/spg/ - Smartphone General

The $300 iPhone Killer Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: _20180822_133840.jpg (1052x858, 209K)

Other urls found in this thread:

joybuy.com/651360889.html
gizguide.com/2018/08/pocophone-f1-camera-samples.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

iPhone killed itself

Even with mxplayer running ads, is it still the goat player?

explain to me how my 180€ redmi note 5 (eu version) 64/4 is worse than an iphone?
perhaps the camera, but else?

Why do iphone cameras make me more attractive than android cameras :(

Which iPhone?

s9+ beats iphone cameras

>no headphone jack on the next OnePlus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

RIP

Attached: Screenshot_20180913-175903.png (720x634, 170K)

>beats iphone cameras
That's not much of an accomplishment.

Attached: 1528048748675.png (612x874, 654K)

any good sub 5.5" android smartphone?
budget 150-200€

iPhone 8. Something about the camera makes my skin tone more soft and not as washed out

Moto G5 Plus, might be able to find the Moto X4 around 200€, or you could spend a little more and get a Sony XA2.

Gcam drastically improves camera performance on Android. Try it and then compare.

Should I get a Redmi Note 5? Pocophone is out of my budget.

yes, or Mi A2

I picked up my 64GB iPhone SE from a coworker for $160 last year. A friend of mine recently picked up a 32GB model off eBay for a little over $100. If the 5s is anything to go by, we will probably see support for the SE until 2020 or even beyond. So if you can nab one for cheap it's not a bad buy frankly. There are literally millions of them out there, just because Apple stopped selling it doesn't mean that you're barred from picking them up off the used market.

All that being said, I'm disappointed that the 5/5s form factor is being discontinued, because it was perfect for people who have a proper computer and just want a fairly basic, no-frills smartphone that isn't a total pain in the ass to carry around.

But why?
>3000 mAh battery
>no micro SD card slot
>no 3.5mm jack
At least the Mi 8 in some way makes up for these with the best Android SoC money can buy, an AMOLED panel and superior battery life.

>ishit
>support
lmao

Attached: 1513952850252.png (659x1921, 636K)

no notch on the screen
clean android
even if you have to wait weeks for the bootloader unlock you don't have to deal with MIUI
its also about the same price as the RN5 whioe the Mi 8 is over 100 more

American LTE Band Pocophone when?

is pocophone f1 worth buying?? i never owned xiaomi

TWRPs giving me error 7 but I know the rom is correct, it also fails to list my phones name it says "This device is ." should I just get rid of assert or do I need to do something else?

probably not until the F2 or whatever they name successor

>no notch on the screen
Just as on the Redmi Note 5.
>clean android
What's the point when Xiaomi sells some of the most developer friendly devices? Also, proprietary stock Android kind of defeats the purpose of "clean Android".
>its also about the same price as the RN5
Sure, but it doesn't have a micro SD card slot, a 3.5mm jack, but has a 3000 mAh battery for some reason. I already explained why the Mi 8 in some way makes up for these.

You need to update your firmware. It's a simple flashable zip file, but you need to find the one for your device.

How does this have anything to do with operating system support?

can't seem to find it on the oneplus 5 section will I have to look on third party sites?

You don't have support, you have malware killswitches.

Pocophone was announced to be coming to Latin America (Mexico, Chile, Uruguay, Colombia), that version should have at least some bands for US (band 2 and 4 at least) because that's what the carriers in those countries use.

>$300
It's at least 360 everywhere I look

Saturation and some other effects. You can saturate images on android manually using snapseed. You look better because they're automatically filtering your image to make you look unrealistic.

also should have mentioned going from linage 7.1 to 8.1 did a full wipe as well

It could be something else. Ask people on XDA.

Why can't poor people like you just die already

what I want to know is if any euro anons with experience using QPST/QXDM have been able to change the LTE modem code to change LTE band reception and see if it works
i get what you're saying, I think it is subjective or comes down to preference, also the Mi A2 picks up more bands than the RN5, which is appealing to me as a burger, still want to know if anyone has successfully used the Qualcomm modem diagnostic tools to change the modem code to pick up more LTE successfully

clearly made to push people to the more expensive models
welfare queens will buy it anyway

$299.99 here ($339.99 and a $40 off coupon)
joybuy.com/651360889.html

holy fuck, after doing some extensive camera phone research, pocophone f1 is a beast and less expensive too!!!!

pocophone 1 > iphone & s9+

get pocophone Jow Forumsros

true iPhone output look alike canon camera flat and realistic, otherwise damn android making my skin like sony/nikon camera weird yellowish orange skin.

no it's the antennae too, even you can 1337haxxor enabling more bands you still need antennae to support. I remember back in sony xperia z* series day they have both locale and international version even with unlock band/custom rom you can't use it because lol no antennae.

What magisk modules do y'all use

Redpill me on Sony phones. Which one has the best camera?

In what way Pocophone's camera is better? I've tried it at the shop and honestly it's not as good as other flagship models

hey lads manlet here
i'm looking for a phone not too big, this is somewhat max 145mm. what really need is good camera so i'm thinking about s7 or nokia 6.1
there'll be no official roms for s7 after oreo but i think someone will work them right? suggestions also welcome.

Attached: 1536749551225.png (602x578, 133K)

Iphone has had the worst camera on the market for decade now

The newest one, obviously

for instance, "Charles darwin" writing is more sharper and clearer

Attached: comparison.png (1032x864, 1.27M)

XZ2 Compact

Try using Gcam.

>Telephoto
You've got the S9+'s secondary lens in that comparison instead of the main one. And try comparing them in low light, that's what really separates decent cameras from great ones.

what do you mean it's the antennae? the antennae is kust a piece of wire connected to the body of the phone, the modem is what determines what bands are picked up or not

is this real?

you should get a job

i think there's something else to it than the antennae, like maybe a Vendor Library? I know MTK modems require a Vender Library to communicate with the Modem Daemon to get it to do it's job, is there something similar to this in Qualcomm modems?

trying to flash twrp on mi8 and getting stuck when i run
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
just sits there in cmd, no sending 'recovery' either. any1 know whats wrong ://

says the projecting NEET

gizguide.com/2018/08/pocophone-f1-camera-samples.html

look at sample photos, you can't beat that

also look at chart!!!!

save your money

Attached: index.png (948x1533, 449K)

What is your honest opinion on the iphone XR? It looks like a solid piece of equipment if you prefer iphones to chinkshit.
>tfw hands probably too small for XS max

put the file path to twrp.img, can just drag the file in after recover

Is it there when you do fastboot devices?

Thanks, but it's too expensive for a fat phone without an audio jack.

It's not that simple you know? Not him, but in my contry the minimum wage is 500€. Everything else is cheap - rent, food, restaurants, whatever - but for technology the price remains the same. An iphone costs 1300€, for example.

OG Pixel? XZ1 Compact?

I don't see the point in XR when you can get the iPhone X for almost the same price

ya

i assume you mean do fastboot flash recovery C:\xx\xx\xx\twrp.img ? doesnt work. I already have the prompt open in the folder it and adb etc are located

The XR has the updated processor, same as XS. I really don't think its a downgrade other than the screen is LCD instead of OLED with slightly less ppi and camera is worse (who honestly gives two fucks).

I finally received my pocomeme. It's really damn fast.
I've started the 72h wait for the bootloader unlock. Do you suggest anything else?

try fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk C:\etc

>slighty less ppi
It's 326ppi vs 458ppi, that's a pretty major difference.

back up your NVRAM partition to ensure you don't blank your IMEI

What irks me about Poco's cam is no OIS, I know you can't expect it for the price, I'd still trade the second camera for it.

that didnt work, but I did fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk twrp.img and it failed, no such file or directory.
Then i did just flash recovery .img and it failed the same. hm

The phone itself feels great with the matte, grippy finish, except for the middling display. The slight blue shift doesn't really bother me but the dark gamma is an entirely different issue. Thankfully it's fixable with software. Once the display is properly calibrated, it's pretty decent although probably not on par with Samsung flagships.

Pure Android is really nice though, it's simple and intuitive. There is a couple of features that I've come to love, like how you can set the Pixel to automatically unlock when you pick it up from the table or out of the pocket or double tapping the screen to wake the phone. The camera is great of course especially with living objects like people or pets.

I wouldn't pay the MSRP but since you can get one for $500 -600 easily these days it's a no brainer.

i mean seriously, what do you expect from a phone under 400? just be happy it's got EIS on the camcorder

I'm out of ideas then, I'd say to try in a new adb terminal and try dragging the img file in. make sure your device is connected too, sometimes on reboot it will disconnect

>xperia costs 1k
Hahahahahah

Any tips on buying an used iPhone SE? Im nervous of the battery being shit

Thanks for pointing that out, you're right. Its actually worse then the 6S. Hmm...still I think it won't look bad at all.
Might be worth picking up a discounting X instead though.

Google Pixel XL is where it's at

Camera better in low light than pocomeme and still up there with the best in every aspect

Can get one on ebay for ~$120 USD

You have to put up with a few chips or cracks on the back/edges to get it for that price, but who gives a shit so long as the screen and camera lens is untouched

Chin

>new iphones announced
>tons of new local classifieds for selling iphones
lmaooooooo o hope no schmucks buy an iphone x for the $800-$850 that people are asking for

battery can be shit, there’s a replacement program through the end of the year — apple battery replacement for $40 until the end of 2018

Thanks for posting the photo compare thing, it's nice seeing these side by side.

Attached: Poco vs Mi 8 vs Mix 2.png (1360x768, 906K)

Nokia Smartphones good? The 9 has my attention.

Attached: nokia_9_twitter_benjamin_geskin_1536325276658.jpg (800x450, 29K)

Good? Sure, but will receive as much updates as HMD Global decides. Two years of updates are promised at least.

Just check the battery health in settings. And remember you can change the battery through Apple for $29 until the end of the year.

Nokias are great, but I wouldn't get it if it's those cameras that mainly got your attention, doubt the result will be impressive.

test

Estoy loco por el poco

Why no other mobile browser supports plugins?

Attached: new222-21-1400x720[1].png (1400x720, 83K)

Is the pixel/pixel xl still usable and worth it?

6 is terrible, 6.1 is good, and that 9 is gonna be b great

Mfw I just wanted Samsung to pull out an updated Galaxy S7 with slightly bigger screen (I have S6 and planning to use it at least a year). Honestly haven't found an alternative.

Attached: Beavis as adult.jpg (557x820, 43K)

I just spent my entire lunch break listening to people race about the new iPhone

it's a hardware thingy, like QUALCOMM snapdragon 625/636/450/430 support quick charge, but a lot xiaomi Redmi/note with that soc don't have a quick charge 2.0/3.0/4.0

Look at their budget A or J lines

Yeah, pixel is still usable. Whether it's worth it depends on the price you pay

Reposting

no EIS for 4k videos tho but thats ok

I wonder if it will look better as carbon than twilight.

Attached: UMIDIGI Z2 Pro Carbon Q1.png (852x711, 429K)

Best smartphone for photography?

Attached: BLINILOVECAT.jpg (811x739, 119K)

Overpriced piece of garbage with a shit screen and relatively shit camera to the pixel kills it how?

Attached: Screenshot_20180913-145300.png (1440x678, 255K)

re-pair the connection.

Happened to me in my camaro with an Iphone 6s, LG G4, and Nokia 6 but not with a kyocera shitphone. Clearing the connections and setting again fixed it.

the quadcore had me wondering about it, but the other guy is right, gently used for 170 is pretty good.

Why not. Basically waiting for Nokia 9. If it's excellent I'll wait over a year and have it for a cheaper price.