go back

ehh i think u replied to the wrong post

> >slow as fuck encoding speed
Experimental. VP9 encoding was slow af one or two years ago too, now it can utilize, albeit not load them completely, all 8 threads of my CPU.

nope, back to l3ddit you go

even x264 doesn't use my full CPU on 8 core 16 threads
it uses maybe 70% of each core. and during first pass it only uses like 40%
(ffmpeg btw) but doesn't change regardless of handbrake or anything else.

Vhite Male Asian Female rating?

>reading comprehension

it's not like encoding can be perfectly parallelized... even 70% load across all 16 threads is pretty good.

Yea I got no complaints on it, I usually encode 4 things at once anyway and that does 100% easy.

! is a capital 1
>AV!
>I'm only pretending to be retarded.

In the time it took to read this thread I ffmpeg encoded 42 frames @ 0.2 frames per second.
-q:v 0
1080p scaled to 360p

commit not feel so good

Attached: tumblr_inline_oy095y8pYV1s3cj0w_540.png (540x405, 362K)

>So, while the overall quality difference may be minor on generally easy-to-encode videos, AV1 should be able to cut the overall data rate and preserve the quality in hard-to-encode sequences within these clips .

Anyone know where to download 1080p or higher res AV1 videos to try out? I wanna see if my CPU can handle 1080p real time decode of AV1.

This is apparently one of the first YT videos to get AV1 versions up to 1080p
youtube.com/watch?v=F1B9Fk_SgI0

Hmm, getting stuttering with MVP, but CPU utilization is under 15%, and GPU utilization under 5%.

I don't think the decoder yet handles multi-threading.

720p playback is flawless, but 1080p is stuttering like crazy, weird.

Only really hammering a single core as well, so I suspect that's why.

Yeah, that's what i'm seeing on my end

720p through MVP hits ~10-12% CPU use on a 5820k.

720p through MVP with 60fps w/ SVP hits 18-22% CPU use.

720p with 144fps w/ SVP hits 28% CPU use, but skips frames every few seconds.

>those spergs arguing h265 vs av1
why no vp9?

Because libvpx is shit and at the same time the only non-commercial VP9 encoder.

Because AV1 started as VP10 and a few other codec projects that were all consumed and merged into one, and now no one cares about VP9.

So you think rav1e will be fast and feature complete enough to compete with x265?

>muh encoding speed
I'm sure you're not just some autist who does things with their life.

Only one video in all of Youtube has av1 versions? wtf

ITT corelets

Too soon to judge. I do hope that AV1 will not suffer the same fate as VP8/VP9, where google just says "Fuck it. Good enough for us." and stops caring about improving the technology. Already having an alternative to libaom is definitely a good first step, but I'm still wary.

They started adding AV1 versions just a few days ago. See this thread . Anons speculated that they first do it for stuff like Vevo videos. Perhaps there are more now.

It's only worthwhile CPU time-wise to do it on more popular videos that they expect to garner 100M+ views.

It took 2 days after the 480p version was uploaded until the 1080p version went up, that was almost certainly due to encode time.

oh ok

H.265/HEVC encoding was also extremely slow when it was first released. Encoder optimization takes time.

>I JUST WANT MORE OPUS SUPPORT

Attached: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH (260x260, 22K)

Where do you want Opus support? It's used in Youtube and most streaming services already. It's also used by voice chat applications, and every music player worth using supports it as well, even in fucking iOS and MacOS.

there's plenty

>libvpx is just as good as x265
freedom respecting movie piracy when?

AV1 is open source too bud.

>We will be using H264 for at least 8 more years before it goes the way of H263.
Streaming for modern devices will be moving onto AV1 if things develop as intended, and Blu-Ray will keep HEVC alive for a while as well.

H264 however will never be abandoned by the piracy scene, at this rate. And it will keep being used for streaming on old devices.

Enjoy your YIFY quality YouTube...

>Enjoy your 10/10 quality
sounds awesome

If the AV1 encode is sped up by a factor of ~10,000-20,000, we might see pirates switch over.

But realistically, it's just not gonna make much sense for pirate distributors to encode at AV1 since they just need it uploaded once and from there P2P takes care of the rest.

If you're the sole provider of the content however, then AV1 makes more sense, which is why we'll primarily see use on large streaming platforms, youtube, hulu, netflix, amazon, etc

They can dedicate a lot more hardware to encode somewhat quickly, and since they don't utilize p2p distribution, the file size savings from AV1 will actually translate into massive bandwidth savings over millions of views.

When's AVIF?

>frame= 2179 fps=0.3 q=-0.0 size= 3338kB time=00:01:12.77 bitrate= 375.7kbits/s speed=0.00842x

Holy fuck you are not meming this shit is slow, actually not running with multiple threads here... but still ffs!

>and from there P2P takes care of the rest
and how many people will download a 90gb h.264 4k film? no one

So basically AV1 is only worth it if you own a high end epyc server farm and even then that will only be able to do 480p video in real time?

Attached: 117645-Ozer-AV1-Table1.png-ORG.png (605x241, 17K)

It's also like 10,000 slower than VP9. I'm not that freetarded m8.

We already have pirates using h265 for that.

UHD 4k remuxes are ~45-75 GB currently.

Attached: 2018-07-07 19_21_14.png (1559x307, 52K)

x265 was slow as fuck too (and still is) but it got much better. I can only assume AV1 will get significantly faster too as it gets developed.

We'll be dead by then. Daala has an infinite wait time right now. It might not be ready until the heat death of the universe.

>If the AV1 encode is sped up by a factor of ~10,000-20,000, we might see pirates switch over.
They didn't switch to VP9 when libvpx stopped sucking so much. So no, basically, AV1 will not be used by the scene. Neither its potential successors. It's not a codec meant for storage.

HEVC is being used for UHD Blu-Ray scene rips, so at least they are not crazy enough to still use H264 past 1080p. And it's a sure bet that they will adopt VVC (aka h266) once that's out for 8k movies.

Daala doesn't have Apple, Google, Amazon, Netflix, Intel, Nvidia, Facebook etc etc etc funding it.

>h-hey these corporate cock puppets said they'll back it up
>t-trust then guis!

Attached: Screenshot_2018-09-12-20-17-08(1).jpg (802x670, 188K)

>The AV1 encode took 62 hours and 48 minutes, which was 45,216 times longer than real time
62 (NEARLY 63) FUCKING HOURS TO ENCODE A 5 SECOND CLIP

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST AV1 IS A TOTAL WRECK

Daala development stopped and most of its techniques were implemented in AV1.

Thor, VP10 and Daala have all been dropped and virtually merged into AV1. When will people stop thinking either of the three will ever come out?

>no one
What planet do you come from?

Bitstream was frozen just a couple months ago, you can't expect developers to crank out optimizations that fast

Give it time, just like h265

>Q1 2018 or older chips
>Supporting a format that was finalized in fucking June 2018
user, you should check a doctor. You may be retarded.

To be fair once CRF 22-28 4K rips come out hopefully done with a 10-bit precision encoder we'll have those become mainstream for phones.

>d-don't worry guis we'll get HW decoding in 2019
yeah whatever nerd, I'll stick to HEVC and VP9.

It took 2 and a half years for hardware decode of HEVC 10-bit on mobile CPUs, just shut the fuck up you numale faggot.

>the codec wars are about to return because MPEG LA is greedy and Google is a shitter about standards when it isn't convenient for them
We can't seem to catch a break when it comes to technology anymore.

Attached: 1408935149551.png (391x400, 70K)

>Google is a shitter about standards when it isn't convenient for them

Pretty much every internet media company supports AV1 (including google). Because it's royalty free and open source.

The only people keeping HEVC going are the movie/TV industry.

They've got clear cut lines in the sand, HEVC will be for physical media releases and AV1 will be for media streaming giants.

This, imagine just how pissed off these large tech companies (that compete with each other) got at HEVC licensing costs that they joined forces and made something better

it's going to get optimized, this is not usuable at all lol.

you know I get this feels like we're back in 2001 on here and ripping a dvd and converting it to xvid or divx lit took like the entire night lol.
>frame= 3202 fps=0.2 q=-0.0 size= 4874kB time=00:01:46.89 bitrate= 373.5kbits/s speed=0.00828x

this fucking video is just 7m47s though

Look at the ffmpeg mailing list. There are two different patches to enable tile column/row setting which enables tile multithreading. You also have to use the -threads option until it's fixed for the av1 encoder.