/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: cleavage derori headphones seifuku.png (1190x1636, 2.44M)

Other urls found in this thread:

gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_4_snapdragon-review-1593p7.php
massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-pc37x-gaming-headset?mode=guest_open
massdrop.com/buy/echobox-audio-finder-x1-iems#overview
innerfidelity.com/content/outstanding-bose-quiet-comfort-35-wireless-noise-canceling-headphone-measurements
amazon.com/Micca-OriGen-G2-Resolution-Preamplifier/dp/B01N14SY65/
amazon.co.uk/beyerdynamic-990-250-Hi-Fi-Headphone/dp/B00193FT26/ref=sr_1_11?s=electronics-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1536788775&sr=1-11&keywords=open back headphones&refinements=p_36:10000-20000
amazon.co.uk/beyerdynamic-990-PRO-Studio-Headphones/dp/B0011UB9CQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1536788775&sr=1-2&keywords=open back headphones&refinements=p_36:10000-20000
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Use 3M Dual Lock instead of velcro, way better.

Does anyone know if my interface arrived broken?
I bought it off Amazon as new but it was all scratched up and doesn't seem to pick up any sound.
I use a 3.5mm mono connected to a 3.5mm to 6.35mm mono adapter into the combo jack on my Behringer U-phoria UM2.

new thread.

>all DAC/amps sound the same
I get terrible hiss with laptop dedicated headphone output. Hissing with IEMs is especially unbearable
I decided to buy cheapest USB-3.5mm soundcard, and instead of hiss it buzzes with one USB port and makes high pitched noise with another one.
Topping NX4 DSD just works without any problems.
Explain this to a brainlet please.

People who say that are talking about real DACs,
not the built in ones that are mostly ridden with problems such as hiss.

Better DAC is not a meme. Compared Redmi Note 4 to Cayin N3 and the difference is big.

cute drawing of me

Are USB headphones better than 3.5mm?

no

Only if your integrated soundcard is literally shit.

Idol garbage here.
What's your setup like, user?

Attached: 1535081230286.png (1080x1920, 2.46M)

it's called placebo

>Are USB headphones better than 3.5mm?
That literally can't be measured. 6.3mm headphones on the other hand are exactly 2.8 better than 3.5mm ones.

Is it a good idea to buy used headphone s?

No. It's like removing a veil. Also, amp is not a meme also. If it's not transparent (and many aren't because of plebs liking bass), you should hear a difference even if your old amp is powerful enough. If this old amp is transparent, only then buying new one is a meme.

it's like rationalizing a purchase

gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_4_snapdragon-review-1593p7.php

If they’re clean in pictures, yeah. I mean, headphone drivers are extremely durable for being electronics, so if there isn’t any external damage, it’s very likely that they’re good as new.

An external DAC can be helpful when there's a lot of interference/noise/jitter.

In my case, the stock DAC on my motherboard has gone on the blink, so I replaced it.

Whatever this link means, my point was Cayin N3 sounds better than Redmi Note 4. Not only for better amp. When I connect N3 or Note 4 to O2 amp, N3 is still much better.

Cayin N3 does not sound better than Redmi Note 4, it's your cognitive biases make you think it does

If listing has good pictures and description text is more elaborate than "some headphone, untested, don't know if working lol" then sure, buying used gear is a great option. People with 'proper' headphones (i.e. not the consumer grade throw-around stuff) tend to take good care of their shit.

What I'd personally be wary of is portable head/earphones with non-detachable cables, with those the cables inevitably get worn when used out and about. I'd get only such portables used when it's a model where the cable can be changed reasonably easily if/when needed.

Attached: 11cb40b9e2d6b9fd5614513b0cf6cd91.jpg (598x567, 37K)

whatever schizo

are he4xx any good?

How do we solve the Anime problem in the headphone community?

Attached: 1536758712639.jpg (657x527, 32K)

My AVR does not sound the same as my PC soundcard.

We can't. But should we?

Attached: 1348081488709.jpg (640x480, 46K)

maybe

With good ol' healthy violence, of course.

Attached: lopetaheti.png (498x468, 29K)

It does

I was expecting the PC soundcard to sound better, but it unfortunately doesn't. It has more bass, but a less clear sound. The difference is obvious. It could possibly be the output impedance of the AVR headphone out (I'm thinking very high), but all headphones I've tested sound better on the AVR.

Should I sell my HD558s to buy a HyperX Cloud Alpha?

I need something more gaming geared with a mic. The HD558 kinda feel substandard for this purpose but it's great for music.

massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-pc37x-gaming-headset?mode=guest_open

No, it’s not like gaming branded gear is somehow magically better for games. Of course it is always possible that HyperX is closer to your sound preferences, but objectively it’s not a better headphone.

I have HyperX cloud 2's and they sound pretty damn good. I put the velour pads on because I can't stand pleather/leather. The mic quality is fantastic too.

>No, it’s not like gaming branded gear is somehow magically better for games.

You'd be surprised. Competitive gaming has gotten huge and peripherals have grown alongside them. They really tune them better for footsteps, location and gunshots compared to normie headphones just to get the edge in matches.

dumb first person shooters
also mmorpgs
also mobas

My favourite time to listen to music is when I'm playing and MMO.

MOBAs and MMORPGs don't benefit"competitve gayman" headsets

FPS maybe, definetly not MMORPGs.

What do you think Jow Forums? Should I jump on it? massdrop.com/buy/echobox-audio-finder-x1-iems#overview

won't prevent people from buying proper gaymen gear even if they're not into FPS, which they most likely also are because everyone plays the same immensely popular games these days
it's probably more about buying what everyone else bought than having the edge in competitive shooters

Honestly, there's little benefit a different headphone can offer for gaming besides a different signature and you can do the same with moderate EQ. If you check YouTube YouTube will find that most people comparing the HyperX with an audio brand headphone usually preffer the second one.
Imho you'd have more fun with something not so neutral like a Custom One Pro and a V-Moda boompro than an actual headset.

Anyone have tips for bluetooth headphones with strong noise isolation? Almost tempted to go Bose as the noise cancellation is surprisingly good but I can't get over the fact that the sound quality isn't worth the price or that /hpg/ would bully me. Currently rocking DT880 which clearly isn't fit for purpose (either silent libraries or loud work environment).

No, but consider HD600, the straighforward upgrade to HD558.

Tried QC35 recently. Most horrible sounding, colored AF headphones I've heard.
Also more expensive than HD600 or any of the headphones I own.
Insanity.

Really? That's good to know. I've only ever tried out the ANC briefly with someone else's music so couldn't judge the sound quality. Was assuming it'd be bad but probably should have guessed it'd be like what you're saying.

The ANC didn't give me a headache like the QC15 or 25 I had tried years ago.
But the sound was horribly colored, to very frustrating extremes. I'd hear dramatically different volume on different notes of the same instrument. A rollercoaster FR.

Alright, fuck that then. Kind of surprising as the company I was just working for offers free QC35s for the devs to use at work. It's a pretty geeky firm so would have expected them to pick a decent audiphile approved headphone rather than putting all that money into a pile of shit.

So if Bose are really that bad, know any other decent bluetooth headphones?

I use my HyperX Cloud 2's because the mic is so good. If I use a mic of lesser quality (which is pretty much anything other than a boom mi), the people/person I'm talking to complains.

Either your hearing or your music are shit.

Attached: frequency-response-graph.png (900x520, 46K)

It's seriously bad, try it yourself.

I have, it's bad because it lacks detail and has high distortion, not this nonsense:
>I'd hear dramatically different volume on different notes of the same instrument. A rollercoaster FR.
I don't know if you're making shit up or if you're just really biased because this is objectively not a thing that happens with the QC35.

Try a few tests of the Boompro, you will be surprised.

Does indo user still post here? I want to ask his opinions about the SR-007.

I was using it with a cable. I don't know if bluetooth is any better.
It did that on my ears, instruments were appearing and disappearing constantly. Worst imaging I'd heard in a very long time.

>with cable
You probably had the headphone's circuitry turned off. Should've done more research before making statements like you did.

innerfidelity.com/content/outstanding-bose-quiet-comfort-35-wireless-noise-canceling-headphone-measurements

That the NC switch? Both positions sounded bad...

Owner tells me there's a software to run with them @ computer. EQ is cheating, ffs.
I used mine on Linux and with no EQ, obviously. How else would anyone test headphones?

I bought that to use with my SHP9500S. While it is quite good, it's still not up to the Cloud 2 mic.

>I'd hear dramatically different volume on different notes of the same instrument. A rollercoaster FR.
That can only happen with the switch turned off.
EQ is built into the hardware you moron.

You do know you can buy a mic and attach it, right?
See OP's links.

Attached: 1532106859288.png (600x704, 64K)

Z for Zeos

Attached: E1A8221F-109B-41A2-B366-F3224AAA8DFB.jpg (748x805, 60K)

So all it means is that turning it off is the only legit way to measure, then.
Else you're not really measuring the headphones, but the headphones + dsp chip.

You're supposed to listen to the headphones + DSP chip which is why all the major review sites made sure to capture that. I couldn't care less about silly audiophools who refuse to use DSP.

Dude, you can eq any headphone to flat. They're just cheating by doing it in the headphone itself.
Measuring that is absolute nonsense. Of course it's going to be flat. Don't even bother and look at the distortion instead. Oh, it's shit. How surprising.

Try unplugging your laptop's power and see if you still get hissing. 78% chance it's the power supply

>cheating
What a shit fucking argument.
>Don't even bother and look at the distortion instead.
Did you miss when I brought it up here you colossal fucking retard?

What I'm saying is that they all suck at removing noise from your surroundings (mouse clicks/keyboard/people) compared to the Cloud 2s.

Hey /hpg/ I haven't been here in a long time. Whatever happened to "The Wire" amp? Are there any manufacturing it?

LME49990 not in production anymore. Get a new op-amp to build your circuit of choice.

who here has bought the new brainwavz pads made specifically for the mdr 7506?

Attached: IMG_20180905_210832.jpg (4160x3120, 2.13M)

What's the current best design if the goal is transparency, these days?

thx aaa amp it seems like

>547€
Why?

Attached: chrome_2018-09-10_18-54-41.png (287x419, 44K)

Just got SMSL m6 from the mail, and my god what a difference. Im used to driving my DT990s from my yamaha 2-way amp connected straight to mobo soundcard for years. Bye bye sound distortion and overbearing, bloated bass. Music feels way richer now.

Attached: SMSL-M6-MINI-HIFI-Audio-Decoder-Headphone-Amplifier-32Bit-384KHz-USB-Asynchronous-DAC-Audio-Multifun (640x640, 25K)

Discontinued + all the hype from when it had a good price.

You guys should have listened to me and bought them when you could.

k702 worth it over 701s for replaceable cable?
those k701 aesthetics tho

I have one but was looking for a second for my PS4/PC(with zalman mic).

K702 is usually cheaper from what I've seen. I personally think K702 looks better. The replaceable cable is nice for peace of mind.

What of it? I don't understand why some of you value his opinions so much.

What do you mean yamaha 2 way amp, a stereo amp? What exactly was it? Also, were you using a 3.5mm to RCA cable from onboard audio out to receiver?

What's everyone's favorite Stax?
imo this is the best and everyone else is wrong.

Nice to know boseanon was full of shit like I said he was

forgot picture

Attached: Do you want stax with that.png (480x480, 432K)

Anyone used a Soundblasterx G6 ? I've pretty much relocated my X7 to my living room speakers, so I'm thinking of getting that to replace it.

Main feature I require from it is the SPDIF input, along with the possibility of having both USB and SPDIF input mixed.

Both of those are garbage. At that price point, I recommend this: amazon.com/Micca-OriGen-G2-Resolution-Preamplifier/dp/B01N14SY65/

Always go with the Detachable cable option if possible. Better to need a new cable later than an entire new headphone.

>the possibility of having both USB and SPDIF input mixed.

Which the Micca doesn't seem to do.

Both use the same driver revision now, so K702 is objectively better just because of the replacable cables. But if you really want that white color and don’t worry about the cable’s durability, feel free to pick whatever you want.

>anime
>problem

kek, good one bud.

anime bitches are straight fire fren.

You can't have sex with anime girls.

Checkmate.

Yeah, that's where we have normie trash for.

Appreciate the waifus brother.
Don't fap to em, they're holy.

What if you get your normie trash to dress up?

Are these pretty much the same or am I retarded?
amazon.co.uk/beyerdynamic-990-250-Hi-Fi-Headphone/dp/B00193FT26/ref=sr_1_11?s=electronics-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1536788775&sr=1-11&keywords=open back headphones&refinements=p_36:10000-20000

amazon.co.uk/beyerdynamic-990-PRO-Studio-Headphones/dp/B0011UB9CQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1536788775&sr=1-2&keywords=open back headphones&refinements=p_36:10000-20000

Attached: 1458864291374.gif (540x304, 1.22M)

Pretty much. The Edition one is made with nicer-looking material, and it clamps less, as far as I know.

Good to know ill look into it more

Yes, both rape you.

Attached: UnlimitedBeyerWorks.jpg (800x600, 324K)

Anyone here have the Atticus?

What's a good desktop amp pairing with this thing?

Attached: e.jpg (768x432, 62K)

Is this a meme or not? If its not what would you recommend instead given the price range?