You remember when people used to 'surf' the web?

You remember when most websites had links to other websites, and most where either independent sites or small businesses? Remember when businesses used to join trust rings that had listings for all of them?

You could literally spend hours 'surfing' on the web without using a search engine.

Have you noticed how dumb downed the web has gotten? I used to use it for education all the time, now the only two websites I ever visit are youtube and Jow Forums, sometimes wikipedia.

The last time I used the web for anything educational was when I linked to the federal bureau of statistics.

There are thousands of forums, but now they are all echo chambers, they don't tolerate opposing viewpoints or moderate people to enforce civil discourse.

Amazon is basically a glorified mail order catalogue, there is hardly anything you can get for amazon that won't cost you the difference in shipping that you would save from a local retailer.

The web keeps getting more and more corporate and dumb downed. I guess its like they say, no technology is idiot proof.

Attached: 1536453496479.jpg (229x229, 8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/7QLHliifTNI
neocities.org
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

There are products that are impossible to get locally. For example toothpaste with hydroxyapatite.
And now we can read 99% of scientific papers and books for free.
And we can watch pretty much any movie ever produced at at least 720p after waiting 5 for the beginning of the torrent to download.

>And now we can read 99% of scientific papers and books for free.
assuming you can find them, source them, and sort them from all the bogus buzzfeed articles.

We've basically destroyed print, nobody but the most insane narcissistic fame whore wants to write books anymore knowing they will go for 10 cents a copy on kindle.

youtu.be/7QLHliifTNI

Attached: progress.jpg (480x953, 79K)

Wrong.
Just go to scholar.google.com or any other specialized search engine, and then scihub.

>2018
>"surf the web" just like OP told you
>end up on interesting site
>get injected with malicious code
>all your data harvested

If facebook can do it openly why cant small sites do it more aggressively?
The internet is dead,deal with i.

yikes

I've given up any hope in the punditry of those who say (and have said in the past) that the web will carry us into a better informed golden age. All it is now is yet another entertainment and shopping platform, and while you can retort by saying "there's lots of interesting sites we just don't want anyone to know about us!" you've already ceded a cultural defeat, and the physical one will surely follow.

I had been called cuck in a random ancient youtube video about the Vietnam war.
The username was something along the lines of 90sgame90 or something.

>not having all javascript blocked
ISHYGDDT

Remember when websites, and software for that matter, were designed practicality first?

Now go to any website and it's dumbed down to please phone users, and typical software has any and all advanced settings hidden away or removed completely because they frighten the mom user. Also websites are designed to look sterile because it's cool and links are an eyesore so they're hidden somewheres. And also websites are not for displaying information but making money so there's about 900 megabytes worth of scripts, cookies and other bloat on any given site.

Attached: 45c99705.png (500x362, 38K)

The Internet is still a big circlejerk of websites. It has just become harder to get into the inner circle and get recommendations from others. This is of course due to Google.

These days its called SEO.

>its a generic browser vulnerability
>its a silent extension installation
>its a me Mario
please

To add. These days it are mostly 'influencers' who connect the dots.
Thats why businesses often try to bribe influencers.

I'M SURFING THE INFORMATION SUPERHIGHWAY

Internet is serious business

People figured out how to monetize it.

Then, companies like Google and Amazon consolidated power. It's still happening, with Amazon competing with Netflix and Microsoft purchasing Skype and GitHub.

Google literally punishes websites that make lists of friendly websites.

>his browser has vulnerabilities
>he isn't behind 7 proxies
>his isn't running Temple OS, the one OS completely free of viruses

Attached: 1509216692321.jpg (1280x720, 63K)

Yes, so what, we're the last cowboys. No worst, the last redskins.

I fucking miss trust/web rings. You could find so much useful information by checking another page in the webring for the topic you're researching. If the site you're on runs out of shit you don't know, a whole page of more shit you don't know (with very little overlap) was just a click away. You could be damn near an expert in any topic by the time you've exhausted all of the pages in the webring. And beyond possibly using a search engine to find the first site in the ring, you never needed to search a goddamn thing. I literally cannot remember using a search engine prior to 2003. Most of the time you could stumble onto a ring about the thing you wanted to know about by just putting a TLD extension at the end of what you're looking for, like if you wanted to know about metallurgy, you could type in metallurgy dot com and someone will have bought the domain and packed it full of info to make it the "hub" for the metallurgy webring

>his browser supports javascript
>his browser supports extensions
I did not know i am dealing with such plebians here.

Attached: netsurf.jpg (765x450, 56K)

I was 10 in 2005 and browsed weird online free games constantly.
Then I got into a quiz website and then an art website, never was into Facebook shit.
I hated being hounded to make a Facebook by every single family member and family friend and my own friends, I always hated Facebook and the setup was ugly and hard to navigate.
These days nobody does anything and everyone follows the same people and are on instagram/twitter, and they just always post selfies or status crap or whatever.
But I’m looking on the bright side though.

There’s so much resources on music theory and foreign languages.

Also lots of information on video game creation and all kinds of useful stuff, crocheting, there are still people posting their creations of needlefelted things and bead patterns, people still make video games, but it doesn’t seem as comfy place to post games like it use to be like on newgrownds, newgrownds has less fun creative games and more shit trying to be the next indie clone.

Websites used to be more diverse and have content created out of pure interest. The ads back then were banners or text links. Now it's mostly click baiting websites with very obtrusive in-your-face ads.

The internet gave us access to more knowledge and more products and services but most people aren't interested in learning and products are increasingly becoming crappier. You have more access, but it's more access to garbage.

Food used to taste better and had larger portions. Supermarket and brand-name cookies used to taste very good. Now they all taste like utter crap. I remember being able to buy chicken sandwiches for $1 each. Three of them was enough to make me full. The cost cutting extends to other products such as clothing. I remember the clothing I wore used to be made in USA was of very good quality and would last very long. Now they're all fall apart quickly.

Then you have drooling idiots proclaiming that society is advancing because they could get flashy $1k smartphones that serve merely as their bread and circus and psychological crutch so they don't care about ridiculous housing prices and a general rise in the cost of living.

Attached: 1484378789953.gif (499x281, 411K)

you remember when usenet was actually useable and not the spamshit that it's now because google decided to add it to its index and every pajeet on this planet started spamming news groups with blue pill ads?

>toothpaste with hydroxyapatite
elaborate. i'm always interested in toothpaste trivia

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 11.22.44 AM.png (954x288, 28K)

>hydroxyapatite
Apparently it's what teeth are made of. But I fail to see how rubbing it on your teeth will do anything.

remember for a while there was like a cold war with pop-up ads? Everybody started using them all the time until the web basically had a meltdown, everything had to rebuilt from the ground up without using javascript.

Maybe that'll happen again, marketing will get so intrusive and invasive that it will render the internet useless.

Plus remember all the hackers back in the day? If you told me today you could do all your banking online I would have told you you were nuts.

>.exe
>pebbit spacing
>/mnt/cringe not ~/Pictures/cringe
kys desu

pop-up blockers like uBlock work pretty well

I remember back in the day a lot of hackers were basically luddites, they wanted to tear everything down and make everything simple.

They would literally write viruses that were designed to just destroy and corrupt as much information as they could.

but thats my point, if they tear everything down, they will have to start over. If you just turn and burn every single file you can get your hands on, they would have to start from scratch.

We'd get our internet back again.

>There are thousands of forums, but now they are all echo chambers, they don't tolerate opposing viewpoints or moderate people to enforce civil discourse.
so pretty much like it was in the 90s

good to know

I'm just happy to be able to remember when internet was full of wonky fan-sites and user-generated content. We may live in a world where every single website is professionally designed and painstakingly optimized through data mining, but it's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

Attached: 1415345200610.gif (500x375, 371K)

People forget how fragile the internet is. Its basically connected overseas by a couple of cables and a handful of sattelites.

Telcom boxes basically have a padlock on them to keep people out, anyone could get inside one and dump their coffee on it or something.

You guys ever hear of Captain Crunch?

>2002
"Hey mate, let's play WCIII, I host the server on my machine
-Gib IP Bro
-Ok, but no rush
-Lmao, ok nab"

>2018
"Hey mate, let's play some ZoomerShit, I host the server on my machine
-Gib IP Bro
-Dude that's a local IP
-Y-yes and?
-You need a public IP to host a server, what's your public IP?
-I don't know
-You're behind a home router?
-Home router?
-The box
-Ah yes
-So what should I do to host a server?
-I dunno bro
-May be we can use some VPN server to create our LAN
-Heh' I hate using third party shit when I can do everything myself
-Well set up everything so your server is available from a public IP
-I don't know how to do it bro
-Me neither bro
-That feel when no gf
-Ah cya later, my wife is home
-..."

Attached: ronnie_filyaw-i_really_hate_this.jpg (900x578, 178K)

enter you're local ip into your browser bar, then look up the type of router you have and find the default password and username. Set up a static IP and change the port forwarding address to allow the port your game runs on.

uBlock won't help you anymore.
For example go to youtube and look at your recommendations in the sidebar. It's full of shit I've already seen at least 10 times. Go and make a new account and click on a single video and 80% if youtube that you'll see will be about this single video. You can not longer go on a journey from video to video because they use your data to lock you in a bubble. They try to make the user happy by locking everything else out what he could potentially dislike. Fuck this gay earth

based and techsupportpilled

use an addon / script to delete / reject cookies then

I've been using the internet since before most of Jow Forums was born. In many ways it was better when it was mainly run by hobbyists and governments hadn't caught on to it yet. The consolidation and commercialization of it was always inevitable though.
Fuck CGNAT. Now most internet users can't host anything.

De Nada

I miss wonky Dragonball Z geocities sites

neocities.org

Attached: ahkFWFK.jpg (1200x675, 230K)

Speaking of Geocities, it's funny to think that they had a 10MB limit for an entire site but now everything is so bloated that you'll barely get a single page in that.

I don't know why telcomms run dynamic IP assignments, it seems like a major vulnrability. Any hacker can reset their IP by tooling with their router, even a complete idiot can reset their external IP by unplugging their router, waiting 24 hours, then plugging it back in.

Fucking internet gestapo has started doing something called 'range banning' where they shut down your entire fucking neighborhoods access to the internet because they don't know how to handle dynamic IP addresses.

Could you imagine if the big companies did that? Like if amazon literally said, "Fuck, we can't seem to find this hacker who keeps trashing our server, lets just range ban the entire block."

>2018
>not automatic matchmaking

That problem will be fixed with IPv6. Also you'll never need, or be able to, change your ip address so Google, Facebook et cetera will always know who you are unless you pay for a vpn.

underrated

Suddenly 400 users can't access Amazon and buy their crap through mail order and start screaming at their tech support to fix their shit.

Or like if a hacker lifted a bunch of credit card profiles off a browser keyring and ordered 10,000 dildos while the consumers were screaming at credit companies asking what the fuck is going on?

Yeah, I really miss the internet from 10-15 years ago. Even in 2010 I was still having a blast but now everything has consolidated to a few major websites that are censoring everything.

dude, how hard is it to use a non-transparent proxy server? Route your shit through the netherlands, tracking it and subpeanaing the logs would be a nightmare, assumming they weren't automatically deleted like most anonomous proxxies are.

..the grief... it is good, user.

Attached: the_grief_it_is_good.gif (612x3629, 341K)

same thing happened with television. People had such high hopes for it in the beginning, they thought it was going to revolution education. Now we have 1000 channels and maybe a dozen of them are for educational purposes.

Government and ISP seems to HATE IPV6 for safety & security reasons (also spying and cuckolding).

It just seems like everyone has collectively migrated to the major sites. There used to be individual forums but now everyone's on Rebbit.

Some places have flown under the radar and are still comfy as fuck but the internet just seems to be fucked right now.

Hackers now would rather make money that fight for ideals. They are all in it for themselves, they are terrified of going to jail or ruining their career.

There used to be a ton of dropouts who already had records who couldn't get hired at mcdonalds but could crack WPA2 encryption in 10 seconds flat.

People today have more to lose.

>what is Tor

Then you get only the trends aka paul logan and peeewdiepieeeee. Shit is fucked. It's over. Rip

>every device gets a unique address
yeah, I'm sure governments hate this...

A free proxy server? Where do you reckon they get the funds to maintain the infrastructure?

Something which doesn't have capacity for billions of people to use at the same time.

>dude, how hard is it to use a non-transparent proxy server?
>implying those aren't banned by most sites or heavily captchad

>There are thousands of forums, but now they are all echo chambers, they don't tolerate opposing viewpoints or moderate people to enforce civil discourse.
Internet forums have always been ran by nerds on high on power. Where the hell have you been?

Yeah, there has been a change in control of the internet.

As computers grew more powerful, and GUIs and internet became commonplace, the computer was a tool for creation. People were crafting documents, websites, images, videos... A video editor was supposed to be included with each computer. Everyone was a multimedia creator.

In the same vein there was lots of websites, traffic was divided up between topics, groups etc. and as such it was much easier to launch a website and get some traffic. People don't browse the web, they stay on their social media. Google is extremely popularity-biased, making it very hard to find things that might match your search the best but isn't visited much. And sites that do get traffic rarely links to the source or related sites.

You can get traffic today, about as easily, but it will have to be on social media. On social media, close to all the creativity is stripped from you. I want to share images. On my own website I can get a great thumbnail layout, the theme I want, high resolution pictures with bulk download options, drag-n-drop uploading of entire folders... But no one will find it. On Instagram I get a awful layout, the contents takes up about 30%(!!!) of the screen, the viewers eyes are blasted with white, images are reduced to tiny resolutions, put in carousels that just hide them, have a complicated and slow upload method and have to be spaced out over time...

Start writing text files.

Attached: 400px-Jason_Scott_(2017_Portrait).jpg (400x599, 58K)

>every website breaks completely

Attached: 1327102378869.jpg (364x310, 19K)

READY

GET SET

WERE RIDING ON THE INTERNET

Surfing is almost always necesary anyway if you are looking for something non trivial. Search engines are shit and getting worse.

Like rural towns becoming city hubs as interstate highways are built to link them toward optimization, so all systems eventually gentrify.

In network theory this is attributed to the chain of triumph, vs. the web of ruin.

We continue to glorify the Wild West through tv/film, as we now glorify the Wild Web.

New, exciting, chaotic frontiers always emerge - like our yearning for space travel or any revolutionary technology. Just wait for the next wave.

>Open Netscape and search for anime boards on Alta Vista.
>Check out some Loli on my sweet color rich CRT.
>Log on to Yahoo chat and talk to some hot chick (who is actually a gay dude).
>Go to Usenet and see if anyone answered my question about compiling Slackware.

Oh yeah bro, I remember. Good times.

Attached: 4EA6CF71D8B3444C9BC77A9C5DD9550F.jpg (960x960, 106K)

>Log on to Yahoo chat and talk to some hot chick (who is actually a gay dude).
From 2001 to 2005 I met actual girls (with authentic vaginas and two chromosomes X) in various public chatroom or space conquests HTMLxPHP games, I fucked 3 and befriended 1. Last time I had sex was in 2008, just when Internet turned into shit.

Back then I could meet girls on the Internet easily and for free, I tried Meetic and OKCupid last years and couldn't get past the Hello-phase... I'm not a fucking Adonis but FFS, I'm not la fucking creatura either, what went wrong... Women on the Internet used to be fun and interesting (and vaguely slutty).

Turn off watch history and it won’t lock you in a bubble. Instead it will show videos related to the one you’re watching. What I like to do is keep my watch history on but have very diverse interests so that I don’t get stuck in a loop. I also click not interested on any of that e celeb bullshit.

Yes. Famous in the phreaking community. Wouldn't expect Jow Forums to know shit about that though.

>desu
>not t b h
kill yourself

>From 2001 to 2005 I met actual girls (with authentic vaginas and two chromosomes X) in various public chatroom.

Unironically #metoo. 1997 to 2001 was a good time to pick up vagina in public chat. Wouldn't try now but...

Captain Crunch aka John Draper was one of a few phreakers who popularized using the Captain Crunch whistle 2600hz, he just became the most well known (allegedly wasn't the one to even discover that the whistle emitted the perfect tone for phreaking phone systems).

He was banned from Defcon a few years ago for sexual misconduct.

>Maybe that'll happen again, marketing will get so intrusive and invasive that it will render the internet useless.

It already is happening. Browsing without an adblocker is almost impossible and using scriptblockers breaks the fuck out of most sites due to all the embedded cancer they insist on using to track your every move. Websites used to be about content. Now the content is merely bait to study your behavior. The internet is for shoving ads in your face now.

CYBERSPACE

Could we ever build our own set of sites and a community similar to the old internet, or is it too late?

CYBERSEX

Google scholar to find them; it filters out all of the crap.
Library Genesis to read them if they're locked behind a paywall.

social media and goolag monopoly killed the web

Attached: 76G57438t9sTPM.jpg (515x410, 53K)

>There are thousands of forums, but now they are all echo chambers
>now
somewhere along the line we traded wannabe mods with 14k+ post counts and power tripping mods for wannabe mods with 14k+ karma and power tripping mods. its all the same. only the ui got worse.

The old days were EPIC

Attached: CVycYjqWcAAIPe9.jpg (504x378, 36K)

>he doesnt know

Remember when we used to rub sticks together to make fire?
Now everyone has to buy matches or lighters or fire can't even be made.
The fire making process keeps getting more and more corporate and dumbed down. I guess it's like they say, no technology is idiot proof.

Again faggot OP just because things have changed and behaviour has changed doesn't mean that you can move back to 20 years ago and continue being as fucktarded as you want. It's just other people have moved on.

>I have never done academic research because I'm a summerfag zoomer

Thanks for your input.

HAHAHHA PHOTOSHOP LOL
Yeah things were great when you were 12 and didn't have responsibilities or any schedules beyond what was on cartoon network.

The thing is google wont let it happen with their built in blockers that pretty much write the ruleset every website has to follow.

The internet is not a free wild animal anymore its been domesticated, is too late. The internet is owned by a small group of companies now.

Analogies are a wonderful argumentative device (if you're a retard) because thanks to them an apple can also be an orange. You can establish relationship between concept infinitively distant from each other through association that only works in your mind: syllogism.

Congrat chap, your're stupid

Cyber what?!

>Infinitive distant from each other
They're not really. Technology changes the way we use things and we can still use the old things we used to the same exact way. You can still use the internet without using search engines. OP is just bitching about how the world has changed and it he doesn't like it.

>Wow things are so conceptually difficult to condense because I'm a brainlet so you must be stupid because I can't see the train of thought.

Congratulations moron, get some braincells.

Waaahhh, modern convenience with products delivered to your door and access to endless, organized information is so tough. KILL ME NOW PLZ

You just hate it because the normies are all into it. Get over yourself. Shit is 10000x better today. You just have to navigate around the botnets and social media trash and you're gold.

Attached: computer_glasses.gif (320x240, 883K)

where are all these forums at?