Best distro

best distro

Attached: OpenSUSE.jpg (744x479, 48K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fusion809.github.io/comparison-of-package-managers/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Attached: 1536683318513.png (1366x768, 919K)

Agreed. It's so underrated it's criminal.

Attached: takanashi yomi opensuse.jpg (1920x1200, 1.67M)

Why should I install it then over Ubuntu GNU?

Nope. Boot times are shit, package manager is shit and will force bloat upon you on dist upgrade by default, no autoremove, will make you manually restart programs that used a package you just removed, most packages are broken out of the box, nfs requires fuckery with a firewall (no other distro needed this, and I even specified I'd be a nfs server at install), flatpak doesn't work, virtualbox doesn't work, discord doesn't work, all of these on a fresh install at that. It's shit. It's KDE integration and YAST are nice, but by no means worth it.

Granted, this was all on Tumbleweed, but if you want stability go Debian. If you need rolling go Fedora, or better yet Debian again on Unstable. Debian can do literally anything OpenSUSE can without any of the problems.

Attached: neofetch2.png (1920x1080, 2.2M)

man i love autoremove removing my network drivers

>no autoremove
What do you mean? P sure that once all programs that depended on a library are gone, the library uninstalls.

>package manager is shit
objectively wrong, especially compared to APT, which isn't even LSB compatible

fusion809.github.io/comparison-of-package-managers/

>yast feces across all configs
>beyond-yum-shit-tier zypper
there's literally 0 reasons to use suse unless you need enterprise support and are too hip for redhat

Disable the firewall then debian doesn't even ship with one. Also what package manager DOESN'T require you to manually restart services that got updated. Zypper is nice in that it will actually tell you what running programs rely on updated libraries which I haven't seen in another package manager before. Also package manager removes packages that you don't need whenever you uninstall shit and APT also installs trash you don't need unless you configure it not to. If you consider a package count a meaningful metric that's purely a meme as every distro splits them up differently. Can't speak for your poor experiences with proprietary software as I just use all my bullshit in a qemu/kvm vm using a dedicated gpu.

openPEPE is legit, i haven't had to deal with yast in a decade but it was at least an early attempt at declarative system configuration like NixOS

Pretty much true for this desktop, this was the only distro that would run my hardware without crashing randomly every few minutes to an hour, and didn't hose itself after the first update. I tried Arch, Manjaro, Antergos, Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, Anarchy, Void, Gentoo, KaOS, and even Puppy but they all would crash at random, multiple times within an hour.

OpenSUSE Tumbleweed is the only distro that I've tried that has run stable on THIS machine, even Win 7,8,8.1&10 had the same issue with random crashes. It was a HUGE freaking relief to find something that finally just worked, the way Mint used to work on my other machines.

>Virtualbox doesn't work

Why would you even use virtual box when you can use Qemu/kvm, sheeeit even VMware is better than virtualbox.

And of all the other distros only openSUSE comes with a non-gimped KDE and fully functional Dolphin root actions without having to mess with the AUR and go hunting for expired GPG keys to make it work.

I'm pretty happy with it for now.

Attached: Cracky-Witch.png (1920x1080, 2.32M)

>especially compared to APT, which isn't even LSB compatible
that wasn't really debian's fault since the LSB standard is "fuck you, use rpm, sincerely redhat" and ended up not working between distros anyway

>thinks unused programs that aren't running is "bloat" and throws an autistic fit over it

Typical linux user

>network drivers
>part of the package manager and not modules of the kernel
what

I mean it has no autoremove function. You have to manually search for orphaned packages, remove them, and then for some reason have to manually restart a bunch of programs that used them even they they were orphaned.

>Also what package manager DOESN'T require you to manually restart services that got updated
Apt.

>And of all the other distros only openSUSE comes with a non-gimped KDE
Gimped as in bloated? That's easy - don't select a DE on install with Debian and then manually download the base of KDE through apt. You get even more choice of packages that way than what SUSE gives you at install.

God I wish that were me.

Anyone who would use Gentoo over Arch and spend hours compiling packages just to save a marginal amount of memory/storage space is either autistic or just a virtue signalling meme faggot.

Attached: 2018-09-13-010600_1599x899_scrot.png (1599x899, 754K)

Portage > pacman

>Discord
Please kill yourself

Besides having to manually set wifi, weird integration (but good) with kde, some horrid firewall problems, it's been kind of fun learning Opensuse. Still won't use it though.

>look I'm not like these weirdos who squeeze out and eat their own shit to virtue signal
>I only dine on finest store bought turds from the most exquisite KISS feces repos

Attached: cutie.jpg (600x600, 30K)

there is better openSUSE it's called fedora

Doesn't support best DE, footie.

dat boomer playlist

They're both literally the same

>user@localhost

Its cute that you keep spamming this picture too lmao, but its clear that you just followed the directions exactly and didn't learn anything, on top of having none of the benefits of gentoo.

On modern PC's these programs install with emerge just as fast as they would on apt save for a few outliers like Firefox and source heavy shit like KDE, but even then that takes a few minutes to compile.

At this point Gentoo is pretty much just Arch with even more freedom and customization, not that most people would need it.

Just disable yast network management and it will boot up faster

does it still have that horrible YaST abomination that would overwrite all your config files? used suse once in 1998 or so and never again

Am installing it now. What am I in for?

Well good for you, because I'm trying to boot a live install on a thinkpad t530, and I've been stuck for 10 minutes on this screen, despite being able to start the earlier low res menu.

Attached: DSC_20180913_181222_682_1.jpg (1000x1333, 170K)

I'm using Arch atm, just works so far.
Convince me to switch to openPEPE.

Manjaro > all

Actually I tried it just yesterday (Leap) and it wasn't bad. It was garbage years ago but everything just werks now for me. I'm long time Debian user and I must admit openSUSE is not bad, I'd definitely recommend it to new users over *buntu.

I might add that what I really disliked though is amount of bloat it installs even on net-install when you uncheck all audio/graphics/office software bullshit and it needs relatively a lot of RAM otherwise it might not even run installer but who cares, I put on it i3, works good.

If you're capable of using Arch, you have no need for OpenSUSE.

Yeah BOI

Attached: ss.png (1920x1080, 3.06M)

Many people can't do even that.

nothing works out of the box on debian, it looks like garbage, and it has zero documentation

>systemd

Its pepe's official OS

Yeah, because Arch is for autists.

Every single person I've met who uses Arch is a neckbearded weeb who has nothing better to do then to spend all day setting up Arch.

are you retarded?

>there's a relevant difference between distros

There is

Arch and Debian are for fuckboi nerds who wipe their ass at the desk and store the shit laden paper wad in their drawer instead of getting up to use the bathroom.

openSUSE is for guys who regularly have sex with women.

I better uninstall openSUSE then

are you? you use an abysmal shit distro because it was hip 20 years ago

werks on my machine :-)

works on my machine :)
btw, replace your keyboard

Attached: 20180913_135105.jpg (4492x2988, 3.94M)

I'm gonna install gentoo tomorrow.

There is one thing that pisses me off about gentoo and that is how buttugly the logo is. What's it even supposed to be? A g? A pinguin?

Attached: 1536349100221.gif (480x320, 3.49M)

how do I install openSuse with KDE without downloading 4000 packages I won't use?

Make your own packages