/spg/ - Smartphone General

iPhone Xs, Xs Max & Xr Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: iphonsexs.jpg (986x548, 77K)

Other urls found in this thread:

techcrunch.com/2018/09/06/google-pixel-3-xl-launch/
mobile-review.com/review/google-pixel-3xl-fl.shtml
imgur.com/a/3KyuY4X
verizonwireless.com/prepaid/smartphones/moto-g6-play-prepaid/
bestbuy.com/site/motorola-moto-g6-play-with-32gb-memory-cell-phone-unlocked-deep-indigo/6221302.p?skuId=6221302
gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=9140&idPhone2=9247#mi-a2,a2-lite,*
microg.org/
eglobalcentral.eu
macworld.com/article/3235709/iphone-ipad/iphone-x-samples-touch-input-at-120hz-for-faster-smoother-response.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Anyone with a Pixel 2 XL have problems with their power button rarely responding? Was I hit by Google's planned obsolescence

Thanks, user. And is there any keynote presenting it yet, or am I dependent on whatever leaked scoops Wired can get for a peak of it?
Also, saw user earlier say it's out in October. Is that based on anything concrete?

72h or 720h? On my MiUnlocker app it says 720 hours.

Nice quads. The release date was already confirmed by Google:
techcrunch.com/2018/09/06/google-pixel-3-xl-launch/

The 3 XL has already been widely leaked and pretty much everything is known about it. A Russian site already did a review on it:
mobile-review.com/review/google-pixel-3xl-fl.shtml

The regular Pixel 3 has also leaked, we know how it'll look (pic related) and most of its specs:
imgur.com/a/3KyuY4X

Attached: 20180831_013120610.jpg (2880x1920, 2.92M)

Pocophone is 72hr, other 2018 Xiaomi phones are now 720hr.

Attached: 14885185690 265.jpg (590x332, 123K)

Ooh. Nice. So they shitcanned the XBOX HUEG bezel that the early reports were crying about

why are there so many brands and models and they are all shitty in their own way there is no ultimate choice

The 3 XL has an ugly notch, only the regular non-XL Pixel 3 is notchless.

Attached: aYDgu7sy3o2g.jpg (810x810, 126K)

such is capitalism, what a waste.

Those are different things?

Attached: 1302793814737.jpg (636x440, 30K)

>thicc notch and chin
what were they thinking?

what is the cheapest chinkphone equivalent or closely similar to the new iPhone XR

>So I kinda soft-bricked my secondary phone. It's a Samsung i8150, with CyanogenMod ROM, android version 4.12.
>I wanted to make KissLauncher my main home launcher, so I froze Trebuchet (default home launcher) using another app. Not to my knowledge, turns out KissLauncher doesn't have the make-it-default function, so when I restarted the phone, it stuck on boot logo without being able to go to home screen.
>Is there any way to fix my phone without hard reset? Maybe android version of chroot or something?

Bumping my question from the previous thread.

Usa
Verizon
~$150
Battery life is really the only thing I'm looking for. A nice camera would be a plus.

im probably getting Xs for best photography

Yes, there's two different size Pixel models, just like with the previous Pixels.

Pixel 3 XL: Pixel 3:

I forgot to say I was looking at the Moto g6 play since it claims a great battery life. Is it worth bumping up my budget $40 to get it

Moto E4 Plus or G6 Play

G6 Play is $129.99 if you're on prepaid:
verizonwireless.com/prepaid/smartphones/moto-g6-play-prepaid/

The unlocked version is $149.99 here "with activation today":
bestbuy.com/site/motorola-moto-g6-play-with-32gb-memory-cell-phone-unlocked-deep-indigo/6221302.p?skuId=6221302

Ah. Gotcha. Kind of a bummer, because I prefer going big, but the negative space of my background is black so hopefully it wont be too noticeable.

What does activation today mean? Can I just put my sim card in and go?

Attached: 1489624793420.png (325x336, 60K)

Ah, the fine print says
>New line or new account $149.99, upgrade $199.99.
So I guess you wouldn't get the discounted price if you're already on Verizon

What is the likelyhood the XS will be sold out at any time in the US, especially early October? I have time restraints, but also want to deals alternatives.

No, but my 2 xl's battery is draining way quicker for some reason

After five years, I'm finally upgrading from an iPhone 5S to the S9. Feels comfy.

Attached: 1521008266677.png (461x453, 282K)

I have an iPhone 4S, which is slowly dying and I need a new phone. Is it possible to use android without being part of the google botnet?

Also I want
>headphone jack, duh
>IPS, no oled
>no curved edges
>no ui bloat
>full metal case
>not too big
>not more than $400
>finger print scanner needs to be optional (aka on the back) or not exist at all
>decent camera

Is there any midrange phone that would fill my needs?

Attached: 1520362556061.png (300x300, 128K)

>Is it possible to use android without being part of the google botnet?
Yes, if you get a phone with an unlockable bootloader and a decent developer community you can install custom ROMs that are completely free of any Google software.

What is your carrier?

I leech unitymedia SIM cards from my parents which they get as part of their ISP subscription. The card should just work, yes? They didn't change the sim card standard in the last 7 years or something like that? Maybe I should I just get my own contract instead of being such a freeloader.

Yeah, the SIM should work. What exactly is not too big? With your budget I'd be looking at the Redmi Note 5 or Pocophone, I'd you want something more compact I'd consider Mi A2 Lite or Sony XZ1 / XZ1 Compact or XA2.

Pretty much every free phone. I got a Zmax pro last year for kinda free. 1080 IPS, headphone, fast cpu, enough ram, fingerprint reader on the back.

That is a cheap phone too. Its p easy, I got an LG K20+ which would fit your needs too.

Provided both have slightly curved screens but for free or under $100 they're awesome. But you can get an SE for less than $400 and it has everything except the fingerprint reader on the back.

>Mi A2 Lite
Doesn't have headphone jack.

So the Google HDR+ port works on any phone with a Snapdragon 820 or better in it, correct? I have my eyes on the Xiaomi Mi A2 for that stock Android (has a Snapdragon 660), and while the camera port isn't the main thing I'm after, it sure would be nice to be able to take somewhat decent photos while I'm out without lugging my actual camera around.

Mi A2 Lite has, Mi A2 doesn't:
gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=9140&idPhone2=9247#mi-a2,a2-lite,*

Thanks for all the input. I never had an android phone before. How much can I rice this shit? Can I write a custom homescreen with displays shit like a countdown to my next final exam and stuff? I have over 7 years of programming experience, but I don't want to use that IntelliJ based crappy IDE. Do people still maintain an eclipse plugin?

It works on other Snapdragon SoCs too, most of the phones with a recent SD6xx SoC support it, even Nokia 6 2017 supports it and that has a SD430. The important thing is having Camera2api support. The Mi A2 supports it too, you just need to unlock the bootloader to enable Camera2api support because isn't enabled out of the box.

yes you can, just look at XDA. I am an iPhone daily user, but I prefer to use android to tinker with,

I think you should go with an OLED though, I have an S3 next to me, and it saves a lot of screen and battery life by being mostly black. But IPS are easy to switch. Are you sure you want android?

iPhone SE:
easy switching screens
good specs
(shitty software though)

Its amazing that android still hasn't toppled it as the budget king. They're even being given away as promos.

I also suggest you get microg.
microg.org/

Get a phone that everyone has, that everyone works on, and that you will have lots of 3rd party support. Even a budget android phone is faster than my iPhone sometimes, but its way jerkier. I suggest the S7 (non edge) or something, I have seen them used for around $150 around me normally. Do get microG if you want to avoid the botnet.

Android is very riceable, just have a look at what kind of homescreens people have done here:

>How much can I rice this shit?
Almost as much as your imagination allows. Install a custom launcher and get familiar with KLWP, that's currently the best app for ricing homescreens.

You are right.

>120 hz on an oled display
fuck, I should have waited instead of getting this note 9

What do you guys think about the Nokia 7 Plus?

op6t

What's the best global chink phone, support and security wise?
By this I mean either the manufacturer or the community will keep patching and releasing updates to a given rom or official firmware.

Any other aspects are irrelevant.

OH NO NO NO AHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHA

Attached: Screenshot_20180912-185715_Twitter.jpg (1439x1416, 408K)

wow another great apple invention

Well now that they finally have dual sim I might actually get an iphone in the future. Just waiting for the notch fad to die out and then I'll buy one just to try it out

I see, thank you user.

It's a good phone, but the bootloader cannot be unlocked so it isn't possible to completely remove all the Google stuff on it.

Only ships to the UK

>not being up to date on the Google fake leak conspiracies.

The 3XL that's been leaked is a fake that Google sent out so that they can unveil a full-screen phone and blow everyone away.
>r-r-right?

eglobalcentral.eu

Is that intrinsic, or is this due to no one doing it yet? Sorry, but I don't know jack about modern smart phones.

Attached: 1506383808647.jpg (1000x1000, 105K)

>I want something not too big
>nokia 7 plus

Just get an LG K20+ or K30. Sure the glass is slightly curved, but who cares? Its got an unlocked bootloader and can do everything I mentioned.

how do i stop my galaxy s9+ from overheating?

It's up to manufacturer to decide whether to allow people to unlock the bootloader on their phones or not, and so far Nokia haven't allowed it. Other manufacturers allow you to unlock the bootloader, but not all.

on one hand I hope this happens because fuck the notch, but on the other hand I bought an S9+ only because of those possibly fake pixel 3XL leaks

those whose faith is weak will be punished, those whose will is strong will flourish

at the end of the day, apple is still the best

What the fuck is that naming?

iPhone XC, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Pro. There.

Oneplus and Xiaomi phones, both have massive custom ROM communities so they'll get active ROM development for years ahead.

Eh the pixel 3xl will probably be similar to the pixel 2xl in price and I got my s9+ for about $300 cheaper than that so not too mad

I think they wanted to emphasize the "bigness" of the Xs Max so they wanted to use a word that means "big" and then wanted that word to have the letter X in it.

s9+ > all new apple phones

I'm not really a fan of iOS so I think I'll pass. Thank you though.

Is it heating up only when you use it or even when you aren't using it?

i think S10 will come out next year probably in february

XS Pro doesn't convey the right message, makes it sound like it's a better version of the XS when it's just a bigger version. Also people pointed that XC wouldn't work because it's 90 in Roman numerals.

That's true. But I feel that with their iPad and MacBook lines, size is definitely a factor. The MacBook pro is bigger than the MacBook, the iPad pro is bigger than the iPad.

I'm sure they could have came up with a better name than XS Max. And I have no idea what they were thinking about XR. It's a direct allusion to the 5C. Call it XC. What made them select R?

Also doesn't ship to my country for some reason but thanks

What country are you in?

They will be no notch in next iPhone. They are aware people hates it. They are trying to hide it in promo shot of xr, xs with black wallpaper.

Austria

iphone XXX

Big tits!

All this shit is to pander to Generation X.

Attached: 15 year old Xer.jpg (465x407, 39K)

>normies actually think that the interface of current smartphones is acceptable
further proof that normies are literally retarded?

But they wanted to show it was the only factor. The only difference between the XS and Max is size, not the typical spec or feature bump.

I dont know what to do.

My parents are due for new phones as they have iphone 6's

I dont know if I should get them the iphone xr $1299 aud or a Galaxy S9 for $900ish or a nokia 7 plus for $649

If I swap them to android its going to be an absolute pain in the neck for the next few months trying to teach them how to use it or where everything is. Is an extra ~$400 worth it?

My mum especially uses her phone a lot for calendar appointments and the camera. So no im not going to get them a poco or chink shit.

What are a list of phones with edge-to edge displays and no notch?

Mi mix 1/2/2S
Oppo find x

What am I missing?

Attached: 1531314396124.jpg (2048x1152, 130K)

is that lil pump?

I'd keep them on iPhones. Do they really need the latest shit though? Why not save some money and get them iPhone 7's or 8's?

>So no im not going to get them a poco or chink shit.

Are you implying chinkshit won't reliably hold dates?

[spoiler]I'm eyeing some chinkshit real hard lately[/spoiler]

The difference in price between trhe latest and last years isnt that big of a gap. May as well get the newest and guarantee they will get 3-4 years out of it.

Vivo Nex S, the upcoming Mi Mix 3

I dont want anything to do with it. Mi Box 3 is quite literally the worst thing ive ever bought. It was only $40 and I feel ripped off. The OS is buggy as fuck and I have to power cycle it each night. I dont want anything to do with anything running Xiaomi software (not going to hold out for some buggy 3rd party rom either)

Attached: 6F82A24C-40C9-445A-BDBA-66A495359CDE.png (800x449, 301K)

mi 8

I don't get it

iPhones get updates for years though, 5-6 years from launch. So even the iPhone 7 will get updates for years ahead.

it's a real "x""s" of a "phone"

The funny thing is the Mi Box isn't even running Xiaomi's software. It's plain stock Android TV, so if anything it's Google you should blame.

>lagOS malware
>""""""updates"""""

If I'm in America and my phone includes a "european style charger" and the seller includes an adapter can I just use a regular USB-C cable and use my Quickcharge charger instead without issues?

Attached: 1523229550212.jpg (400x400, 23K)

Yes

The screen doesn't have a 120hz refresh rate. It's 120hz touch sampling rate, which is what even the last year's iPhones had:
macworld.com/article/3235709/iphone-ipad/iphone-x-samples-touch-input-at-120hz-for-faster-smoother-response.html

its not guaranteed. there isnt much point in saving $100 getting a 1-2 year old device.

If it was like $200-300 for a new 7 or 8 than maybe id consider it.

How come my nexus player in the other room has no issues?

It has some xiaomi services running in the background. it just looks the same as stock as they havent put some shitty skin on it.

I would like to make an updated infographic about smartphone apps.
Obvously I would divide it between proprietary and FOSS apps.
Main categories:
>Browsers
>Launchers
>General use apps (file exporers, text editors and more)
>Messaging apps
And more
I would be thankful if you gave me suggestions regarding categories and apps that I could use/test out to make this infographic