/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.
*Many free software projects have an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: rms.jpg (4288x2848, 1.13M)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/lingtjien/Grid-Tiling-Kwin
github.com/lingtjien/Grid-Tiling-Kwin.git
appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=35527
devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/slotting/
gentoo.org/support/news-items/2015-03-28-true-multilib.html
raiplay.it/dirette/rai1
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_Cheat_Sheet
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel/Configuration
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel/Gentoo_Kernel_Configuration_Guide
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Hardware_detection
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Xorg/Guide
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/HDD
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/USB/Guide
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Intel
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Nouveau
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Radeon
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/AMDGPU
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Wifi
github.com/bhrigu123/classifier
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'll ask again to be sure.
I want to switch to gentoo from debian.
What are the downsides of gentoo? And is it any good for desktop usage?

-compiling -no matter how fast your computer is- takes much more time than installing binary packages. Sometimes when you upgrade packages you need to compile not just the new package but the ones depending on it.
-requires actual effort to configure and set up your packages (needs to be done actually once)

Gentoo is whatever you want it to be. If you want desktop, select a desktop profile and you're set.

Just got a mic and input is crackling/popping. options snd-hda-intel position_fix=3 (also 1 and 2) in modprobe.d didn't solve it. Tried it in windows and it worked normally.
Sound device is a Realtek ALC892.

Any ideas?

Just installed Kubuntu, after not trying linux on desktop since 2007ish.

How do I install this? I am retarded, sorry. Not sure what the path is, but I feel like I have to do something with github, I tried pasting the URL github.com/lingtjien/Grid-Tiling-Kwin

You need git.

sudo apt install git.

Then you:

git clone the address in the blue box on github.

It's green. Not blue.

git clone github.com/lingtjien/Grid-Tiling-Kwin.git

based RMS

why is cygwin so fucking terrible and why does no one try to fix it?

>can only select packages during cygwin install
>want to use new packages? sorry friendo, no way to install them from inside cygwin you gotta reinstall the whole thing

I don't even see the point of this trash existing, got more work done in a VM than this crap. maybe WSL will finally make it irrelevant

Why is it said that running Linux virtualized is the most secure way to run Linux?

Attached: 35._Portrait_of_Wittgenstein.jpg (405x563, 27K)

to user from thank you i've been able to run Mint on VM x64 and that made me really happy
no homo

Hello friendly gnu/linux friendly friends :)

Because of courses I have to take/am currently taking I'd like to be able to run microsoft office on my machine. I've followed the instructions from here:
appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=35527
However after (I believe) successfully installing office, I've run into the following issue:

Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x3e6b325c in 32-bit code (0x7e95f140).

Attached: 1522482762101.gif (429x592, 2.8M)

get crossfire, MS Office '13 just works

Any pointers on getting decent font rendering in firefox under KDE?

Shit looks shit, see screenshot. Works fine in Chromium, though.

Attached: file.png (612x109, 7K)

I'm so fucking close I can taste it, I can't just leave it now
At this point the sunk cost fallacy it's what drives me

Attached: 1522869020842.gif (300x424, 2.56M)

not trying to be a dick, but have you google'd the unhandled exception?

How can I force a program(s) to open up on a specified monitor in Ubuntu? (Ideally I want it to open up in the exact same position every time).

Yeah, is there something I didn't see/overlooked?
All the responses I read pointed in different directions

I've been using manjaro with kde for about a year and it's been stable and comfy, but I've been using arch-derived systems for a few years and thinking of trying something new, to learn a new system.
Anyone have suggestions? (Gen2 is a bit too much work)

Useless idea.

did you check the exception against your distro? that'll get more specific to the issue you're having

openSUSE, PCLinuxOS, Slackware/Slack based distros are a good challenge

Slack looks pretty great, I think I'll try that one out. Thanks

What are you hoping to learn by switching distros?
It'll be nothing at all, just saying.

>I want to switch to gentoo from debian
Good decision.

>What are the downsides of gentoo?
Pretty much the only potential downside I can think of is the compiling, but even that's a non issue.
Most stuff installs pretty quick, if it takes longer, do something else, you almost certainly don't need to run it immediately, and if you do, it's your own fault for not installing it earlier. Like, if you're at uni and you need to turn in a presentation in the next 30min and you don't have libreoffice on your laptop, it's your fault for being an irresponsible fucktard (big things like libreoffice come in binary form as well btw, but that's besides the point).
As for updates, just make sure to update once a week or two and it shouldn't take more than like ~30min or so on average on an average machine (unless there's a libreoffice update or something).
If you're running Gentoo on a laptop with shit cooling and you're concerned about temps, you can either scale down the CPU frequency or cross compile on your desktop.
Also, you can give other things you're doing on the computer more priority by maxing out the portage niceness, if required.

>And is it any good for desktop usage?
Better than Debian, that's for sure.

Help my T430's sound adjustment buttons aren't working on Linux, am I missing any drivers?

CloverOS won't install, after pic related (so grub is installed) it reboots
and:

>FAILED to load COM32 file chain.c32
boot: (here i have something to do]

I have already installed clover in january of february in virtualbox, it worked, same thing here (virtualbox) and...that
I remember it was only textual, no dektop.

Attached: 1523262280652.png (653x435, 45K)

ok numeric pad didn't work and now the password appears as i'm writing it with letters
I think it's good (also it's useless to choose a keymap at the beggining since it will be "us" so...)
>it's installing
oh
>it's still not ok...

Attached: 1514612156210.png (403x119, 820)

complete brainlet here. i'm looking to run a node which feed data to different API endpoints, i'll also be running a full ethereum node (running geth is also an option). whats the best hardware recommendations for building this on a linux OS?

>In some ways, Linux was the project that really made the split clear between what the FSF is pushing which is very different from what open source and Linux has always been about which is more of a technical superiority instead of a — this religious belief in freedom.

>There are 'extremists' in the free software world, but that's one major reason why I don't call what I do 'free software' any more. I don't want to be associated with the people for whom it's about exclusion and hatred.
>-- Linus Torvalds

What IDE with auto completion and suggestions would you recommend that would work for multiple languages?

Gentoo is amazing. I can have multiple conflicting versions of packages, or 64 and 32 bit libraries at once. And it's all fine because the programs that depend on specific architectures or specific versions of programs are compiled from source, so portage just links them with the version it knows it depends on.

See devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/slotting/ and gentoo.org/support/news-items/2015-03-28-true-multilib.html

If you've ever had to deal with dependency issues with packages you'll know why this is awesome.

Also being able to manually include (or exclude) certain features from any package or your kernel is extremely useful. For example, I was able to simply remove the SSL heartbeat extension and recompile my packages when the heartbleed vuln came out.

Did I even mention Portage?
>Portage works without any external repo.
>Portage supports using llvm icc etc to build with.
>Portage supports distcc.
>Portage supports slotting of dependencies.(multiple versions of python, ruby, gtk etc)
>Portage supports multiple kernels BSD Fedora debian etc.
>Portage can thread package installs and downloads

Meanwhile, with Arch
>overzealous autistic fan boys
>"you'll learn how Linux REALLY works!" When it's literally just configuring a package manager and letting scripts do the rest
>offers nothing that minimal net installs already offered for other distros don't.
>muh bleeding edge packages!! when you can just install directly from the upstream source in any distro.
>only reason to use it is the aur, which is full of broken and unmaintained packages and isn't monitored at all, most "packages" are just a bash script to download the package and it's install script from GitHub.
>aur is far worse than Open Build Service, which actually lets you package binaries and programs for multiple distros.

there's nothing it offers that makes it worth using over any other distros and it has the worst fucking user base.

Attached: 1531939979786.png (1029x1000, 1.04M)

How long will I have to wait for firefox 60 to come out on debian testing? 6 months? Is it worth installing manually?

Cygwin is made by Red Hat. It's in their interest for it to be clunky and inconvenient enough to drive people to Linux. Cygwin and MSYS also get eaten by aggressive AV. WSL is a better option, although still nowhere near complete.

What if there's no source?

Hi guys. I'm a newbie here, so maybe i'm writing at wrong board. But i need somebody from Italy who know linux and want to earn some money. I can pay around 50$ per month for linux vps from which my customers could access
raiplay.it/dirette/rai1
I already tried 3-4 Italian vps but none of them worked. So maybe here is somebody who can help me with this, or maybe you can tell me where i should find some.

IIRC you just run the setup program again and it lets you update or install different packages. It doesn't reinstall the entire thing every time.

I've used both arch and gentoo. the difference is arch doesn't make any assumptions for you. gentoo has a huge selection of profiles that make most of the assumptions for you--granted you get to choose the profile.

arch is also binary which is a huge deal. I'm not compiling a ton of shit on my laptop and distcc doesn't even work for huge things like chromium.

> the absolute state of debcucks

Gentoo makes the assumption that if you pick a KDE profile, you want applications to enable various optional bits of support for KDE.

Nothing special and you still have full control on your own settings that override the profile anyhow.

Portage can install binaries just fine, too.

yeah, things like networkmanager? do you need that? cups? cdr?

how about branding? do you like that one?

gentoo also writes a ton of udev rules to autostart services when the hardware is available. arch doesn't do this--more assumptions.

/etc/profile is filled with tons of shit too, like colors

Yes, things that are integrated into KDE applications by default, like the networkmanager or cups support.

You can individually disable things, but having them enabled by default is the very reason you choose a KDE profile anyhow.

If you wanted to enable things individually you'd have picked a more basic profile and just installed KDE on top.

>gentoo also writes a ton of udev rules to autostart services
It generally places udev rule files if you have the udev flag enabled. Maybe there's the odd exception that just needs udev, but it's really no problem either way.

> /etc/profile is filled with tons of shit too, like colors
It has that bit where it enables a color prompt on bash if you don't have your own configuration or a /etc/bash/bashrc. Which is never a problem, but feel free to edit it anyhow.

You're concerned about some really super simple to deal with things.

Guys I have a serious problem.

>StoreMI windows storage that can't be safely removed without losing everything.
>Another HDD with a bootable Linux partition
>Motherboard set to UEFI only boot mode

How the fuck do i make Linux boot?
I need to use Linux but I can't afford to lose the Windows data either.

Attached: 1535363315641.jpg (684x1024, 161K)

5 reasons to use gentoo:
- its an operating system!
- its rolling release!
- it just works!!
- gentoo!!!

Attached: gentoo-signet.png (533x533, 107K)

You can try setting the disk boot priority in your BIOS to boot from the other HDD first.
Once you do that you can dual boot without having to change that setting every time, just make sure GRUB on the GNU/Linux HDD is aware of the windows drive too and it can boot either.

For someone who would like to migrate from arch, how hard would it be to learn ? (not asking about the install but the use)

When I click the "Browse..." Button to upload a file on a website, what exactly is this file manager? I have multiple file managers installed so which one provides this functionality. Or is it something completely different that handles this?

>durr believing in freedom is religious extremism
Imagine being this cucked.
>we're more about technical superiority
Then why isn't Linux technically superior? In the age of hybrid kernels, it's the only remaining monolithic shit!

It may take some getting used to at first idk, but trust me, once you get used to Gentoo, you're not gonna be looking back.
Just read the handbook and you'll be fine.
The documentation is top tier, if you don't have problems with reading comprehension, you won't have problems with Gentoo.
If you do run into an issue, you can always ask on the IRC channel, people there will be happy to help.
Here's a cheat sheet thing wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_Cheat_Sheet

Also, make sure to choose the desktop profile when you install.
It will set the default USE flags to what most desktop users would want.

If you're going to be configuring the kernel manually, I'll save you some trouble:
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel/Configuration
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel/Gentoo_Kernel_Configuration_Guide
Tools for hardwate detection:
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Hardware_detection
Just follow the parts related to kernel configuration on these pages and make sure the options that need to be enabled are enabled:
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Xorg/Guide
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/HDD
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/USB/Guide
Same here, depending on your GPU:
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Intel
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Nouveau
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Radeon
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/AMDGPU
Wifi:
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Wifi

If you have more devices that require non generic drivers like a printer or wacom or something, look up the related page and enable the required kernel options as instructed.

Ok, tank you guys, when i feel ready i will in stall CloverOS, i don't really want to fight against a pure gentoo install

Just follow the handbook baka, it literally holds your hand through the whole process and explains everything in noob terms.
It's literally like the Arch installation, except the guide is more detailed and noob friendly and you'll have to wait for profile dependencies and the kernel to compile.
You don't have to configure the kernel manually, there's an automatic method called genkernel.
If you can install Arch, you can install Gentoo.
If you have installed Arch, the installation process should literally not take more than like 30min while skimming through the handbook (w/o the compile time during which you do something else).

It has nothing to do with your file managers. It's a "filepicker" that's built into GTK. And yes, we're well aware of how absolutely shitty it is, but the devs think they know better than anyone else. Your only options for changing it are to install KDE (somehow KDE is able to replace it, I don't know how, perhaps they build their own version of GTK?)
Or to patch GTK and manually compile it.

Is there something like Windows's indexed file search on Linux?

I'm planning on moving to Ubuntu but I don't see how to quickly look for files.
On 10 I can just search for, something "joshiraku 8" and it will find the video file instantly.

Attached: 1528134679090.jpg (400x533, 102K)

Is there something like Windows's indexed file search on Linux?

I'm planning on moving to Ubuntu but I don't see how to quickly look for files.
On 10 I can just search for, something like "joshiraku 8" and it will find the video file instantly.

Attached: 1449544240204.gif (384x288, 46K)

angrysearch

What is the difference between laptop-mode-tools and tlp, and which one should i be using?

There's definitely indexed search, it's just a question of whether the tools you want it to be built into will have it built in or not. For instance, the GTK filepicker has it I think. There's also some command line tools for it like mlocate.
I'd be surprised if there aren't some file managers that also have it built in, mine doesn't though.

Don't you have to patch applications individually to use the KDE version instead of the GTK garbage?
You do with Firefox anyway, unless you're on openSUSE, which ships a pre-patched build.

Could a Jow Forumsentlement recommend me a light, Sumatra-PDF-like PDF viewer? qpdfView is generally fine, but it renders images unbearably slow, I cannot stand it.

mupdf

evince?

did you know that sumatra uses mupdf?

$ find /path/to/animu -iname '*joshi*8*'
also stop watching solshit, moeshit, and currently airing anime

No.

Attached: yuno.jpg (1147x825, 118K)

(not him)
I don't know for pdf files but for cbz it's GREAT !

READ

enjoy having your mom died in her sleep

>literally get the answer to question
>be retarded anime poster
Did you even look it up?

flatpak programs typically have to use the native file chooser because of how flatpak works. GTK3 and QT5 support this transparently, but only within flatpaks because XDG are retarded.

zathura with mupdf plugin. Most PDF readers use mupdf or poppler, which are both fine, but the official mupdf GUI for Linux is just bad.

user, I'm the one that asked the question but I'm not , calm your tits.

stop being tsundere, my other personality

how retarded is it than when i just want to print current redshift parameters it tries to connect to their botnet
why cant it just literally print and exit as it is said in man page

Attached: 1519074119308.gif (500x230, 143K)

put your lang and long in the config, schlomo
you aren't this idiot right?

no its not me
i put my coords in config file and it works like a charm, the thing is i would like it to tell me what are current screen temperatures, during transition

redshift-gtk exists

>Go away from my PC for 5 minutes
>PC goes into sleep mode and gets locked
>Trying to unlock the PC
>Press win + space to change the language to english
>Instead of switching the language it just appends one symbol to the password input window
>Can't change the language because win+space does not work and I couldn't change it to shift+alt before because fucking ubuntu does not even register that combination in the shortcuts menu
God fucking damn it. Linux is such a fucking joke.

Attached: 1535289735939.jpg (632x773, 41K)

I know that feel, bro.

>lock screen is actually secure
>complain about it

How can I tell on void linux what causes the system to wake from suspension? Socklog doesn't tell a damn thing.
Reason is my power button broke and I unplugged it so I can't short the power on socket and lift the keyboard every time I need to turn it on. Everything was working fine until I reinstalled void a few months ago. Now it's waking up from suspension as soon as it goes to sleep half of the time. The other half it doesn't. I tried messing up with /acpi/wakeup, but this motherfucker wakes up even when everything is disabled, at times.

>using GUI
thats not 1337 enough

I just downloaded this script:
github.com/bhrigu123/classifier

I installed it with pip and when I cd into my folder it isn't found. I tried to autocomplete it with tab but its just not there but I did install it. What gives?

Is there a sane way to adjust mouse scroll speed or will I have to fuck with my xorg conf for a persistent configuration? This shit is infuriating.

I have just fixed the same problem with imwheel.

ha ha i have fallen to the linux meme you got me you got me good you can laugh all you want now ha ha

I'll check it out. Thanks.

God damn it I feel so stupid I doubt I should even use Linux

Just installed Elementary OS alongside Windows (managed to somehow get Grub errors but messed around with BIOS and finally installed it) and now back into Windows because I got so frustrated. What's the easiest way to install apps without having to use terminal?

Fuck I've been struggling all day with this shit. I even tried another distro and the problem persisted.
I like Linux, I really do, but sometimes I wish shit would just work.

I've downloaded a patch from github, but no matter what patch command i give it, it refuses to apply.
Why?

Whats so hard about terminal? I hated linux, I install kubuntu, no problems (yet). Everything is running too smooth, it doesn't feel like linux if fstab isn't fucked.

Get used to the terminal, its not hard. in debian based OS "sudo apt-get install update" or change update to the program you are installing, you may need to copy and paste the source but its not hard to download a deb of the program and run it either.

Sounds like a driver issue. I have KDE and it can decrease the mic loudness in the options, maybe its just too sensitive?

How do I start programming in linux? I downloaded the languages, but is there a tutorial like codeacademy for linux users?

I've already tried fiddling with the mic volume and boost both within pulse and directly in ALSA, also tried everything I could find in the first couple pages of googling. I even got it to decent levels but the crackling was still there.
If I didn't have a windows partition to check I'd be sure this mic was defective, but I know the mic is fine.

I don't think scroll speed is built into the mouse wheel is it? I think it just counts the number of ticks, and "speed" would be controlled by the application.
For instance I know Firefox has a setting somewhere that sets the number of lines it scrolls per tick.