Why aren't you surfing the Gopher Web? It's free of all the cancer that infects the World Wide Web these days...

Why aren't you surfing the Gopher Web? It's free of all the cancer that infects the World Wide Web these days, is lightweight and can be browsed on computers regardless of their age.

Attached: 646072b112d864a3d6cf62f2c141898b[1].jpg (480x360, 38K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/muffinista/gopher2000
gopher.floodgap.com/gopher/gw
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gopher_(protocol)#Client_software
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I do like Gopher, but it feels like people use it as nothing more than a blogging platform.

Enlighten me on this, I’m an oldfag to Jow Forums and Tor and I’ve somehow never fucking heard of this.
I get I can just Google it, but I want you to sell it to me. Make me want to use the GopherNet.

it's good

>i could do what everyone else does, but i want to be spoonfed

Attached: 1370642710913.png (512x384, 347K)

Yeah, I do, and I have the testicles to admit it. Now pitch it to me, what’s the hype?

Sites are hierarchical, it's closer to FTP than a web site. It also has very simple syntax to create menus, and most of the content is entirely text files.

It's as if internet had only GET requests and could only return text.

does it has CP?

do i need server to use it? Would vm on digital ocean or azure suffice?
whats so interesting in that? What is this "sikrit knowledge" you wiill find there but not on for example lainchan?

I've never heard of gopher.
How can I connect to it ?
How can I navigate it ?

Does it even have secure transmission?

Is there any chan website like Jow Forums in the Gopher Web ?

There is, but it's really not meant to be used that way so it's kind of shit.

How many frameworks does it have?

There are 3 textboards that I know of. Two of them allow inserting linked inline images.
gopher://port70.net/1chan
gopher://gopher.su/1/board
gopher://khzae.net/1/chan

jesus... How young are you people???

github.com/muffinista/gopher2000
Ruby framework based on Sinatra

>and could only return text
It's primarily based around plain text, but the protocol doesn't limit what can be returned, and even defines types like I (static image) and g (GIF).

Floodgap, which is the de facto centre of modern gopherspace, offers an HTTP gateway:
gopher.floodgap.com/gopher/gw

Otherwise, search for "gopher clients"
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gopher_(protocol)#Client_software

Umbrellix.net has some good info on what they've called "s/gopher", which is gopher + SSL.
gopher://umbrellix.net
They also support darknet access.

The VF-1 client has a TLS mode, but few servers actually offer support for it. Generally, you can use something like stunnel to wrap other servers/clients with SSL.

It better has cp

>gopher.floodgap.com/gopher/gw
nice man, thx for posting it

Is there anything good on there? I mean I love the concept but I'm not gonna spend my time browsing randomly for random things just for the sake of it, without any goal whatsoever I

Archie! Veronica!

it's a neat little space but no real image support is almost a deal breaker. I migth still visit it to see the dicsussions

I just downloaded a .mov from there, it has support for imgs, you just have to download them

what are the big "forums" there?

>real image support
By that you mean inline images? A gopher client could present linked images in a menu inline (sort of like how Overbite gives the option to expand text files/images inline, see pic related), but that kind of HTML-like "style" is outside the scope of the protocol, just like it's outside the scope of HTTP. On the other hand, a lot of gopher clients do support HTML (with item type 'h'), so you can use an HTML page instead of a menu or plain text file to get inline images.

oops, forgot pic

Attached: overbite.png (907x961, 261K)

is there any kind of index sort of like the hidden wiki for cool sites?

Floodgap keeps an automatic index of all known gophers:
gopher://gopher.floodgap.com:70/1/world

This is part of their Veronica-2 gopher search engine:
gopher://gopher.floodgap.com:70/1/v2

Here's an example:
gopher://khzae.net/h/misc/demo.html
How it works depends on the client you're using. Pic related is Overbite (plugin for Firefox)

Attached: html.png (816x725, 543K)

neat

>images in gopher

FUCKING DISGUSTING

Any neat gopher pages?

kys

all I find with Veronica are dead links, http mirrors, some weirdo's blog and pages that haven't been updated in years

gopher://gopherpedia.com
Mirror of Wikipedia in gopherspace

gopher://sdf.org
Lots of phlogs (gopher blogs), you can also get your own shell account and gopherspace

how do access it with Edge?

read the thread:

gopher is mostly designed as "read-only". At the time, you would have had email/usenet/BBS/IRC for online discussion (only later would the Web absorb all of these in to one enormous mess).

There's a few "boards" like points out, which take advantage of the one form of user input in Gopher: search queries. These were intended for a user to enter a query and receive some results, but can be exploited as arbitrary text input (although technically the protocol only guarantees that servers/clients support selectors of 255 characters)

Just for fun, view this thread over gopher:
gopher://khzae.net/1/phourchan/g/67568736

Attached: lynx.png (561x752, 41K)